Swedish State Visit to France: December 2-4, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if the cameo necklace has been to the Élysée before considering the palace was the residence of Empress Josephine's mother-in-law Madame Mere... If walls (and jewellery) could talk

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Sorry, I didn't want to criticize you, I do share your frustration about the lack of style:flowers:. It's strange, but Liz was invited to a black tie State Banquet this summer, so she could get away with a tiara. Why they downgrade the dress code is beyond me.

Liz was indeed invited to a black tie. Black ties are 99% not tiara events. Hence why it was odd for Liz to be in the full get-up.

Ugh! I really had my hopes up for a Silvia-blingfest! Quel dommage ... next thing you know someone will be showing up at the Elysee Palace in flip flops :(

Well, though I also do miss a more formal, lavish style we shouldn´t forget these kind of events do not exist to please us or to feed our appetite for glitz and glamour! They do exist purely for diplomatic reasons, to strengthen cultural and economic ties.
And what exactly would be worn at these events depends on what kind of official visit this is (as far as I know there are different levels of an official visit whose highest level is a state visit. And the term "state visit" is used by the media every time politicians or Royals are abroad, even if it isn´t a "state visit" at all!).
I think the dining room is exquisitely prepared and decorated, fit for a King and Queen! CG and Silvia don´t seem to mind Mr. Hollande - they actually seem to get along very well.
I also do miss jewels and orders! But we shouldn´t pretend (and exaggerate) they´re having dinner at a diner...! And, suztav, everyone´s very, very far away from wearing flip-flops!

Last edited:
The Queen wears a brooch in her hair, I think it's the lozenge shape diamond brooch. She's trying to keep some glamour and style to the event. Also she wears the necklace from the cameo parure, which originates from France. A nice nod to the host:flowers:.

I believe the brooch is the Cameo Brooch.

Well, though I also do miss a more formal, lavish style we shouldn´t forget these kind of events do not exist to please us or to feed our appetite for glitz and glamour! They do exist purely for diplomatic reasons, to strengthen cultural and economic ties.
And what exactly would be worn at these events depends on what kind of official visit this is (as far as I know there are different levels of an official visit whose highest level is a state visit. And the term "state visit" is used by the media every time politicians or Royals are abroad, even if it isn´t a "state visit" at all!).
I think the dining room is exquisitely prepared and decorated, fit for a King and Queen! CG and Silvia don´t seem to mind Mr. Hollande - they actually seem to get along very well.
I also do miss jewels and orders! But we shouldn´t pretend (and exaggerate) they´re having dinner at a diner...! And, suztav, everyone´s very, very far away from wearing flip-flops!

Let's hope so!

A lounge suit is something you are forced to wear at a State Banquet in France due to lack of imagination by the incumbent president!

Actually, here is link giving all the information you might need: -

Lounge Suits, Dress Codes, A to H, British Behaviour, British Etiquette | Debrett's

For your record the "business suit state dinner" is an invention from the previous French President Nicolas Sarkozy to downgrade the Elysee palace protocol due to the economical situation.

You're welcome.

The last white tie dinner was held precisely for Carl Gustav and Sylvia in Versailles back in 1980. Banquets were black tie between 1981 and 2010 and business suit since then. The only exception to this new dress code was the state visit of QEII last june.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, that's quite enough on the state dinner dress code. Business suit state dinners are not unheard of, and have been around in France since during the term of President Sarkozy (visit of the South African President). Therefore, insinuating that it is all Hollande's fault is false.

Let's also remember that respect is a fundamental rule of the forum, and political discussion is off-topic in almost every case.

Further inflammatory posts will be removed.

The Queen will not take part in some of today's activites due to a stomach ailment
Drottningen ställer in delar av dagens program - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

''
The Queen misses parts of today's program.
The Queen will not participate in parts of the state visits program in France on Wednesday because of occasional stomach ailment."

I wonder if t was the food she ate which might've provided some allergic reaction

Last edited:
You The Queen will not take part in some of today's activites due to a stomach ailment
Drottningen ställer in delar av dagens program - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

''
The Queen will not participate in parts of the state visits program in France on Wednesday because of occasional stomach ailment."

At the queen's program was today at least a lunch with prime minister Manuel Walls. The king and queen should also visit a culture centre and at a photo exhibition. The queen should also deliver a scienze prize for research of childhood cancer and attend a seminar after that. And of course the return dinner.

Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department, who is also in France, said to Expressen, that it is not known when the queen returns to the visit program.
Drottningen ställer in statsbesöket i Paris Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Margareta Thorgren said to Aftonbladet, that she hopes that the queen can attend at the dinner this evening, but she can't be sure about that.
Drottning Silvia sjuk Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
You The Queen will not take part in some of today's activites due to a stomach ailment

''

I wonder if t was the food she ate which might've provided some allergic reaction

First the French rob SIlvia of an opportunity to wear a tiara, they next give her an upset stomach. Quelle horror!

With all these talks about protocol during the state visit what really surprises me after seeing the photos above is why the King and the President walks ahead of the Queen. The way I was brought up it's common courtesy to never walk in front of a lady. She might be Queen or a laundry maid, in white tie or naked it's not something I'd expect to see.

With all these talks about protocol during the state visit what really surprises me after seeing the photos above is why the King and the President walks ahead of the Queen. The way I was brought up it's common courtesy to never walk in front of a lady. She might be Queen or a laundry maid, in white tie or naked it's not something I'd expect to see.

The king always walks ahead of the queen consort, doesn't he ?

LadyFinn,

Since you mentioned "baroness" von Blixen-Fenecke, what is the current legal status of the hereditary nobility in Sweden ? I was under the impression that the Swedish nobility ceased to be legally recognized by the State in 2003, but I guess that is not exactly correct. Could you please clarify ?

There's a thread on this in the Swedish Forum ,I'll move your post there and keep this thread focused on the State Visit to France.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/no-more-nobility-10363.html

First the French rob SIlvia of an opportunity to wear a tiara, they next give her an upset stomach. Quelle horror!

How do you know she was fond of wearing a tiara?! Perhaps she was relieved not to be obliged to do so!
I think a Queen used to wear expensive jewels and women who´ll never wear precious pieces in all their lifetime, the longing of wearing a tiara might be perceived very differently...:whistling:

Well, the way you and I might have been brought up is, as you stated correctly, common courtesy, but not the royal one!
Different rules for heads of state! Queen- or Prince consorts always walk a few steps behind. In the old days this rule was even stricter than today; A Queen (consort) or a Crown Princess (outranked by her husband, the future monarch) walking down the stairs of a plane and shaking hands of officials before her husband did so, would have been quite unheard of, a harsh disregard of protocol!
Nowadays these rules don´t seem to be that strict on every occasion anymore. But I remember a documentary about late King Baudouin of Belgium when his wife, Qu. Fabiola, refused very firmly to reach a journalist (who just wanted to be polite) a hand before her husband did!

Last edited:
The king visited Cultural House 104 Centquatre.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B38CHypIEAEnbCZ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B38DEaxCIAAqGm1.jpg
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/R...518_PM1EAC31C1401_RTRMADP_3_FRANCE-SWEDEN.JPG
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/add0ca797800302f670f6a7067002b99.jpg

The king at the photo exhibition of Jean Francois Spricigo during a visit at the Cultural House 104 Centquatre.
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/046c9dd577fb302f670f6a7067009ba9.jpg

The king visited train station Gare de Lyon. There is a photo exhibition of Umeå2014 European Capital of Culture at the train station.

The king visited the restaurant Le Train Bleu, where the swedish star chef Tommy Myllymäki works during the state visit. The king speaking with Myllymäki.
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/R...376_PM1EAC31FTH01_RTRMADP_3_FRANCE-SWEDEN.JPG
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/R...272_PM1EAC31FTM01_RTRMADP_3_FRANCE-SWEDEN.JPG
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B38i-_TCYAAMcHN.jpg
The king held also a press conference there.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B38eud_CAAAgTfG.jpg

The king told to the press that the queen is not well enough to attend at the dinner.

Last edited:
She probably found last night as hard to stomach, as many of us [expecting a state banquet worthy of the name] did.
I hope Her Majesty recovers soon.

Back
Top Bottom