Former Monarchies of Aden, Yemen and the Southern Arabian Sultanates

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maflahi Sheikhdom.

Maflahi Sheikhdom -

Split from The Sheikhdoms of Upper Yafar.
Established 1850. The Al-Maflahi Dynasty.
In 1959 joined Federation of Arab Emirates.
In 1960s joined Federation of South Arabia.
The last Reigning Sheikh was H.E.Sheikh Kassim (Qasim) bin Abdal-Rahaman Al-Maflahi (1920-1967).
After the British pulled out of Aden & South Arabia in 1967, the Sheikh was deposed and the Sheikhdom abolished by the new Marxist Peoples Republic of South Yemen.
All up-to-date information on The Al-Maflahi Dynasty and Family would be helpful.
Ruhije

Last edited:
Mawsata (Naqib State of Mawsata).

The State of Mawsata -

Established by 1780. Ruled by The Al-Harhara Dynasty.
Linked by Family Lineage to Sheikhdom & Sultanate of Upper Yafa.
In 1860 two family lineages divided.
The Ruler of Mawsata State was titled as - The Naqib of Mawsata.
In 19th Cen came under British influence and control.
When Britain created the Federation of South Arabia, the Reigning Naqib was Ahmad bin Abi Bakr bin Ali Al-Harhara (1940-1963).
His Heir and successor, Aydarus bin Ahmad Al-Harhara (1963-67) was the last Reigning Naqib of Mawsata.
The last Ruler/Head of the 2nd/other divided family line was Salih bin Husayn bin Salih Al-Harhara (1959-67).
He was deposed and Mawsata State abolished (after Britain left South Arabia) in 1967 by the new Marxist regime in South Yemen.
Further information on Mawsata & The Al-Harhara Naqibs would be helpful.
Ruhije

Last edited:
Sheikhdom of Dubi.

The Sheikhdom of Dubi - (Dubiyya) -

Established and under British protection control by 18th Cen.
Full title of Sheikhs of Dubi - Shaykh al-Mashyakha al-Dubiyya.

The last Reigning Sheikh of Dubi (Dudiyya) was H.E.Sheikh Abd al-Rahman bin Salih (1946-1967), who was deposed in 1967 (after Britain left Aden) and the Sheikhdom abolished by the new Marxist regime of South Yemen.
Any further information on the Sheikhdom and ruling family would be very helpful please.
Ruhije

Hadrami Sheikhdom.

The Hadrami Sheikhdom -

Established and under British control by 1820.
I know very little information on this South Arabian Sheikhdom, and im not actually sure if it ruled itself independently or was under the sovereignty of another Sheikhdom or Sultanate?

In 1967 the last Reigning or ruling Sheikh of Hadrami was H.E.Sheikh Abd al-Qawi bin Muhammad Al-Hadrami (1959-1967).

After the British left in 1967 The Hadrami Sheikhdom was abolished by the new Marxist South Yemen Republic.
More information on this and the Hadrami Sheikhs would be very helpful please?
Ruhije

Last edited:
Sheikhdom of al-Hawra.

The Sheikhdom of al-Hawra - (Hawra / Al-Hawra).

Established by the 19th Cen.
In 1890 came under British Protectorate control.
The last independent Reigning Sheikh was H.E.Sheikh Awad bin Salih Ba Shahid (al-Hawra) 1917-1951.
Between 1951-1967 The Sheikhdom of al-Hawra was either disputed rulership or was incorporated in to another Sheikhdom or Sultanate.
Sheikhdom abolished in 1967 by new Marxist regime of South Yemen.

All further information would be very helpful and welcome, thank you.
Ruhije

Sheikhdom of al-Irqa.

The Sheikhdom of al-Irqa - (Irqa / Al-Irqa).

Established by 19th Cen.
In 1890 came under British Protectorate control.
The last Reigning or ruling Sheikh was H.E.Sheikh Ahmad bin Abd'Allah bin Abd'Allah bin Awad Ba Das (al-Irqa) 1949-51.
Between 1951-1967 The Sheikhdom of al-Irqa was disputed rulership or was incorporated in to another Sheikhdom or Sultanate.
In 1967 the Sheikhdom was abolished by the new Marxist regime of South Yemen.

All new information on this Sheikhdom would be very hepful.
Ruhije

Qu'aiti Sultanate of Shihr and Mukalla

Qu'aiti State in Hadhramaut.
Qu'aiti Sultanate of Shihr & Mukalla.

Established independent rule 1866 - The Qu'aiti Dynasty.
In 1881 Shihr and Mukalla were united as one Sultanate.
Unlike the Sultanates & Sheikhdoms of Western Aden in The British Aden Protectorate and Federations of Arab Emirates & South Arabia, the Quaiti Dynasty ruled over a large expansive State in the Hadhramaut Eastern region towards the border with Oman & Muscat.
The Sultanate of Shihr & Mukalla's Capital was Al-Mukalla.
In 1888 became British Protectorate.

The Qu'aiti Sultanate Ruling Family were closely connected through a long history of military service to The Nizam of Hyderbad in India.
The last Sultan's father, HRH Sultan Awadh II bin Saleh Al-Qu'aiti (1956-1966) was married to Princess Sahibzadi Nazirunissa Begum, Granddaughter of The 6th Nizam of Hyderbad (Mahmud Ali Pasha).

In 1963 Sultanate became part of the new British Protectorate of South Arabia (1963-1967).
The Protectorate of South Arabia covered the three large Sultanate States of Hadhramaut, in the eastern region of South Arabia furthest away from Aden Protectorate.
The Protectorate of South Arabia ended in 1967.

The last Reigning Sultan of Shihr & Mukalla was HRH Sultan Ghalib II bin Awadh bin Saleh Al-Qu'aiti (Oct 1966-Sept 1967).
He was born in London in 1948.
He was deposed in Sept 1967 and the Sultanate was abolished in Nov 1967 (after the British pulled out of South Arabia) by the new Marxist South Yemen Republic.
Sultan Ghalib II and his family went in to exile to Britain.
Sultan Ghalib II Al-Qu'aitis son & Heir is HH Crown Prince Saleh bin Ghalib Al-Qu'aiti, who was born in London in 1977.

The Quaiti Dynasty Sultanate of Shihr & Mukalla have their own excellent website.

Last edited:
Modern Yemen and The Sultanates & Sheikhdoms.

It is a a possibility that Yemen becomes a Federation of Emirates and Sultanates?

No Cory, i'd think it most unlikely that any new Federation of Emirates and Sultanates could happen in Yemen with any official Government status.
The Yemen Republic that united North & South Yemen in the 1990s-2000s is a very different place as it includes the former Kingdom of Yemen in the North and the former Sultanates & Sheikhdoms of Aden & Hadhamaut in the South, as well as the long history of the civil wars and the old Marxist regimes legacy of rule in the South.
Also the old Federations and Protectorates were British inforced unions and often unpopular as they limited and controlled the Sultans & Sheikhs freedoms, although gave them protection against unrest and overthrow!
However many, if not most, of the former Sultanates & Sheikhdoms non-reigning families of the South either stayed in South Yemen or have since returned and are living in their Tribal regions and ancestoral homes. Although many of the old Sultanates palaces have become National museums or Government buildings.
It is worth considoring too that in much of the recent unrest and Tribal divisions in Yemen with anti-Salih demos etc on our Tv News programmes, some of this must inevitably include Tribal loyalties and issues of the Sultanates & Sheikhdoms Tribes, even if this is little known or not mentioned on Western European Tv News reports!

Kathiri Sultanate of Seiyun.

The Kathiri State in Hadhramaut.
The Kathiri Sultanate of Seiyun.

Sultanate established in the 15th Cen. The Kathiri Dynasty.
Kathiri State of Seiyun in Hadhramaut had long tribal feuding with neighbouring Qu'aiti State of Shihr in Hadhramaut.
Established as independent under British influence 1847.
The Sultanates Capital was the town of Seiyun.
In the 19th Cen came under British Aden Protectorate c.1888.
In 1963 became part of new British Protectorate of South Arabia (1963-Nov 1967).
The Protectorate covered the three large Sultanates of the eastern Hadhramaut region, that were not part of the western Aden regions Federation of South Arabia.
The last Reigning Sultan, HRH Sultan Al-Husayn bin Ali Al-Kathiri (1949-1967), was deposed and the Sultanate abolished (after the British pulled out from South Arabia) in 1967 by the new Marxist South Yemen Republic.
Any further information on The Sultanate of Seiyun, and more up-to-date information on The Kathiri Dynasty & Family would be very welcome please.
Ruhije

Mahra Sultanate of Qishn and Socotra.

The Mahra State in Hadhranaut.
The Mahra Sultanate of Qishn & Socotra.

Sultanate established in the 16th Cen - The Banu Afrar Dynasty.
Sultanate in the Mahra Region of Hadhranaut, included Mahra and Ghayda regions and the Island of Socotra in the Arabian sea.
The Sultanates Capitals were Qishn in Mahra, and Tamrida on Socotra Island.
In 1866 became a British Protectorate.
In 1963 became part of The Protectorate of South Arabia (1963-Nov 1967), which covered the three large Sultanates of Hadhranaut.
The last Reigning Sultan of Qishn & Socotra was HRH Sultan Abdullah bin Ashoor Al-Afrar (1966-1967).
He was deposed in 1967 (after Britain withdrew from South Arabia) and The Sultanate abolished by the new Marxist Peoples Republic of South Yemen.

I would very much appreciate any further information on The Sultanate and Al-Afrar Dynasty, and any up-to-date information on the Sultan's Family and situation, thank you.
Ruhije

Modern Yemen and The Sultanates return!

It is a a possibility that Yemen becomes a Federation of Emirates and Sultanates?

Excellent website of Al-Qu'aiti Sultanate Dynasty - Al Qu'aiti Royal Family

The Qu'aiti website gives you a window in to the former Sultanate, its history, family dynasty, photos of family Sultans and Sultanate.

I also read a couple of articles recently, and two interviews with a Sultan and a Sheikh, regarding the return of some Sultans and Sheikhs to their former ancestoral homes in Yemen, since the unification of the North and South.
Two of the returned Sultans are in the former Sultanates of Shihr & Mukalla, and Lahej.
Many of the Sultans larger Palaces are now State museums and Government buildings, but other family houses, properties, and some land estates have returned to the Sultans & Sheikhs families in restitution agreements.
The return of those Sultans to Yemen in the 1990s was greated by large enthusiastic and emotional cheering crowds!

Last edited:
Page one of this thread seems have got stuck or set on "Wide-screen" since the introduction maps have been added at top page 1. So i can not see or read the right hand side edge of screen.
Is this an error or just my screen? Thank you.

But also i must say, these excellent maps added post at begining of this thread are very helpful for information on these Protectorates - Aden and South Arabia.

Last edited:
:previous:
The map size has been reduced.

Maps of Aden and South Arabian Monarchies.

These maps that Warren has now added in posts on page one of this thread of the Aden and South Arabian Sultanates, Sheikhdoms, and Emirates are really quite excellent and help clarify and explain the situations of these Monarchies in the various Protectorates and Federations that i have referred to and written about in my posts on the Sultanates and Sheikhdom States that made up South Arabia and then South Yemen, now present day Republic of Yemen.

I have an update with al kathiri dynasty

I will be more than happy to update you on al kathiri dynasty,
Can you advice me on how can i obtain my dynasty coat of arms and title, knowing that there is no Heraldry authority in the protectorate of south Arabia in the present time but i reside in Canada currently; I am a decedent of Al Husayn ibn Ali, Kathiri sultan of the Protectorate of South Arabia. The Sultanate of al-Kathīrīyah was apart of the British Empire, AL kathiri dynasty started to diminish now a days but the family name did not. all the supporting documents of my grandfather are available upon request.

Kind Regards,
khaled Ben Salman

I will be more than happy to update you on al kathiri dynasty,
Can you advice me on how can i obtain my dynasty coat of arms and title, knowing that there is no Heraldry authority in the protectorate of south Arabia in the present time but i reside in Canada currently; I am a decedent of Al Husayn ibn Ali, Kathiri sultan of the Protectorate of South Arabia. The Sultanate of al-Kathīrīyah was apart of the British Empire, AL kathiri dynasty started to diminish now a days but the family name did not. all the supporting documents of my grandfather are available upon request.

Kind Regards,
khaled Ben Salman

Please write to me at vladimir-gorsh@mail.ru

I'm trying to find information about the Alkathiri dynasty of South Arabia. If anyone can direct me to where I can obtain information on them I will greatly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom