The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore
No that's not true. Before the marriage Mathilde 's uncle Henri was a count, and his younger brothers were jonkheren (count is a higher title than jonkheer). Mathilde was a jonkvrouw (cfr. 'lady' Mathilde). She has been noble from birth.

At the occasion of the marriage Henri's younger brothers became counts as well, which means that their children became counts and countesses. So they received another (a bit higher) title.

Mathilde's mother has always been a countess, but a mother doesn't pass on a title to her children.

Mathilde's maternal grandmother was a Polish princess Sapieha. A high ranking, but of course not a royal princess.

With this background, Mathilde has always been in touch with an international aristocratic circle.
Mathilde's uncle was a Baron before his marriage and not a Count.
At the day of the marriage Mathilde's father, patrick and his 2 older brother where raised to Counts.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
What's going on with Nikolaos? His face looks all swollen up, he's got huge bags beneath his eyes and his teeth are turning yellow!
That's his Greek heritage coming to the fore...

Old 05-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What's going on with Nikolaos? His face looks all swollen up, he's got huge bags beneath his eyes and his teeth are turning yellow!
He's been looking like that for a while now with the swolleness and the dark bags and circles under his eyes. He seems to be letting himself go a bit as he's getting the beginnings of a girth, too. The yellow teeth are probably from his years and years of smoking.

It's quite disappointing his appearance isn't it?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
He's been looking like that for a while now with the swolleness and the dark bags and circles under his eyes. He seems to be letting himself go a bit as he's getting the beginnings of a girth, too. The yellow teeth are probably from his years and years of smoking.

I have to say I was shocked when I saw his photograph! I haven't seen a picture of him in a while, but the change is tremendous.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz
Thanks for the pics everyone! :)
Mary and Maxima both look stunning, as do Marie-Chantal and Maria-Theresa.
Whoever suggested that Mette-Marit wear that dress should be shot!!!
Still no pictures of the birthday boy and his family (apart from Lillian)??
must agree with you about Mette - Marit's dress it really doesnt do her
any favour's , ( usually I like what she wears) but that out fit isnt at all flattering . shame because her hair and shoes were fab!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit
I adore that crown. I didn't know Mathilde was a commoner.
I meant in general, Mathilde is aristocrat but not a Royal. :)
Old 05-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Courtier

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1146394724 I like her attire, her necklace also wow...Maxima wore the same jewelry which has been wore by queen Betrix in Visit Argentina event http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=176rq.jpg, http://img304.imageshack.us/my.php?i...01572216fx.jpg
Old 05-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

This week's Point De Vue has coverage on the King's 60th birthday

images from pointdevue.fr
Old 05-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

you know what, I kindof like his newfound pudgyness because it shows he knows how to enjoy life (as in, enjoying lots of great Greek food perhaps

To stay with that photograph for a moment, just look at the lady he's accompanying: Mary here is really, in my opinion, a picture of grace and perfection. When I first saw the pictures on this thread, I thought Maxima was the belle of the ball, what with that blood-red gown of hers and that huge tiara. But on second glance, I have to say Mary comes out the winner--seriously, there's not one thing wrong with her look, she really has the regal thing down very very well.

Where Maxima got more instant attention with the loud red gown and the conspicuous tiara (good for her, of course!), Mary really is the real winner here with her sophisticated, understated elegance.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

my memory isn't exactly the one of an elephant, but wasn't Nikolaus the handsome one when they were younger ??

These days Pavlos sure wins the prize as the Greek God.

princess olga > i agree with every word you just wrote.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
you know what, I kindof like his newfound pudgyness because it shows he knows how to enjoy life (as in, enjoying lots of great Greek food perhaps

To stay with that photograph for a moment, just look at the lady he's accompanying: Mary here is really, in my opinion, a picture of grace and perfection. When I first saw the pictures on this thread, I thought Maxima was the belle of the ball, what with that blood-red gown of hers and that huge tiara. But on second glance, I have to say Mary comes out the winner--seriously, there's not one thing wrong with her look, she really has the regal thing down very very well.

Where Maxima got more instant attention with the loud red gown and the conspicuous tiara (good for her, of course!), Mary really is the real winner here with her sophisticated, understated elegance.
Maxima's gown was not loud, it was striking and she looked very attractive. Loud indicates that it was garish and flashy. It was neither. Mary looked very elegant, yes. They both looked beautiful. As for Nikolas, we all age and that is life. I doubt if he sees Greek food frequently at all. I, believe, he has not one drop of Greek blood. He is just aging and not as gracefully as some.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox6
Maxima's gown was not loud, it was striking and she looked very attractive. Loud indicates that it was garish and flashy. It was neither.
there's no right or wrong here. We are all entitled to our own, individual opinions.

I think Maxima's appearance was ''loud'' and quite demanding on the spectators' eyes, as opposed to Mary's appearance who was sophisticated, exquisite and pleasant to our eyes.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn

These days Pavlos sure wins the prize as the Greek God.
I totally agree with you, Nikolaos has let himself go to waste:(
Old 05-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
there's no right or wrong here. We are all entitled to our own, individual opinions.

I think Maxima's appearance was ''loud'' and quite demanding on the spectators' eyes, as opposed to Mary's appearance who was sophisticated, exquisite and pleasant to our eyes.
Mary looked like a shadow of her former sporty self: deathly pale, washed out, frail and looked old with the pearl choker. Maxima looked vivid and stunning with the gorgeous ruby tiara. She carried the tiara so much better than Mary did with her ruby tiara.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 PM

does anyone know if Point de Vue is sold in the US? and if so where? cuz i would really love to get a copy of this issue celebrating the king's birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyy
This week's Point De Vue has coverage on the King's 60th birthday

images from pointdevue.fr
Old 05-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maxima was classy, sexy and perfectly dressed for a festive occassion. Her personality can pull off a dress like the one she wore.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea
does anyone know if Point de Vue is sold in the US? and if so where? cuz i would really love to get a copy of this issue celebrating the king's birthday.
I know it's sold in Canada but don't know for the US
but I found this link where you can subscribe for the magazine if you live in the US
http://www.expressmag.com/pages/prod...pr=1&id=1POVUE
Old 05-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Aristocracy

Conratulations

Congratulations King and Swedish Royal Family:)
Old 05-11-2006, 05:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess
Mary looked like a shadow of her former sporty self: deathly pale, washed out, frail and looked old with the pearl choker. Maxima looked vivid and stunning with the gorgeous ruby tiara. She carried the tiara so much better than Mary did with her ruby tiara.
i believe the ruby tiara (the one from Queen Ingrid) was left behind in Copenhagen ?? i didn't see it on display in Stockholm.

btw; it's quite natural for someone living in denmark to look pale in late april.

i agree a tan and a more colourful dress makes a person look more vibrant at a first glance, but I didn't see any evidence that Mary wasn't feeling well.

To some extent it is a little rude to try to outshine Queen Silvia. Even the Swedish princesses dressed modestly compared to their mother.

But Maxima isn't exactly known as a shy rose, and it probably would look odd if she tried to dress down. I don't really want to criticise her, she's a beautiful lady and I wasn't there so I can't really say what was going on.

I'm sure both Maxima and Mary were comfortable in what they were wearing and enjoying themselves.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
i believe the ruby tiara (the one from Queen Ingrid) was left behind in Copenhagen ?? i didn't see it on display in Stockholm.

btw; it's quite natural for someone living in denmark to look pale in late april.

i agree a tan and a more colourful dress makes a person look more vibrant at a first glance, but I didn't see any evidence that Mary wasn't feeling well.
Did I say Mary felt ill??? No, I didn't. I just said she looked deathly pale, washed out, frail and old - thanks for the pearl choker.

If Swedish princesses could get a tan in Sweden, I'm sure Mary or any other Danish women could get a tan in Denmark. Heck, you don't even have to use a sun tanning bed. There's those sun tan spray I'm sure Mary's "professional skin consultant" knows about. Mary, for some reason, chose to be this deathly pale. And the pale gray lavender made her look completely washed out. She either doesn't have a mirror - which I doubt - or she's surrounded by people who keep telling her she looks good whatever she wears. She doesn't. White lies do not do her any favor.

I brought up the ruby tiara because Mary's ruby tiara never looked right on Mary. It looked too big for her head. Contrary to Maxima, I think Maxima looked far more regal carrying off this ruby tiara than Mary did. I simply disagree that Mary looked more regal as you and some others claimed. She looked washed out and didn't carry herself in a confident way as Maxima did at this occasion.

Tags
ball, birthday, birthday celebration, carl gustav, carl philip, crown princess victoria, european royalty, king carl xvi gustav, lilian, official birthday, prince carl philip, princess lilian, queen silvia, silvia, princess madeleine