King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th Birthday Celebrations: April 25-30, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i hope that means this time felipe and letizia will attend, although i think it's highly unlikely and most likely that they send sofia.
Well, they did attend Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday. So there is hope.

Now I'm just really waiting for the Royal Court to release a jubilee monogram/logo and special website for the event. I thought that would come at the same time as the press release on the program.

Well, they did attend Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday. So there is hope.
But there wasn't the political instability in Spain then as there is now! King Felipe and Queen Letizia have not travelled away from Spain since the political crisis/negotiations started - as a matter of fact, their foreign trips have been cancelled.:sad:

If there is still a political crisis in Spain on April 30, i don't think it is a good idea that Felipe and Letizia attends when they have recently cancelled a
State visit to UK.

Queen Sofia may attend or Spain may be represented by their ambassador.

Information on the congratulation receptions at the Royal Castle on the occasion of H.M. King's 70th birthday

Notification by letter
For the authorities, associations or organizations that wish to congratulate to the king, the scheduled times are:
Thursday 28 April
Friday 29 April
Notification for interest to congratulate the king is made by letter to the Royal Court. The letter shall indicate the name of the authority, organization or equivalent, the name/the names of the persons who intend to attend (max 4 people), as well as contact information.
Response will be sent to all those who have expressed an interest latest on 11th April.
For those who wish to congratulate the king is recommended to consider the Foundation Young Leadership that is close to the king's heart.

Any other gifts to the king can be left at the Post & Logistik, Royal Palace for forwarding to the king. Gifts to be submitted to the Royal Palace shall be labelled with the names of the donor and address.
Information om uppvaktningar på Kungliga slottet med anledning av H.M. Konungens 70-årsdag - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Svensk Damtidning tells that the invitations are out to the king's birthday celebrations, they have a photo of the invitations.
Inbjudan är ute – så blir kungens stora fest _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson has photos of the invitations at her blog too. From the photo we can see that the dress code on Friday 29th at the concert and reception after that at Nordiska Museet is "mörk kostym" = dark suit. Dress code at Te Deum on Saturday 30th May is dark suit. And the dress code to the banquet and dance on Saturday 30th May at 19.30 at the Royal Palace is "smoking" = black tie.
Kungens festinbjudan är här _ Hovbloggen

Last edited:
The king's birthday celebration at the Royal Palace
Saturday, April 30th the King's birthday is celebrated in the traditional way on the Outer Courtyard, the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

Kl. 10:25 The Band of the Royal Swedish Navy marches in and performs figurative music
Kl. 10:55 The King comes out of the West Gate and go forward and receives The Royal Guards. The Royal Swedish Army Band plays parade march and the King goes into Royal Guards wing to the commandant's reception at the Commandant's Headquarters.
Kl. 11:00 The Royal Swedish Army Band performs a music program
Kl. 11.27 The King comes out in the outer courtyard
Kl. 11:30 The Royal Guards are marching in with the Life Guards Band in the lead
The Royal Guards Ceremony
Children will have the opportunity to hand over flowers to the King
Kl. 11:59 The king goes to the West Gate
Kl. 12:00 A salute with 21 shots are fired from Skeppsholmen
Kl. 12:15 The King comes out to the Lejonbacken terrace
The public has it's place on Norrbro
Choral singing
Kl. 13:00 A cortege from Mynttorget via Vasabron and Tegelbacken to the City Hall for lunch
The Scouts parade along Lejonbacken and on Stadshusbron.
The Armed Forces parade along the procession route and with the bands at Mynttorget, Centralpalatset and the City Hall.
Kungens födelsedagsfirande*på Kungliga slottet - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

If there is still a political crisis in Spain on April 30, i don't think it is a good idea that Felipe and Letizia attends when they have recently cancelled a
State visit to UK.

Queen Sofia may attend or Spain may be represented by their ambassador.

A state visit is a political event, CG's birthday is a private event, would not even be listed on the official agenda. If they don't attend, I doubt its due to the political limbo.

i get the impression it will be sofia representing the SRF at the event.

Dramaten, the Royal Dramatic Theatre, tells about the event on Monday 25th April:
An Evening on The Baltic Sea - Hope and Threats
The king's birthday is noted with a unique evening on the main stage of the Royal Dramatic Theater on Monday 25 April.
An evening on the Baltic Sea - hope and threats tells of our inland sea from a number of different perspectives. Geology and migrations, ecosystems and environmental impact, trade and outdoor activities, security policy and the future.
Among the participants are Carl Bildt, former foreign minister, Sverker Göranson, former Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, Johan Rockström, professor of Environmental Science, Gunilla Herolf, researcher in the security policy and The Band of the Swedish Royal Navy under the leadership of Andreas Hanson.
The organizers of the event are The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, The Royal Society of Naval Sciences, The Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences, The Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry and the Royal Dramatic Theatre.
En afton om Östersjön – hoppfullhet och hot - Dramaten

The choral singing greeting on 30th April is a gift from the City of Stockholm.
- Our goal is a choir of one thousand people under the guidance of artist Caroline af Ugglas, it will be at least five hundred singers at the choir. Then we have the The Royal Swedish Army Band which begins the greeting, says Stockholm's Events Manager Roger Ticoalu.
The choirmaster is looking forward to the assignment. "I feel royal, and it will be great fun! One must celebrate birthdays in the best possible way. I think it will be so fun that the king will see my wonderful Choir for everyone", writes Caroline af Ugglas in a text message.
- The Choir and the Swedish people will be on Norrbro and the birthday child with guests will be on Lejonbacken's terrace, says Ticoalu.
But the greeting is not free.
- The gift costs about 140 000 to 150 000 SEK, which includes everything from the sound system to the orchestra, Ticoalu says.
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf fyller 70 år – här är Stockholms stads present till kungen _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

SVT sends a new documentary about king Carl Gustaf on 28th April, done by Claes Elfsberg.

Claes Elfsberg was the reporter who interviewed king Carl Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath on their engagement day in March 1976. And now he has interviewed the king again. Elfsberg sent an inquiry about a documentary due to the king's 70th birthday to the court over a year ago. Finally the court said yes. Elfsberg tells that the program is now ready and he hasn't shown it to his bosses yet.
He hade three long interviews with the king and followed him behind the scenes during a working day.
Only a few people have known about TV project, and SVT has gone with it under a different project name - so that it would not leak out in advance. Elfsberg accompanied the king also on his travels, including on his private fishing trip.
The documentary is mostly of the king's work, not so much about privacy, explains Elfsberg who believes that what he has done is "quite unique".
- It is rare that a monarch allows a journalist to get as close as I have done. Every time we met, it became easier and easier for both of us to talk. He opened up quite a lot, and talked about the things he had not spoken about earlier. He told on how it is to be reviewed and subjected to cruelty, and how this can be felt, says Elfsberg.
The basic idea was to talk with the king about the monarch's role in Swedish society, on the developments that have taken place and how it is to be in public all the time.
- And the King is a typical 40's baby, he has no plans to stop working, says Elfsberg.
Kungens okända möten med SVT-stjärnan Claes Elfsberg _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lady Finn - "He told on how it is to be reviewed and subjected to cruelty, and how this can be felt". Is CG going to talk about his cheating scandal in this documentary?

@Lady Finn - "He told on how it is to be reviewed and subjected to cruelty, and how this can be felt". Is CG going to talk about his cheating scandal in this documentary?

Doesn't say anything about that but it does say it's more about his work than about his personal life.

I read the comment is that he is addressing being scrutinized and having negative things said about him. The negative characterization that I see most about Carl Gustaf is that he is not all that smart and after that that he does not have a charismatic personality so maybe that is the "cruelty" he is addressing.

SVT sends a new documentary about king Carl Gustaf on 28th April, done by Claes Elfsberg.

Claes Elfsberg was the reporter who interviewed king Carl Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath on their engagement day in March 1976. And now he has interviewed the king again. Elfsberg sent an inquiry about a documentary due to the king's 70th birthday to the court over a year ago. Finally the court said yes. Elfsberg tells that the program is now ready and he hasn't shown it to his bosses yet.
He hade three long interviews with the king and followed him behind the scenes during a working day.
Only a few people have known about TV project, and SVT has gone with it under a different project name - so that it would not leak out in advance. Elfsberg accompanied the king also on his travels, including on his private fishing trip.
The documentary is mostly of the king's work, not so much about privacy, explains Elfsberg who believes that what he has done is "quite unique".
- It is rare that a monarch allows a journalist to get as close as I have done. Every time we met, it became easier and easier for both of us to talk. He opened up quite a lot, and talked about the things he had not spoken about earlier. He told on how it is to be reviewed and subjected to cruelty, and how this can be felt, says Elfsberg.
The basic idea was to talk with the king about the monarch's role in Swedish society, on the developments that have taken place and how it is to be in public all the time.
- And the King is a typical 40's baby, he has no plans to stop working, says Elfsberg.
Kungens okända möten med SVT-stjärnan Claes Elfsberg _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation
How very interesting! I look forward to it :)

Svensk Damtidning has an article about the celebrations, where they claim that there is panic in the society (once again): who are invited and who are not invited?
That you are invited to some event at the birthday week doesn't mean that you are invited to celebrate the king in his birthday on 30th April. There is royalty coming all over Europe, this is a party no one wants to miss!
To the concert on 29th April at the Nordiska Museet are invited representatives of the official Sweden, but they are not invited on 30th April to the Palace. To the celebration at the Royal Palace are invited only the Bernadotte relatives and close friends. The king's sisters, for instance Bertil and Jill Bernadotte, Christian and Marianne Bernadotte from Cleveland, and many members from the Sommerlath family are invited. And from the king's friends Per and Åsa Taube, Jacob Wallenberg and Annika Levin, Agneta Kreuger and Lars Abrahamsson, all of them were invited to the king's 60th birthday.
The former staff of the court, such as Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, are invited only to Nordiska Museet. Etiquette expert Mats Danielsson is convinced that Olle and Ewa Westling, Eva O'Neill and Marie and Erik Hellqvist are also invited. If the king hasn't invited them, he has limited the party to a very small family event with only the closest, says Danielsson.

Imo the article is speculative and written in a hurry like many articles in Svensk Damtidning.

SVT will broadcast the King's 70th birthday
- When the Swedish king turns 70, it is clear that SVT broadcasts the ceremonies. The audience expects that of us, says communications director Sabina Rasiwala.
SVT broadcasts a four-hour live broadcast in the morning of April 30, television viewers will be able to follow the celebration inside the Outer Courtyard, see choirs greetings from Lejonbacken and follow the procession to the City Hall.

TV broadcasting, April 30:
SVT1 9:45 to 13:45: King Carl XVI Gustaf 70 years
Live broadcast from the Royal Palace and the celebration of King Carl XVI Gustaf. Te Deum at the Royal Chapel, celebration at the outer courtyard, choral singing from Lejonbacken and procession to City Hall.
Hosts: Claes Elfsberg and Pernilla Månsson Colt.

SVT1 13:45 to 14:45: "Kungen 70 år – ensamt majestät"
The king tells before the 70th anniversary of how he tried to modernize the monarchy. He talks about the challenges and joys, environmental commitment and grandchildren. Interviewer: Claes Elfsberg. (Replay from 28/4)

SVT1 20:00 to 21:30: King Carl XVI Gustaf 70 years
Summary of the day's celebration at the Royal Palace. The Government and Parliament deliver presents, guests arrive at the evening banquet. Yesterday's gala performance from the Nordiska Museet.
SVT direktsänder kungens 70-årsdag - Vipåtv
Translation

Hela Sverige får vara med när kungen fyller 70 år _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I read the comment is that he is addressing being scrutinized and having negative things said about him. The negative characterization that I see most about Carl Gustaf is that he is not all that smart and after that that he does not have a charismatic personality so maybe that is the "cruelty" he is addressing.

The cruelty is the lifelong exposition to the public, from the very first moment he was born. The ever-increasing intrusion via social media, the continue and often unfair comments coming and going like tsunamis on twitter, whatsapp and the likes. The ever apparent wall of stretched arms holding a phone aimed at them. Every stretched arm possibly could something hold else than a phone... The completely false and made-up stories about the royal family and the Herculean task to fight those as the public will always think: "Hmmm... where is smoke, there is fire...".

The cruelty is the lifelong exposition to the public, from the very first moment he was born. The ever-increasing intrusion via social media, the continue and often unfair comments coming and going like tsunamis on twitter, whatsapp and the likes. The ever apparent wall of stretched arms holding a phone aimed at them. Every stretched arm possibly could something hold else than a phone... The completely false and made-up stories about the royal family and the Herculean task to fight those as the public will always think: "Hmmm... where is smoke, there is fire...".
Lifelong exposure to the public is part of being born royal especially if you are the monarch or an heir. Social media has its downside along with being scrutinized and commented on by nabobs of negativism but royals have to accept that just like they accept rapturous adulation just for showing up somewhere, smiling and unveiling a plaque.

King Carl Gustaf's reign has been marked my major constitutional reforms that fundamentally changed the framework under which the Swedish monarchy used to operate under his predecessors. namely:

1. The adoption of the new Instrument of Government, which stripped the king of formal legislative and executive powers and reduced him to a purely ceremonial and advisory role;
  2. The adoption of the amended Act of Succession, which introduced equal primogeniture and also allowed non-dynastic/unequal marriages of royal princes and princesses, subject only to the consent of the government;
  3. The disestablishment of the Church of Sweden;
  4. The end of the public law status of the Swedish hereditary nobility.

IMHO, Carl Gustaf has done a superb job in "reinventing" the office of King in accordance with the new institutional framework that has emerged under his reign. In doing so, he managed to keep the monarchy a relevant institution in a reformed Swedish state where, otherwise, a republic might have looked like the natural next step.

Last edited:
King Carl Gustaf's reign has been marked my major constitutional reforms that fundamentally changed the framework under which the Swedish monarchy used to operate under his predecessors. namely:

1. The adoption of the new Instrument of Government, which stripped the king of formal legislative and executive powers and reduced him to a purely ceremonial and advisory role;
  2. The adoption of the amended Act of Succession, which introduced equal primogeniture and also allowed non-dynastic/unequal marriages of royal princes and princesses, subject only to the consent of the government;
  3. The disestablishment of the Church of Sweden;
  4. The end of the public law status of the Swedish hereditary nobility.

IMHO, Carl Gustaf has done a superb job in "reinventing" the office of King in accordance with the new institutional framework that has emerged under his reign. In doing so, he managed to keep the monarchy a relevant institution in a reformed Swedish state where, otherwise, a republic might have looked like the natural next step.

Has he? I think he has been and is a walking disaster as monarch. And after seeing him in so many scandals, interviews and the way he speaks to people, then he strikes me as a pretty cold person.

This is not a criticism of the Swedish royal family. I think Victoria/Daniel are great, both as persons and in their roles. Silvia has been a great champion of children's rights, and I really liked Lilian.

Only the king and queen go at the cortege from the Royal Palace to the lunch to the City Hall, this has been updated to the special birthday pages at the court website. And the guest list is planned to be released on the king's birthday, tells Margareta Thorgren.

Expressen has got the military documents which reveal a series of details on the celebration of the king's birthday. 21 shots to be shot from Skeppsholmen and 43 Swedish flags shall be hoisted at the wharf to mark the birthday and the evening ends with a gala dinner at the Royal Palace.
Richard Beck-Friis, the Commandant of the Royal Palace, has filed a preliminary order to the Armed Forces regarding the King's 70th birthday. Already at the beginning of the military documents Expressen has noted that it is clear that this is a celebration much larger than previous birthdays of the king:
"HM the King turns 70 on 2016-04-30, so the celebration will be more extensive than in previous years and includes Te Deum in the Royal Chapel and the procession from the Royal Palace to the City Hall. 43 pieces of Swedish flags will, to honor the day, to 8:00 hoisted at the wharf.

The royal family's own planning reveals that the entire royal family, the king, the queen, the crown princess, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia, Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill will eat lunch at the City Hall. The documents show that there is only "HM the King" going at the cortege from the Palace.
Margareta Thorgren confirms that even Queen Silvia will be at the cortege:
- Yes, there are the King and Queen Silvia.
The other family members?
- They don't go at the cortege, but get to the City Hall with other transportation, says Thorgren.
The cortege route the king and queen will be traveling, is according to documents from Mynttorget on to Vasabron and further over Tegelbacken down to the City Hall. The Military Bands are performing in some places.
Which royal guests come to the King's 70th birthday is not yet official. But a personal invitation has been sent to all the major European royal houses to come and celebrate Carl XVI Gustaf on his 70th birthday on 30 April.
- We will not go out in advance with some guests, says Thorgren.
When the royal guests will be known?
- We have planned to release the guest list on the King's birthday.
The court has decided not to communicate about if the younger members such as Princess Estelle and Princess Leonore will be present at the celebration.
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf fyller 70 år – så går firandet till _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
The King and Queen will take part in the 70th anniversary of King Carl Gustaf - Norway Today

its now on the Norwegian royal calendar.
Haakon and Mette-Marit will go with King Harald and Queen Sonja
" 4/30/2016 Anniversary
Their Majesties The King and Queen and Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess will be present at the commemoration of H. M. King Carl Gustafs 70th anniversary in Stockholm."

And Martha-Louise with Ari Behn

kongehuset.no - Offisielt program

Confirm the official agenda the Kings of Belgium attend

https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/70ste-verjaardag-van-zijne-majesteit-koning-carl-gustaf

Which royal guests come to the King's 70th birthday is not yet official. But a personal invitation has been sent to all the major European royal houses to come and celebrate Carl XVI Gustaf on his 70th birthday on 30 April.
- We will not go out in advance with some guests, says Thorgren.
When the royal guests will be known?
- We have planned to release the guest list on the King's birthday.
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf fyller 70 år – så går firandet till _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

That's pretty late. Is that what they usually do or maybe this time is because of security reasons?

That's pretty late. Is that what they usually do or maybe this time is because of security reasons?

The swedish royal court normally publishes the guest lists late: to the wedding of Victoria and Daniel two days before the wedding, the weddings of Madeleine and Chris, Carl Philip and Sofia a day before the wedding. The guest lists to the christening of Estelle were published a day before, to the christenings of Leonore and Nicolas on the christening day.
I think the publishing of the guest lists depends also a little of how much the press is speculating. It was known that the guest list to Victoria's and Daniel's wedding would be full with royals from all over the world, the press speculated and the court published the guest list already two days before the wedding.

BilledBladet tells, that according to the communications department of the danish royal court Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Princess Benedikte attend at king Carl Gustaf's 70th birthday party.
Kronprinsesse Mary og kronprins Frederik fejrer den svenske konge _ BILLED-BLADET

The cover of Minnenas Journal (Journal of Memories), which has photos of the King's 70 years
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a9bf7d501e46bd24b54eab71f54f7ecd&oe=57725815

BilledBladet tells, that according to the communications department of the danish royal court Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Princess Benedikte attend at king Carl Gustaf's 70th birthday party.
Kronprinsesse Mary og kronprins Frederik fejrer den svenske konge _ BILLED-BLADET

The cover of Minnenas Journal (Journal of Memories), which has 70 photos of the King's life
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a9bf7d501e46bd24b54eab71f54f7ecd&oe=57725815

How nice. a great royal turnout :flowers:

King Carl Gustaf has given an interview to Lena Mellin (deputy editor and political commentator) from Aftonbladet.
The king sits at the same couch than he and Silvia Sommerlath on their engagement interview.
Dog Brandie is with the King, who does not think that the couch is comfortable.
– One looks also like a frog while sitting in it.
Parts of the interview:
It's a real celebration spring for the Royal family. 70 anniversary celebrations, at least one christening and the ruby wedding. Which party will be the most fun?
-All events are nice. Births and baptisms are a bit more familiar. For my part, I think that it is always fun to do something for other people. Birthday is a good time to give thanks for what we have experienced for many, many years. You can invite friends, acquaintances, family, Government and, of course, many in the civil service, the official Sweden.
How does it feel to be 70?
– 50 years ago I thought I would not feel so positive and feel as good as I do. One did not know if one would be able to move at all. I am just as curious about life now as then, and look to the future with great confidence. There is a lot left.
What is the most important thing the King does, according to the King's own opinion?
– To be a unifying symbol for the country. It has been in all times. I want to be an apolitical and unbiased person standing in the middle of the village. The Palace is really in the middle of town.
What does the King think of the monarchy's role in modern Sweden?
– A monarchy, and the good relations in a modern democracy, tuning between between them is something special. It is, in modern terms, a trademark of what Sweden wants and stands for. As I see it, the monarchy is a structure, a foundation which also includes culture, history and tradition. A history-less society is very, very fragile.
The King will apparently be Sweden's longest reigning ruler. The current title holder is Magnus Eriksson who ruled Sweden for almost 45 years in the 1300 's. Already this year beats King runner up, great-grandfather Gustaf V. How does it feel?
– We do not know if this will be the case. It is not a matter which I have reflected. I happened to be very young when I took over as King after my grandfather.
– But I have thought about it in a different way. A child knows about at the age of 10 who the King is, that's when they start saying "Hello, King". All over, up to 45 years, has never experienced an other King than me. It makes me proud and a little worried in any way. It is a responsibility.
The King now has four grandchildren and two of them live in Stockholm. How often are the King and Queen are as babysitters?
– I'll be honest, it is not very often. We're fairly busy. I read a recent interview with Princess Madeleine, where she expressed that she as a child missed their parents because we were away so much. It was a real nuisance every time we were going away, it was really difficult for both of us and her. She expressed in this interview and I was really moved. I may not have really understood that it was so. It was maybe a bit tough, we were forced to go away.
What does the King do with his grandchildren?
– They are so small so I'll probably dont't do much yet. Estelle begins, of course, grow to like that maybe you will soon be able to find something.
– Sofia (Prince Carl Philip's wife) was at lunch today, and they will try to do as much as possible themselves. But they also need to get some support and help at some point, a little respiratory pause. All parents need that.
”Alltid roligt att göra något för andra människor” _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet
Translation

Last edited:
I hope they will will do a group picture as at the thime of Gustav V

Has he? I think he has been and is a walking disaster as monarch. And after seeing him in so many scandals, interviews and the way he speaks to people, then he strikes me as a pretty cold person.

This is not a criticism of the Swedish royal family. I think Victoria/Daniel are great, both as persons and in their roles. Silvia has been a great champion of children's rights, and I really liked Lilian.

I don't think he is a walking disaster but you are right that he has never had the same charisma and easy-going personality as his wife and his eldest daughter. But i try to understand him. His life hasn't been easy since day 1, he lost his father not even 1 year old and practically his mother at the same time. Both Birgitta and Carl Gustaf has talked about how Sibylla was a very bad mother who never cared much for her children, not even her Grandchildren. He had basically no support except a nanny and his sisters and was not well prepaired when he had to succeed his grandfather at the age of 27. I think that has affected him a lot.

Though he could still have studied public affairs and media relations as a King. That would probably have helped him in a lot of interviews and press conferences that he didn't handle very well.

The King, Carl Philip and Madeleine have always been more reserved and kind of shy people while The Queen, Victoria, Daniel and Christina (and Bertil and Lilian when they were alive) have been very charismatic, down to earth and close to the people.

Back
Top Bottom