Swedish State Visit to Canada: October 24-28, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No informations and pictures of the second Gala at Massey College(University of Toronto) on 25th October 2006 in Toronto?

Last edited:
Lovely! great to have the swedish royal couple here in Canada. Caught a glimpse of them at the Hockey hall of fame in Toronto.

Thanks for the pictures everyone! It's upsetting that this visit has generated very little interest in the Canadian Media. But as been stated before, unless the visitor is Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip or any senior member of the British Royal Family there is very little coverage.

yes i agree with that, there is not nearly enough coverage for this visit!

auntie said:
What Tiara did Queen Sylvia wear to the banquet?

It´s the "King Carl XVI fringe tiara", the one that Madeleine wears the most. Unfortunatly Her Majesty usually wears either a small tiara or no tiara at all at a state visit to a republic, not the Nordic ones though, wich I find very sad :bang:

rop81 said:
It´s the "King Carl XVI fringe tiara", the one that Madeleine wears the most. Unfortunatly Her Majesty usually wears either a small tiara or no tiara at all at a state visit to a republic, not the Nordic ones though, wich I find very sad :bang:

Just a small correction, Canada is not a republic. We're still a constitutional monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as Queen of Canada.

I thought Queen Silvia's tiara suited the occassion perfectly!

Let's face it: That silver-grey gown worn by Queen Silvia for the first gala in Canada (And first worn in Thailand indeed) is not one of her best... I like the silhouette, being shorter at the front and descending into a train at the back, but the color, lapels, embroidery and silly bow just make her look dull & dowdy...
She is an expert on how to wear a tiara with elaborate upswept hairdos, so I am surprised that she just wore her hair down on this occasion.
I am aware that this is superficial subject, but this is a little let-down compared to Queen Silvia's most glamorous appearance at the Washington gala where she went to great lengths to make a drop-dead gorgeous 'Royal' appearance... successfully.

FINALLY :) : one mention of the Royal visit on Montreal's French television (Radio-Canada). It was tonight at the 6h00 news and they showed their meeting with the Lieutnant Gouverneur of the province of Quebec in Quebec City.

On tv, they called the King: King Carl XVI Gustaf instead of King King Gustaf XVI. Were they wrong? Why would they put the number between the 2 names?

Last edited by a moderator:
The correct name is King Carl XVI Gustaf. He is the 16th King Carl.

King Carl XVI Gustaf (C) and Queen Silvia (L) of Sweden speak with the Lieutenant Governor of Quebec Lise Thibault (R) during their visit to Canada in Quebec City, October 27, 2006. REUTERS/Mathieu Belanger (CANADA)

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and Captain Serge Brule walk on board the Canadian Coast Guard Ship (CCGS) Pierre Radison to attend a conference about the Arctic during his visit to Canada in Quebec City, October 27, 2006.
From Reuters

Last edited:
grevinnan said:
The correct name is King Carl XVI Gustaf. He is the 16th King Carl.

Thank you. I was applying the same logic as the one with the popes: we've had at least 23 popes John, 6 popes Paul but 2 John Paul (and the 1st one for a very brief 30 days).

So the King's real name is Carl?

rosalyn said:
Sirmax
Did you take any pictures at the Ritz Hotel?? thanks

Yes I have did take pictures at the Ritz Carlton Hotel

Last edited:
There was a litlle bit of news- more than most of the other non- Canadian royals but perhaps because, as the King and the Governor- General pointed out in their different speeches, that he has a connection to Canada- his great grandfather the Duke of Connaught being the Governor General 1911-1916 and, of course, his apparent interest in the NHL.

The two pictures of press-meeting by conference "Violence against women" are made at Ritz Carlton Hotel, Montreal (page 3 on this thread)!

sirmax said:
Yes I have did take pictures at the Ritz Carlton Hotel

The Kings "real" name is Carl Gustaf.

Sigh... The media coverage of this state `visit certainly leaves much to be desired. If it wasn't for the efforts of Mavyy and LaDuchesse, I wouldn't even have seen photographs from the main gala - thanks a lot, the two of you!
But are there are NO pics at all from the return dinner?
Just in order to include some more glitter, here's a link to a pic of Queen Silvia in all her glory during the 1st state visit to Canada in 1988.
It's from Josefine's Swedish jewelry blog which is worth visiting:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4251/2867/1600/3.6.jpg

SWEDISH ROYALS JOIN HALLOWEEN FUN IN TORONTO

Judging a Halloween pumpkin competition may not be the most obvious duty for visiting royals to take on, but Queen Silvia of Sweden was clearly happy to get into the spirit of things during her recent official trip to Canada. Hello

Pictures:

Queen Silvia had her work cut out for her when she stepped in to judge a student pumpkin-carving competition. Photo

No trip to Toronto would be complete without a visit to nearby Niagara Falls. Here the German-born queen takes in its spectacular views. Photo

Queen Silvia and King Carl are welcomed by Canada's Governor General Michaelle Jean and her husband, Jean-Daniel to Rideau Hall for a black tie dinner. Photo

The royal hockey fans enjoy checking out Canadian hockey memorabilia. Photo

Young royalwatchers line the streets to greet the couple in Ottawa. Photo

The Scandinavian queen pauses to shake hands with a little girl bearing a Swedish flag during a walkabout in Toronto. Photo

While in the Canadian city the monarch - who is a passionate advocate of both children's rights and literacy - took part in a roundtable event at the International Festival of Authors. Photo

Thanks to Ritva's efforts on her wonderful site about the Swedish Royal family, there's finally a nice close-up of Queen Silvia from the gala. I am trying to post the link from Ritva's Weekly Magazines page and hope it works:

http://www.ritva.com/_private/tid5654a.jpg

This is from Svensk Dam Tidning, page 1.
It's very rare for Queen Silvia to wear a tiara with her hair down, and I like her more elaborate upswept hairdos much better, but I think in this case the overall look works.
Unfortunately it is as if the return dinner had never happened, in terms of media coverage...

^^I love how she borrowed Madeleine's tiara! That had to be a funny moment......."Hey Madde?" "Yes, mom?" "Can I borrow your tiara for a State Trip?" "Uh.....sure mom. BTW....don't you have your own?"

It might be a stupid question, but isn't the tiara which we assume the queen "borowed" from Madeleine infact the queen's own? didn't she get as a 10 year wedding-anniversary gift from the king?

It's not a stupid question at all since you are completely right. The tiara in question was a a 10th wedding anniversary gift to Queen Silvia indeed, so technically Princess Madeleine borrows it these days from her mother - not the other way around.
I think the best way to put it is that they share the tiara these days.
I should think that it's still the Queen's personal property, unless they already did a little something here in advance in order to avoid inheritance tax later on.

Does anyone know whether there were no photographers accompanying the royal couple on their state visit to the US and to Canada?
It seems that there are always photographers around Crown Princess Victoria on her trips abroad, but no longer with the king and the
queen. I would imagine that also the Swedish people are interested in pictures, especially of the gala events, however, only one photo
of the Ottawa reception was published by Royalcourt. What about the other occassions? Return gala and so on?

I agree with Susanne!

Why do not photographers with the royal couples visit in Canada?

SusanneSNS said:
Does anyone know whether there were no photographers accompanying the royal couple on their state visit to the US and to Canada?
It seems that there are always photographers around Crown Princess Victoria on her trips abroad, but no longer with the king and the
queen. I would imagine that also the Swedish people are interested in pictures, especially of the gala events, however, only one photo
of the Ottawa reception was published by Royalcourt. What about the other occassions? Return gala and so on?

On 26th October the king and queen meet SWEA-organisation at MaRS Center in Toronto by Gala-celebration. Here a link to website with picture of the queen and women of SWEA:

http://www.sweatoronto.org/kungaparet.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom