King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th Birthday Celebrations: April 25-30, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyFinn

Imperial Majesty
City
Southwest
Country
Finland
Press release at the court website about the official program

Monday, April 25
The Royal Academies organize a Baltic Sea Seminar
Time: 19:00

Tuesday, April 26
The Military Bands give a birthday concert
Time: 18:00

Thursday, April 28
Authorities and organizations are given the opportunity to congratulate the King at a reception.
Time: 10:00

Friday, April 29
Authorities and organizations are given the opportunity to congratulate the King at a reception

The royal art academies congratulate the King
Time: 15:00

The Royal Opera and Stockholm Concert Hall will give a concert on the occasion of the King's 70-year celebration
Time: 19:00

Saturday, April 30
Te Deum on the occasion of the commemoration of the King's 70th birthday

The Armed Forces celebrate the King with music and changing of the guard
Time: 10:30

Choral singing
Time: 12:15

After the choirs performance the royal family travels in procession to City Hall, where the city of Stockholm offers a lunch
Time: 13:00 cortege departs from the Royal Palace

The Parliament, the Government and the governors, congratulate the king at a reception
Time: 15:30

Banquet for invited guests
Time: 19:30

Gifts and courtship
For those who wish to congratulate the King are recommended to consider the Young Leadership Foundation which is close to the king's heart. Young Leadership Foundation was instituted before the King's 60th birthday and will be extended for another 5 years with specialization Leadership for Sweden's future.
Kungens 70-årsfirande - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Last edited:
:previous:

It was not really as Johan T Lindwall and Expressen expected. What a surprise! It is pretty much the same as the 60th Birthday, and I'm glad that I had right about the Gala dinner in the Hall of State. I din't think the dinner will be a private thing, they should have chosen a different venue in that case.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the event in the Nordic Museum on Friday 29 will be a concert. I am curious as to which event will have tiaras and all the big glitter. :D
What do you think, will they publish a guestlist shortly before the gala events or will we just have to wait and see who arrives?

So the event in the Nordic Museum on Friday 29 will be a concert. I am curious as to which event will have tiaras and all the big glitter. :D
What do you think, will they publish a guestlist shortly before the gala events or will we just have to wait and see who arrives?

Interesting that they Conert will be at the Nordic Museum and not at the Opera or Concert Hall.
Dont't thiink that the Concert will be white tie. As far as i remember the SRF never had two white tie Events fior similar occasions so i espect the Concert to be black tie and the Banquet to be white tie. Pity that they don't follow the danish Example to have black tie with tiaras for such occasions.

What a nice program :) it's actually bigger than i was expecting :)

I think we can expect the concert at the Nordic Museum, the Te Deum, The Changing of the Guard, the Choral program from the Lion Slope and the (horse?) procession to the City Hall to be broadcasted.

The concert on Friday will by all likelyhood be Black Tie and the banquet on Saturday evening will ofcourse be White Tie.

I don't think the gala banquet will be live broadcasted. They are usually not in Sweden and on the Royal website it states "only photopool" for the press for the lunch and banquet wich usually means that those "photopools" will be the only opportunities for the press to take any pictures while most of the other activities have "photo option" wich means that tv will likely be there too. But i know from sources on Swedish television that there have been talks about to show the speeches. Many was very dissapointed that nothing from the banquet, not even the Crown Princess speech to the King was shown at all when he turned 60.

We gotta wait and see how it turns out.

A (Royal and Presidential) guest list will likely be published during that week.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly from the banquet on the occasion of the Kings fiftieth birthday at least the arriving and greeting of the guests as well as the Queens speech was televised.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

how exciting - a big royal gathering! does anyone have the guest list of royals who attended the 60th birthday celebrations? it may give us an idea on who to expect! :)

i guess since it's in april it's quite likely that sofia won't attend, being close to delivering or soon after becoming a mom! i guess that carl philip will attend in any case.

how exciting - a big royal gathering! does anyone have the guest list of royals who attended the 60th birthday celebrations? it may give us an idea on who to expect! :)

i guess since it's in april it's quite likely that sofia won't attend, being close to delivering or soon after becoming a mom! i guess that carl philip will attend in any case.

I don't have the guestlist, but in the picture that was posted here the royals in attendance were: King Harald and Queen Sonja; Queen Beatrix; King Albert and Queen Paola; Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa; and Prince Hans-Adam. There were no representatives from the Uk, Spain, Denmark and Monaco in the picture.

The birth of Sofia's baby is cutting it close to CG's 70th birthday party. The Hellqvists are expected to attend the celebrations, so the baby may be coming in early April.

I would think her parents would still be invited even if she was unable to attend.

If Sofia plans to attend, she better hope baby comes earlier in the month. I doubt she will be too anxious to attend some of these events if the baby comes too late. Kind of like Victoria cancelling victoriadagen.

I don't have the guestlist, but in the picture that was posted here the royals in attendance were: King Harald and Queen Sonja; Queen Beatrix; King Albert and Queen Paola; Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa; and Prince Hans-Adam. There were no representatives from the Uk, Spain, Denmark and Monaco in the picture.

As far as i remember

Norway : The King and and Queen, The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Märtha and Ari

Denmark : (self proclaimed) King Henrik and Crown Princess Mary. Queen Margrethe was to attend but became ill and had to stay home

The finnish and icelandic presidential couples

Belgium : King Albert and Queen Paola

Netherlands : The usual trio (Bea, W-A and Max)

Luxembourg : Henri, M-T and Gulliaume

Lichtenstein : H-A

And many related non-reigning royals

If i remember correctly UK and Spain was only represented by their ambassadors

Last edited:
i hope that means this time felipe and letizia will attend, although i think it's highly unlikely and most likely that they send sofia.

It will also depend on who will be invited. The new monarchs from the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain or the former monarchs who would be more in the age of the birthday boy.

Prince Albert II of Monaco also attended the King's 60th birthday. He went to the party on the 29th but I havn't seen any pictures of him at the white tie event the following evening. He was, of course, unmarried then and may not have wanted to attend 2 parties on his own but his presence 10 years ago bodes well for him and the Princess receiving an invite to this celebration as well. If they do attend I hope it will be to both events this time as I'd love to see Charlene in her tiara and order for the first time.

Last edited:
It will also depend on who will be invited. The new monarchs from the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain or the former monarchs who would be more in the age of the birthday boy.

I am pretty sure that the current monarchs of the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain will be invited, as they were to Queen Margrethe II's 75th birthday gala dinner. As it is an official event, invitations should be sent to the actual Heads of State, regardless of how close they are in age to Carl Gustaf.

Last edited:
I think that the question is not only who receives an invitation, but also who accepts the invitation. A lot depends on whether there are other important engagements or not. In 2006 many countries were represented by two generations of royals, the same could happen now. Only that for some it's not monarch and heir, but monarchs and former monarch. Only that Albert and Paola probably won't be there because of health reasons. JC hasn't attended anything for many years. But Sofia and Beatrix might be there together with the new monarchs. At least I hops so! :D

I don't have a complete guest list either, and as usual I'm guilty of only cataloging the tiara-wearing ladies. But at the 60th BD there many interesting royals, apart from the usual reigning monarchs and heirs. Eg. there were Princess Astrid of Norway, the Konstantin, Anne-Marie, Pavlos and MC of Greece, Prince and Princess Hassan of Jordan with their son and daughter-in-law, Princess Margarita of Romania, the Duke and Duchess of Braganca, Prince Leopold and Princess Ursula of Bavaria, and some of the Bernadotte Counts and Countesses.

Princess Takamado from Japan attended the weddings of CP and Madeleine, so maybe she'll be invited to the birthday as well? I wouldn't be surprised to see Prince Hubertus und Princess Kelly of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha as well.

The guest list, for the gala diner on April 30th, is available at the website of the Royal Court, the language is a strange mix of English and Swedish. I have translated the royal and presidential guests, not the (extended) Swedish Royal Family.

I think that the 70th birthday gala dinner will be quite grand, thinking of the venue is the Hall of State. So the guest list will probably be more like the 50th birthday or the Crown Princess Couple's wedding, with a big turnout of sovereigns, heirs and former sovereigns.

Galamiddag på Kungliga Slottet - Sveriges Kungahus

Guest list 60th birthday gala dinner, April 30th 2006
Belgium:
T.M. King Albert II and Queen Paola,
T.R.H. Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde

Bulgaria
T.M. King Simeon II and Queen Margarita,
T.R.H. Prince Kyril and Princess Rosario

Denmark
H.R.H. Prince Henrik
H.R.H. Crown Princess Mary

Finland
H.E. President Mrs Tarja Halonen and Dr. Pentti Arajärvi

Germany
S.K.H. Prinz Leopold von Bayern and I.K.H. Prinzessin Ursula,
S.K.H. Herzog Max Emanuel in Bayern and I.K.H. Herzogin Elizabeth in Bayern, S.H. Prinz Andreas von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha and I.H. Prinzessin Carin, S.H. Erbprinz Hubertus von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha.

Greece
T.M. King Konstantin and Queen Anna Maria,
T.R.H. Crown Prince Pavlos and Crown Princess Marie-Chantal,
H.R.H. Prince Nikolaos

Iceland
H.E. President Dr. Ólafur Ragnar Grimsson and Mrs Dorrit Moussaieff

Jordan
H.R.H. Prince Raad bin Zeid and H.R.H. Princess Majda Raad Zeid,
H.R.H. Prince Ali bin Al Hussein och H.R.H. Princess Rym Ali,
H.R.H. Prince El Hassan bin Talal, and H.R.H. Princess Sarvath El Hassan.

Liechtenstein
II.DD. von und zu S.D. Hans-Adam II Fürst.

Luxembourg
T.R.H. Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa

Netherlands
H.M. Queen Beatrix
T.R.H. The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima

Norway
T.M. King Harald and Queen Sonja
T.R.H. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner and MR Johan Martin Ferner

Portugal
T.R.H. Dom Duarte Pio, Duke of Bragança and Dona Isabel, Duchess of Bragança

Romania
H.R.H. Crown Princess Margarita and H.S.H. Prins Radu of Hohenzollern-
Veringen.

Thailand
H.R.H. Princess Sirindhorn

Yugoslavia
H.R.H. Crown Prince Alexander

Ideally, I'd love for both GD and HGD couples to attend but I really hope Maria Teresa is able to go. Perhaps her fear of flying has diminished or she'll have a long drive to Sweden.

Ideally, I'd love for both GD and HGD couples to attend but I really hope Maria Teresa is able to go. Perhaps her fear of flying has diminished or she'll have a long drive to Sweden.
They have also the Octave Procession on the next day where there is a Mass early in the Day.

They have also the Octave Procession on the next day where there is a Mass early in the Day.

Good point. I didn't realize the Closing of Octave is on May 1st this year. Perhaps the Luxembourgs will only attend the 29th or send one couple to Sweden while the other stays home for Octave.

I think it likely Stephanie and Gui will be sent. With MT's fear of flying and the procession on Sunday, I don't see her and Henri going.

Good point. I didn't realize the Closing of Octave is on May 1st this year. Perhaps the Luxembourgs will only attend the 29th or send one couple to Sweden while the other stays home for Octave.

Don't know how early the first Mass is but i hope that there is perhaps a chance that they will fly back in the morning. The procession and another Mass is in the afternoon.

Maybe Henri and Maria Theresa will attend on April 29 (if there are royals invited to the concert on 29:th) and then travel back home while Gulliaume and Stephanie travels to Sweden on April 30 ?

The guest list, for the gala diner on April 30th, is available at the website of the Royal Court, the language is a strange mix of English and Swedish. I have translated the royal and presidential guests, not the (extended) Swedish Royal Family.

I think that the 70th birthday gala dinner will be quite grand, thinking of the venue is the Hall of State. So the guest list will probably be more like the 50th birthday or the Crown Princess Couple's wedding, with a big turnout of sovereigns, heirs and former sovereigns.

I think we can expect a large turnout of royals but also a larger than usual turnout of personal friends and relatives.

As they have choosen to be in the state hall for the banquet i guess we can expect around 500 guests there like it was during Victoria and Daniel's wedding.

As they have choosen to be in the state hall for the banquet i guess we can expect around 500 guests there like it was during Victoria and Daniel's wedding.

But some of them where seated in the Appartements oif the Royal Orders.

How many guests can be seated in the Hall of State. I think the only other Banquet who took plsce there apart from Victoria's Wedding was the King's 50th birthday but i think then they tables where placed different then at the Wedding.

Last edited:

How many guests can be seated in the Hall of State. I think the only other Banquet who took plsce there apart from Victoria's Wedding was the King's 50th birthday but i think then they tables where placed different then at the Wedding.

I don't know how many people who are allowed to be in "Rikssalen" at the same time.

Yes i also think the Kings 50:th birthday banquet was the only other banquet there, atleast during this reign.
There was one long table in the middle then and round tables on each sides. By looking at the pictures from Victorias wedding i think it lookes like there was much more people there in 2010. But i may be wrong...

According to the royal court website, there were 558 guests at the wedding dinner of Victoria and Daniel. In addition to the Hall of State, three of the Apartments of the Orders of Chivalry were also used for the dinner, there wasn't enough room for the guests at the Hall of State.
At the Hall of State were round tables and the long table of honour for 98 guests.
Bröllopsmiddagen - Sveriges Kungahus

Svd tells at their article that there were 38 round tables.
”Jag älskar dig Victoria” _ SvD

From this photo we can see that the round tables were for 8 guests:
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Another photo from the dinner
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0300010020011S14566401852212479

So, 38 tables * 8 guests + 98 guests at the long table = 402 guests at the Hall of State (and the rest at the Apartments of the Orders of Chivalry).

And here is a photo from the King's 50th birthday dinner at the Hall of State
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0600010050011P14566416292217391

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom