King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th Birthday Celebrations: April 28-30, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
barber said:
i think it was prinses victoria of bourbon.

I've corrected my post. I think Emma's dress is better.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Lyle said:
Oh no, that's so sad. I hope she feels better, but it's really too bad that she won't be there.

Does anyone know why Frederik did not go?

I read that Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine of Yugoslavia were supposed to attend the celebrations. So far I haven't seen any photos. :( It turns out Katherine couldn't attend:

HIS MAJESTY KING CARL XVI GUSTAF OF SWEDEN 60th BIRTHDAY
Belgrade 29 April 2006. His Royal Highness Crown Prince Alexander flew this morning to Stockholm to attend the sixtieth birthday celebrations of HM King Carl XVI Gustaf’s. HRH Crown Princess Katherine was unable to go to His Majesty’s birthday due to the sudden illness of her mother in Athens.

Rest of the article: http://www.royalfamily.org/statements/state-det/state-1403.htm

I see (ex- King) Simeon of Bulgaria wearing a few decorations & a sash: are they decorations of the old days of the kingdom or decorations of the "republic" from his recent stint as Prime minister?

Does anyone know?

BurberryBrit said:
I adore that crown. I didn't know Mathilde was a commoner.

Mathilde is not a commoner. She was born into an aristocratic family. Her parents are the Count and Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz. Her maternal grandmother was princess Sophia Sapieha-Kodenska who died in a very tragic car accident in 1997.

Perhaps Hannelor (who knows almost all there is to know about CP Mathilde) can correct me if I am wrong.

redfox6 said:
Princess Victoria and Madeleine could wear paper bags and look good. They are stunning.

Better be careful, some people might say, they just may try that idea...:D

Mathilde1286 said:
Mathilde is not a commoner. She was born into an aristocratic family. Her parents are the Count and Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz. Her maternal grandmother was princess Sophia Sapieha-Kodenska who died in a very tragic car accident in 1997.

Perhaps Hannelor (who knows almost all there is to know about CP Mathilde) can correct me if I am wrong.

You got it right. A pat for your shoulder. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennism said:
You got it right. A pat for your shoulder. :)
She was still a commoner. Thecnically, anyone who isn't royal or enobled themselves is a commoner. She was an aristocrat, yes, but still a commoner. Just like Lady Diana Spencer was an aristocrat but a commoner nontheless at the time of her marriage. Many people confuse being an aristocrat with being noble.

Last edited:
Sean.~ said:
She was still a commoner. Thecnically, anyone who isn't royal or enobled themselves is a commoner. She was an aristocrat, yes, but still a commoner. Just like Lady Diana Spencer was an aristocrat but a commoner nontheless at the time of her marriage. Many people confuse being an aristocrat with being noble.

That's correct for the British aristocracy but I'm not sure whether its true for the Belgian aristocracy.

I have always been certain that Mathilda, although an aristocrat by birth was infact a commoner before her marriage. She was however (as has been noted) the granddaughter of a Princess, but that did not make her royal.

"MII"

mtbcm said:
Hi :)!I think the pictures you are referring to are these
Thanks, I didn't have the magazine to hand, it is Victoria of Bourbon, but it is quite similar, THANKS.

Private party at Drottningholm Palace! From Getty

With those glasses he looks like a mixed combination between clark kent and Harry Potter.

I read somewhere that Mathilde was an "untitled noble" at the time of her marriage. Her parents received the courtesy titles Count and Countess at the time of Philippe and Mathilde's marriage.

Back to the Swedish party -- I think CP Victoria wore the same outfit on Sunday morning that MC wore to Delphine Arnhault's wedding this fall -- did anyone else notice that?

purple_platinum said:
28 April 2006 "From Alienation to Belonging" Seminar at Bernadotte Library
where Youths and youth leaders from all over the country have been invited.
is that Ian Thorpe shaking madeline's hand?

tinLy said:
is that Ian Thorpe shaking madeline's hand?
It does look like him, but I zoomed in and enhanced the image, and it's not. I'm not sure who it is though.

Emily said:
I read somewhere that Mathilde was an "untitled noble" at the time of her marriage. Her parents received the courtesy titles Count and Countess at the time of Philippe and Mathilde's marriage.
No that's not true. Before the marriage Mathilde 's uncle Henri was a count, and his younger brothers were jonkheren (count is a higher title than jonkheer). Mathilde was a jonkvrouw (cfr. 'lady' Mathilde). She has been noble from birth.

At the occasion of the marriage Henri's younger brothers became counts as well, which means that their children became counts and countesses. So they received another (a bit higher) title.

Mathilde's mother has always been a countess, but a mother doesn't pass on a title to her children.

Mathilde's maternal grandmother was a Polish princess Sapieha. A high ranking, but of course not a royal princess.

With this background, Mathilde has always been in touch with an international aristocratic circle.

as for the discussion is Mathilde a commoner or not, I think it's not the same in Britain as on the continent. She's certainly not a "roturière" (commoner) as we say in French.

What's going on with Nikolaos? His face looks all swollen up, he's got huge bags beneath his eyes and his teeth are turning yellow! :eek: :eek:

Hannelore said:
No that's not true. Before the marriage Mathilde 's uncle Henri was a count, and his younger brothers were jonkheren (count is a higher title than jonkheer). Mathilde was a jonkvrouw (cfr. 'lady' Mathilde). She has been noble from birth.

At the occasion of the marriage Henri's younger brothers became counts as well, which means that their children became counts and countesses. So they received another (a bit higher) title.

Mathilde's mother has always been a countess, but a mother doesn't pass on a title to her children.

Mathilde's maternal grandmother was a Polish princess Sapieha. A high ranking, but of course not a royal princess.

With this background, Mathilde has always been in touch with an international aristocratic circle.

Mathilde's uncle was a Baron before his marriage and not a Count.
At the day of the marriage Mathilde's father, patrick and his 2 older brother where raised to Counts.

Hannelore said:
What's going on with Nikolaos? His face looks all swollen up, he's got huge bags beneath his eyes and his teeth are turning yellow! :eek: :eek:

That's his Greek heritage coming to the fore...:D

Hannelore said:
He's been looking like that for a while now with the swolleness and the dark bags and circles under his eyes. He seems to be letting himself go a bit as he's getting the beginnings of a girth, too. The yellow teeth are probably from his years and years of smoking.

It's quite disappointing his appearance isn't it?

Alexandria said:
He's been looking like that for a while now with the swolleness and the dark bags and circles under his eyes. He seems to be letting himself go a bit as he's getting the beginnings of a girth, too. The yellow teeth are probably from his years and years of smoking.

I have to say I was shocked when I saw his photograph! I haven't seen a picture of him in a while, but the change is tremendous.

JessRulz said:
Thanks for the pics everyone! :)
Mary and Maxima both look stunning, as do Marie-Chantal and Maria-Theresa.
Whoever suggested that Mette-Marit wear that dress should be shot!!! :eek:
Still no pictures of the birthday boy and his family (apart from Lillian)??

must agree with you about Mette - Marit's dress it really doesnt do her
any favour's , ( usually I like what she wears) but that out fit isnt at all flattering . shame because her hair and shoes were fab!

BurberryBrit said:
I adore that crown. I didn't know Mathilde was a commoner.

I meant in general, Mathilde is aristocrat but not a Royal. :)

This week's Point De Vue has coverage on the King's 60th birthday

images from pointdevue.fr

Alexandria said:

you know what, I kindof like his newfound pudgyness because it shows he knows how to enjoy life (as in, enjoying lots of great Greek food perhaps ;)

To stay with that photograph for a moment, just look at the lady he's accompanying: Mary here is really, in my opinion, a picture of grace and perfection. When I first saw the pictures on this thread, I thought Maxima was the belle of the ball, what with that blood-red gown of hers and that huge tiara. But on second glance, I have to say Mary comes out the winner--seriously, there's not one thing wrong with her look, she really has the regal thing down very very well.

Where Maxima got more instant attention with the loud red gown and the conspicuous tiara (good for her, of course!), Mary really is the real winner here with her sophisticated, understated elegance.

Alexandria said:

my memory isn't exactly the one of an elephant, but wasn't Nikolaus the handsome one when they were younger ??

These days Pavlos sure wins the prize as the Greek God.

princess olga > i agree with every word you just wrote.

Back
Top Bottom