King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th Birthday Celebrations: April 28-30, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
swedishme said:
if noone has tanslated it yet, i can do it, let me know..( i just havent bothered to read every single post here, its to many, so mayb someone have translated it already)
not yet, swedishme...
please do..., thanks a lot..

I'm very happy to see princess rym in a new way of dressing. She looks wonderful. I think she has read the suggetions on this thread bout her clothes and her hair.

purple_platinum said:
not yet, swedishme...
please do..., thanks a lot..

ooooooooooooook..here we go;)
first of all it's Sofi Fahrman who "graded" the outfits, and well i got my opinions bout her :rolleyes:

Madeleine & Victoria +++++
Matchlessly good-looking! The Sisters was the highlight of the evening with
the hairs up, gleaming tiaras and stylish/elegant gowns. Madeleine's GREY (WTF:confused: ) lacegown matches bigsisters ice blue satin gallantly. A perfect fashion duo.

Queen Silvia ++
Silvia normally shines but this time it was the daughters who won the victory. Bare shoulders is totally right this spring but the flounce edging together with the pale colour pulls down the grade a lot

Mary +++
Fasihoninterested Mary choose an unbacked descrete creation. The design with train suits her figure but the novembergrey colour makes her disappere totally.

State Liquor shop's CEO Anitra Steen (married to the Prime Minister) ++
Better than usually but the colour feels more like Paris Hilton than the Prime MInister's missis. one + for the golden handbag

Sonja +++
Sonja picked pastelgreen just like Lillian. Pastels are one of the fashions must both for men and women. Her jewellery lifts the whole outfit.

CP Sirindhorn, Thiland +
Not one single right. Has she picked a mishmash from all the fairs in Thiland?
This is neither festive nor good-looking

Maud Olofsson (Center party leader) ++
Totally right choice of colour and it suites Maud with a little sleeve. However is the oblique cut and the layers of flounce hideous.

Filippa Reinfeldt +++(married to the concervative party leader)
The turquoise dress suites the suntanned Filippa perfectly. Fun with colour. A simple pony-tail as hairdo has been seen on the catwalk of the summer.

Maxima +++
The most eyecatching gown of the evening. If you wanna stand out from the crowd, red is the right colour. The tulle frays shoudl have been replaced by normal flounce to get a higer grade. The tiara puts a classic dot over the i.

Marie-Chantal ++++
She looks like a Greek goddess in the winning colour of the spring - white. A nice cut matches brilliant with the mediterranean suntan. I'd like this one in the summer.

I think I am the only one who loves Mary´s dress, I love the nude- bare fashion and her jewels were a dream.
She is the most good looking woman there.

The worst MM, i dont understand her style, having the option to wear the best designers she goes dress like a nightmare.

And Victoria her tiara reminds me of the Liberty Statue of united states.
is it me or those two dresses were wore before? (Madeleine and Victoria)

Yes Princess Madeleine has worn her dress twice before. The first time to the Danish Royal wedding in May 2004 the second time at a State Banquet in Sweden in August 2005 and for a third time two days ago on Sunday.

I am not sure if Crown Princess Victoria has worn that particular dress before.

What is up with all theses small tiaras?:( I can hardly see them, Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Mary just to name a few... I wish their mother in laws would give them or buy thema big tiara. It doesn't have to be massive, just something that stands out and we can see. I loved Maxima's I thought it to be the right size and very pretty with the rubies. It seemed like almost everyone went with diamonds this time.

Note to Queens: Lend your daughter in laws bigger jewels!:cool:

In my opinion CP Maxima, CP Mary, and GD Maria Theresa were the best dressed throughout the celebrations. MM should get another designer or do something about who is dressing her. About the BRF, anyone figured out yet why they did not attend?

Hmmmm. I have to say that except for her red skirt with uneven layers at the luncheon, Mary looked gorgeous most of the time. Loved both gowns and the hairdos, and the top, hat, jacket and shoes for the luncheon, just didn't like the skirt. The second gown was a little wishy-washy in color for her, but the fit (and look at those new nursing breasts and how proud she is to have them - she was soooo small on top before!) was so gorgeous, and so was the accessorizing, so a small quibble. Her wedding tiara, which she wore to the big event, is a bit boring but again a small quibble.

I loved Maxima's brown dress with the turquoise jewelry. As someone else mentioned here, I also love brown and pale turquoise - the jewelry was perhaps a bit heavy for the delicacy of the dress but what the heck. I was less partial to her "flamenco" skirted red dress - I think Maxima somewhat plain, to be truthful, and no one with a weak chin and a sallow, indifferent complexion should wear something like that. But she looked festive and it wasn't a complete disaster and her ruby tiara and jewelry were phenomenal.

Pss's. Victoria and Madeleine looked gorgeous, and I was so pleased to see Victoria looking so closely silhouetted and wearing pale blue. I believe that for once she actually outshone her blonde younger sister, which doesn't happen often. Not that Madeleine didn't look fabulous, too.

I hated the yellow green Qn Silvia wore on the big night. It's just a disaster of a color for almost anyone in the world. I always wince when I see it.

Pss. Mathilde uncharacteristically off balance - unmemorable and far less elegant than usual.

And then we come to Metter-Marit . . . so pretty, with such delicate features, lovely skin and she dresses like a housewife playing at being a princess. For heaven's sake what is the problem??!!! Stop hiding yourself woman and pick the hair up.

Rosario Nadal - she's too thin, pick the damn her up PLEASE, and the black dress, while lovely, made her look anemic instead of slim. Her neck and shoulders rose out of it in a rather stork-y way. A disappointment from this usually incredibly elegant woman.

Hated Marie Chantal's Prada number - sorry, but I did. It needs more bosom than she has in front.

Yummy event, yummy photos, my thanks to everyone who put them up.

Now if William and Kate, and Madeleine and Victoria, would just get on with it so we can see more!

CP Mary was the most elegant in all acts, specialy the one with nthe red dress and rise red at the hat....I thing she a very strong woman facing all that without her husband, when te other cp are with her respective husbands....
CP Mathilde looks very elegant too
Princesss cchantal looks as always....beautifull

Karisma said:
I do agree with Daneborn! Princess Christina, sister of King Carl Gustaf, once said, when she conducted an interview some time ago, that she had misgivings about the future for the Brittish Royal house and "what they were involved in". (It was at the time when one or both of the young princes caused scandal by scandal). "I would like to pick up the phone, give them a call an ask them what´s in there minds". I don´t think statements like that convince me that there are "friendly ties" with English royals.
:D :D :D

I would love to be a fly on the wall if that conversation ever took place.

Princess Christina is so laid-back yet she has this natural royal-born style. If anyone could give Queen Elizabeth a lecture it would be her.

HRHAmy said:
What is up with all theses small tiaras?:( I can hardly see them, Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Mary just to name a few... I wish their mother in laws would give them or buy thema big tiara. It doesn't have to be massive, just something that stands out and we can see. I loved Maxima's I thought it to be the right size and very pretty with the rubies. It seemed like almost everyone went with diamonds this time.

Note to Queens: Lend your daughter in laws bigger jewels!:cool:
:D

I agree. It wouldn't kill Margrethe to lend Mary a proper tiara for an event she wasn't even attending herself. And poor Mathilde who only has one tiara, the laurel wreath, which looks like she just won a sports competition.

If anything, the fact that the crown princesses never even get to borrow their mother-in-law's tiaras for a day, it means they might even look forward to the day when the old lady passes away and they can lay their hands on the precious tiaras.

The Swedish Queen keeps the most prominent tiaras to herself but lets the rest of the royal women use all the 'junior' tiaras.

I loved Queen Silvia's green dress. Queen Silvia looks good in almost any colour. I also loved the coral dress she wore when they were greeted by the people outside the castle.

Victoria was beautiful on all occasions.

Princess Madeleine has been out of the country for the past few months so it's only natural she's recycling old dresses.

I loved Mary's green dress and also the beige dress. It suited her very well. The hairstyles with the dresses were really good. The red / white (Dannebrog) lunch combination was ok.

Maxima at lunch and the gala dress :eek: was a disaster.

Mette-Marit was ok. Mette-Marit's feather hat was :confused:

Daneborn said:
:D :D :D

If anything, the fact that the crown princesses never even get to borrow their mother-in-law's tiaras for a day, it means they might even look forward to the day when the old lady passes away and they can lay their hands on the precious tiaras.

The Swedish Queen keeps the most prominent tiaras to herself but lets the rest of the royal women use all the 'junior' tiaras.

I loved Queen Silvia's green dress. Queen Silvia looks good in almost any colour. I also loved the coral dress she wore when they were greeted by the people outside the castle.

Victoria was beautiful on all occasions.

Princess Madeleine has been out of the country for the past few months so it's only natural she's recycling old dresses.

But Victoria and Madeleine are her DAUGHTERS, not her daughters-in-law, so it's logical they get to wear more tiaras than the others, specially Victoria who's the Crown Princess;)

so true. it's probably easier for mother / daughter to agree on these things.

a mother would want her daughter to look her best and be really proud of her. a mother-in-law is probably more concerned that her daughter-in-law will steal the attention.

also, the Swedish family foundation (or whatever it's called) has quite a few tiaras.

if you look in the Danish jewelry box you will find there isn't really that many tiaras to choose from. unless you want to look like a star trek experiment: (upper right picture)

http://www.slaikjaer.com/jewellery/margrethe1.html

crisiñaki said:
But Victoria and Madeleine are her DAUGHTERS, not her daughters-in-law, so it's logical they get to wear more tiaras than the others, specially Victoria who's the Crown Princess;)

Yes, Victoria more than Madeleine can wear any tiara she wants out of the collection except for the Braganca(?), the tiara that Queen Siliva wore for the birthday celebrations. Since Victoria is Crown Princess of Sweden, that is her right. Even Madeleine, who has worn three tiaras so far (I wish she wore more) seems to have more access to tiaras than royal daughter-in-laws and she's only 23. Most likely as crisinaki mentioned, it's because they were born royal. Also keep in mind that they are not the daughters of the heir. Victoria and Madeleine are daughters of the King.

Wonderful pictures of all the Royals.All look amazing & regal when adorned with tiaras & sashes of their order. Thank you for providing them.
Fantastic!!!

I wish Spanish Royals were also in full force for this event. I would surely love to see what Letizia and the Infantas would wear. I especially would like to see Letizia in a hat since she really doesn't wear one. :)

Wow!!! Thanks to all who have posted the wonderful array of pictures!!!!
I love seeing such special gathering of all the different members of the various royal houses coming together...

The jewels are ofcourse to die for and it was hard not to drool seeing the pictures of all the stunning tiaras on display...

On the fashion stakes of the beautiful princesses...
CP Mary did really well with her choices of evening gowns and day outfit - she really glowed as a CP of Denmark and did both her MIL, husband and country proud.

CP MM - well, she did better with her day outfit and i like the understated elegnace of her 2nd evening gown - the purple one. But the dark outfit, well, like many other members i think she cld hve done better!

CP Mathilda was as always elegant and serene, although i didn't really like her choice of red evening gown but her day outfit was very stylish

CP MC day outfit and black evening gown for the private dinner was both stunning and stylish - i especially like the chic white fur wrap but the 2nd evening gown - the white one - was questionable, it seem to be dragging her down.

CP Maxima - only one word - WOW!!!! she was stunning and really carried off the red outfit well.

Prss Rosario was lovely but her choice of evening outfit didn't quite fit into the royal scene - i felt that it was better suited to something of a hollywood celebrities affairs rather than a elegant royal event.

But i feel that the overall winner in every way was the swedish royal ladies!!!

thanks again for posting all the lovely pictures....it seem like everyone enjoyed themselves and had a good time!

I really loved Mary's choices with her gowns. But I think I would have liked it better if she wore the teal one-shouldered gown for the gala instead of for the private dinner. It just had more "POP" to it. And it would have looked great with her tiara.

OK here'e my 2 cents --
Maxima was the star of the show - she just looked bright and cheerful.
Mary - I think the dress was beautifully cut for her figure but the color was drab especially next Maxima, if she had not walked in with them I don't think we would have noticed as much
MM- the color is good for her and the dress is nice, but I would have loved to have seen her hair up
MC - she looked very good, very regal
Mathilde - she would looks graceful in a paper sack - she just can't go wrong, such a beautiful woman.

love love LOVE this laurel leaf crown! Ooooo, I want something like this on my head if I get married one day.

Was anyone from the Liechtenstein RF there? I know they are low key, but surely they go to some events, right? Do they snub or are they snubbed by the other families?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though she only has one tiara I think her tiara is very very pretty and goes with everything.

BurberryBrit said:
love love LOVE this laurel leaf crown! Ooooo, I want something like this on my head if I get married one day.

well, when you look like Mathilde, anything looks good on you;):D

BurberryBrit said:
Was anyone from the Liechtenstein RF there? I know they are low key, but surely they go to some events, right? Do they snub or are they snubbed by the other families?

The Prince of Liechtenstein was there...you can see him in the back of the group picture of all the monarchs together. I think he was the only one from his family though.

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but in that group photo of the younger royals - why is Princess Mary's "sash" worn on the other side unlike the other female royals? Is there a significance to this?

I love the group picture of younger generation of royal families. And for the first time to realize how tall Willem-Alexander is...even taller than Philippe and Haakon.

I don`t really agree with all the critic against MM. I think she looks wonderful. Ok, she has a fuller figur than most of the other princesses, but in my opinion she looks happy and glorious anyway.

acegirl1978 said:
I love the group picture of younger generation of royal families. And for the first time to realize how tall Willem-Alexander is...even taller than Philippe and Haakon.

Most dutch are tall; it is becourse they are eating patatoes :)
I am tall also, and whem we are abroud f.a. in Thailand they always asked us howe many papatoes we eat to become this tall. ;)

ette said:
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but in that group photo of the younger royals - why is Princess Mary's "sash" worn on the other side unlike the other female royals? Is there a significance to this?
I think this was discussed elsewhere and it was said that Mary is wearing a Danish order and the others are wearing other order(s) - and that they were all worn correctly - just differently.

Back
Top Bottom