The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 187
Alexander, like Napoleon, sought to remake the world in his own image. Like other Greek monarchies of the time, Macedon was a constitutional monarchy, with a council and assembly- as opposed to the absolute monarchies of the time whose rulers bore the title "Tyrant" instead of "King".
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Kasumi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ****, Taiwan
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asander View Post
...Was Alexander, a king, equal with his subjects and peoples that he conquered?
Definetely he was not, because Alexander believed himself to be a son of the god Apollo since childhood. "The equality" he ment was the law and judgement equal for all his subjects. And that's all. No slaves are known to become aristocrats during Alexander's ruling.
So, no socialism at all. Don't worry!
By the way, the Mongol rulers such as Temuchin considered their subjects to be equal too, regardless the subjects' backgrounds or ethnicity. The punishment for breaking the law was equal for all - death.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 AM
Asander's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by David V View Post
Alexander, like Napoleon, sought to remake the world in his own image. Like other Greek monarchies of the time, Macedon was a constitutional monarchy, with a council and assembly- as opposed to the absolute monarchies of the time whose rulers bore the title "Tyrant" instead of "King".
Yes, but those councils where not formal? Because Bosworth says that the ruling of king Philip was autocratic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
I remember reading a trilogy on Alexander and in it, the soldiers addressed him by his name. This was a fictional work,though, so I'm not sure how much truth it contains
Actually, I donít think that somebody knows how his soldiers adressed, but you may speculate (why not?) regarding this aspect - Philip and his soldiers had a very good relation based on feasts and fighting, and Alexander also had too. Lane Fox says that one of the elements that make Alexander fascinating, is the lack of informations;and because of that, your imagination has clear way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
Definetely he was not, because Alexander believed himself to be a son of the god Apollo since childhood. "The equality" he ment was the law and judgement equal for all his subjects. And that's all. No slaves are known to become aristocrats during Alexander's ruling.
So, no socialism at all. Don't worry!
The son of Apollo, as you say, was fighting together with ordinary soldiers and much more, he always attacked first the line of the enemy followed by his companios, as Peter Green says. According to Plutarch, he refuses the water and other foods when the others donít have any; he took a barbarian woman to be his wife and offered equal right and privilege to all barbarians who inhabited Asia.

If Alexander was the son of a god, as you say, afterall maybe he didnít want to be equal with others, but this fact donít imply that he didnít wanted equality for all, except him. This is just an assumption and I truly hope you will understand what I want to say.

PS: I am not a socialist or comunist.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Kasumi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ****, Taiwan
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asander View Post
The son of Apollo, as you say...
It's not my belief, it's a common known historical fact. Lurk Plutarch, Diodorus or Arrian's 'Anabasis Alexandri'.
As "a son of God" Alexander believed he could overcome more difficulties then commoners.
I don't see any conflicting clauses here. Do you?
The Greek gods had often act like human beings, they had a plenty of good and bad features. They took part in actions, see Homer's Iliad for example. King Alexander was not for "equality" in your modern sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asander View Post
PS: I am not a socialist or comunist.
It's obvious.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Asander's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
It's not my belief, it's a common known historical fact. Lurk Plutarch, Diodorus or Arrian's 'Anabasis Alexandri'.
As "a son of God" Alexander believed he could overcome more difficulties then commoners.
I don't see any conflicting clauses here. Do you?
The Greek gods had often act like human beings, they had a plenty of good and bad features. They took part in actions, see Homer's Iliad for example. King Alexander was not for "equality" in your modern sense.
Yes, I've said 'as you say' because I don't really believe in all this "son of a God" story, although the ancient sources speak about this. You know that Alexander was not the first who wanted kinship with a god; his father Philip, Lysander or Menecrates wanted also to be like gods. And they overcome more difficulties then others? They truly believed that? I think that Alexander was more intelligent and comprehensive, he was beyond this silly beliefs and saw the analogy with a god as a political propaganda regarding the egyptians, persians and others. Ancient sources (I don't remember exactly which one) says that when the persian queens enterend Alexander's tent, they bowed in front of Hefaistion, not Alexander. But the king replied that "here, all are named Alexander". Also, I do believe that Plutarch mentions how in a battle Alexander was bad injured, and he told to the physician who attend him someting like "look, this is human blood, not gods blood".


If Alexander, as a god, had to endure hard difficulties, how about his generals? Hefaistion, Ptolemy, Nearchus and others. They marched side by side with Alexander. Are they gods too?

Anyways, you've said that Alexander believed in equal judgement and law for all, greeks and barbarians. Somehow, I do agree and for me it's enough. Thank you so much, Kasumi.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Sit Sit is offline
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pazardzhik, Bulgaria
Posts: 14





There are shrewd glance .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asander View Post
I don't think that I may find the book so quick, that's why I want somebody to explain this to me: it could be some truth in the fact that Alexander was a partisan of equality among all? Or this idea is just silly?
I don't know about Alexander's ideas about equality, but as he was of Macedonian/Greece descent, I doubt that women and slaves would be counted as equals to free-born males. You might find some information about Alexander's ideas if you search for Aristotele's theories about equality, as Aristotele was a teacher of Alexander and most certainly a source of influence.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 AM
madeleineleigh's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vic, Australia
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
Definetely he was not, because Alexander believed himself to be a son of the god Apollo since childhood. "The equality" he ment was the law and judgement equal for all his subjects. And that's all. No slaves are known to become aristocrats during Alexander's ruling.
So, no socialism at all. Don't worry!
By the way, the Mongol rulers such as Temuchin considered their subjects to be equal too, regardless the subjects' backgrounds or ethnicity. The punishment for breaking the law was equal for all - death.
Just a little correction: Olympias told her son or may have told her son Alexander that his father was Zeus (not Apollo).

Quote:
According to the ancient Greek biographer Plutarch, Olympias, on the eve of the consummation of her marriage to Philip, dreamed that her womb was struck by a thunder bolt, causing a flame that spread "far and wide" before dying away. Some time after the wedding, Philip was said to have seen himself, in a dream, sealing up his wife's womb with a seal upon which was engraved the image of a lion. Plutarch offers a variety of interpretations of these dreams: that Olympia was pregnant before her marriage, indicated by the sealing of her womb; or that Alexander's father was Zeus. Ancient commentators were divided as to whether the ambitious Olympias promulgated the story of Alexander's divine parentage, some claiming she told Alexander, others that she dismissed the suggestion as impious.
The Zeus parentage theory would have made Alexander even more full of himself than having Apollo as a father, as Zeus was the king of all Greek gods, god of thunder and lightning, and the father of numerous other gods, including Apollo.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alexander the great


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something to think about - Top 5 Game Josefine Royal Chit Chat 92 12-21-2007 03:45 AM
Great Time For Royal Watchers - the coming events (visits, celebrations etc) & TV Josefine Royalty Past, Present, and Future 218 10-06-2005 05:26 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month pieter van vollenhoven pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit visit wedding william



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]