The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

King Carl Gustaf Controversy: 2010-2011

In late 2010, an unofficial biography of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden was published which revealed that the King had had an affair with a Swedish actress during the late 1990s/early 2000s. The book, Carl XVI Gustaf - The Relectant Monarch, also stated that Queen Silvia was aware of her husband's infidelity.

King Carl Gustaf addressed the issue at a press conference at a hunt a short time later, neither confirming nor denying the allegations, but stating "I’ve talked with my family and the Queen. We will turn the page and go on now, because as I understand, this is about things that happened a long time ago."

**Discussions related to the allegations brought up in the biography take place here: "Carl XVI Gustaf - The Reluctant Monarch" by Thomas Sjöberg (2010)

In May 2011, Swedish news outlets reported that photographs of the King at strip clubs were in existance.

This thread is to discuss these reportings.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Friend sought gangster's help to hush up King's affairs: report - The Local
Friends of the King negotiated with gangster - Stockholm News

Old 05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Nobility

Very interesting indeed. It just gets murkier and murkier.

Would love to read the book in English
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Serene Highness

If they have it on tape, it would be useless to deny anything.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am afraid that the newest allegations only have to do indirectly with the book; they are independent from it the result of different journalists' serious research.
This story is far more serious, actually dangerous for the King, as this is not about moral standards and personality flaws anymore, but about his active or silent approval of illegal acts.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Nobility

This is really bad for the king and the monarchy... and today one of the eveningpapers writes about how the king was "sold out" by his friends: The friends wanted to buy the gangster guy´s party pictures of them and the king, but when the friends realised it was just the king on the pictures (and no friends), the friends didnt want to buy the pictures anymore...
Its in many ways a sad story AND (as Boris said abowe) a very very serious story
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Serene Highness

But if that is true, one can assume, that the King didn't ask his friends to buy the pics, but that they acted on their own...
Old 05-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Nobility

Long live our Swedish Royal Court

Right now, there are unfortunately people who, for obscure reasons, want to denigrate our Royal Family.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisma View Post
Right now, there are unfortunately people who, for obscure reasons, want to denigrate our Royal Family.
The Royal Family shouldn't give them any 'material' to do so, though- if the story is to be believed. Although I don't understand why this is all coming out so many years after these events.

Article today:
http://m.thelocal.se/33900/20110521/
Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Nobility

Leave the King in peace

There is somewhat strained over the attempts to make te King, Carl XVI Gustav, the villain, both in the book and it has happened in recent days. So leave the king in peace. Those who want to topple him from the throne will find better arguments than a sleazy gossip book and an idiot friend.

One can not judge someone before you have evidence, nor for that happen to be misguided friends. Red or Blue - King or President: does not matter! In a democratic state should not be done by Swedish TV4 and other media did. Media should be more nuanced debate. Bertil Tänert, palace spokeswoman, said that he did not know what it was we would comment. The only thing that there is a video clip in which one of TV4 as reporters speak with one of the most notorious criminal gangsters in Sweden and no one can verify authenticity. HRH The King can hardly be condemned in the media to one of his acquaintances said or done weird things? By then, not many people have remained friends with each other - not me either ...
Old 05-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

There appears to be a major confusion about sources, probably because the whole discussion here actually takes place under the wrong topic header.
These news have ceased to be based on the biography of King Carl Gustaf which was published last year.
They're based on the research of a serious book published now by journalist Nuri Kino, 'Den Svenske Gudfadern' (The Swedish Godfather), about the life and businesses of Milan Sevos.
Sevos intimates that he has pictures of King Carl XVI Gustaf in embarrassing situations including several women and the use of hard drugs from the time Sevos managed a private club in Stockholm back in the 1980s.
The King's friend Anders Lettstrom, allegedly pictured with the King on the photos, is said to have contacted Sevos, offering money in order to try to buy the pictures.
Bertil Ternert, spokesman of the court's press department, is currently dealing in an abysmal way with the situation, giving live radio interviews here, talking to tabloids over the phone there, complaining about everyone calling him, and accusing Swedish channel TV4 of boradcasting special programs about the issue...
...instead of dealing with the issue itself and thinking before he speaks.

Link to article with some of the spokesman's latest utterings:
http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/1.24...v-lugna-ner-er
Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Courtier

The best thing he can do IMO is keeping a low profile.
I really see the monarchy in danger now.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis
The best thing he can do IMO is keeping a low profile.
I really see the monarchy in danger now.
Well, a majority of Swedes want the King to abdicate, although the article does say 'in the next ten years'.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226060281261
Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

What would happen if the King were found to have done something illegal or supported something illegal? Would the government ask him to abdicate? Could he be charged with an offence?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
What would happen if the King were found to have done something illegal or supported something illegal? Would the government ask him to abdicate? Could he be charged with an offence?
His Majesty the King has immunity and can not be prosecuted even if he does something illegal.

The king, he is not accused of anything, so long, other than a "friend" to the king talked with one of the most criminal gangsters. What they talked about, pictures or other evidence has not been able to master. So the problem for the court is that they do not have anything to add comments to. No one can ask the court to take responsibility for what a "friend" to the king does!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent

In Sweden, are prosecutions made in the name of the Crown? In other words, if the King was not immune from prosecution, would you have a situation of "His Majesty the King vs. His Majesty the King"? Is this why the king has immunity?

Quote:
His Majesty the King has immunity and can not be prosecuted even if he does something illegal.
True. He can't be held responsible for what his friends do or the contacts they make. However, I also believe that he has let the Swedish people down if the rumours about him are true, to say nothing of the effect on his family. It could well be that the court of public opinion will try him and there could be pressure put on him to abdicate. What particularly bothers me, beyond the adultery question, is the suggested association with the criminal element.

Quote:
No one can ask the court to take responsibility for what a "friend" to the king does!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962
True. He can't be held responsible for what his friends do or the contacts they make. However, I also believe that he has let the Swedish people down if the rumours about him are true, to say nothing of the effect on his family. It could well be that the court of public opinion will try him and there could be pressure put on him to abdicate. What particularly bothers me, beyond the adultery question, is the suggested association with the criminal element.
That's true but so far what we've seen are allegations and rumours. I think there's likely to be an element of truth. It would be dangerous for people to accuse the King of these things if they couldn't back them up at least to some extent. The King has said he is never going to abdicate, though.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
I think there's likely to be an element of truth.
Speculation is just as bad regardless of who is casting them and whom they affect. If you want to behave serous, it is best to wait for the evidence ...

I think we should wait and see the authenticity of the alleged photographic evidence is before us who are interested in the royals also begin to contribute to speculation. If we, you and I, being charged with anything or accused of something we get in all cases, the evidence presented to us and we have an opportunity to respond to what we are accused. Here there is only one of Sweden's most notorious gangsters who says to a journalist who is not confident can verify the authenticity of the images. Nothing has been shown in public and the court has no material to make a comment. We do not know what, when or how. And yet, this has been enough for the Swedish TV 4 blowing up a story. Unbelievable!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Nobility

Karisma: Well, the "photos" were enough to TV4 to act like Fox News did with the rapper that was invitied to the white house and that they found some minor things about. Only reason i know about that rapperthing is due to Daily show btw:)

This has been blown WAY over propotions.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
This has been blown WAY over propotions.
I have to agree, with this. I had a chance to watch TV4 coverage this week, headline in every news and here I had though that Sweden is miles ahead of us, hmm not in this case, one interview aired several days over and over again...

I'm not naive, I don't think that the King is an angel, but accusing him of something without actually showing the evidence is not how serious journalism should be done. If you have something, show it...without that it's just spreading rumors, not journalism.

If there will be any relevant evidence provided and it confirms what was writen, contacting mafia and existence of the photos, then I think it's time for the King to reconsider his abdication statements, or he might very likely be the last Bernadotte on Swedish throne, Sweden is not Italy after all...

Tags
controversy, king carl gustav, king carl xvi gustav