King Carl XVI Gustaf's Enthronement: September 15, 1973

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting indeed! There has not been a death of a reigning Monarch in the Netherlands since the death of King William III in the 1890's.
As for Sweden, when the time comes, with that pseudo-republican Constitution in force I wonder if the future Queen Victoria will have the same colorful ceremony as her father on 1973?

Strangely enough Enthronements in Europe are a pretty national affair. That is logical, of course, because it is about a new head of state and this is a business between the elected representatives of the nation and the new monarch.

Exception is the lavish Coronation ceremony in Britain which attracts lots of royals from outside the United Kingdom.

In Belgium there were no foreign royals when King Albert II was sworn in. In Luxembourg there was attention from Queen Beatrix (from the related House of Orange-Nassau, formerly ruling in Luxembourg) and from King Albert II (sister of the Grand Duchess and uncle to the new Grand Duke).

In the Netherlands there is a large royal crowd, but all of them are colleagues from the new Sovereign: Heirs and Heiresses or (when too young) other representatives. For an example in 1980 in Amsterdam were The Prince of Wales, The Crown Prince of Norway, The Prince of Liège, the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg and more. But no heads of state.

The most sober is, without doubt, Denmark: just an announcement by the Statsminister. And that was it.

It should be understood though that enthronements (or swearing-in ceremonies) are quite different and distinct from a coronation. A coronation is a ceremony during which a monarch is invested with regal power through, inter alia, the placement of a crown upon his or her head.
All swearing-in ceremonies take place shortly after (within a few days) a monarch's death and, therefore, are somber events. In contrast, a coronation takes usually place at least a few months later. In QEII's case, her father's death occurred on February 6, 1952, while her coronation took place on June 2, 1953! The delay is explained by the fact that, in Britain, the law provides that the throne never becomes vacant and a new monarch succeeds the old immediately (and automatically). Indeed, the princess Elizabeth became The Queen, while touring Africa with the Duke of Edinburgh, the very moment her father died.

Coronations, in contrast to, and distinction from, swearing-in ceremonies are a major international event with many heads of state attending and a joyous occasion for the public. Coronation is not practised anymore in Europe except in Great Britain.

Last edited:
I also wonder if Victoria will have the ceremony in the hall of state. I really hope so if she not will be crowned because a new monarch not sitting on the throne is not a real new monarch (at least in my eyes).

As an alternative ceremony it would be a great idea to introduce a church blessing ceremony like the "signingen" in norway.

But I guess there is still a simple ceremony in the hall of state avaliable as Victoria held her majority speech there 12 years ago.

I also wonder if Victoria will have the ceremony in the hall of state. I really hope so if she not will be crowned because a new monarch not sitting on the throne is not a real new monarch (at least in my eyes).

As an alternative ceremony it would be a great idea to introduce a church blessing ceremony like the "signingen" in norway.

But I guess there is still a simple ceremony in the hall of state avaliable as Victoria held her majority speech there 12 years ago.

I would have thought that she ought to be enthroned ceremonially, like her father. It is a constitutional requirement, isn't it?

The pictures look a bit like a real coronation rather than an enthronement/oath-taking ceromony. Why have many countries got rid of the tradtional coronations? Are royal houses more Consicous of critisism? Trying to get rid of the old and outdated look?

2012 both celebration; king 40 years on the swedish throne and daniel turning 40 on the same day

^Josefine,you mean 2013.He became king in 1973.

Anyway,did Silvia go to the event?She was dating him for a year.

a later respond, yes you are right 2013

at what date did the cermony take place
didhe bacome king 15 september or after the cermony i think he took a oath infront of Olof Palme september 15th

a later respond, yes you are right 2013

at what date did the cermony take place
didhe bacome king 15 september or after the cermony i think he took a oath infront of Olof Palme september 15th

He became King 15 September immediately when his grandfather died. The oath in front of the government and the enthronement ceremony in the state hall took place 19 September

^Josefine,you mean 2013.He became king in 1973.

Anyway,did Silvia go to the event?She was dating him for a year.

There is no evidence that Silvia was attending the enthronement. She was probably not present. We would likely have known that by now if she was.
The only royals that we know for sure were present was The King, his 4 sisters and their uncle Prince Bertil.

It will be interesting to see how the enthronement of Queen Victoria I will be done when the day comes. The current constitution doesn't say much about it to be honest. It says that a new head of state can deliver an "office declaration" in front of the chamber where he or she formally accepts the office and declares that he or she will fulfill the duties. That replaces the earlier "Konungaförsäkran" that The King and most of our former Kings had to deliver.

That doesn't say much to be honest. It means that Victoria will likely travel to the parliament and deliver some kind of office declaration. That leaves room for her to introduce something new. As she has stated many times that she belives in God and is interested in the Church, she may introduce some kind of church blessing, similar to the ceremony in Norway. That would make almost the whole enthronement very similar to the norwegian wich i like very much.

It will be interesting to see how the enthronement of Queen Victoria I will be done when the day comes. The current constitution doesn't say much about it to be honest. It says that a new head of state can deliver an "office declaration" in front of the chamber where he or she formally accepts the office and declares that he or she will fulfill the duties. That replaces the earlier "Konungaförsäkran" that The King and most of our former Kings had to deliver.

That doesn't say much to be honest. It means that Victoria will likely travel to the parliament and deliver some kind of office declaration. That leaves room for her to introduce something new. As she has stated many times that she belives in God and is interested in the Church, she may introduce some kind of church blessing, similar to the ceremony in Norway. That would make almost the whole enthronement very similar to the norwegian wich i like very much.

My guess is that Victoria's accession under the terms of new Instrument of Government will be similar to the Belgian enthronement, i.e. Victoria will travel to parliament and make a declaration of office followed by an accession speech. The ceremony in the parliament may be preceded by a Te Deum at the palace's chapel, but I doubt there will be anything similiar to the Norwegian ceremony.

It remains to be seen if the crown and other regalia will be displayed next to the queen when she makes her declaration of office. I assume so, but that is not a given. In any case, I don't expect long gowns, tiaras or orders as in a Dutch enthronment. Overall, it will be a much less "grand" event than her father's accession.

Last edited:
When Gustaf VI Adolf died on 15 September 1973 at Helsingborg's hospital, Crown Prince Carl Gustaf, 27 years old, became King of Sweden.

Song after the ascension of King Carl XVI Gustaf to the throne.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that Victoria's accession under the terms of new Instrument of Government will be similar to the Belgian enthronement, i.e. Victoria will travel to parliament and make a declaration of office followed by an accession speech. The ceremony in the parliament may be preceded by a Te Deum at the palace's chapel, but I doubt there will be anything similiar to the Norwegian ceremony.

It remains to be seen if the crown and other regalia will be displayed next to the queen when she makes her declaration of office. I assume so, but that is not a given. In any case, I don't expect long gowns, tiaras or orders as in a Dutch enthronment. Overall, it will be a much less "grand" event than her father's accession.

You are probably right that a memorial speech over her father and an office declaration speech will be held in the parliament ”Riksdagen” next time and not at the Royal Palace.
A memorial service over the then Queen Victoria’s father may preceed the ceremony but i expect nothing to happen in the Hall of State, perhaps except for official pictures of Victoria and Daniel with the Silver Throne visible in the background...

There has never been tiaras worn for the accession in Sweden since the coronation was abolished. I also don’t think Court Dress will be worn next time as the ceremony likely won’t be at the Palace... Victoria may wear the Order of Seraphim over her mourning dress (like Margrethe wore the Order of the Elephant in 1972) but the others i expect will wear civil mourning dress’.

Though the new monarch will likely greet the crowd from the palace balcony as usual... But there won’t be any galas or carriage rides before her father has been laid to rest.

Last edited:
Is it not possible or even likely he may just abdicate once Estelle is 18? I really do get the feeling he is possibly only there now to do Victoria, Estelle and Oscar the substantial kindness of letting them grow up without their mom on the throne.

So he may go to Victoria’s enthronement, who knows. (And if this belongs in “Future of the Swedish Monarchy”, sorry.)

Is it not possible or even likely he may just abdicate once Estelle is 18? I really do get the feeling he is possibly only there now to do Victoria, Estelle and Oscar the substantial kindness of letting them grow up without their mom on the throne.

So he may go to Victoria’s enthronement, who knows. (And if this belongs in “Future of the Swedish Monarchy”, sorry.)

Possible but not likely i would say... No swedish monarch has abdicated since Queen Ulrika Eleonora in 1720... He is as far as we know about in excellent health and has (much like his reigning cousin in Denmark) stated repeatedly that he views it as a job for life.

I think it’s more likely that we will see Victoria take over substantially more at some point and become a de facto regent but a full abdication is unlikely unless something happens to him.

Last edited:
The King would only ever abdicate to save the monarchy and it's currently not under threat of getting abolished today, tomorrow or the day after that.

But there won’t be any galas or carriage rides before her father has been laid to rest.

If the Ceremony is held in the Parliament perpahs Queen Victoria and Prince Daniel could trive to the Riksdags building in a carriage like it was done in Denmark in 1972 where Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik at last drove back from Christiansborg to Amalienborg in an open carriage (don't remember if they also used on the way to Christiansborg.

If the Ceremony is held in the Parliament perpahs Queen Victoria and Prince Daniel could trive to the Riksdags building in a carriage like it was done in Denmark in 1972 where Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik at last drove back from Christiansborg to Amalienborg in an open carriage (don't remember if they also used on the way to Christiansborg.
I wouldn't rule out a carriage procession from the palace. At least not in the form we see at the Opening of Parliament every year.

To be honest I hadn't thought of anything than a sort of ceremony at the Royal Palace, but now it was brought up I can unfortunately see why a ceremony at the House of Parliament is more likely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom