A new Nobel Center is planned to be inaugurated in Blasieholmen on 4th October 2016. Many are against building of it. King Carl Gustaf is critical about the plans to build a new Nobel Center to the place it is now planned.
- Nobel is a name that we want to protect, of course. We want to preserve and increase its value. And those who do this have a laudable objective, but that the house has become so large and come a little bit in the wrong place is a shame. And it's very sad that it has become such an animated debate.
Both the king and the queen are in favor of taking private initiatives in honor of Nobel's memory, but have some comments on the planned on Blasieholmen.
We are moving towards the old Kungliga Tullhuset (Royal Customs House).
- This house represents its time and contact with other countries. It is about Sweden's good trade relations with the rest of Europe and even far across the oceans. The building was a central point in the city. So it's a very nice environment.
But the Customs House will be demolished under the new zoning?
- Or moved, tabs Queen Silvia in.
- No, it is not, says the King. You can not move it. The point is that the house is not going anywhere. And look, this could of course be the finest restaurant. It's a great place. And with a park in front of.
But will the Nobel Centre get a place then?
- It doesn't need to be so gigantic, having this huge volume. You can downsize and turn in different directions. And why get bogged down in the trenches and say it should be right here? It is also possible to move it.
Has the Nobel Foundation been in contact with the king about this?
- Yes, I have been pretty close versed in this project for a long time.
And what does the King say then?
- I discuss it openly. As I do now. That said, it is a laudable project, but the building could be moved.
Both the king and queen have questions about the facade of the Nobel Center. Brass can't be used due to environmental reasons, but it is planned an alloy with stainless steel, brass color.
- It becomes sharp. Strong color. Dominant. Very domineering.
And the shape of the house then?
- I will not put me in that, says the King, I can not discredit everything here.
- I find it a bit strange that an architect has made such a proposal, the Queen says.
Is there more roles for the Swedish royal family on these issues? What would you be willing and able to do?
- We can listen to the people. The people of Stockholm are proud of their city and of the historical heritage. And thanks to a good dialogue between different groups can push things further. Both improving and preserving old environments which there is so much left in Stockholm. It's really important. And fun.
Kungen_ ”Det går ju att flytta på Nobel Center” - DN.SE