King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th Birthday Celebrations: April 25-30, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the other Hand the closing of the Octave is every year which the 70th birthday of the swedish King is nit. And if is sio important then they should have not scheduled the economic mission of Guillaume and Stephanoe so that they will miss it the second year in a row. (last yerar they where at another official Event ab road).

The 70th of the Swedish King is hardly a big deal from the perspective of the LRF. I think they were right to not attend.

It seems that the dress cose wasnt clear: some in long dresses, some in cocktail dresses and princess Birgitta is dressed for the beach. Lovely outfit for princess Takamodo of Japan. Nice to see Daniels parents, they seem to be lovely people.

Last edited:
The 70th of the Swedish King is hardly a big deal from the perspective of the LRF. I think they were right to not attend.
I agree, it would be comparable to the BRF missing the trooping of the color for a birthday event like this. It may be an annual event, but it is a very important one to the Lux family, one they try not to miss unless something big (like a trade trip to China) comes up.

I guess that the two empty seats are those where the norwegian king and queen were suposed to sit. The cancelled so late that it probably wasn't possible to change the seating.

But king Harald and queen Sonja weren't at the guest list for tonight's concert, the norwegian royals should have arrived tomorrow. Prince Albert was at the guest list but I haven't seen a photo of him.

But king Harald and queen Sonja weren't at the guest list for tonight's concert, the norwegian royals should have arrived tomorrow. Prince Albert was at the guest list but I haven't seen a photo of him.

Yes, you're right. It must be prince Alberts place.. and another unexpected no show?

I agree, it would be comparable to the BRF missing the trooping of the color for a birthday event like this. It may be an annual event, but it is a very important one to the Lux family, one they try not to miss unless something big (like a trade trip to China) comes up.

Last year the Wedding of Carl Philip and Sofia was on the same day as Trooping the Colour and Edward and Sophie attended the Wedding and missed the Trooping.
And the Octave ceremony is only on the next day not the same then the birthday celebrations.

Last year the Wedding of Carl Philip and Sofia was on the same day as Trooping the Colour and Edward and Sophie attended the Wedding and missed the Trooping.
And the Octave ceremony is only on the next day not the same then the birthday celebrations.

And, again, GD Henri attended Queen Margrethe Ii's birthday gala, but like the kings of Spain and the Netherlands, chose not to attend Carl Gustaf's.

Yes, but there probably aren't flights to Luxembourg late tomorrow evening or so early Sunday morning that the royals could attend at the Octave mass at 10.30. It is the closing of 350th Octave and the Pope is sending Cardinal Rainer Maria Woelki, archbishop of Cologne, as his special envoy at the closing of the Octave of Our Lady Consoler.

Victoria held a great speech to her father, she said among other things:
"In your speech after the tsunami disaster, you said you know what it means not to have a father. I want to say to you, I know what it means to have a father. A father who serves as a role model and support. Upright and experienced, You are a source of peace and security, trust and warmth.
And on summers on Öland, with fishing nets which were emptied, to sit there in the boat with you dad, is one of my finest memories".
H.K.H. Kronprinsessan Victorias tal vid mottagningen på Nordiska museet, fredagen den 29 april 2016 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Victorias fina hyllning till sin pappa kungen _ Nyheter _ Expressen

The fashion experts' points from the outfits:
Expressen: Victoria, Madeleine and queen Silvia all 5, king Carl Gustaf 4, Eva O'Neill 2, Princess Takamado 4, Princess Birgitta 2, Princess Margaretha 2, Princess Désirée 3, Princess Christina 2, Vicky Andrén Magnuson 4.
Aftonbladet/TheYouWay: Victoria 5, Daniel 5, Carl Philip 4, Madeleine 4, Chris 3, queen Silvia 4, king Carl Gustaf 4.
Så snyggt klädde de sig när Kungen firade 70 år _ Allt om mode
De klädde sig bäst på Kungens 70-årsfirande - The You Way

Victoria and Daniel leaving home
https://media.shootitlive.com/T6wl0FgQzMJ4pmlAN5H2Zu0nM4k/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2193

Last edited by a moderator:
And, again, GD Henri attended Queen Margrethe Ii's birthday gala, but like the kings of Spain and the Netherlands, chose not to attend Carl Gustaf's.

And again the King of Spain can not attend because of political resasons but he send his parents and the dutch King sends his mother.

"In your speech after the tsunami disaster, you said you know what it means not to have a father. I want to say to you, I know what it means to have a father. A father who serves as a role model and support. Upright and experienced, You are a source of peace and security, trust and warmth.
And on summers on Öland, with fishing nets which were emptied, to sit there in the boat with you dad, is one of my finest memories".

Very lovely, we should make a thread "warm words by royals" and this would be right at the top... :flowers:

But the Belgian King is coming.
I hope the Queen will wear the emeralds of Queen Astrid !

Awwww:cry: such beautiful words

I don't recall seeing the Zorreguieta's at any public celebration of Queen Beatrix's birthdays and I don't think CP Mary's family ever attended any of Queen Margrethe's birthday galas.

No, but they did attend the festivities for the 40th birthdays of their son-in-law and their daughter, the three baptism and coming year will see the King celebrating his 50th birthday, which will probably see them too.

The political problems from the period during the military junta, the long distance (litterally the other side of the world, the other hemipshere) and the frail health of the father are obstacles for more public appearances. Frau Gösta von Amsberg Freiin von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen (the mother of Prince Claus), Princess Armgard von Lippe-Biesterfeld Freiin von Sierstorpff-Cramm and her younger son Prince Aschwin were seen, bit also only during bigger private festivities.

It is nice to see that members of the Westling, O'Neill and Hellqvist families were also invited. In other countries, it looks like the families of commoners who have married into the royal family are completely shut out of public royal events.

that's not true everywhere. letizia's parents, grandmother and aunt, for example, are invited to the princess of asturias awards, for example, and have been attending every year since she married into the RF. so do the middletons.

very sweet words by victoria. did any of the children make a short speech?

it seems like it was a beautiful evening in stockholm too :) it is always funny to see some royals dressed in very heavy winter clothes (silvia and her fur coat) and some royals in short sleeves, like victoria, braving the weather. also interesting to see that madeleine wore a short skirt, and the queen a long one, with victoria opting for something in the middle.

Last edited:
And again the King of Spain can not attend because of political resasons but he send his parents and the dutch King sends his mother.

Government formation talks have been now suspended in Spain. The King's only role left until the new parliament convenes after the elections is to sign the royal decree dissolving the Congress of Deputies, which will be done on May 2, which is the constitutional deadline. I don't see any constitutional reason then why Felipe VI couldn't be in Sweden on Saturday and return to Spain the day after, but it is not up to me to question why the King of Spain decided not to attend.

that's not true everywhere. letizia's parents, grandmother and aunt, for example, are invited to the princess of asturias awards, for example, and have been attending every year since she married into the RF. so do the middletons.

There is a difference between attending events related to your son's/daughter's and his/her royal consort's nuclear family and attending events related to the monarch who happens to be your son's or daughter's father or mother-in-law. King Carl XVI Gustaf seems to be the only monarch who tries to include his daughter-in-law's or his sons-in-law's families in his official birthday celebrations. As I said, I can't recall Queen Beatrix, or Queen Margrethe II, or Queen Elizabeth II doing that. I can't tell about King Juan Carlos or King Harald V for lack of knowledge.

Gallery from the Royal Opera
Kungen uppvaktas av de Kungliga Akademierna _ Kungligt

Great gallery from Robin Utrecht from arrivals to Nordiska Museet
VERJAARDAG VAN KONING carl gustaf 70 jaar - Images _ Robin Utrecht _ Photoshelter
More galleries
King Carl Gustaf's 70th birhtday, Concert Nordic Museum, 29-04-2016 - Images _ Bernard Rübsamen
IBL Bildbyrå

70 photos from the king's life
Carl XVI Gustaf 70 år_ Bilderna från varje år av kungens liv _ Cecilia Hagen _ Expressen

Videos of the arrivals
Konsert för Kungen på Nordiska museet
Victoria von Schweden_ Schöner als Kleopatra_ Dieses Outfit ist einmalig _ BUNTE.de
Madeleine von Schweden_ Atemberaubend glamourös_ Ein Auftritt wie in Hollywood _ BUNTE.de

TV4 Play has a live broadcast about the king's birthday at their News morning from 07.50 until 13.30.
Nyhetsmorgon - Streama TV4 Play

SVT Play's "official" birthday program starts in 09.45 and ends about 13.45, the link to live broadcast:
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf 70 år _ SVT Play

SVT shows in the evening 20.00-21.00 a Summary of the day's celebration at the Royal Palace. The Government and Parliament deliver presents, guests arrive at the evening banquet.
And at 21.00-22.00 Yesterday's concert at Nordiska Museet.
These are also put to SVT Play.

42 Swedish flags were hoisted at the wharf to mark the king's birthday (because 42 countries take part at the Eurovision Song Contest in Stockholm after a couple of weeks).

The rhetorician experts are praising Victoria's speech yesterday evening
Kronprinsessan Victorias tal till Kungen hyllas av experter _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Ebbas blogg _ Ebba Kleberg von Sydow » Wow, Victoria – wow!

Operakällaren's chef and Court Restaurateur Stefano Catenacci and his team prepare the dinner.
- I can not reveal what it will be for the menu but I can say that there will be a three-course menu that goes in the characters of spring. Then the king has own wishes for what he wants.
The King has been very involved?
- They are always involved. I suggest a menu but it's his party and he will decide. Then there is an evening snack too.
But it does not seem to have been a desire for hot dogs for the evening snack?
- No, it will not be, says Stefano Catenacci, laughing.
There will be the Abba-show from "Mamma Mia! The Party" and, the band of the evening will be Cotton Club, which performed at Victoria's and Daniel's wedding.
Så blir kungens fest _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

There is a difference between attending events related to your son's/daughter's and his/her royal consort's nuclear family and attending events related to the monarch who happens to be your son's or daughter's father or mother-in-law. King Carl XVI Gustaf seems to be the only monarch who tries to include his daughter-in-law's or his sons-in-law's families in his official birthday celebrations. As I said, I can't recall Queen Beatrix, or Queen Margrethe II, or Queen Elizabeth II doing that. I can't tell about King Juan Carlos or King Harald V for lack of knowledge.

The faterh of pricness markie was also present at the festivites for Queen Margrethes 70th or 75th birthday don't remember whiich one. And the mother of Mette-Marit and her second husband where present when King Harald celebrated his 70th birthday.

Photos from the arrivals to Te Deum updated to Expressen:
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf fyller70 år _ Nyheter _ Expressen

It seems that Estelle will be at Te Deum
https://media.shootitlive.com/WJgw5p4IBFloHwqRMz7xkLgVprg/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2193

SVT Play's "official" birthday broadcast started:
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf 70 år _ SVT Play

Can be seen also at the court website
H.M. Konungen 70 år - Sveriges Kungahus

Photo galleries updated to Expressen and Aftonbladet
https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kungen-70-ar/
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/live/3/

Such a great music at Te Deum, and now the military bands marching, I love that.

Fullsatt i kyrkbänkarna – till sista plats _ Svensk Damtidning

The children of late count Carl Johan Bernadotte: Count Christian Bernadotte and his wife countess Marianne Bernadotte (right), and countess Monica Bonde.
https://media.shootitlive.com/PsRcGDHEEj5nJxCp39mMex6S2FW/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/4674

On the other Hand the closing of the Octave is every year which the 70th birthday of the swedish King is nit. And if is sio important then they should have not scheduled the economic mission of Guillaume and Stephanoe so that they will miss it the second year in a row. (last yerar they where at another official Event ab road).

I'm not sure how other economic missions are planned but this mission begins with a visit to the Canton Fair so Luxembourg's team can't do much about the dates, see Trade mission to China | Luxembourg For Business

Although the fair opened in mid-April, it appears the government decided Phase 3 (running May 1-5) was the best start for the trip.

H.K.H. Kronprinsessan Victorias tal vid mottagningen på Nordiska museet, fredagen den 29 april 2016 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Victorias fina hyllning till sin pappa kungen _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Thank you! Lovely speech.

TV2 study just mentioned that from Denmark only Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte participating in 'Te Duem' this morning.

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary has had some very busy days the last days - they landed yesterday in DK after official trips abroad and had also events all day in Denmark too - they will encounter later in the day.

Last edited:
Oh there is the DM again with the open sewers...

Who is seating between Queen Margrethe and Prince Albert?

That would be the Icelandic President Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson.

Last edited:
I have to say that I'm a bit surprised to see Sofia there (Yes, I know she was on the guest list, but still...) and even more surprised that she looks so good. It's hard to believe that she gave birth just 11 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom