The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2016, 09:28 AM
Courtier

The Danes have anchored!! Svenskdam has pictures of the Royal yacht Danneborg anchored outside the national museum
Dannebrogen har lagt till! | Svensk Damtidning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
It's really frustrating that no official guestlist has been released by the Swedish court yet. It's Thursday now, I wonder if one will be released at all at this rate.
The court had already said that guest lists will be published before the specific events, so I suppose they'll be publishing them before tomorrow's concert, the lunch at city hall and the banquet in the throne room on Saturday. In the meantime many royal houses added their attendance to their own online calendars :)

Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It's really frustrating that no official guestlist has been released by the Swedish court yet. It's Thursday now, I wonder if one will be released at all at this rate.
Margareta Thorgren said earlier, that they have planned to publish the guest list of the royals on Saturday, the King's birthday.

Mottagning för Kungen - Sveriges Kungahus

Old 04-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Princess Beatrix's attendance was expected, but I am disappointed that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima will not be attending.

It appears that King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia won't be at the gala either, as Spain will be represented by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

I guess the British not sending anyone?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Porobably if the Brits send someone it will be Edward and Sophie. As for Luxembourg the Grand Ducal Couple is listed to attend the Mass for the Octave in the morning of the 01. so if they will be in Sweden they will probably leave before the Banquet. And Guillaume and Stephanie have an econimic Mission in China starting on Monday so it is assumed they will be leave for China on sunday.
It will be interesting to see if Fürst Hans Adam of Liechtenstein attends again. He attended 10 years ago and also the 40th birthday 30years ago toigether with his wife. Also Prince Albert of Monaco attended 10 years ago so.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Princess Beatrix's attendance was expected, but I am disappointed that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima will not be attending.

It appears that King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia won't be at the gala either, as Spain will be represented by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.
King Carl Gustaf of course is of the generation of King Juan Carlos and Princess Beatrix.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

How odd that the Dutch king and queen are not coming. There is nothing on their agendas for the weekend and they rarely missed out on such events before. I suppose they must be on vacation with their daughters since it is a school holiday next week.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
The Danes have anchored!! Svenskdam has pictures of the Royal yacht Danneborg anchored outside the national museum
Dannebrogen har lagt till! | Svensk Damtidning
i guess the DRF sent the Danneborg beforehand.
Mary is currently completing a 2 day visit in Burkina Faso, Africa, plus she has an event the 29th in DK. Frederik was visiting Danish troops in Iraq, plus he has two events on the 29th in DK.
They are scheduled to attend the 30th
H.M. Dronningen, Kronprinsparret samt H.K.H. Prinsesse Benedikte deltager i fejringen af H.M. Kong Carl XVI Gustaf af Sveriges 70-års fødselsdag | Kongehuset - Forside
Old 04-28-2016, 01:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
King Carl Gustaf of course is of the generation of King Juan Carlos and Princess Beatrix.
And so is Queen Margrethe II. Nevertheless, both King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe VI attended Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday gala.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
And so is Queen Margrethe II. Nevertheless, both King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe VI attended Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday gala.
i think it's natural that WA and felipe are turning down these invitations now that they are heads of state and sending the retired monarchs. i had some hope maxima and WA would attend, seeing that maxima attended the recent wedding in sweden between CP and sofia, but it is a good choice that beatrix attends as it is her generation. felipe and letizia, on the other hand, given the economic and political situation of spain, are better off at home and wise to send JC and sofia.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

The positions of Felipe, Willem-Alexander and Philippe have changed, as well the positions of Juan Carlos, Beatrix and Albert. The last three are free and have no full agendas. That Queen Margrethe comes is not so strange, given the strong bond between the Scandinavian monarchies. Margrethe's own mother was a Princess of Sweden.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I guess I'm thinking about this in more commoner terms, I see nothing wrong with Felipe, W-A and Phillipe not attending and sending Juan Carlos, Beatrix and Albert. The King is turning 70 and this party is for him, he has more in common with the older royals, whether they are not on the throne or not, that he does the younger generation.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In WA's case, he is Marge's godson, so it was to be expected he would attend her birthday and not send his mother. He was seated at her table because of it. The political situation in Spain has changed, perhaps why Felipe wont come this time. Or it could even be as simple as the birthday guest of honor, and knowing who they would prefer. Maybe Felipe believes CG would appreciate seeing his contemporaries more, and chose to send his parents instead.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I guess I'm thinking about this in more commoner terms, I see nothing wrong with Felipe, W-A and Phillipe not attending and sending Juan Carlos, Beatrix and Albert. The King is turning 70 and this party is for him, he has more in common with the older royals, whether they are not on the throne or not, that he does the younger generation.
Phillipe and Mathilde are attending. I don't think Albert and Paola will be present.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
In WA's case, he is Marge's godson, so it was to be expected he would attend her birthday and not send his mother. He was seated at her table because of it. The political situation in Spain has changed, perhaps why Felipe wont come this time. Or it could even be as simple as the birthday guest of honor, and knowing who they would prefer. Maybe Felipe believes CG would appreciate seeing his contemporaries more, and chose to send his parents instead.
I mentioned before that Carl Gustaf and Silvia have a good relationship with Sofia and Juan Carlos. Here are some quotes from Bilder ur mitt liv- written by Silvia.
"We [Juan Carlos and Sofia] always have a lot to talk about when we meet because we have so many common interests."
"I really like King Juan Carlos and I admire him for the strength and diplomacy with which he brought Spain into the realms of democracy. We usually speak Spanish with each other, which of course it is easier to meet on the same wavelength. We also have the same kind of humor, which is important when socializing."
Old 04-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Majesty Mathilde will attend and we will never see Queen Paola with a tiara anymore.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Majesty Mathilde will attend and we will never see Queen Paola with a tiara anymore.

I wish Mathilde would wear Paola's tiara again (which is actually Queen Elisabeth's tiara), but Paola seems to have given it to Princess Astrid instead.

Going back to my previous point, I am not saying tha JC and Sofia or Beatrix should not attend. I'm just saying it is odd that the current kings of Spain and the Netherlands attended Queen Margrethe's gala and won't be at Carl Gustaf's. I understand W-A has the excuse that he is Margrethe's godson and Felipe can say the political situation in Spain precludes him from traveling (although government formation talks are now on hold until there are fresh elections), but, still, that doesn't seem diplomatic to me.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe Carl Gustaf has hinted he would lóve to see his old pals Juanito and Trix at his birthday. Who knows?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

The interview/documentary of the king made by Claes Elfsberg is right now broadcasted on SVT1.
It has also been put to SVT Play:
Kungen 70 år_ Ensamt majestät _ SVT Play
Old 04-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I wish Mathilde would wear Paola's tiara again (which is actually Queen Elisabeth's tiara), but Paola seems to have given it to Princess Astrid instead.

Going back to my previous point, I am not saying tha JC and Sofia or Beatrix should not attend. I'm just saying it is odd that the current kings of Spain and the Netherlands attended Queen Margrethe's gala and won't be at Carl Gustaf's. I understand W-A has the excuse that he is Margrethe's godson and Felipe can say the political situation in Spain precludes him from traveling (although government formation talks are now on hold until there are fresh elections), but, still, that doesn't seem diplomatic to me.
It seems at the official Dinner for Margfrethe's birthday only the reigning monarch with spouse where invited. Even from Norway and Sweden the Crown Princely Couples did not attend and they usually attend Events like this in Denmark