King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th Birthday Celebrations: April 25-30, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked Marys hair ornament. Very modern style so i understand if some people don't like it but i think it suited her well.

Would love to see our swedish ladies experimenting like this too.

I liked Marys hair ornament. Very modern style so i understand if some people don't like it but i think it suited her well.

Would love to see our swedish ladies experimenting like this too.

In my opinion the swedish royal ladies, especially queen Silvia and crown princess Victoria have been experimenting with brooches and diamond rivieres on their hair much more than many other royal ladies. Mostly they have used the old family jewels.

Galleries
Te Deum
IBL Bildbyrå
The Ceremony at Outer Courtyard
IBL Bildbyrå
The Choral Tribute
IBL Bildbyrå
The Lunch at the City Hall
IBL Bildbyrå

The King's 70th birthday commemorative medal "Konung Carl XVI Gustafs jubileumsminnestecken med anledning av 70-årsdagen", which many of the guests wore this evening.
Medalj.nu -Konung Carl XVI Gustafs jubileumsminnestecken med anledning av 70-årsdagen CXVIG_sJmtIII

Daniel and Estelle
https://imageupper.com/i/?S0300010080013T14620476902219893

Videos
Victoria's speech on Friday evening:
Se kronprinsessan Victorias känslosamma tal till pappa kungen _ SVT.se

Victoria and Oscar
Prins Oscars första officiella framträdande – firar med morfar kungen _ SVT Play

From Lejonbacken
Här firar Estelle och Oscar morfar kungen _ SVT Play

Te Deum
Kungens 70 års firande_ Te Deum

"Princess Estelle stole the Show"
Prinsessan Estelle stjäl showen!

EDIT
Group photo from the banquet from court's press website
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...2016+foto+Peter+Knutson+Kungahuset.se.JPG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched most of it on Swedish television, and I enjoyed the coverage.

I also switched to Norwegian and Danish channels and they where much more critical. Norwegian television/media talks about the unpopular scandal King and empty streets in the good weather during the cortege. They don't understand that we live 2016, and that it's no longer common with large crowds during royal ceremonies.

I also switched to Norwegian and Danish channels and they where much more critical. Norwegian television/media talks about the unpopular scandal King and empty streets in the good weather during the cortege. They don't understand that we live 2016, and that it's no longer common with large crowds during royal ceremonies.

I guess the Norwegian TV does have a point though. Many people feel those kinds of lavish royal ceremonies are no longer appropriate in this day and age.

That was a rude description from them. The King is not that unpopular. I thought it was quite a lot of people outside. Some so called "court experts" om tv and in newspapers need to realise that we live in 2016 and not in 1946. These days many people follow the celebrations through media instead of standing on the streets and waving with flags.

Some media people needs a huge reality check.

Estelle is so sassy! I'd love to meet her. She looked very pretty today and she always looks like she's enjoying every minute. Loved the moment where Mary asked Daniel to take a photo of her and Estelle.

Victoria and Madeleine both looked beautiful today and Sofia looks lovely. Considering she had a baby recently she looked lovely.

That's not one of the mystical magical golden poppies is it?:ohmy:
I think it is ! I would love to see a better photo , te same I would love to see a good photo of the medal everybody has

Countess Madeleine Bernadotte with a tiara ?
The von Rosen tiara ??

I think it is ! I would love to see a better photo , te same I would love to see a good photo of the medal everybody has

The Court has posted a picture here. The medal consists of the King's monogram in gold.

Thank you to those who shared the photos and videos of today's celebrations. It's so nice that little Oscar made an apperaence earlier on in the day, I wasn't expecting that so it was an adorable surprise. I wonder why Nicholas and or Leonore weren't there, I was also surprised to see that they were absent since both Madeleine and Chris were present. It's also great to see lots of other royals at the gala tonight. I'm a little disappointed that a British represenatitive wasn't there, but the BRF don't often show up at European events.

I love the clip of Mary taking a photo with Estelle, and the photo of Chris being affectionate towards Oscar. Those were both so heartwarming, but there were many other lovely moments from today too. Sofia looked great (and very happy as well :)), I agree that it's hard to tell she only recently gave birth. I apologise if this has already been posted about, I've been out all day and haven't been able to follow most of the celebrations, but did Spain send anyone to the gala tonight?

Madeleine was the definite knockout in all. Sylvia needs to stop wearing red.

also Sweden was under high terror alert.

I wish we could have seen Princess Sofia in another tiara occasion this evening, but she made the right call.

Victoria looks incredible- I always like her in Lillian's tiara.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

That was a rude description from them. The King is not that unpopular. I thought it was quite a lot of people outside. Some so called "court experts" om tv and in newspapers need to realise that we live in 2016 and not in 1946. These days many people follow the celebrations through media instead of standing on the streets and waving with flags.

Some media people needs a huge reality check.

I also thought that there was quite a lot of people at the Palace and even at the gates following the king and queen at their procession to the City Hall. Some people surely stayed home because of the news of the Isis-terrorists having come to Sweden. And nowadays it is so easy to follow these kind of events in TV and internet, they are broadcasted so well and you see everything much better than standing at the street.

The king's birthday gala at the Royal Palace lasted into the morning. According to information given to Aftonbladet, it was the king himself who had decided that the party would last until six o'clock on Sunday morning and there is nothing unusual - the king is known to love to party.
Among the special guests invited to the 70th birthday party were royals, representatives of official Sweden as well as private friends.
After dinner in the Hall of State the guests walked into the White Sea, where the party orchestra Cotton Club, the evening's house band began to play. Moreover, the gang from "Mamma Mia! The party" at the Tyrol to the party and offered an Abba show.
Party leader Ebba Busch Thor wrote on Twitter that the king played electric guitar, fantastic party.
After more than two hours Anders Wickman took over the dance floor, the DJ whom the King had hired also when he and Queen Silvia celebrated their silver wedding. But this was no one-man show. Anders Wickman had with him five musicians playing instruments such as congas, bongos, trumpet, maracas and in addition they had two saxophones.
Amidst all the king himself jumped up on stage to jam with the musicians.
- One moment he holds the microphone and sings, and the other moment he had a trumpet in his hand, and then an air guitar, tells a party participant about the king's unexpected show.
King sang in songs like "Upside Down" by Diana Ross and "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire.
DJ Anders Wickman started with the song "The Boss" with Diana Ross and then played most house music and some classic tunes from artists like Michael Jackson, Earth, Wind & Fire and Barry White.
Shortly before the party ended an accident occurred within the castle grounds.
- There is someone who has fallen into a staircase at Slottsbacken. An elderly person has hit his head and bleeds, says Raymond Winberg on emergency services.
It was full speed during the 70-birthday party until the early hours.
- It has been a very pleasant evening. It has been very much fun, but more than that I can not say, says King's childhood friend Noppe Lewenhaupt on the way out from the Palace.
Så var kungens 70-årsfest – ”Kungen jammade på scen” _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Galleries from Zimbio
The Swedish Armed Forces Celebration - King Carl Gustaf of Sweden Celebrates His 70th Birthday
Te Deum Thanksgiving Service Arrivals - King Carl Gustaf of Sweden Celebrates His 70th Birthday

Almost 500 great photos by Robin Utrecht, also about the guests arriving to the banquet
VERJAARDAG VAN KONING carl gustaf 70 jaar DAG 2 - Images _ Robin Utrecht _ Photoshelter

And gallery by Bernard Rübsamen
Birthday King Carl Gustaf, 30-04-2016 - Images _ Bernard Rübsamen

Victoria's speech at the court Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8hRs74DTDw

To be fair to the Danes and Norwegians: also the Dutch program Blauw Bloed came from Stockholm and also the Dutch half-cooked-egg who is the presenter (Jeroen Snel), aided by Catarina Hurtig from Sweden, came no furtherer than the "scandals" around King Carl XVI Gustaf and "how (un)popular is he (or the monarchy)". Catarina Hurtig told that King Carl XVI Gustaf sometimes seems frustrated that media have only attention for the outfits of the Queen and the Princesses, when reporting about the Royal House. Jeroen Snel thanked Catarina and said in the camera "What did you think about the outfit of the ladies, go to the poll on our site!"

:bang:

Last edited:
To be fair to the Danes and Norwegians: also the Dutch program Blauw Bloed came from Stockholm and also the Dutch half-cooked-egg who is the presenter (Jeroen Snel), aided by Catarina Hurtig from Sweden, came no furtherer than the "scandals" around King Carl XVI Gustaf and "how (un)popular is he (or the monarchy)". Catarina Hurtig told that King Carl XVI Gustaf sometimes seems frustrated that media have only attention for the outfits of the Queen and the Princesses, when reporting about the Royal House. Jeroen Snel thanked Catarina and said in the camera "What did you think about the outfit of the ladies, go to the poll on our site!"

:bang:

Catarina Hurtig is one of those royal "experts", who should not be interviewed in anywhere. But we must also remember, that the foreign reporters that interview the swedish experts, are often asking only about love lives, children, clothes, babies... The germans make good documents also about the work of the royals sometimes.

Here is a good gallery of the guests arriving to the banquet, a lot of photos
IBL bildbyrå

From the website of the Royal Family of Romania
Vizita în Suedia a Custodelui Coroanei și Principelui Radu _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

SVT has put now to SVT Play the concert from Friday evening, which was shown on TV yesterday. It was a great concert (luckily swedish TV can be seen here in Finland), the king was shown an old photo of him playing trombone and joked with him a little about that. Rene Mirro sang "Mr Bojangles", which is one of the favorites of the king.
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf 70 år - Kunglig festkonsert från Nordiska museet _ SVT Play

And here is the summary program (57 min) shown also yesterday evening at SVT. There is shown also the reception in Saturday afternoon and the guests arriving to the banquet.
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf 70 år - Kung Carl XVI Gustaf 70 år - Sammandrag _ SVT Play

And here is the whole program from Saturday morning (3h 41 min)
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf 70 år _ SVT Play

All these can be seen until 30th May.

Last edited:
Queen Margarita of Bulgaria didn't wear a tiara last night which was a pity and looked out of place with all the other royal ladies.

She strangely never wears one; she even didn´t at Victoris wedding where everyone was sparkling... :ermm:

In the group photo the parents of Prince Daniel and Princess Sofia are wearing medals but Chris's mother is not wearing a medal. What are these medals?

In the group photo the parents of Prince Daniel and Princess Sofia are wearing medals but Chris's mother is not wearing a medal. What are these medals?

It is King Carl XVI Gustaf's Jubilee Commemorative Medal III on the occasion of the King's 70th birthday.
Jubileums- och minnestecken - Sveriges Kungahus
Medalj.nu -Konung Carl XVI Gustafs jubileumsminnestecken med anledning av 70-årsdagen CXVIG_sJmtIII

Maybe Eva O'Neill had forgot to put it on. The foreign royal guests wore the medals already when they arrived to the banquet.
https://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-...K7xnpqlFD0/birthdaypartyking20160430-2796.jpg
https://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-...K7xnpqlFD0/birthdaypartyking20160430-2802.jpg

Crown princess Margareta was styled at Beba's Hair and Beauty in Stockholm on Friday.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEyoyhEiTIG/?taken-by=royal_roger
And princess Kelly at Helene Hagman on Saturday
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE1MxvayeyN/?taken-by=helenehagmanstockholm

One of the King's best friends, Carl Adam "Noppe" Lewenhaupt with wife Lee, at her beautiful hairdo.
https://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010030011R14621108572214509
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE1Q3QhxNJw/?tagged=kungen70år

Photo from Vicky Andrén Magnuson's Instagram: "Photobombed by brother-in-law Victor. Ready for Te Deum."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE0RRb3Rin9/?taken-by=vickyandren

Speaker of the Riksdag, Urban Ahlin and Prime Minister Stefan Löfven courted April 30 HM the King on the 70th anniversary and handed Swedish people's gifts at a reception at the Palace.

The presents consists of a plate tableware and a glass tableware to be used at the head of state's representation. In the takeover has been carefully placed on the Swedish crafts and a sustainable society. Both tableware reflect the king's interest in the environment and nature.
Serviser i gåva till H.M. Konungen - Regeringen.se
Translation

Photos of the plates and glasses
Inredningshjälpen_ Kung Carl XVI Gustaf’s nya servis

Gallery from Bekia
La celebración del 70 cumpleaños del Rey Carlos XVI Gustavo de Suecia_ Galería en Bekia

Back
Top Bottom