Ancient Kingdoms of the Balkans, Greece and Cyprus

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anybody know Prince Davide Pozzi di Santa Sofia?

I just stumbled across the name of Prince Davide Pozzi di Santa Sofia, who is the king de jure of the former Greek state of Epirus. Does anybody have any further information on him? Is he a fake, or a real royal?
Thanks for your time everybody!

Fake.
see here and more so the Wiki history of Northern Epirus, a disputed region along the Albanian-Greek border which was formally incorporated into Albania in 1921. There is no mention of any legitimate or illegitimate monarchical institution.

The Rogozen Treasure (Bulgarian), called the find of the century, was discovered by chance in 1985 by a tractor driver digging a well in his garden in the Bulgarian village of Rogozen. It consists of 165 receptacles, including 108 phiales, 55 jugs and 3 goblets. The objects are silver with golden gilt on some of them with total weight of more than 20 kg. The treasure is an invaluable source of information for the life of the Thracians, due to the variety of motifs in the richly decorated objects. It is dated back to the 5th-4th centuries BC.
Rogozen Treasure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv_XdOuGX2M&feature=related

Fake.
see here and more so the Wiki history of Northern Epirus, a disputed region along the Albanian-Greek border which was formally incorporated into Albania in 1921. There is no mention of any legitimate or illegitimate monarchical institution.

Fake?????
The First Bulgarian Empire (modern Bulgarian: Първo Българско царство, Parvo balgarsko tsarstvo) was a medieval state founded by the Bulgars in c. 680[1][2] in the north-eastern Balkans[3][4] and disintegrated in AD 1018 after its annexation to the Byzantine Empire. At the height of its power it spread between Budapest and the Black Sea and from the Dnieper river in modern Ukraine to the Adriatic. It was succeeded by the Second Bulgarian Empire, established in 1185. The official name of the country since its very foundation was Bulgaria.[5]
The Empire played a major role in European politics and was one of the strongest military powers of its time. In 717–718 the coalition of Byzantines and Bulgarians decisively defeated the Arabs in the siege of Constantinople thus saving Eastern Europe from the threat of an Arab invasion and Muslim conquest of Europe, and later destroyed the Avar Khanate expanding its territory to the Pannonian Plain and the Tatra Mountains. Bulgaria served as an effective shield against the constant invasions of nomadic peoples from the east in the so called second wave of the Great Migration. Pechenegs and Cumans were stopped in north-eastern Bulgaria and after a decisive victory over the Magyars in 896 they were forced to retreate to and permanently settle down in Pannonia.
In the late 9th century, the Bulgarian empire reached its apogee, including most of the Balkans in its territory. After the annihilation of the Byzantine army in the battle of Anchialus in 917, the Bulgarians laid siege to Constantinople in 923 and 924. The Byzantines eventually recovered, and in 1014 under Basil II, inflicted a crushing defeat on the Bulgarians at the Battle of Kleidion.[6] By 1018, the last Bulgarian strongholds had surrendered, and the First Bulgarian Empire had ceased to exist.[7]
The Bulgars brought new construction and battle techniques to Europe. The first Bulgarian cities were made of large monolith stones unlike the Roman brick-build fortresses. With an area of 27 km² the capital Pliska was among the largest towns in Europe. The Inner town had a sewerage and floor heating long before cities such as Paris and London. After the adoption of Christianity in 864 Bulgaria became the cultural center of Slavic Europe. Its leading cultural position was further consolidated with the invention of the Cyrillic alphabet in Preslav, with some credit to the Bulgarian scholar Clement of Ohrid. According to some historians the schools of Preslav and Ohrid were the second universities in Europe after the University of Constantinople.

Bulgarian History The territory of the present-day Bulgaria has been inhabited since the New Stone Age and the New Copper Age and continues to reveal exceptional archeological findings.

Bulgaria is one of the oldest European States with 20-century-old history and traditions. Modern Bulgaria is situated in Southeastern Europe, in the Balkan Peninsula – a busy crossroad of ancient cultures.
For centuries, the roads passing through the territory of the country have been connecting Europe with Asia and Africa . Four common European transport corridors, connecting West and North Europe with the eastern and southern part of the continent, cross their roads here.

Most archaeological discoveries have been made near Kazanluk, Karlovo, Nova Zagora, Veliko Turnovo, Vidin, Sofia, Teteven, Troyan, Kurdjali and in the Rhodope Mountains.

The world-famous culture of the Tracians developed on the territory of today’s Bulgaria during pre-historic and ancient times. The oldest gold treasure in the world - the Vulchitrun gold treasure (13-12 century BC), is of Thracian origin.The Thracian heritage influenced significantly the Bulgarian culture and is part of the foundations of the European civilization.

The first Thracian state unions emerged in the 11th century BC and flourished in the 7th-6th centuries BC. In the 1st century BC their lands were conquered by Rome, and after the 5-th century AD they were incorporated in the Byzantine Empire. The Thracians were later assimilated by the Slavs who settled in the Balkan Peninsula in the 6-th century AD. The most famous people born in ancient Trhace were Orpheus – the greatest singer of all time - and Spartacus – a gladiator and leader of the biggest slave uprising in Antiquity. According to the archeological and historical data, on the territory of the present-day Bulgaria the Thracians planted their vines and produced the honey-sweet black wine, described in Homer’s Illiad.

In the 8th - 6th century B.C. settled on the present day Bulgarian Black Sea cost and built fortified port cities such as Odessos (Varna), Mesambria (Nessebur), Apolonia (Sozopol).

Bulgaria is also known for its picturesque nature and rich cultural heritage. According to the statistics, the country ranks third in Europe only after Greece and Italy for the number of its valuable archeological monuments. Fake????

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any information concerning Giuseppe II Said (born 1943) and his family? I read on a link in a previous reply that he is an heir of the Kingdom of Cyprus. And can anyone tell me how he is a claimant?

I have a friend who sees the former crownprince of Croatia on a regular two times a year basis. she is always impressed by his lovely character and manners. He is though a priest, maybe the only working model to not be killed from Tito's soldiers! As a catholuc priest he has no children and this is how they let him alive!

The last King of Croatia was Prince Aimone, Duke of Aosta is it a grandson of his?

I am puzzled who it can be too. As far as I know the only man who can be considered 'former Crown prince of Croatia' is the present duke of Aosta. And he is not a priest.

King of Croatia was also one of the titles of the Austrian emperors. But I am not aware of anybody alive that can be considered former crown prince of Croatia ánd is also a priest.

Last edited:
I was simply asking if it was a grandson of Prince Aimone, Duke of Aosta?

You did not quote my post, this is why I asked back if you are asking me.

I do bot think so, as the person you mention has never been king, but was onky designed to be.
Unfortunately I do not know the crown prince myself.
He passed it on to a nephew from Argentina only a few months ago.

I am puzzled who it can be too. As far as I know the only man who can be considered 'former Crown prince of Croatia' is the present duke of Aosta. And he is not a priest.

King of Croatia was also one of the titles of the Austrian emperors. But I am not aware of anybody alive that can be considered former crown prince of Croatia ánd is also a priest.

As an aside: if you do not want people to ask you questions perhaps participating in an online forum is not the best thing for you to do. The whole point here is that people interact with each other, and preferably in a friendly way.

I asked wether he referred to my post because there was no quote, so no need to suggest something negative about me!

Last edited by a moderator:

As I do not look into this thread very often, please excuse me,
I did not want to post a private photo, took some time.
here you are. he has an impressing personality and is very nice person.
https://www.sn.at/salzburg/chronik/ein-kronprinz-im-bettelorden-24518485

Pater Zlatko Spehar, OFM
indeed would have made a very good King in means of being a real humanitarian!
Nice to read from you Helen.

Pater Zlatko Spehar, OFM
indeed would have made a very good King in means of being a real humanitarian!
Nice to read from you Helen.

thank you vivat.
I found out I knew him but not knowing he is a prince but never mind, he is a good priest.
in fact most everybody seems to like him and his knowledge and wisdom is beyond legend.

List of monarchs of Cyprus:
  1. Guy (1192–1194)
  2. Aimery (1194–1205)
  3. Hugh I (1205–1218)
  4. Henry I (1218–1253) (Le Gros)
  5. Hugh II (1253–1267) (Huguet)
  6. Hugh III (1267–1284)
  7. John I (1284–1285)
  8. Henry II (1285–1324)
  9. Amalric of Tyre (1306–1310), regent
  10. Hugh IV (1324–1359)
  11. Peter I (1359–1369)
  12. Peter II (1369–1382) (Perrin)
  13. James I (1382–1398)
  14. Janus (1398–1432)
  15. John II (1432–1458)
  16. Charlotte (1458–1464 and 1459–1464 with her husband Louis of Savoy)
  17. James II (1464–1473) (Jacques le Bâtard)
  18. James III (1473–1474)
  19. Catherine Cornaro (1474–1489)

Back
Top Bottom