The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess
Did I say Mary felt ill??? No, I didn't. I just said she looked deathly pale, washed out, frail and old - thanks for the pearl choker.

I brought up the ruby tiara because Mary's ruby tiara never looked right on Mary. It looked too big for her head. Contrary to Maxima, I think Maxima looked far more regal carrying off this ruby tiara than Mary did. I simply disagree that Mary looked more regal as you and some others claimed. She looked washed out and didn't carry herself in a confident way as Maxima did at this occasion.
Now, now, girls! Play nicely....

Let's face it, even if you're pale, you can still wear something to brighten you up/contrast your skin colour (which Mary's done rather successfully on previous occasions), but looking at the pic with Nikolaus, I think it's her make-up that looked all wrong. I'll never forget one of the first brides I photographed: her face was MUCH to pale for the rest of her body but I didn't realize it on the day. Only when the photographs were printed did I see the shocking truth. (Needless to say, the marriage didn't last...)

And I agree that Mary's ruby tiara did not look right - ONLY on the occasion when she wore her hair loose (YUK!). However, on the occasion of her pre-wedding banquet, she wore it truly splendidly...in a way Maxima could learn from. Unfortunately, the most stunning I've seen Maxima wear a tiara was at CP Haakon's wedding before her own marriage; to me, she wasn't quite matched that elegance since (well, from what I've seen, anyway).

Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess
Did I say Mary felt ill??? No, I didn't. I just said she looked deathly pale, washed out, frail and old - thanks for the pearl choker.

If Swedish princesses could get a tan in Sweden, I'm sure Mary or any other Danish women could get a tan in Denmark. Heck, you don't even have to use a sun tanning bed. There's those sun tan spray I'm sure Mary's "professional skin consultant" knows about. Mary, for some reason, chose to be this deathly pale. And the pale gray lavender made her look completely washed out. She either doesn't have a mirror - which I doubt - or she's surrounded by people who keep telling her she looks good whatever she wears. She doesn't. White lies do not do her any favor.

I brought up the ruby tiara because Mary's ruby tiara never looked right on Mary. It looked too big for her head. Contrary to Maxima, I think Maxima looked far more regal carrying off this ruby tiara than Mary did. I simply disagree that Mary looked more regal as you and some others claimed. She looked washed out and didn't carry herself in a confident way as Maxima did at this occasion.
I interpreted deathly pale as a health condition. My mistake.

I agree the ruby tiara doesn't do Mary much justice and vice versa. It was better for Ingrid and her shorter, bowly hairstyle.

Whether Mary, Victoria or Madeleine want a tan and to what extend is their own personal business. Madeleine gets constant critique for her sunburned look. In 200 years people may look at pictures of princess Madeleine and think she looks like a hard working sugar plantation girl with her constant Brazilian tan. Victoria probably has another skin colour in herself than Mary does. We all know many Englishmen look like death itself with their superpale skin tone and the dark hair. I think however that Mary is right to play conservative when it comes to tanning as well as heavy makeup solutions. After all, she is not there to look sexy just like every other girl, she's there to honour a King's birthday on behalf of a neighbour country.

It could also be that Mary ''dressed down'' deliberately because she simply didn't want to be the centre of attention. Wheras Maxima felt she was up to it. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Serene Highness

I agree that Maxima did look gorgeous in that red dress. But. There's a but here: when you're young and good looking, and you pick a beautiful dress in bright red, you're guaranteed to be the center of attention--which may ultimately upstage the hosts of the party, if that's not you. Even a traffic light knows this.
This is why I think that Mary was better dressed: because she calculated in what her place was going to be for said occasion. As in, she was a guest at another royal house, and it was really a party at which the 'older' royals should have had the spotlight. Subtle Mary seems to have realized all this, and I have to say I can appreciate that.
Maxima typically also plans her clothes well, but for this one just judging by her clothes it certainly looked as if it was <her> throwing the party, and not anyone else, even if she didn't conciously planned it that way.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Photos from Royal Press Europe
http://www.royalpress.nl/20060430.html
Old 05-13-2006, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Please do not turn this into a fight about best-dressed/best be-jeweled lady - let's keep this thread on topic and not make it into something it's not here for. This is a thread to discuss the three day birthday celebrations of King Carl XVI Gustaf, so please do so with good taste.

Thank you!
// GrandDuchess, as Super Moderator.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Commoner

First of all, thank you for all these great pictures.
I was wondering why CP Mary wears her band with decorations from left to right and not like all other princesses from right to left...
like in this picture:
http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=...0502022725.jpg
Old 05-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joko
First of all, thank you for all these great pictures.
I was wondering why CP Mary wears her band with decorations from left to right and not like all other princesses from right to left...
like in this picture:
http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=...0502022725.jpg
It´s becaus the ligthblue ribbon CP Mary is wearing is not the same as CP Victoria and her sister are wearing.
The ligthblue ribbon Mary is wearing is the order of the Elephant and it is the higest order we have her in Denmark...the ruel for wearing the order is that the person are wearing it from left to rigth.

I am not acquainted with the ruels for the Swedish ribbons :(

Old 05-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

There are different rules for different orders. It has been discussed in detail during the King's birtday celebration threads and sites. Perhaps if you look back on this thread there will be some info for you.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Aristocracy

:) :)
Wow, what a great display of jewels and fantastic dresses! I liked them all, although Pricess Mary's hairdo was quite strange and in my opinion it didn't really fit with the tiara. I guess queen Silvia's tiara was really heavy, at least that's how it seems to be. Beautiful pictures! The one from the Romanian site are great!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Nobility

I loved the Point de Vue magazine cover - they featured the princesses, and cut out the future kings! I have to admit I'm more interested in the Princesses, but it's kind of funny that a royalty magazine is making it so obvious where its interest lies!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Aristocracy

some pictures

Very beautiful pictures at:

http://www.royalpress.nl/20060430.html

and

http://www.royalportraits.nl/20060430.htm

It seems to me that Madeleine put on some weight, until now it was Victoria who seemed fuller, now I have the impression that Victoria is more slim than Madeleine. Or maybe it's just an impression, I don't know.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I saw only one pic of the Swedish Royal couple attending the first night dinner in honor of the King's 60th birthday, labeled 'private'.
On this occasion, Queen Silvia wore her black & white 1994 Nobel dress which must be an absolute favorite since she has worn it many times since. As I can't find the pic anymore, could anybody be so kind to post it here?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I went through this whole thread and was very impressed the pomp and circumstance. Great pics. I love seeing pics of the Swedish royals. The siblings look so happy.:)
Old 05-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea
does anyone know if Point de Vue is sold in the US? and if so where? cuz i would really love to get a copy of this issue celebrating the king's birthday.
I've bought it at Borders bookstore.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
I saw only one pic of the Swedish Royal couple attending the first night dinner in honor of the King's 60th birthday, labeled 'private'.
On this occasion, Queen Silvia wore her black & white 1994 Nobel dress which must be an absolute favorite since she has worn it many times since. As I can't find the pic anymore, could anybody be so kind to post it here?
really? I must have missed that... I only saw photos of Carl Philip and the king (and princess Madeleine from behind :) ) but none of queen Silvia...
If anyone find the photo, please post!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Royal Highness

Does anyone know if a group photo including with King and all his royal guests and family was ever published?
Old 06-03-2006, 05:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
Does anyone know if a group photo including with King and all his royal guests and family was ever published?
dont think so... I´ve only seen ones of the royal family, one of the princesses and one of the ruling kings and queens
Old 06-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Royal birthday bash
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/bi...cle1300583.ece
Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/428531-post177.html

Here's another couple of the Duke and Duchess of Bragança (head of the Portuguese royal house).
From GettyImages and SeegerPress:
Old 06-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
I think Emma Pernald, Prince Carl Philip's girlfriend, looked great tonight, and her dress is my favourite of the evening!

Queen Sonja also looked fantastic, her dress is really nice and it really suits her so well, and a good dress for such a party too! Princess Máxima was really radiant, nice to see her in such a different creation. Perhaps with sweet memories from earlier today, during Queen's Day! :) Princess Lilian was also very elegant, looking lovely as always - but one can see that she's really becoming more fragile now.
Emma?? You kidding? The best is Maxima. Emma is complete out. White dress?And that shoes? I don't agree with you, sorry.

Tags
ball, birthday, birthday celebration, carl gustav, carl philip, crown princess victoria, european royalty, king carl xvi gustav, lilian, official birthday, prince carl philip, princess lilian, queen silvia, silvia, princess madeleine