General News about King Carl Gustaf & Queen Silvia 1: February 2016 - December 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
General News about King Carl Gustaf & Queen Silvia 1: February 2016 - December 2023

King Carl XVI Gustaf & Queen Silvia General News Thread​

211px-Greater_coat_of_arms_of_Sweden.svg.png

Please use this thread to post general news ,sightings and pictures of King Carl XVI Gustav and Queen Silvia in this thread.

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning called to photographer Peter Knutson, who took the latest official photos of the king and queen, published to the king's 70th birthday.
Knutson was surprised when he got the call. At first he thought that he would photograph the staff at the court, but when he realized that it was the king's official portrait, he was pleasantly surprised. He mainly takes photos of celebrities and covers of magazines. The king and queen were very easy going to deal with. Knutson also took the official photo at the King's banquet but he didn't stay at the party afterwards. If the court calls again, he would be happy to take photos again.
Han är hovets nya mästerfotograf _ Svensk Damtidning

There will be no official celebration on the 40th wedding anniversary of the king and queen.
- No, that's right. There is nothing official planned, says Margareta Thorgren.
The cause is according to Expressen's information the royal super year 2016 with all the things that have occurred in the past five months. Two births, the king's grand 70th anniversary celebration that lasted for over a week, and on Friday a major televised christening.
Why not celebrate?
- The royal couple have chosen a private celebration.
How will that happen?
- It is private and therefore we communicate nothing about it.
The same day as the king and queen have their 40-year anniversary also Silvia celebrates 40 years as queen of Sweden. In the current situation nothing official will be due to that either. When the King celebrated 40 years on the throne in 2013 there was large official celebration but the Queen 40 years has not been included in the official schedule.
- There is currently nothing scheduled.
Those who want to woo the king and queen on wedding day. Or those who want to congratulate the Queen of 40 years on the throne. How should they do?
- We get back to you with information when it gets closer.
Otippat besked från SIlvia_ Inget firande på bröllopsdagen _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

A new Nobel Center is planned to be inaugurated in Blasieholmen on 4th October 2016. Many are against building of it. King Carl Gustaf is critical about the plans to build a new Nobel Center to the place it is now planned.
- Nobel is a name that we want to protect, of course. We want to preserve and increase its value. And those who do this have a laudable objective, but that the house has become so large and come a little bit in the wrong place is a shame. And it's very sad that it has become such an animated debate.
Both the king and the queen are in favor of taking private initiatives in honor of Nobel's memory, but have some comments on the planned on Blasieholmen.
We are moving towards the old Kungliga Tullhuset (Royal Customs House).
- This house represents its time and contact with other countries. It is about Sweden's good trade relations with the rest of Europe and even far across the oceans. The building was a central point in the city. So it's a very nice environment.
But the Customs House will be demolished under the new zoning?
- Or moved, tabs Queen Silvia in.
- No, it is not, says the King. You can not move it. The point is that the house is not going anywhere. And look, this could of course be the finest restaurant. It's a great place. And with a park in front of.
But will the Nobel Centre get a place then?
- It doesn't need to be so gigantic, having this huge volume. You can downsize and turn in different directions. And why get bogged down in the trenches and say it should be right here? It is also possible to move it.
Has the Nobel Foundation been in contact with the king about this?
- Yes, I have been pretty close versed in this project for a long time.
And what does the King say then?
- I discuss it openly. As I do now. That said, it is a laudable project, but the building could be moved.
Both the king and queen have questions about the facade of the Nobel Center. Brass can't be used due to environmental reasons, but it is planned an alloy with stainless steel, brass color.
- It becomes sharp. Strong color. Dominant. Very domineering.
And the shape of the house then?
- I will not put me in that, says the King, I can not discredit everything here.
- I find it a bit strange that an architect has made such a proposal, the Queen says.
Is there more roles for the Swedish royal family on these issues? What would you be willing and able to do?
- We can listen to the people. The people of Stockholm are proud of their city and of the historical heritage. And thanks to a good dialogue between different groups can push things further. Both improving and preserving old environments which there is so much left in Stockholm. It's really important. And fun.
Kungen_ ”Det går ju att flytta på Nobel Center” - DN.SE
Translation

Last edited:
I have read on The Local Sweden that the king has been criticised by a Stockholm councillor. He said substantially that they don't need the king's opinion on this topic. “No, he's one hundred years too late. He is entitled to have an opinion on aesthetics, but Sweden has been a democracy since 1919,” “It feels absurd to, in the year 2016, respond to questions about what the Royal Family wants.” I find this attitude strange. The king may not be the most diplomatic person out there but one would think that he is entitled as everyone else to have an opinion. Is it so unacceptable that he expresses a simple personal opinion on these kind of issues? I don't know. I'm just asking.

:previous: yeah, it doesnt give a good flow
thanks for the updates :flowers:

I have read on The Local Sweden that the king has been criticised by a Stockholm councillor. He said substantially that they don't need the king's opinion on this topic. “No, he's one hundred years too late. He is entitled to have an opinion on aesthetics, but Sweden has been a democracy since 1919,” “It feels absurd to, in the year 2016, respond to questions about what the Royal Family wants.” I find this attitude strange. The king may not be the most diplomatic person out there but one would think that he is entitled as everyone else to have an opinion. Is it so unacceptable that he expresses a simple personal opinion on these kind of issues? I don't know. I'm just asking.

It sounds like this city councilor has a strong republican bent. It wasn't necessary to take a swipe at the king that way, and I'm no fan of CG. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the record wanting to see the monarchy abolished.

There will be no official celebration on the 40th wedding anniversary of the king and queen.
- No, that's right. There is nothing official planned, says Margareta Thorgren.
The cause is according to Expressen's information the royal super year 2016 with all the things that have occurred in the past five months. Two births, the king's grand 70th anniversary celebration that lasted for over a week, and on Friday a major televised christening.
Why not celebrate?
- The royal couple have chosen a private celebration.
How will that happen?
- It is private and therefore we communicate nothing about it.
The same day as the king and queen have their 40-year anniversary also Silvia celebrates 40 years as queen of Sweden. In the current situation nothing official will be due to that either. When the King celebrated 40 years on the throne in 2013 there was large official celebration but the Queen 40 years has not been included in the official schedule.
- There is currently nothing scheduled.
Those who want to woo the king and queen on wedding day. Or those who want to congratulate the Queen of 40 years on the throne. How should they do?
- We get back to you with information when it gets closer.
Otippat besked från SIlvia_ Inget firande på bröllopsdagen _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

Could it possible that the royal purse has been strecthed so thin that a big party for Silvia is not affordable? I was looking for this to be a tiara event; I think they did a big party for Silvia's 70th birthday. She has a stamp in her honor, maybe another event like the outer courtyard similar to the king's birthday. For all she put up with - including the public scandals - she should get a big celebration.

Aftonbladet has published a special Royal magazine with 84 pages due to the 40th wedding anniversary. Royal expert Jenny Alexandersson tells about the magazine at her blog:
The King's and Queen's friends describe the couple, and we take a look at their early years before they met, and if you've always wondered why the king likes masquerades you get the answer in this magazine. Photos of parties, travelling and everything about the couple's private paradise. The king and queen have by the way their own tips on how to get a long marriage to last.
Allt om kungaparets kärleksjubileum _ Hovbloggen

Could it possible that the royal purse has been strecthed so thin that a big party for Silvia is not affordable? I was looking for this to be a tiara event; I think they did a big party for Silvia's 70th birthday. She has a stamp in her honor, maybe another event like the outer courtyard similar to the king's birthday. For all she put up with - including the public scandals - she should get a big celebration.

I never expected any grand celebrations of either the 40th of the Queen Silvia as Queen nor their 40th Wedding anniversary. Since the year is full of other events and celebrations, I think it's logic not to prioritize this, maybe not only due to financial reasons, but the amount of events and attention. The King and Queen have probably decided that they celebrate this in the best way privately.

I expected that the king and queen would have had a small private celebration with their family and closest friends. Svensk Damtidning asked Madeleine in Gotland if they are looking forward to celebrate the king and queen 40 years married. Madeleine said that unfortunately they (Madeleine and family) are not at home then, there will be congratulations on a phone.

Last edited:

Never heard about a big party for the Queen's 70th birthday.
She is not the head of state but the consort
Such birthday parties are only reserved for the head of state

I expected that the king and queen would have had a small private celebration with their family and closest friends. Svensk Damtidning asked Madeleine in Gotland if they are looking forward to celebrate the king and queen 40 years married. Madeleine said that unfortunately they (Madeleine and family) are not at home then, there will be congratulations on a phone.

Neither are the other children or family, because it will not be celebrated

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Wow, that looks like an 80s circus dress. Was the party themed or something? I'm so used to seeing Queen Silvia well dressed, this appearance is an anomaly.

Queen Silvia told to Svensk Damtidning at her work event at Silviahemmet today, that she and the king are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary in Öland. According to the court it is a celebration for the closest family, but Madeleine told in Gotland to Svensk Damtidning that they are not in Sweden next weekend.
- I'm hoping for a surprise, said queen Silvia.
Vi avslöjar! Så ska kungaparet fira bröllopsdagen _ Svensk Damtidning

The king and queen have both work events on next Tuesday, but according to the calendar the summer holiday starts for the others after the Polar Music Prize on Thursday.

Probably they will be together in Öland and celebrate together.

The children are on holiday, so I don know what the court means with closest family (probably some sisters of the King and brothers of the Queen)

Last edited:
I don't think they all are on holiday, only Madeleine's family seems to be back in London.

I don't think they all are on holiday, only Madeleine's family seems to be back in London.

No, of course they are not on holiday, we can see that from the calendar.
The king, queen, Victoria, Daniel, Carl Philip and Sofia attend at the Polar Music Prize on Thursday. That is a work event. And like I wrote, after Thursday it seems according to the calendar that only the king and queen have work events next Tuesday. Queen Silvia has a work event on 12th July and nothing for the others until the whole family attends at Victoriadagen-concert.

Queen Silvia said that she hopes for a suprise, meaning that she hopes that Madeleine and family would arrive to Öland on next weekend although Madeleine said to Svensk Damtidning that they will not be in Sweden then. Svensk Damtidning wrote last week that Madeleine was still in Stockholm on her birthday 10th June, so perhaps the family went back to London last weekend.

No, of course they are not on holiday, we can see that from the calendar.
The king, queen, Victoria, Daniel, Carl Philip and Sofia attend at the Polar Music Prize on Thursday. That is a work event. And like I wrote, after Thursday it seems according to the calendar that only the king and queen have work events next Tuesday. Queen Silvia has a work event on 12th July and nothing for the others until the whole family attends at Victoriadagen-concert.

Queen Silvia said that she hopes for a suprise, meaning that she hopes that Madeleine and family would arrive to Öland on next weekend although Madeleine said to Svensk Damtidning that they will not be in Sweden then. Svensk Damtidning wrote last week that Madeleine was still in Stockholm on her birthday 10th June, so perhaps the family went back to London last weekend.

Thank you for your detailed report ;-). I think the whole family will starting slowing with the agenda in july...

I hope Madeleine will call her parents or willl surprise Silvia in any way. But that's a personal matter, so they will have to deal it whithin the family.:lol:

The Board of the Foundation Royal Wedding Fund (The king's and queen's wedding foundation) has decided at a meeting at the Royal Palace on Thursday, May 26, 2016 decided to award grants totaling 703 000 SEK.
Utdelning 2016 Stiftelsen Kungaparets Bröllopsfond - Sveriges Kungahus

Thank you for your detailed report ;-). I think the whole family will starting slowing with the agenda in july...

The royal family usually starts their holiday from midsummer in June at the latest, some members even week before that, so they do the same thing this year too.

Johan T Lindwall was with the king and queen in Bhutan and in the end of the visit he spoke with the king and queen about their 40th wedding anniversary, video of the interview at the article:

The king begins with a funny nod to his wife:
- Is it 40 years? Congratulations, he says to his wife, laughing.
The queen says:
- It is initially difficult to summarize 40 years. It feels much shorter. Very, very short. When I look at my children and grandchildren all, I understand that there have been many, many years. Also very intense years.
King Carl Gustaf:
- Just take a situation as today. We stand here today in Bhutan in a small village, it is a little fascinating, I think. During these years, we have made most trips together and represented Sweden, both at home and abroad. In many parts of the world and it's part of the whole.
The King points out that he and Silvia have a unique benefit that many others do not have:
- We work together after all and it is not everyone who has the ability to do it. The fact that in this way we will be very close to each other and have time to discuss in the cars to and from the various visit places about the things you have been through and experienced, or people you've met. Compare how you perceive things, discuss and meet people, is a support for each other. We may have some different views, it is double impression, it is good, then you can compare.
The queen interrupts:
- It seems that this has become a 40-year honeymoon?
- Well, says the King and squirms. Not really?
Then he says with his sometimes a bit special humor:
- A honeymoon with you all, it had probably been fantastic, he says referring to all the others with them, including the small Swedish media group that has followed the state visit.
The King seems very proud of the Queen?
- Yes, yes. I think she has done well during all these years.
Silvia who stands next puts her hand on her Carl XVI Gustaf and says:
- I have to say. I'm very proud to have such a nice man!
Kungen och Silvia om 40-åriga bröllopsdagen _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

The royal court has put a link to the video of the highlights of the king and queen's wedding to their Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset

And a photo to court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BG00r45v8lX/?taken-by=kungahuset

Svensk Damtidning has an article about queen Silvia - what she has said about herself, what her family members, friends and other people have said about her.
Väninnorna, hovdamen och kungen avslöjar_ Så är Silvia privat _ Svensk Damtidning

Expressen has a short video from today. The king left Solliden courtyard with a Jeep and his dog. Later the king and queen were walking at Alvaret with Tord Magnuson and two bodyguards. The king picked up a flower and gave it to the queen. Margareta Thorgren said to Expressen that the royal couple has decided to celebrate very privately. Those invited are friends, family and relatives. The king and queen have celebrated today with the people closest to them.
The king and queen have been out at Alvaret picking flowers?
- The king and queen have had some activities today. That may have been one of them, said Thorgren.
Kungens fina kärleksgest till drottning Silvia _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish this couplle well, and although they are not affectionate or fans od public display of affection in public, I hope they ahve solved and worked out all the troubles.

No children on the King and Queen's 40th anniversary at Öland
Crownprincess Victoria and Prince Daniel and family were not at Öland this weekend.
Prince Carl Philip was racing in Anderstorp this weekend
Princess Madeleine and mr. Chris O'Neill and family were in London this weekend

Last edited:
Happy 40th anniversary to the couple :flowers:

Not surprised Victoria and Daniel aren't there to celebrate, likely celebrating their own anniversary with their kids. One down side with sharing an anniversary with your parents. :)

I am sure the whole family may celebrate later during their summer holidays when all together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom