King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th Birthday Celebrations: April 28-30, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually the Earl and Countress of Wessex seem to be the representatives of the UK at events such as this. It is a disappointment that no one from the UK will be present. I hoped this kind of event could reintroduce Masako back into the royal circle. :( Even if she didn't go; Naruhito could have made an appearance. I understand security measures but I still find it disappointing that Felipe and Letizia cannot come with the King and Queen. It would have been great fun to see all the heirs interacting together. This is a birthday party and should be a lot of fun and a great time to catch up with royal friends. :)

I would imagine that the Royal Families plan well ahead when it comes to functions that they have to attend. According to press reports the invitations to the King's birthday celebrations were sent out only 6 weeks prior to this weekend (due tothe death of the Queen's brother) and by that time it may have been too late for some people to be able to attend. The sailing competition that Prince Frederik is involved in has been planned months ago for example. This is all just my humble opinion.

Stellad

Alisa said:
It's strange that no one from the UK or Japan will be present.
If this list is the official one, I agree with you Alisa, I find it very very strange! I mean the British Royal Family is quite big if you look to the extended family, and so is the Japanese, so they could've at least sent one of the "minor" royals!

Great to see that Princess Majda Raad will attend! I remember seeing her at the Jordanian State Visit to Sweden together with her husband Prince Raad, that was so lovely! And last summer she was one of the "summer talkers" (every year a big number of known people are selected to host each their own programme, called "Summer Talkers", on Swedish Radio, were they are allowed to choose their own subjects and music).

Aftonbladet says that the King's sisters and families are also coming, as are Queen Silvia's brothers and their wifes. As I reported earlier in this thread, Svensk Damtidning also earlier said that many of the comital Bernadottes are coming, so I assume that they will attend the official celebrations and not just the private party.

Also coming are Prince Leopold and Princess Ursula of Bavaria, Duke and Duchess Max Emanuel of Bavaria, Prince Andreas of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha, Hereditary Prince Hubertus of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha.

Last edited:
stellad said:
I would imagine that the Royal Families plan well ahead when it comes to functions that they have to attend. According to press reports the invitations to the King's birthday celebrations were sent out only 6 weeks prior to this weekend (due tothe death of the Queen's brother) and by that time it may have been too late for some people to be able to attend. The sailing competition that Prince Frederik is involved in has been planned months ago for example. This is all just my humble opinion.

Stellad

Well said...........Stellad. :)

In fact, Crown Prince Frederik has involved in the long-term competition sailing commitment for the benefit of Denmark, long before Crown Prince Frederik receives the Swedish King's invitation.

Below is the article in POLITKEN dated 25 November 2005 : The Crown Prince gets world championship to Denmark - The Farr 40 class world championship will be held in Denmark in 2007. Apparently CP Frederik is the one that have pulled the strings to get the championship to Denmark and CP Frederik will compete himself in the race. He will intensify the training with his crew already this winter in Italy and also compete in the world championship in USA in 2006. (Thanks to commoner for the above translation at the Crown Princess Mary of Denmark Message Board)

Danish article: http://politiken.dk/VisArtikel.sasp?PageID=409828

Credit commoner at the Crown Princess Mary of Denmark Message Board for the above information and the Politiken link!

I am also very impressed by an excellent comment from a poster - pmb on below link :

http://members3.boardhost.com/scandinavia/msg/1145560826.html

pmb has explained beautifully the reasons why Crown Prince Frederik can't attend the Birthday's Party as below :

Crown Prince Frederik sails in the Farr 40 series on the European circuit. This is not the small 3-man Dragon Class which he also sails, but a bigger yacht with a team of ? 10 or so. The rules are that the owner must be the helmsman. He and his team have been entered for the entire 2006 series of races, we can reasonably assume, from long before the Swedish King's invitation could have been sent, and possibly from before it was known whether Crown Princely couples were being invited.

According to an article in Politiken last December, Crown Prince Frederik has been instrumental in securing Denmark as the location for next year's Farr40 class World Championships. (Reported by commoner at CPMEoDM)
This is, world class racing, not leasure yachting for his own sake.

I hope this throws some light on the subject.

We like to see the Royal families all get together, but I think King Carl XVI Gustaf will be attuned to the reality of commitment in competition sailing.
happy.gif

http://www.farr40.it/

Last edited by a moderator:
Larzen said:
The guestlist
All the Kings and Queens (except UK and Japan) and all the Crown Prince couples except Frederik, Charles and Camilla, Felipe and Letizia (buu on them)

http://www.royalcourt.se/evenemang/hmkonungen60ar/aktuellahandelser/aktuellahandelserhmk60ar/5.1768b0a10a11dc6ebe80004679.html

great turnout!
I'm glad some of the crownprincely couple decide to attend as well. :)
It would be great seeing the Norwegian, Belgian, Dutch, and Danish as family. :D

I know that Juan Carlos & Sofia never bring Felipe & Letizia on official visit, but this birthday celebration is a mere than just an official event, it's also family function, is it not? so yeah.. i was hoping they could mingle more, since i thought Victoria is close to Felipe as well. :(
I'm glad Jordan is sending Ali & Rym (and with their daughter as well) - perhaps we can get pictures of the family together. ;)

I am missing the Prince and Princess of Hannover, Caroline did attend the 50th birthday party of the King (and looked absolutely gorgeous).

zarzuela said:
I am not surprised that Felipe and Letizia are not attending the celebrations because traditionally they never travel abroad with their majesties the Queen and King of Spain. You'll only see them together in events within Spain. Take a look at past royal weddings and if the Prince goes (even accompanying Queen Sofia), the King will not go.

I guess this is due to security purposes.

Ah, good point. Yeah, I guess they have to be extra careful (probably more so than other countries) because of the trouble makers that are in Spain. It's unfortunate for us though. :(

Linda Hsu said:
pmb has explained beautifully the reasons why Crown Prince Frederik can't attend the Birthday's Party as below :

Crown Prince Frederik sails in the Farr 40 series on the European circuit. This is not the small 3-man Dragon Class which he also sails, but a bigger yacht with a team of ? 10 or so. The rules are that the owner must be the helmsman. He and his team have been entered for the entire 2006 series of races, we can reasonably assume, from long before the Swedish King's invitation could have been sent, and possibly from before it was known whether Crown Princely couples were being invited.

According to an article in Politiken last December, Crown Prince Frederik has been instrumental in securing Denmark as the location for next year's Farr40 class World Championships. (Reported by commoner at CPMEoDM
cool.gif
This is, world class racing, not leasure yachting for his own sake.

Well... now that you put it like that... I guess it's understandable. Still, he seems to miss some very important events. I didn't realize he didn't attend Haakon's wedding! :( I wonder if Frederick will make a point to attend his own children's weddings when they grow up... or if he must sail! :rolleyes: Ok, I'm being facetious... you know I'm just kidding. ;) :p

Not that this relates to the Swedish festivites, but I think you will find that CP Frederik did attend CP Haakon's wedding as he was Haakon's best man.

rchat said:
Well... now that you put it like that... I guess it's understandable. Still, he seems to miss some very important events. I didn't realize he didn't attend Haakon's wedding! :( I wonder if Frederick will make a point to attend his own children's weddings when they grow up... or if he must sail! :rolleyes: Ok, I'm being facetious... you know I'm just kidding. ;) :p
He did attend Haakon's wedidng. Both him and Felipe did not attend Ingrid Alexandra's christening, despite both being named godfathers.

He has a yacht racing event to go to that may well have been planned months in advance. A couple of posts up explains the whole thing. While I understand the reasons that Frederick cannot come; it still makes me sad that he won't be there. IMO the British Royal Family being totally absent is the worst. As said by Grandduchess; the BRF is quite big so they could have sent somebody.

Well someone who will come on the Party on saturday is quite suprisingly Daniel Westling, Emma Pernald and Jonas Bergstrøm

Its even confirmed by the new press woman Nina Eldh (I like her already:D )

She says:
- The gala on sunday is of more official form and there the royals childrens partners are not invited

- They (Victoria, CP and Madeleine) have been allowed to invite a group of their friends to the private party on Saturday and in that group is their boyfriends and girlfriend

Emma Pernald say when Aftonbladet calls her that this weekend she will enjoy the spring weather and walk her dog
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,815516,00.html
I hope we will have pictures of them arrivng but somehow I would not be suprised if they arrived trough the back door.

Wow! Anni-Frid Lyngstad will attend the King's Birthday?! That's so great! I am a big fan of her and really hope for amazing pictures of her! :)
Does anyone know if she'll just attend the private pary or also the Gala events? :confused:

Princess_Beatrix said:
Wow! Anni-Frid Lyngstad will attend the King's Birthday?! That's so great! I am a big fan of her and really hope for amazing pictures of her! :)

That's Princess Ruzzo Reuss von Plauen, a very good friend of both Their Majesties.

Anni-Fird's husband has since passed away. Cause of death? cancer at age 49 years, 1999.

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
That's Princess Ruzzo Reuss von Plauen, a very good friend of both Their Majesties.

Anni-Fird's husband has since passed away. Cause of death? cancer at age 49 years, 1999.

"MII"
Yes I know about that...
a very sad story. :( She lost her husband and her daughter only in 2 years.
I'm glad she returned to public. :)

jobo said:
Not that this relates to the Swedish festivites, but I think you will find that CP Frederik did attend CP Haakon's wedding as he was Haakon's best man.

Oops... I meant he didn't attend CP Haakon's daughter's christening and CP Felipe's wedding. I know Frederick & Mary were on their honeymoon, but still couldn't they have coordinated their weddings better so they could attend? Anyway, enough about Frederick since this isn't his thread. :) Back to the King of Sweden...

Easy-going Swedish king unfazed by turning 60

STOCKHOLM (AFP) - Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf said that the environment and integration of immigrants into Swedish society were his primary concerns, as he prepared to celebrate his 60th birthday on April 30.
The royal expressed absolutely no concern about reaching the milestone.
"I feel just as any man might do when he becomes 60," the king told reporters at the royal palace in Stockholm.
(...)
Tens of thousands of Swedes are expected to turn out for the king's birthday celebrations on Sunday, kicking off with the changing of the guard at the palace.
The festivities are due to continue with a lunch hosted by the Swedish parliament at Stockholm city hall, a concert given by the Swedish royal philharmonic orchestra, and a gala banquet at the palace.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060425/en_afp/swedenroyalpeople_060425212909

I think it's unacceptable for Britain not to send anyone. I hope that we'll see some kind of addition to the list.

I knew Beatrix wouldn't let us down.

Yesterday the King and Queen met a group of international media people in Princess Sibylla's Apartment at the Royal Palace. Since it's been impossible to grant all media exclusive one-by-one interviews, the Royal Court organised this big press meet for the international media so that they could get their bit as well.

The first picture is by All Over Press via the Royal Court, picture two is by TT via Norrköpings Tidningar

How can i do that?

Do you know if the Carl Philip's girlfriend will go to the party?

BeatrixFan said:
I knew Beatrix wouldn't let us down.

I like how Queen Beatrix is managing to come to the festivities after her Queen Day celebrations. If Queen Beatrix didn't come, it would be disappointing but understandable. The BRF however....they should send somebody!

I'm glad that Victoria, Carl Philip, and Madeleine's partners are invited to the private party. It would have been inappropriate if they were present at the gala but it's nice that they're included in some part of the celebrations. Can't wait until the festivities begin with all the royals!:)

GrandDuchess said:
Yesterday the King and Queen met a group of international media people in Princess Sibylla's Apartment at the Royal Palace. Since it's been impossible to grant all media exclusive one-by-one interviews, the Royal Court organised this big press meet for the international media so that they could get their bit as well.

more pictures from zuma :

Apr 25, 2006
Stockholm, SWEDEN
KING CARL XVI GUSTAF and QUEEN SILVIA of Sweden during a press conference at the royal palace. The king, born April 30, 1946 celebrates his 60th birthday on Sunday.

so i was looking through the thread on the kings 50 birthday i really hope we will see these kind of photos at this birthday

Thanks again, purple platinum, for those great pictures of the King and Queen.
You really always make my day by posting all those brillant pics! :D

Swedish Prime Minister Goran Persson (R) hands over the Swedish peoples gift, a portrait of King Carl Gustaf by painter Olle Hamngren, to the King himself during the gift reception at the Royal castle in Stockholm, Sweden, Friday 28 April 2006. King Carl Gustaf celebrates his 60th birthday April 30th

from anp

Attachments

• 2969052.jpg
    2969052.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 329
hurrah..hurrah... i think the celebration has started.
Today (Friday, 28 April 2006), the whole family joined King Carl Gustav in receiving his 60th birthday portrait from the government.
Finally, new images of victoria, carl philip, and madeleine...

here's from facetoface :

Attachments

• 00921198.jpg
    00921198.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 624
  • 00921199.jpg
    00921199.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 418
  • 00921200.jpg
    00921200.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 434
  • 00921201.jpg