The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2016, 02:54 AM
Gentry

They were lovely bday celebrations. I only wish that Maxima and W-A, Charlene, Haakon and Mette Marit could also have attended.

As a royal watcher I was very grateful that we got tons of pictures and broadcasts from the celebrations.

One gallery from Estonian press: Elu24 Rootsis: Kuningas Carl XVI Gustafi sünnipäeva tähistamine Stockholmis jätkub täies hiilguses - Elu24 : Galeriid

Old 05-02-2016, 03:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Several monsrchies sent the predecessor of the current monarch, that would've been a bit difficult for the Brits
I don't think there were many heirs at this party, apart from the Scandinavian fanilies, but they are personally close, so you can't compare that imo
Sending the former monarch is about the level of sending the heir. In the case of the Netherlands and Spain, sending the heir is nearly impossible, not as impossible as sending the Queen Mum from the UK but still I don't think they are about to send CA or Leonor to anything until eighteen.

The UK is not alone in not sending the heir to events. Japan sent Princess Takamodo, the widow of the emperor's cousin. Princess Sirindhorn is often sent by Thailand, like Edward, a younger child of the monarch.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to Roger Lundgren, who has written a book about queen Silvia, is the editor-in-chief of Kungliga magasinet and the royal expert of SVT, princess Takamado is queen Silvia's close friend.

Business owners in Sweden had the opportunity to offer their congratulations to The King in connection with his 70th birthday via participating in a fundraising effort for the Royal College of Music in Stockholm. The purpose of raising the funds is that the gift will be made available to the Royal College of Music in Stockholm, for the purpose of financing the equipping of the new teaching and research facilities that are presently under construction.
By Thursday the fundraising had collected over SEK 4,8 million.
Det svenska näringslivets insamling till Kungens 70-årsdag
http://media.kungen70.se/2016/02/Adr...70-%C3%A5r.pdf
Old 05-02-2016, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Queen rarely sends her heirs to these events. She usually send Edward and Sophie. My guess they were too busy to attend. I think Charles and Camilla or the Cambridge's should be attending these events.
She has even send her husband to similar Events like the 50th birthday of Carl Gustaf asnd the 60th birthday of Queen Margrethe. He was apparently also to attne dher 70th birthday but could not because of the vulcano ash at that time. And to Queen Beatric 60th birthday she send Pricne Charles.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
If everyone is ending their heirs, then the British should be doing the same.
Says who? The British can do whatever they want.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
[...]

I heard there were school holiday in NL (?) so W-A, Maxima and the girls may be abroad on holiday ?

[...]
Yes, April 27th is King's Day, May 4th is Remembrance Day and May 5th is Liberation Day but this year it is also Ascension Day. National Holidays. With so many free days, the schools and many Dutch plan their Spring Break in this period.

As the King has public duties on these days, the only possibility to enjoy free time with his daughters is exactly between 27 April and 4 May and the King of Sweden's birthday felt unluckily in the middle of that period.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

I heard on Dutch TV that Willem-Alexander & family have left for a holiday in the US.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
I heard on Dutch TV that Willem-Alexander & family have left for a holiday in the US.
Yes, with a stop-over in Rome (private visit to the Pope) they had to plan the American Spring Break between April 27th (King's Day) and May 4th-5th (National Remembrance and Liberation Day). King Carl Gustaf celebrated his 70th birthday exactly in the middle of this period: April 30th.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Says who? The British can do whatever they want.
I just think people treat the British royals with kid gloves. I happen to think its kinda disrespectful that the British royals don't really bother sending a senior representative to events like this. Now, perhaps the British royals were to busy to attend, but the two senior couples; Charles and Camilla or the Cambridge's should attend these special occasions.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-02-2016, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

His Majesty The King has strong preferences for the music chosen for preformance at the Royal Palace, and likes proposing concerts. For the Ruby Jubilee The King requested the music, and His choice of music from the Jubilee concert is now available on cd, produced to honour His Majesty on his 70th birthday. The cd is available at the Royal Gift Shop from 30 April.
Royal Music*HMK 70 - The King's choice of music now on cd* - Sveriges Kungahus

Sveriges Radio broadcasted on 30th April program "Grattis Kungen 70!", it had clips of the king's life and interviews, among others princess Christina and opera singer Kjerstin Dellert were interviewed.
Most of the music played at the program was chosen by King Carl Gustaf himself.
Here is the music he chose:
1. From the Pastoral suite of Lars-Erik Larsson "En liten marsch för orkester" Stig Westerberg and the Stockholm Symphony Orchestra.
King's comment: It symbolizes our seasons, our Swedish landscape and nature.
2. Pink Floyd "Another Brick in the Wall"
King's comment: A song that has both good lyrics and music. The song's message is to find one's own way, to find the inner compass regardless of school or training. Pink Floyd is a King's Favorite, and in addition one of the Polar Music Prize winners.
3. Sammy Davis JR: "Mr. Bojangles"
King's comment: The text is about a kind of philosophy of life. Like Mr. Bojangles one may need to take a step extra sometimes. It's about hope, to look life from the bright side - and to move forward!
4. Rene Fleming: "Hallelujah"
King's comment: He likes that this 80's hit is interpreted by a classically trained voice - here a soprano interprets Leonard Cohen.
5. Lill Lindfors: "Så skimrande var aldrig havet" The king loves Evert Taube.
King's comment: One of our greatest musicians and poets. Here is a classic that became a big hit in the 60's.
Hela programmet om kung Carl XVl Gustaf 70 år - P4 Extra _ Sveriges Radio
Translation
Old 05-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Who paid these several days Celebrations ?
Who paid the 5 different dresses of the Royal Ladies ?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Who paid these several days Celebrations ?
Who paid the 5 different dresses of the Royal Ladies ?
I have posted the article in Aftonbladet about the costs of the birthday celebration earlier in this thread:
King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th Birthday Celebrations: April 25-30, 2016

The court hasn't told exactly who pays what.
The events:
On Monday The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, the Royal Society of Naval Sciences, the Royal Dramatic Theatre, the Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences and the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture & Forestry organized the seminar for the king's honour.
On Tuesday the Armed Forces congratulated the king with the Armed Forces Music Corps' birthday concert in the Royal Chapel.
Thursday's and Friday's receptions at the Palace were official events and organized by the court.
On Friday afternoon the Royal Artistic Academies congratulated the king by organizing an event where they presented a new Bernadotte Program.
Friday evening's concert and reception at Nordiska Museet was an official event and organized by the court.
Saturday's events were organized by the court, and according to the court treasurer Jan Lindman, the evening's banquet was private, I think that it means that the king paid the costs of the banquet himself. The choral tribute was a present from the City of Stockholm and they paid it.
As for the clothes, queen Silvia recycled some old outfits at the events.
Victoria needed four outfits, Madeleine three (one was recycled) and Sofia one.

Ebbas blogg _ Ebba Kleberg von Sydow » Fem fullträffar från festen
Ebbas blogg _ Ebba Kleberg von Sydow » Dagens bästa klädda (och kronprinsessan gör det IGEN!)
Hattifnatt hos sessorna i helgen _ Hovbloggen
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Majesty

When one is a little person it sometimes happens that you are overlooked as is evident in this sweet little video with Estelle: Hov! Han glemte den lille prinsesse – Ekstra Bladet
Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
When one is a little person it sometimes happens that you are overlooked as is evident in this sweet little video with Estelle: Hov! Han glemte den lille prinsesse – Ekstra Bladet
that little girl is so adorable - and of course she is a natural at this 'royal' thing! :) i think she will be a great crown princess, she surely likes people!

i did notice in the video however that madeleine shook hands first, and then chris did so; victoria also took the lead prior to daniel (with estelle being cute and given priority by her mum in shaking hands). sofia, on the other hand, offered her hand before CP could do so.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Sweden's Princess Mary goes without tiara for King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th birthday | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Aristocracy

No more Mathilde's fotos? Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I just think people treat the British royals with kid gloves. I happen to think its kinda disrespectful that the British royals don't really bother sending a senior representative to events like this. Now, perhaps the British royals were to busy to attend, but the two senior couples; Charles and Camilla or the Cambridge's should attend these special occasions.
Since this is a semi state occasion...who even knows if the BRF was even invited? And why send the Cambridges? Have they even met the King? I Know they have met Victoria and Daniel (who attended their wedding) but do they know anyone else in the BRF? Again, if anyone should have gone it should have been the Wessexes. But maybe they had something to do?

But only if they were invited.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Majesty

I cannot imagine the SRF did not extend at least a general invitation to the BRF. After all practically all other European royals were represented.

Why no representatives for the BRF attended is another matter and personally I won't bother getting into yet another such discussion.
Suffice to say that IMO it's the BRF's loss when they, for whatever reason, don't mingle with the Continental royals.
I've stated many times before why I believe royals should mingle and connect (networking if you will) whenever possible.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

thank you everyone for the links and information.
they were lovely celebrations. I too enjoy seeing the relationships between the royal families. There is a lovely picture of Queen Margrethe and Princess Beatrix greeting each other with a lovely kiss.
and of course the picture of Frederik with Victoria and baby Oscar (having their photo taken by Mary) and Mary with Estelle. very cute all around