The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The King and Queen attend a pre-birthday reception at the Palace today.

Belga

Belga Image - Editorial

Old 04-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

King Felipe can not go because the political situation in Spain does not allow him to leave the country this week... negotiations to form a government have failed and he must convoke elections again. Under normal circumstances, he had gone as he went to the birthday of the Queen of Denmark.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Serene Highness

I can imagine that the dutch King or Queen will be in Sweden on May 27th for the christening of Prince Oscar
Old 04-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

It depends. The event will definitely be smaller than Estelle's. While I expect some foreign royals, not sure we will see any crowned heads unless as godparents. WA already serves for Estelle. Mathilde/Philippe are a more likely choice for godparent/make an appearance for a crowned head.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Alexander is the new generation in the male agnatic lineage of the Bernadotte Kings. Genealogically and historically his position is interesting, as some fideï commis settlements were changed (with approval of the intended benefactor, Prince Carl Philip) like the Galliera Foundation. Prince Carl Philip and his sons still have a different position as -for an example Princess Madeleine. His inheritance of Solbäcken and the settlement around Stenhammar shows this. It is possible that Prince Alexander, the eldest child to Sweden's former Crown Prince, will have high ranked godparents.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps the 'perceived supremacy' of the agnatic line and how that will impact the superiority of his godparents, should be in the 'godparent' thread for Alexander, and not in the birthday thread.

I apologize for even responding to the WA/Maxima at Oscar's baptism, wrong thread and I didn't think it would lead here.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Prince Alexander is the new generation in the male agnatic lineage of the Bernadotte Kings. Genealogically and historically his position is interesting, as some fideï commis settlements were changed (with approval of the intended benefactor, Prince Carl Philip) like the Galliera Foundation. Prince Carl Philip and his sons still have a different position as -for an example Princess Madeleine. His inheritance of Solbäcken and the settlement around Stenhammar shows this. It is possible that Prince Alexander, the eldest child to Sweden's former Crown Prince, will have high ranked godparents.
i understand your points, but hope that is not the case. it would be a snub, in my opinion, to victoria and estelle. to me, rejection of the crown being passed on to the male heir implies rejection of such old and absurd rules of male predominance. but clearly not for the swedes, having assigned alexander with such a historical duchy associated to that tradition.

if anything, it should have been oscar, as the first male born from the heir, who inherited this duchy....
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Serene Highness

Södermanland is not a "grander" region and duchy than any other regions in Sweden. Skåne (Oscars duchy) is a much larger landscape. 2 Bernadotte Kings (Gustaf VI Adolf and Karl XV) were Duke of Skåne and 1 (Oscar I) were Duke of Södermanland so in that way, Skåne is a more important duchy in the Bernadotte dynasty.

Alex was most likely created Duke of Södermanland because of practical reasons as he will most likely inherite both Stenhammar Estate and Villa Ökenäs from his father wich are both situated in Södermanland. These inharitances has nothing to do with the line of succession as they are private houses and not owned by the King.
There is no need to overdramatize that.

Let's go back to the topic now !!!!!!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Galleries from the reception
Mottagning på Slottet _ Kungligt
IBL Bildbyrå

HQ photo from the court press website, the scouts congratulating the King
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200....gahuset.se.jpg

Dannebrogen in Stockholm
Dannebrogen har lagt till _ Kungligt

The Staff of the Swedish Embassy in Singapore congratulates the King
https://twitter.com/SwedeninSG/statu...95755089776640
Old 04-29-2016, 04:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Perhaps the 'perceived supremacy' of the agnatic line and how that will impact the superiority of his godparents, should be in the 'godparent' thread for Alexander, and not in the birthday thread.

I apologize for even responding to the WA/Maxima at Oscar's baptism, wrong thread and I didn't think it would lead here.
There is no "supremacy" in question. His Majesty The King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau is godfather to Estelle, see picture. It also shows the attachment of the King to the Crown Princess, having known each other their whole lives long. The non-attendance of the Dutch King and Queen most likely will have been a generational choice.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

I did place this post on the 70th birthday thread especially because the absence of the dutch royal couple could be explained by a possible presence at the christening of Oscar in 4 weeks time.
The royal couple of the Netherlands are good friends of the crownprincess couple

I don't think that the whole supremacy question is of any importance for birthday or christening invitations, but that it depends on friendships, agendas and generations
Old 04-29-2016, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

The photos of today's reception are updated to this article, which has also the photos from yesterday's reception:
Stora festligheter när kungen firar 70 år _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Expressen writes how the staff at the court have planned the whole celebration led by the king's chief of staff, Major General Håkan Pettersson. One of the surprises to the king at the Saturday evening's party will be an ABBA show, which has been booked in the greatest secrecy. In order that no detail will escape the surprise has gone under a code name.
Expressen can now tell that it's "Mamma Mia - the party", currently played to full houses at Tyrol in Stockholm, which has been booked. The musical "Mamma Mia!" has been seen by 55 million people, and the film of the same name, has gathered over five billion SEK. It's ABBA Björn Ulvaeus behind the new experience where guests become part of the entertainment.
The show is sold out at the Tyrol even tomorrow evening. Reportedly, the artists go afterwards to the Royal Palace to convey the King's Abba favorites. Early yesterday morning began the light arrangement for the show to be mounted in the White Sea Hall.
Original ABBA's will not be in place.
- I will not be at the Palace on Saturday. I am invited to another place, says Björn Ulvaeus.
The king's sister Princess Christina already knows who will hold out longest on the dance floor: The King.
- You do not have to ask. There is a lively 70-year-old there, she says, laughing.
Dansöverraskningen till kung Carl Gustaf på hans födelsedag _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Old 04-29-2016, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There is no "supremacy" in question. His Majesty The King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau is godfather to Estelle, see picture. It also shows the attachment of the King to the Crown Princess, having known each other their whole lives long. The non-attendance of the Dutch King and Queen most likely will have been a generational choice.
You don't say, Estelle is WA's goddaughter. I am shocked. Oh wait, I have said that myself

FYI I wasn't talking about Estelle. I was clearly, as denoted by the responding to your post about Alexander. Your continued obsession with the seeming 'supremacy' of the agnatic line. I suggested that it was a topic better for the godparent thread. Not a birthday thread.

Quote:
I did place this post on the 70th birthday threat especially because the absence of the dutch royal couple could be explained by a possible presence at the christening of Oscar in 4 weeks time.
The royal couple of the Netherlands are good friends of the crownprincess couple

I don't think that the whole supremacy question is of any importance for birthday or christening invitations, but that it depends on friendships, agendas and generations
I definitely understand why you brought it up and I see your point. Why I responded. I just fear by responding, it led this thread to be taken down a completely wildly off track of the superiority of male blood.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:11 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

How about we get back to the topic of the King's birthday? Not who is a possible godparent for either of his newborn grandsons?

Further off-topic posts will be deleted.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 AM
Commoner

There is now a guest list for the concert this evening. Prince Albert will be there as well as Princess Takamado of Japan and representatives from non-regning houses such as Romania, Serbia and Bavaria. Seems like most of the royals will arrive tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:52 AM
Nobility

The Guest list for the concert and reception at the Nordic Museum has been released. Some foreign Royals attending, e.g. The Prince of Monaco

http://www.kungahuset.se/download/18...april+2016.pdf
Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
The Guest list for the concert and reception at the Nordic Museum has been released. Some foreign Royals attending, e.g. The Prince of Monaco

http://www.kungahuset.se/download/18...april+2016.pdf
Great that also princess Margaretha is attending. Nice to see also court Carl Johan Bernadotte's children Christian and Monica attending, and of course the parents of Daniel, Sofia and Chris. Countess Gunnila Bernadotte isn't at the list, she hasn't attended at the festivities in Stockholm during the last years. Not many members of the queen's family.
Former Mistress of the Robes Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister isn't at the guest list, although there are a lot of former staff invited. It seems that her health isn't very good. She hoped in her interview so much that she could attend at the festivities.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Pity Prince Albert II is attending on his own ,I wonder if we will see anyone from the British Royal family present?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Commoner

Too bad Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister won't be attending. She had to resign as Mistress of the Robes last year due to sickness, but she had hoped to become well enough to participate in the celebrations. She is turning 90 in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Strange that Queen Margrethe isn't attending when she is already in town.