King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th Birthday Celebrations: April 25-30, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gallery from today's reception at Svensk Damtidning, this is a funny photo, both the Marshal of the Realm and the First Marshal of the Court taking photos, of the press:
http://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Kungen-mottagning-ste4.jpg
Gallery, The Salvation Army gave as a present the book "Filippa och morfar går på Tivoli" (Filippa and grandpa go to Tivoli), and the TT News Agency gave a collage.
Firandet har börjat_ Oväntade gåvorna till kungen _ Svensk Damtidning

Galleries from the reception.
Stora festligheter när kungen firar 70 år _ Nyheter _ Expressen
ROYAL: König Carl Gustaf und Königin Silvia empfangen Behörden und Organisationen anlässlich seines 70. Geburtstag

Some blogs and social media write that grand duke Henri and grand duchess Maria Teresa will be attending, I haven't seen any confirmation to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting Isaxon1 and Xenobia. :)

We have the Disney show too in the afternoon on the 24th. - That keeps uncles, grandfathers and children occupied (in that order!) while dinner is prepared.
But I've so far never heard anyone here claim that children should think Christmas is celebrated because of Donald Duck! :ermm:
I think you have to be very politically correct-minded in order to come up with that one. Akin to the guy in Finland (IRRC) who many years ago said Daisy and Donald Duck are indecently dressed, as they are half-naked. :lol:

Princess Beatrix will be representing the Netherlands
Prinses Beatrix bij 70ste verjaardag van Koning Carl XVI Gustaf van Zweden | Activiteit | Het Koninklijk Huis

According to the website she will remain in Stockholm till May 1st

No news so far about Luxembourg, Monaco, England, and Leichstenstein

It's really frustrating that no official guestlist has been released by the Swedish court yet. It's Thursday now, I wonder if one will be released at all at this rate.

The Danes have anchored!! Svenskdam has pictures of the Royal yacht Danneborg anchored outside the national museum
Dannebrogen har lagt till! | Svensk Damtidning

It's really frustrating that no official guestlist has been released by the Swedish court yet. It's Thursday now, I wonder if one will be released at all at this rate.

The court had already said that guest lists will be published before the specific events, so I suppose they'll be publishing them before tomorrow's concert, the lunch at city hall and the banquet in the throne room on Saturday. In the meantime many royal houses added their attendance to their own online calendars :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Margareta Thorgren said earlier, that they have planned to publish the guest list of the royals on Saturday, the King's birthday.

Mottagning för Kungen - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:

Princess Beatrix's attendance was expected, but I am disappointed that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima will not be attending.

It appears that King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia won't be at the gala either, as Spain will be represented by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

Last edited:
I guess the British not sending anyone?

Porobably if the Brits send someone it will be Edward and Sophie. As for Luxembourg the Grand Ducal Couple is listed to attend the Mass for the Octave in the morning of the 01. so if they will be in Sweden they will probably leave before the Banquet. And Guillaume and Stephanie have an econimic Mission in China starting on Monday so it is assumed they will be leave for China on sunday.
It will be interesting to see if Fürst Hans Adam of Liechtenstein attends again. He attended 10 years ago and also the 40th birthday 30years ago toigether with his wife. Also Prince Albert of Monaco attended 10 years ago so.

Princess Beatrix's attendance was expected, but I am disappointed that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima will not be attending.

It appears that King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia won't be at the gala either, as Spain will be represented by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

King Carl Gustaf of course is of the generation of King Juan Carlos and Princess Beatrix.

How odd that the Dutch king and queen are not coming. There is nothing on their agendas for the weekend and they rarely missed out on such events before. I suppose they must be on vacation with their daughters since it is a school holiday next week.

The Danes have anchored!! Svenskdam has pictures of the Royal yacht Danneborg anchored outside the national museum
Dannebrogen har lagt till! | Svensk Damtidning

i guess the DRF sent the Danneborg beforehand.
Mary is currently completing a 2 day visit in Burkina Faso, Africa, plus she has an event the 29th in DK. Frederik was visiting Danish troops in Iraq, plus he has two events on the 29th in DK.
They are scheduled to attend the 30th
H.M. Dronningen, Kronprinsparret samt H.K.H. Prinsesse Benedikte deltager i fejringen af H.M. Kong Carl XVI Gustaf af Sveriges 70-års fødselsdag | Kongehuset - Forside

Last edited:
King Carl Gustaf of course is of the generation of King Juan Carlos and Princess Beatrix.

And so is Queen Margrethe II. Nevertheless, both King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe VI attended Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday gala.

And so is Queen Margrethe II. Nevertheless, both King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe VI attended Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday gala.

i think it's natural that WA and felipe are turning down these invitations now that they are heads of state and sending the retired monarchs. i had some hope maxima and WA would attend, seeing that maxima attended the recent wedding in sweden between CP and sofia, but it is a good choice that beatrix attends as it is her generation. felipe and letizia, on the other hand, given the economic and political situation of spain, are better off at home and wise to send JC and sofia.

The positions of Felipe, Willem-Alexander and Philippe have changed, as well the positions of Juan Carlos, Beatrix and Albert. The last three are free and have no full agendas. That Queen Margrethe comes is not so strange, given the strong bond between the Scandinavian monarchies. Margrethe's own mother was a Princess of Sweden.

I guess I'm thinking about this in more commoner terms, I see nothing wrong with Felipe, W-A and Phillipe not attending and sending Juan Carlos, Beatrix and Albert. The King is turning 70 and this party is for him, he has more in common with the older royals, whether they are not on the throne or not, that he does the younger generation.

In WA's case, he is Marge's godson, so it was to be expected he would attend her birthday and not send his mother. He was seated at her table because of it. The political situation in Spain has changed, perhaps why Felipe wont come this time. Or it could even be as simple as the birthday guest of honor, and knowing who they would prefer. Maybe Felipe believes CG would appreciate seeing his contemporaries more, and chose to send his parents instead.

I guess I'm thinking about this in more commoner terms, I see nothing wrong with Felipe, W-A and Phillipe not attending and sending Juan Carlos, Beatrix and Albert. The King is turning 70 and this party is for him, he has more in common with the older royals, whether they are not on the throne or not, that he does the younger generation.

Phillipe and Mathilde are attending. I don't think Albert and Paola will be present.

In WA's case, he is Marge's godson, so it was to be expected he would attend her birthday and not send his mother. He was seated at her table because of it. The political situation in Spain has changed, perhaps why Felipe wont come this time. Or it could even be as simple as the birthday guest of honor, and knowing who they would prefer. Maybe Felipe believes CG would appreciate seeing his contemporaries more, and chose to send his parents instead.

I mentioned before that Carl Gustaf and Silvia have a good relationship with Sofia and Juan Carlos. Here are some quotes from Bilder ur mitt liv- written by Silvia.
"We [Juan Carlos and Sofia] always have a lot to talk about when we meet because we have so many common interests."
"I really like King Juan Carlos and I admire him for the strength and diplomacy with which he brought Spain into the realms of democracy. We usually speak Spanish with each other, which of course it is easier to meet on the same wavelength. We also have the same kind of humor, which is important when socializing."

Majesty Mathilde will attend and we will never see Queen Paola with a tiara anymore.

Majesty Mathilde will attend and we will never see Queen Paola with a tiara anymore.

I wish Mathilde would wear Paola's tiara again (which is actually Queen Elisabeth's tiara), but Paola seems to have given it to Princess Astrid instead.

Going back to my previous point, I am not saying tha JC and Sofia or Beatrix should not attend. I'm just saying it is odd that the current kings of Spain and the Netherlands attended Queen Margrethe's gala and won't be at Carl Gustaf's. I understand W-A has the excuse that he is Margrethe's godson and Felipe can say the political situation in Spain precludes him from traveling (although government formation talks are now on hold until there are fresh elections), but, still, that doesn't seem diplomatic to me.

Last edited:
Maybe Carl Gustaf has hinted he would lóve to see his old pals Juanito and Trix at his birthday. Who knows?

I wish Mathilde would wear Paola's tiara again (which is actually Queen Elisabeth's tiara), but Paola seems to have given it to Princess Astrid instead.

Going back to my previous point, I am not saying tha JC and Sofia or Beatrix should not attend. I'm just saying it is odd that the current kings of Spain and the Netherlands attended Queen Margrethe's gala and won't be at Carl Gustaf's. I understand W-A has the excuse that he is Margrethe's godson and Felipe can say the political situation in Spain precludes him from traveling (although government formation talks are now on hold until there are fresh elections), but, still, that doesn't seem diplomatic to me.

It seems at the official Dinner for Margfrethe's birthday only the reigning monarch with spouse where invited. Even from Norway and Sweden the Crown Princely Couples did not attend and they usually attend Events like this in Denmark

King Felipe can not go because the political situation in Spain does not allow him to leave the country this week... negotiations to form a government have failed and he must convoke elections again. Under normal circumstances, he had gone as he went to the birthday of the Queen of Denmark.

I can imagine that the dutch King or Queen will be in Sweden on May 27th for the christening of Prince Oscar

:previous: It depends. The event will definitely be smaller than Estelle's. While I expect some foreign royals, not sure we will see any crowned heads unless as godparents. WA already serves for Estelle. Mathilde/Philippe are a more likely choice for godparent/make an appearance for a crowned head.

Prince Alexander is the new generation in the male agnatic lineage of the Bernadotte Kings. Genealogically and historically his position is interesting, as some fideï commis settlements were changed (with approval of the intended benefactor, Prince Carl Philip) like the Galliera Foundation. Prince Carl Philip and his sons still have a different position as -for an example Princess Madeleine. His inheritance of Solbäcken and the settlement around Stenhammar shows this. It is possible that Prince Alexander, the eldest child to Sweden's former Crown Prince, will have high ranked godparents.

Back
Top Bottom