Swedish State Visit to Germany: October 5-8, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eya

Imperial Majesty
City
-
Country
Greece
State Visit to Germany - Sveriges Kungahus

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia will pay a State Visit to Germany on 5–8 October 2016 at the invitation of Federal President Joachim Gauck.

1x1.gif

I bet it feels pretty special for Silvia, other than 10 years in Brazil, she spent a lot of her childhood in Germany. Her and CG met in Munich.:flowers: Must feel odd, maybe not now so many years later, but certainly earlier on, going home as a queen and not simply Miss Sommerlath. :)

Year of going to her home countries, as they are going to Rio as well.

I bet it feels pretty special for Silvia, other than 10 years in Brazil, she spent a lot of her childhood in Germany. Her and CG met in Munich.:flowers: Must feel odd, maybe not now so many years later, but certainly earlier on, going home as a queen and not simply Miss Sommerlath. :)

Hasn't she been to Germany before on an official visit as queen consort ? I would assume she must have, but I don't know.

The King and Queen have recently been in Germany, at the CHIO in Aachen. It is interesting to see that since the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, there has not been a State Visit from Sweden to the vastly enlarged Federal Republic of Germany. The last State Visit was in 1979 on invitation of Bundespräsident Walter Scheel (who died a few weeks ago).

Here Queen Silvia at the State Banquet, next to Franz-Josef Strauss, the Prime Minister of Bavaria: picture.

The King and Queen have recently been in Germany, at the CHIO in Aachen. It is interesting to see that since the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, there has not been a State Visit from Sweden to the vastly enlarged Federal Republic of Germany. The last State Visit was in 1979 on invitation of Bundespräsident Walter Scheel (who died a few weeks ago).

Here Queen Silvia at the State Banquet, next to Franz-Josef Strauss, the Prime Minister of Bavaria: picture.

Nice, the state banquet was white tie back then ! I suppose that is not the case anymore, is it ?

No, it's no longer white tie. But the last few Queens who attended State Banquets in Germany did wear tiaras. So there will be at least some glitter at the banquet.

Nice, the state banquet was white tie back then ! I suppose that is not the case anymore, is it ?

State Banquets in Germany where white tie until the 1990's. I can remember that when King Albert II. and Queen Paola made a State Visit to Germany in the late 1990's it was still white tie.

Last edited:
Silvia is very popular among the older generation who are mostly interested in royalty, she's 'our' or 'the german' queen.
In Germany we have 10-15 weekly tabloid mags that print everything imaginable about royalty and the SRF is clearly No1 in coverage, especially on Victoria and Madeleine.

State Banquetts are usually black tie, not white tie anymore.

When I was small in 1979 for the roy. couple´s 1st state visit the Queen brought no less than 3 tiaras for the visit, almost every night white tie, orders and jewels. This time will be very low key in comparision to that I fear...
In 1979, only 3 years after the wedding, the state visit was THE talk of the town in Germany and extensive life covered on television. I remember us kids even having to do an essay about it as a homework....!

Last edited:

Yes, but there was an official visit back in 1993 when the couple visited the eastern federal provinces, once GDR territory.
Your picture shows the night in Munich when CG and Silvia attended an opera performance at the old royal theatre, once a firm part of any royal visit to Bavaria´s capital.

Last edited:
Has the Programm now been published? Can't find it on the Royal Court's Website

No it hasn't been published yet, neither on the Royal Court nor Governments websites. Wonder when they will do...

However the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the Royal Court and Business Sweden had a press briefing for media this Wednesday about the program.

No it hasn't been published yet, neither on the Royal Court nor Governments websites. Wonder when they will do...

However the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the Royal Court and Business Sweden had a press briefing for media this Wednesday about the program.

Strange. Why do they hold a Press meting about if the don't publish it? Would be intersting to know when the King and Queen are in Hamburg and waht they will do there.

Strange. Why do they hold a Press meting about if the don't publish it? Would be intersting to know when the King and Queen are in Hamburg and waht they will do there.

I totally agree! I actually thought they would publish the program after the press meeting.

The program of the visit at the website of the Embassy of Sweden in Germany, only in german so far. I haven't got time to write it here now.
Das Besuchsprogramm _ SwedenAbroad
Translation

Thank you so much for providing the first hint of the program, luckily my German skills from school could help me to get the most out of it.

What a stunning setting Schloss Charlottenburg will be for the return dinner. It is also a surprise with a visit to the Berlin Philharmonics. Time will tell if the Royal Couple will visit a Nobel Prize laureate on Saturday. Dr Svante Pääbo is one of the favourites for the Nobel Prize in Physiology or medicine that will be announced on Monday October 3rd.

Schloss Charlottenburg looks stunning from the outside bit is relatively empty from the inside. The whole palace was bombed in 1945 and it took decades to build it all up. Like the Reichstag: the exterior is more or less like it was, the interior almost completely gone and only a few rooms are more or less reconstructed. From the once amazing baroque interiors almost nothing is left. When I visited the Schloss two years ago, the park was the best part of the whole site. Also the once impressive alleys leading to the Schloss were destroyed. The mansions at the alley are almost all replaced by concrete appartmentblocks in 1950's style.

Last edited:
The Government has released the program in Swedish:
Statsbesök i Tyskland 5–8 oktober 2016 - Regeringen.se

Wednesday 5 October
The Royal Couple arrives at Berlin-Tegel Airport in the morning, where a welcome ceremony will take place.

The Royal Couple is officially welcomed by Bundespresident Gauck and Mrs Schadt at Schloss Bellevue in Berlin. An official welcome ceremony with national anthems and inspection of the Gaurds of Honors will take place. This is followed by talks where also the Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs Mrs Margot Wallström participates.

In the afternoon is the Royal Couple received at the Brandenburger Tor by the Major of Berlin, Mr Michael Müller. This is followed by a visit to the Memorial Place Neue Wache and a wreath laying ceremony.

The Royal Couple is visiting Humboldt Forum, a project that aims to recreate Berlin City Palace, that to great extant was destroyed during the Second World War, to a future centre for world cultures.

After the visit to the Bundestag the Royal Couple and the Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs Mrs Margot Wallström meet Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel for talks.

In the evening are Bundespresident Gauck and Mrs Schadt hots for a state banquet.

Thursday 6 October
The Royal Couple arrives in Hamburg in the morning for the second day of the state visit, and are received by Hamburg's State Secretary responsible for Foreign Affairs, Wolfgang Schmidt.

The King and Queen are received by First Major of Hamburg, Olaf Scholz, at the City Hall for talks.

The Royal Couple attends a seminar on sustainable transportation at the Hamburg Chamber for Commerce. The Swedish Minister for Innovation and Enterprise, Mr Mikael Damberg attends as well, and will deliver a speech.

After a luncheon in the City Hall the Royal Couple visits the city planning project Hafen City and Elphilharmoni, whre a press meeting will take place.

The day concludes in Berlin. The King and Queen are hosts for a return banquet at Schloss Charlottenburg.

Friday 7 October
The program takes place in Berlin during the day and starts with a meeting with the Swedish Business delegation. The Swedish Minister for Innovation and Enterprise, Mr Mikael Damberg attends as well.

The Royal Couple attends a seminar on the theme "Contemporary Circus and methods for equality - function differences and social perspectives" at Chamäleon Theater. The seminar is arranged by the Swedish Embassy, Swedish Cirkus Cirkör and German Cirkus Sonnenstich. The Swedish Minister for Children, the Elderly and Equality, Mrs Åsa Regnér, attends as well.

Afterwards the King attends a seminar on digitalization. The Swedish Minister for Innovation and Enterprise, Mr Mikael Damberg attends as well, and talks about the Swedish path towards a digital economy.

At the same time does the Queen inaugurate the exhibition "Everything you can imagine is real" by Bea Szenfeld and Pompe Hedengren at Bikini Berlin. Additionally she speaks at a seminar on sustainable fashion that takes place close to the exhibition. The Swedish Minister for Children, the Elderly and Equality, Mrs Åsa Regnér, attends as well.

The Royal Couple will visit the University Hospital Charité, one of the largest University Hospitals in Europe. They will be demonstrated how Germany works with digitalization in health care.

In the afternoon the Royal Couple visit the integration project "Give Something Back to Berlin". Initiator to the project is Annamaria Olsson, that has received several awards for her work to strengthen Berlin as a tolerant and welcoming city. The Refugio House is a "sharehouse" that offers different for and with refugees. The Swedish Minister for Children, the Elderly and Equality, Mrs Åsa Regnér, attends as well.

After this a press metting will take place at the Swedish Embassy in Berlin.

Later the Royal Couple take farewell of Bundespresident Gauck and Mrs Schadt, and concludes the day with a concert at the Berliner Philharmoniker.

Saturday 8 October
The events during the day takes place in Wittenberg and Leipzig.

The day starts with a visit to Wittenberg in the morning. The Royal Couple will visit the Palace Church and the City Church St. Marien. The Swedish Minister for Children, the Elderly and Equality, Mrs Åsa Regnér, takes part in the visit.

The King will visit the Max Planck Institute and is received by Professor Svante Pääbo. The King will be introduced to the Institute and its research on evolutionary anthropology.

At the same time the Queen attends a seminar at the University of Leipzig organized by World Childhood Foundation.

Late the King and Queen attend a organ concert in the Nicolai Church in Leipzig. Afterwards a press meeting will take place.

The state visit is concluded in the late afternoon when the King and Queen leave Leipzig.

Maybe we can hope for 2 tiara events then ?

Back
Top Bottom