King Carl XVI Gustaf's Enthronement: September 15, 1973

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emil

Gentry
City
Stockholm
Country
Sweden
On the 15th September 1973, HM King Gustav VI Adolf died (1882-1973), having acceded in 1950 on the death of his own father, HM King Gustav V (1858-1950). Prince Gustav Adolf, had been killed in 1947, and his son Prince Carl Gustaf had, in 1973, been crown prince for 23 years. The King of Sweden had maintained a court quite full of protocol and tradition. The enthronement ceremony, yet very solemn but more discreet than in the years of King Gustav VI Adolf’s reign, took place on the 19th September, in the Hall of State of the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

In another room of the Royal Palace, the King presided over the Cabinet meeting, and after having announced what his title and name would be, he swore the King's oath from 1809 called "Konungaförsäkran" and then he signed the enthronement documents.

Text from http://www.angelfire.com/co/royalty/ and corrected by me.

Some Pictures;

Attachments

• 190973_1.jpg
    190973_1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 12,830
1) The King with his sisters wearing the traditional mourning dresses of the Swedish Court. From left: (HRH Princess Christina, HRH Princess Birgitta, Princess Desirée Baroness Silfverschiöld and Princess Margaretha Mrs. Ambler. He was warmly cheered by a several-thousand strong crowd, despite some unpopularity of himself as a Crown Prince.

2) The King and his sisters.

3) The King standing in front of the magnificent silver throne, which had the royal robes over it, to the right the crown and to the left the sceptre in cushions, the King spoke to the nation in a moving speech. He said:

“I’ll put my efforts in being able to respond to the burden of exigencies that fall over a monarch, nowadays. My grandfather, admired and beloved, had become a symbol of the modern monarchy. I am firmly decided to follow his example.”

Having the Prince, Bertil, by his side, he confidently showed his wish to pursue his grandfather’s work. The solemn ceremony gave an imposing touch by all the uniforms of the King’s personal bodyguards, who stood beside the canopy.

Attachments

• 190973_3.jpg
    190973_3.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 5,638
  • 190973_4.jpg
    190973_4.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,887
  • 190973_2.jpg
    190973_2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 4,845
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Emil great pictures....

He did not have a crown on his head, bur by his side, what does this crown look like. Is there a crown for a queen?

The old Queen crown.

Attachments

• krona.jpg
    krona.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,996
September 22, it will be 30 yeras ago Carl Gustaf took on the role as King

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 8,485
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 4,539
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 5,726
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 5,453
Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Josefine@Aug 22nd, 2003 - 11:37 am
It is September 15

Originally posted by Emil+Aug 22nd, 2003 - 4:52 pm--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Emil @ Aug 22nd, 2003 - 4:52 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Josefine@Aug 22nd, 2003 - 11:37 am
It is September 15 [/b][/quote]
thanks Emil :flower:

i was a little fast to trust IBL.se :p

or did his Enthronement take place 22ndbut he took over the title King from his grandpa the day he died

what date did his granpa die?

The late Gustaf VI Adolf died on September 15, 1973. The cermony for the new King was on September 19 at the Royal Palace.

you have add picture crowned of Slivia when she become Queen? what year i need know ?

Sara Boyce

p.s. thanks for picture of him at Enthronement

Originally posted by Emil@Jan 4th, 2003 - 1:57 pm
He was warmly cheered by a several-thousand strong crowd, despite some unpopularity of himself as a Crown Prince.
Why was he unpopular as crown prince. What happened or what did he say that didn't set right?

Hmm...a little hasty with the coronation...four days after his grandpa died? Wouldn't they have waited a few weeks..a month? Wow...

moosey60 
Posted: Sep 29th, 2003 - 7:34 pm

Hmm...a little hasty with the coronation...four days after his grandpa died? Wouldn't they have waited a few weeks..a month? Wow...

And let an invader in? :ninja:

thissal 
Posted: Sep 29th, 2003 - 5:43 pm

(Emil @ Jan 4th, 2003 - 1:57 pm)
... despite some unpopularity of himself as a Crown Prince.

Why was he unpopular as crown prince. What happened or what did he say that didn't set right?
I have heard about his unpopularity too ..... what was it all about?

Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 29th, 2003 - 4:51 pm
I have heard about his unpopularity too ..... what was it all about?
What I heard was from a Swedish citizen who said he objected to some comment by the King that poor people need to learn to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. He found it offensive since King Carl Gustaf has never worked a day in his life. He also related it in some way to the King's love of hunting -- birds? I don't remember the relevant details now.

At the same time, he also admitted that his opinion was in a minority and most of the Swedish people were solidly behind the royal family.
------------------------------------------------------

In the 21st century of disposable people, places and things, I want/need to see the royal families continued. The rules of existence are different now than before and I don't think a lot of royals realize that.

Diana, Princess of Wales, knew what was required. Of the crown princes, I see the most potential in CP Haakon, who as I understand it, told his people that they could accept his wife, or he would no longer be their prince. That is so admirable in putting family values first and foremost -- something that will be required of all royal families if they are to survive. (If Prince Charles ever gets to become king, I'll give him 6 months before the people revolt).

The other thing that is so important is real focus on some charity actually needed by the common people. Sorry to say, this doesn't include opening some museum with million dollar collections of art or china, and it doesn't include support of some hoity-toity fantasies of promoting some architectural style.

I just wanted to make a point about the "hasty coronation". This is quite common I think. If you saw the Spanish Enthronement of Juan Carolos y Sophia, you would have notice that the entronement was held on the same day as Franco's funeral. After the entronement, Sophia put on a black coat and attended Franco's lying in State.

a few more photos

does anyone know what evenst there was when he became king where they any royal guests from other countrys there

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,459
  • ö.jpg
    ö.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 14,177
  • öö.jpg
    öö.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,587
Peer

Lord Williams said:
I just wanted to make a point about the "hasty coronation". This is quite common I think. If you saw the Spanish Enthronement of Juan Carolos y Sophia, you would have notice that the entronement was held on the same day as Franco's funeral. After the entronement, Sophia put on a black coat and attended Franco's lying in State.
I know i am coming rather late to this thread, but, this ceremony is not a coronation, but an oath-taking. In the UK, the Sovereign does a similar ceremony before the Privy Council, with no TV coverage. The actual solemn coronation follows later. But as Sweden no longer has a coronation, the oath-taking ( announcement of title, name, motto) etc. takes place at the beginning of the reign and there is no further ceremony.

two more of the event

what guests was there

Attachments

• 4756282_1.jpg
    4756282_1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,771
  • 7541304_1.jpg
    7541304_1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 5,856
  • 10665327_1.jpg
    10665327_1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 628
a big photo of the evenst

Attachments

• skanna0023.jpg
    skanna0023.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2,693
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 4,343
Last edited:
Josefine said:
i am still amaced by this that victoria is the same age that her ftaher was when he became king

Actually she´s already older...such a jump over one generation can make a big difference. It can easily be, that poor Carl Gustaf has to sit 60 years on the throne ("poor" in the sense of working so long...I hope he´s getting old, but I wish he could retire like his colleagues in the Netherlands). His daughter would be then around 55 years. An age, which many women choose to retire. Victoria talks much about her being a queen, but I guess she (and many of her colleagues) will do most work as crown prince(sse)s. And when we are honest, most ppl in Europe´s Monarchies don´t follow the life and duties of the Monarch mostly, but the liVes and duties of the crown princely couple (but psst, don´t tell CG ;) )

What an interesting thread. I should like to see more photos of Crownings. I'm only acquainted to the ones of Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain and the late Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, that was so interesting and long.

Vanesa.

I wonder did any other royals and other world leaders form around the world come and see then Crown Prince Carl of Sweden become King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden ? Thanks for the wonderful story and photos.

I wonder did any other royals and other world leaders form around the world come and see then Crown Prince Carl of Sweden become King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden ? Thanks for the wonderful story and photos.

Strangely enough Enthronements in Europe are a pretty national affair. That is logical, of course, because it is about a new head of state and this is a business between the elected representatives of the nation and the new monarch.

Exception is the lavish Coronation ceremony in Britain which attracts lots of royals from outside the United Kingdom.

In Belgium there were no foreign royals when King Albert II was sworn in. In Luxembourg there was attention from Queen Beatrix (from the related House of Orange-Nassau, formerly ruling in Luxembourg) and from King Albert II (sister of the Grand Duchess and uncle to the new Grand Duke).

In the Netherlands there is a large royal crowd, but all of them are colleagues from the new Sovereign: Heirs and Heiresses or (when too young) other representatives. For an example in 1980 in Amsterdam were The Prince of Wales, The Crown Prince of Norway, The Prince of Liège, the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg and more. But no heads of state.

The most sober is, without doubt, Denmark: just an announcement by the Statsminister. And that was it.

The most sober is, without doubt, Denmark: just an announcement by the Statsminister. And that was it.

That would have to be the only thing about Denmark I do not like so much. If ever there was a monarchy to pull off a coronation after the British, then surely it would be the Danes :ohmy:

Strangely enough Enthronements in Europe are a pretty national affair. That is logical, of course, because it is about a new head of state and this is a business between the elected representatives of the nation and the new monarch.

Exception is the lavish Coronation ceremony in Britain which attracts lots of royals from outside the United Kingdom.

In Belgium there were no foreign royals when King Albert II was sworn in. In Luxembourg there was attention from Queen Beatrix (from the related House of Orange-Nassau, formerly ruling in Luxembourg) and from King Albert II (sister of the Grand Duchess and uncle to the new Grand Duke).

In the Netherlands there is a large royal crowd, but all of them are colleagues from the new Sovereign: Heirs and Heiresses or (when too young) other representatives. For an example in 1980 in Amsterdam were The Prince of Wales, The Crown Prince of Norway, The Prince of Liège, the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg and more. But no heads of state.

I think it has to do with the fact that the swearing-in is mostly 2 or 2 days after the death of the former monarch. Only in Belgium it was later only 2 days after the funeral of King Baudouin. In the UK the proclamation of the monarch is also not attended by other Family-Members.

I wonder how would they do it in the Netherlands if Queen beatrix dies suddenly in lets say 2 years and is still reigning. Would Willem-Alexander by first sworn in Parliament and they would later have the Ceremony in Amsterdam ??

I w

Back
Top Bottom