The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Nobility

If this is only the tip of the iceberg and there is much more we dont know about the only thing the king can do for the institution of monarchy in Sweden is abdicate in favour of Victoria. After all, Nixon resigned to preserve the institution of the precidency in the USA, but he actually did stuff that warranted this.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
If this is only the tip of the iceberg and there is much more we dont know about the only thing the king can do for the institution of monarchy in Sweden is abdicate in favour of Victoria. After all, Nixon resigned to preserve the institution of the precidency in the USA, but he actually did stuff that warranted this.
Now you will do the same antics as the reporters on Swedish TV 4, or Fox, as you relate to. You make speculations as if it already would have adequate information. Let the scandal reporters handle this.

In a letter addressed to the media takes the King's friend, Anders Lettenström, blame themselves for the writings that he now realizes damaged the Royal Family.

Here's the link to the letter.

Below is a translation from Google.

"2011 05 22
I request to have the following published.
Best regards!
Anders Lettenström

Sorry, I was naive. Do not blame others.
I am deeply unhappy that I initiated contacts with rogue and criminal records
people on the occasion of the book "The reluctant monarch." I realize afterwards how
injudicious that everyone understands all, who is upset over what I had done even if no one can be
just as mad at me for this as I am myself.
I want this statement to ask my family, all my friends and not least the King to apologize for
that they have been harmed by my very own initiatives. In this story, there is no one else to
blame but me. What I did was I made by myself and no friends have been pre-informed
or involvement. What I seek is to understand how so many lies about me and others have
disseminated in a book. Others have since wanted to get me to buy pictures that I have not known about, not seen, and
not required to purchase and to make me pay for denials of lying statements that I never
wanted to buy. I got into something that was over me in a quest for truth and
with the ambition to make things right.
What drove me to this? I was personally very disturbed by untruths including a
svartklubb that I have not visited and a trip to Bratislava, which I did not do. I wanted to explore
how they come to, how a grossly overloaded criminal person, whom I never met could have
Such credibility and what he really wanted. I was hard pressed by the faulty
exposure and behavior is not rational. At roundabout way I got in contact with Daniel Webb.
He offered to obtain information about a nightclub owner "Mille", who lied about me. Before the
first meeting with Webb, I made no further inquiries about his person. As soon as I
found out his background and understood who he was and what contacts he had, I wanted
close contacts. This proved more difficult than I imagined. Early, but still too late,
I realized that I got into a situation I could not control and that I was a pawn in
others' games. Of course,
it is a wrong speculation that I was supposed to go to Zagreb to negotiate this.
This is thus only about my naivety and foolhardiness, and that I think all the good. The
should not harm anyone but myself. It will perhaps take time to restore it
I have lost confidence in many - but it is what will be my
The most important task. Until then, I take time out from my elected office but will do
all I can to mitigate any damage I and media storm around me may have caused.
Anders Lettenström"

Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Scandal-hit king sees popularity plunge - The Local

The king gave today an interview to TT about alleged visits to strip clubs and contact with the criminal underworld.
Scandal-hit King denies all allegations - The Local
Photos from the interview:
SVD - bilder från intervjun

The whole interview with a video:
Kungen berättar om maffia-affären - ord för ord - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Aristocracy

Unfortunatly, the King made himself look like a total idiot by giving an interview about the scandal.

PR interview gone bad. IMO.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Swedish king flatly denies improprieties, scandal grows

God, how disgraceful! And Mr Ternert, Director of the Information and Press Department, was even sitting next to the King while he disgraced himself!

What are they doing? If you dont have anything more to say then uuhhmms or ehhmmms, reminding the interviewer that he is asking the questions or, to hit rock bottom, as a ruling monarch define what a "strip club" actually is, then leave it.
OK, the King is not very bright but his worst crime is to surround himself with people in key positions who arent bright, either.
Good Night, Swedish Monarchy.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 AM
Serene Highness

Why on earth did they think that giving an interview would help? I sincerely hope that he was at least telling the truth. If any proof against his statements surfaces, he's done for. Also, ruling out abdication may mean the end of the monarchy. Victoria's popularity is really the only thing the SRF has going for it.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Why on earth did they think that giving an interview would help? I sincerely hope that he was at least telling the truth. If any proof against his statements surfaces, he's done for.
Yep. He came across as arrogant, sleazy and with a body language that sreamed "liar". If any proof, such as the infamous pictures, should ever come to light he is finished.

Who on earth advised him to do such an interview at this stage, and even worse, allowed such a pitiful presentation of a Head of State. Now the hole that he has been digging since the first "interview" at the Hunting Lodge is even deeper than before. If you give an interview on the subject, either do it right and are well prepared in order to clear the case or keep your mouth shut.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Okay, if Carl Gustaf says he's done nothing wrong I'll believe him.

But he'd better not have any more skeletons buried anywhere or he's just made one of the absolute biggest mistakes of his life.
He didn't look particularly convincing to me though and I fear this is going back to hit him like a boomerang.

I think this interview was a wrong approach. I mean who advise King Gustav? Laurel and Hardy?
And where is SÄPO in all this? Why aren't they screaming their heads off? Or at the very least going to the government with their concerns?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Nobility

In fact, the intreview was not as bad as it seems. The King spoke in the way he always speaks: rather disjointed and tentative, and body language was as it always is: a little embarrassed. I think that the king quite did well - it is after all a difficult situation and a delicate matter. He was clear on some points but could have been clearer in others.... but the question many swedes rise today is: what happen if the king lied about pictures, if there exist pictures of hi in "situations" after all???
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Yep. He came across as arrogant, sleazy and with a body language that sreamed "liar". If any proof, such as the infamous pictures, should ever come to light he is finished.

Who on earth advised him to do such an interview at this stage, and even worse, allowed such a pitiful presentation of a Head of State. Now the hole that he has been digging since the first "interview" at the Hunting Lodge is even deeper than before. If you give an interview on the subject, either do it right and are well prepared in order to clear the case or keep your mouth shut.
This was exactly my reaction after seeing and reading the interview. What was the point of this circus? It was clear that he did not want to answer the questions asked. What did he expect, that he'll be asked about the weather outside? I've already lost all respect I ever had for him. Now he can only hope that the alleged pictures would never ever see the light of this world, otherwise he's done.

I'm just wondering if this was his idea and the PR department could not convince him that it's a bad one or if this was Terner's idea. If it was the latest he should be fired, right now.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade

The King chooses his own advisors, I think. It might have been his own idea. He should have been prepared for this interview.

If I were his advisor, I would say:

If all the accusations are completely false, say so directly and forcefully and leave open the possibility of suing.

If they are true, admit it as honestly as possible rather than wait for details to surface bit by bit. The sex scandals wouldn't necessarily finish him though I'd feel sorry for the Queen. His alleged associations could leave him vulnerable go blackmail, though, which is a bigger concern.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Even in the belgian newspaper they spoke about the King of Sweden's strange royal way of doing and worse someone has a picture of he King among this ladies.
I am really sad for the Swedish Monarchy.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Mille Markovic says that the photos will be published during the next few months, when his biography is ready.
Mille Markovic: "Bilderna släpps inom några månader" - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate
Släpper bilderna på nätet” | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Old 05-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Mille Markovic says that the photos will be published during the next few months, when his biography is ready.
Mille Markovic: "Bilderna släpps inom några månader" - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate
Släpper bilderna på nätet” | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
If this is true and the King is exposed as liar it will be the end of his acceptance as monarch.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Courtier

Oh my god, what was that???? The most horrible interview I have ever seen! With this ääähs and öööhs and this unsure body language he´s trying to convince us about his innocence? Not convincing at all! And as Mille Markovic´s only reply the day after this interview: I will come with the proofs... I really really fear what material he has.... and what this material contains of! I agree with the others: if there are real picture proofs, this interview (and his pseudo-denial) really kills him!
BYe Bine
Old 05-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221
Oh my god, what was that???? The most horrible interview I have ever seen! With this ääähs and öööhs and this unsure body language he´s trying to convince us about his innocence? Not convincing at all! And as Mille Markovic´s only reply the day after this interview: I will come with the proofs... I really really fear what material he has.... and what this material contains of! I agree with the others: if there are real picture proofs, this interview (and his pseudo-denial) really kills him!
BYe Bine
The king is not the most comfortable person in public at the best of times. Publishing photos in the next few months? This is very serious.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Courtier

I think they should give it a rest and leave the king in peace. Who cares... He was right answering the questions like he did, some of the questions were downright stupid. Some people for example would define Moulin Rouge as a sex club, some (most) wouldn't. Besides, he's dyslexic and has trouble with social situations but everyone always seems to forget this and interpret his fidgeting and uncomfortableness the wrong way. I do not care if he has done what he is accused of or not, I just want all this money hungry crap to end.

There are far more serious problems in Sweden at the moment but I guess since those issues cannot be discussed, the attention must be turned into things that are not important at all... Let them destroy their monarchy if they want, they'll later regret it.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:12 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I do not care if he has done what he is accused of or not, I just want all this money hungry crap to end.

There are far more serious problems in Sweden at the moment but I guess since those issues cannot be discussed, the attention must be turned into things that are not important at all... Let them destroy their monarchy if they want, they'll later regret it.
The Head of State potentially involved in criminal activities is not a serious problem?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Long time ago , before his wedding I saw on TV a very important thread saying that King
Carl Gustav was able to be King because his Grandfather had such a long Reign et secondly because Sweden had then an excellent Prime Minister the late Olof Palme .
Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The Head of State potentially involved in criminal activities is not a serious problem?
Well, I have seen no credible evidence or proof that he has been involved in any kind of criminal activities. Watching naked ladies go at it is not a criminal activity IMO (or having friends who allegedly might have tried to do business with organized crime, you can never know for sure what your friends are up to), but then again I'm quite liberal in my views.

I and many people I know just think the whole thing has gone ridiculous in Sweden (which in a way does not surprise us... ). The Swedish people are free to get rid of their king but can they honestly say that a president for example would be a better choice? Just look at ours...

Tags
controversy, king carl gustav, king carl xvi gustav