King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th Birthday Celebrations: April 28-30, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rop81

Courtier
City
Middle of nowhere
Country
Sweden
Aftonbladet today has an article about the celebrations of the kings 60th birthday.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,772101,00.html

Basicly it says that the celebrations is spread over two days, april 28 and 30 (the kings real birthday) with these events:

Friday 28 april:
* The king hosts a workshop in the Bernadotte libarary with about 100 youth from all over the country. The theme is about youth problems such as being left out (bad translation, maybe someone better at english can translate the swedish word "utanförskap").

Sunday 30 april:
* Service in the castle church 10.30
* Changning of the guards 11.30-12.30
* Music performace from Adolf fredriks choir and the "defencemusic" on the lion hill 13.00-13.30
* procession by horse to the cityhall 13.30-14.00
* Lunch held by the Riksdag (parlament) in the cityhall 14.00
* Consert in the hall of state 19.00 with Anne Sofie von Otter, Lisa Nilsson, the Royal Philharmonic orchestra, among others.
* Galadinner in the "white sea" with foreign heads of states and domestic dignitaries ca 21.30

The article says that it´s not clear yet wich foreign dignitaries will be present because the invitations haven´t gone out yet.

Last edited:
Is the King's birthday always a big deal with invitations giong out to foreign dignitaries or is just because it's the 60th? I hope Madeleine can make her father's big 6-0; it would be very sad if she couldn't make it.

rop81 said:
Aftonbladet today has an article about the celebrations of the kings 60th birthday.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,772101,00.html

Basicly it says that the celebrations is spread over two days, april 28 and 30 (the kings real birthday) with these events:

Friday 28 april:
* The king hosts a workshop in the Bernadotte libarary with about 100 youth from all over the country. The theme is about youth problems such as being left out (bad translation, maybe someone better at english can translate the swedish word "utanförskap").

Sunday 30 april:
* Service in the castle church 10.30
* Changning of the guards 11.30-12.30
* Music performace from Adolf fredriks choir and the "defencemusic" on the lion hill 13.00-13.30
* procession by horse to the cityhall 13.30-14.00
* Lunch held by the Riksdag (parlament) in the cityhall 14.00
* Consert in the hall of state 19.00 with Anne Sofie von Otter, Lisa Nilsson, the Royal Philharmonic orchestra, among others.
* Galadinner in the "white sea" with foreign heads of states and domestic dignitaries ca 21.30

The article says that it´s not clear yet wich foreign dignitaries will be present because the invitations haven´t gone out yet.

Thank you for this information, rop81. I must say I´m a little surprised, how "little" the birthday will be celebrated. After all this blabla from ETW (which let me believe the king´s bday will be celebrated like the Mozart-year :rolleyes: ) I expected something big going over 2-3 days and where a trip with the other Royals is included (comparable to their silver wedding or the 60th bday-party of king Harald and queen Sonja in 1997)

Last edited:
soCal girl said:
Is the King's birthday always a big deal with invitations giong out to foreign dignitaries or is just because it's the 60th? I hope Madeleine can make her father's big 6-0; it would be very sad if she couldn't make it.
The King's birthday isn't usually celebrated in this way, the extra celebrations are just in order to mark his 60th birthday. On his "normal" birthdays there is usually a congratulatory ceremony on the court yard with the Defence involved, and people standing around to cheer for him, and children handing over flowers etc. You can take a look at the 2005 birthday of the King to get the idea.

Thank you for this information, rop81. I must say I´m a little surprised, how "little" the birthday will be celebrated. After all this blabla from ETW (which let me believe the king´s bday will be celebrated like the Mozart-year ) I expected something big going over 2-3 days and where a trip with the other Royals is included (comparable to their silver wedding or the 60th bday-party of king Harald and queen Sonja in 1997)
I agree, I'm also surprised that the celebrations won't be grander. But then again, his 50th was really celebrated thoroughly, even occupying the whole Globe Arena for one celebration, and the Silver Wedding was also very special and those celebrations were great. Well well, let's wait and see how they are carried out and then we can judge.

Last edited:
oh, sounds good! Wonder what he will do on the 29th? A private party perhaps with all friends and family :)

60th Birthday Celebrations of King Carl XVI Gustaf (28-30 April 2006)

This thread is reserved for news and pictures concerning the upcoming celebrations of His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden! There will be various events marking his special day, both some more low key events and some big official ones as well.

Please remember to observe the TRF Rules & Guidelines while posting!

Fantastic!...Looking forward seeing all the royals coming to Sweden...jewels and glittering ;)

Will there be a tiara event?

Gita said:
Will there be a tiara event?
There will be a gala dinner on the evening of his birthday at the Royal Palace, so I guess that's the event were we might expect some nice attires to appear. :)

Are there going to be many other royals coming to the party?

robby86 said:
Are there going to be many other royals coming to the party?
So far at the moment, i think there have been posted nearly most all European Royals will be there, and especially Prince William will be there along with his father the Prince of Wales and step-mother the Duchess of Cornwall.

There are no anouncements on who will attend, JUST specualtion, I especially do not think William will be there but thats just a guess

Last edited:
The dutch RF has there own obligations on april 30th, Queensday. And on the 28th I believe they have the annual Queensday concert in Palace Noordeinde. But maybe they will fly to Stockholm in the afternoon so they can show up at the tiara event in the evening, as happened at the Kings 50th birthday (both Beatrix and birthdaygirl, and godmother of the king, Queen Juliana showed up).

Yes, as Larzen said - so far there's only speculations as to which royals will come to Sweden, but I expect that we will see quite a big gathering, hopefully as big as for the King's 50th, but we'll have to wait and see.

I also don't think Prince William will come, he's still not active as a royal in the European royal circles (abroad), so I doubt he would suddenly appear at the King's 60th birthday just like that. But of course it would be wonderful if he did, and then he would also have a chance to meet Princess Madeleine (not implying anything whatsoever of course ;) )

But the gossip magazines would love Prince William and Princess Madeleine to be there at the same time! Can you imagine what nonsense stories they will be coming up with?!

Summary of an Expressen article today

Expressen today reports that instead of the normal, exclusive gifts that the King would be expected to receive from the official Sweden for his 60th birthday in April – His Majesty has made it clear that he does not wish to expand his collection of things/gadgets, instead he wishes for contributions to the newly established foundation that will award scholarships to young leadership talents.

- When we have asked the King what he wishes to have for his 60th birthday, he has made clear that he doesn’t wish to expand his storage of things, but wants to do something for others, comments the Marshal of The Realm, who will lead the fundraising for the foundation Young Leadership.

The leadership award, which is to be called Kompassrosen (The Compass Rose) will be awarded yearly to three young leadership talents. The King will chair the committee who will announce the recipients.

The prizes will be awarded with the Scouting movement’s values as a base, and in the board of this recently established foundation one can find some of Sweden’s most powerful people, among them the President and CEO of Ericsson.

The article from Expressen (in Swedish) can be found here.

Last edited:
From www.kongehuset.no

The King and Queen, The Crown Prince and Crown Princess attends the 60th birthday of HM King Carl Gustaf of Sweden

Larzen said:
The Royal Court has made a special birthday page for the celbrations, not very impressive IMO, especially when you compare it to the british one for Queen Elizabeths birthday.
http://www.royalcourt.se/evenemang/hmk60ar.4.124d504108b48b219780005180.html
Anyways, Many thanks to LENA:) who posted the link on the SRMB
Pffft... A drop in the sea compared to how the BRF's official websites are made... :) But it's a start, a step in the right direction... Hopefully they'll become better and make more efforts around the website, in our day and age it's really important.

Expressen today publishes a guestlist but it seems totally like they made it up, especially the Denmark part is strange

It says, Margrethe, Henrik, Frederik, Mary, Joachim, Alexandra, Elizabeth, Benedikte, Nikolai, Felix will come. As we know all those cant be out of the country for two days, somone has to be regent, and why would Joachims exwife be invited and what would the children do in such a birthday party, and its not like Joachim and ALex are afraid to let the nannies take care of the children

It continues with Norway it says Harald, Sonja, Haakon and Mette-Marit will attend which they will then they say Ingrid and Sverre Magnus will come and then Märtha Louise, ML is currently in USA for a month on tour and wont attend, and why would they bring Ingird:confused: Sverre Magnus is still breastfed so it makes sense to bring him

Then they say Queen Beatrix of Belgium will come:rolleyes: (as we know they have Queensday in the netherlands those days)

Juan Carlos, Sofia and Felipe (nothing about Letizia and why not Leonor when the danes are brining the total package)

Willem Alexander will come (without Maxima) again makes no sense

All in all it seems the expressen jounralist must have been drunk making this list and I doubt it is anything official, it seems more like name all the royal I know in Europe

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=561783

Last edited:
Sounds weird... I guess we just have to wait for the official guestlist :)

About the Danes; perhaps they have the same "rule" as the swedes. As long as the King/crownprincess can be back in the country within a couple of hours (= It takes 2 hours top to get from Stockholm to Copenhagen) its ok for the whole family to be out of the country

Oh Larzen, did you HAVE to spoil the party by your critical nitpicking ?? :D

I was enjoying the thought of all these royals at one place. (Oh no, the perfect occasion for evil, republican people to throw a bomb :eek: )

Queen of Belgium, well she could have been if the Netherlands weren't split.

I guess we just have to wait for a more official guest list to be published.

If Leonor and Letizia and also Maxima and the girls stay at home it makes sense. But Mary and Frederik without Christian are supposed to attend ??

Is the poor bugger on the bottle already :confused:

Larzen said:
Then they say Queen Beatrix of Belgium will come:rolleyes: (as we know they have Queensday in the netherlands those days)
Queen Beatrix had Queen's Day when Carl Gustaf turned 50 as well, but she arrived in Sweden after having taken part in the celebrations in The Netherlands first. So it's not impossible that she will come, she did the last time.

But I agree with you, I think that Expressen's list is mostly speculations. The official gueslist, if there will be one released, will probably not be made public until a few days around King Carl Gustaf's birthday

Daneborn said:
Oh Larzen, did you HAVE to spoil the party by your critical nitpicking ?? :D

I was enjoying the thought of all these royals at one place.
I was to until I started reading it once more, what would children like Nikolai and Felix do in a 60th birthdayparty, there are many years since they were breastfead AFAIK. And Princess Elizabeth, when has she ever attended celebrations abroad? Also I would rude to Joachim to invite his ex-wife for a party like this It seems like the Expressobladet *cough*reporter*cough* just went to the danish royal web page and copied all the names that were there

Daneborn said:
If Leonor and Letizia and also Maxima and the girls stay at home it makes sense. But Mary and Frederik without Christian are supposed to attend ??
Is the poor bugger on the bottle already :confused:
I think Maximas children has been on the bottle(and solids) for along time already, it is no reason for her not to go if her husband is going, the same with Letizia. I ofocurse hope they will all come, more to look at for us;)

BTW billedbladet says that Margrethe and Henrik will go, I dont think they would have written it if it was not confirmed, they are usually right about such things.

Last edited:
Was the list of guests published in the official website? I want Letizia and Maxima to come! Especially if it's going to be a tiaras-dinner. Letizia left Leonor alone a few times, even for a night, so why couldn't she go this time? And Alexia is already a big girl, so she could stay home with nanny and older sister:D

if you think about it, how cute would it be if all the (married) crown princesses / crown princes would take their children (Elisabeth, Gabriel, Emmanuel, Amalia, Alexia, Leonor, Christian, Ingrid-Alexandra, Sverre Magnus and Marius...

and I hope their will be a tiara event.. if all the crownprincesses are there, it means 6 tiara's... (and that is without queens, princesses and infanta's)

wow...

Last edited:
I have to correct myself btw, although the dutch Queensday is always on april 30, when that date is on a sunday we celebrate it the day before! So the Queen can be present on sunday april 30 anyway :)
I do not expect that Letizia and Maxima will be staying home while their husbands are attending the celebrations, probably some mistakes in the guestlist.
I hope it will be as jubilant as the kings 50th birthday party, which was the most glittering occassion of the 90-ties.

Last edited:
Larzen said:
All in all it seems the expressen jounralist must have been drunk making this list and I doubt it is anything official, it seems more like name all the royal I know in Europe

I'm surprised that they didn't put in any deceased royals, too!

The list does seem erratic at best. But I hope that as this is a multi-day celebration, we'll get to see all of the royals show up to celebrate with the King, even if it's for only an afternoon or an evening.

It's not everyday that one turns 60 and certainly the Swedes know how to throw a party, so I'm sure it would be a good time!

Back
Top Bottom