King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia's Marriage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Madrid2006 said:
Here is an articel from "Frankfurter Allgemeine". I will translate the part of JC later when I have time. FA is a serious newspaper in Germany.

Höre mal, König!

Apropos „Fassade”: Wie steht es eigentlich mit jenem Dauerseitensprung, den man vielleicht auch als Doppelleben bezeichnen könnte? In dieser Angelegenheit müssen wir jetzt mit dir, König Juan Carlos von Spanien, mal ein ernsteres Wörtchen wechseln. Stimmt es, daß dir deine „persönliche Freiheit über alles geht”, wie 7 Tage unterstellt? Trifft es zu, daß du „nach Familienfeiern möglichst schnell das Weite” suchst? Daß du gar eine eigene Penthouse-Wohnung unterhältst? Daß dir in dieser Wohnung auch heute noch die Herzen der Frauen zufliegen?

You should have mentioned that this article in the renowned FAZ-Sonntagszeitung is a satire about the way the Yellow Press in Germany
writes about the Spanish king without offering any kind of proof.

Maybe it's the truth what you claim but still I - as a German journalist with a "Royal" hobby - would prefer to have proof in form of pictures or sources that were identified by the quoting and serious newspaper or magazine.

Strange - come to think of it: you sure your name is not Julia and you hail from Stuttgart? Just a weird idea, of course. Sorry for that.... I just wrote it to make you (and others) see how fast an idea gets an attraction of its own....

Yes, Madrid2006 this movie ( thanks for the very good summary )

Yes, I make reference at the scene when I red here and there that the King is very sad because his love PRIVATE affaire. I didn't tell it's the case but I can't to think that this story is becoming too well know with a a true perfum of bad romance; remember also the Lola Montes' story, this women who succeed to bewitch a very serious King ( The LUDWIG II's grand father )

Madrid2006 said:
Tomorrow I will translate some articles from German magazines about Juan Carlos and his doble life. That means: Is it allowed?

To prove what? That King Juan Carlos is not a saint? Besides, are those the same or similar german tabloid magazines Princess Caroline sued and won the case for harrasing her family? Then thanks but no, thank you. Keep them to yourself.

Last edited:
The point is: everybody is human and entitled to make mistakes, but we shouldn't let our mistakes rule us; if he cheated, that only proves he's not perfect and is as weak as the rest of us; has he ever failed his country or his family? has he ever stopped his duty as Spanish Head of State and Embassador to the World? No, then whatever he does behind doors is between him, his concience and his family.

I've read, don't remember if it was on this thread or another that they hated the SRF because they had so many secrets, which secrets if you don't mind me asking? What secrets about Felipe, Elena or Cristina and their significant others?, did they hide the fact that Letizia was married once before?, no, they didn't and it is even stated on their official website.

I think people think that because the SRF is not very propense to big events and scandals, then they are hiding a lot of things; to me they just like to live under the radar as much as they can with their families and children, they haven't gotten involved in dirt and are very sensible, is that a crime? Would you like the SRF to be like the Windsors or Grimaldi (with all due respect to their followers)? I am not saying they are perfect, I'm saying is that they try not to make mistakes as hard as they can because they are aware the role model they should represent to their country.

I have given my point of view and can breathe again;)

Jo of Palatine said:
You should have mentioned that this article in the renowned FAZ-Sonntagszeitung is a satire about the way the Yellow Press in Germany
writes about the Spanish king without offering any kind of proof.

Maybe it's the truth what you claim but still I - as a German journalist with a "Royal" hobby - would prefer to have proof in form of pictures or sources that were identified by the quoting and serious newspaper or magazine.

Strange - come to think of it: you sure your name is not Julia and you hail from Stuttgart? Just a weird idea, of course. Sorry for that.... I just wrote it to make you (and others) see how fast an idea gets an attraction of its own....

First of all: I am sure that my name is not Julia because until today I am still a man.
Second: I just want to put it here to show that even serious newspapers write about JC and his doble life and even if it is a satire (and I also know that it is) the theme must be interesting or nobody would write about it.And behind every gossip is some truths. I know how far a story can go but as I have mentioned before I know the girl very well.
Here is the link for the article:http://www.faz.net/s/Rub501F42F1AA0...D99FFCE46F9CAA1370~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html

crisiñaki said:
The point is: everybody is human and entitled to make mistakes, but we shouldn't let our mistakes rule us; if he cheated, that only proves he's not perfect and is as weak as the rest of us; has he ever failed his country or his family? has he ever stopped his duty as Spanish Head of State and Embassador to the World? No, then whatever he does behind doors is between him, his concience and his family.

I've read, don't remember if it was on this thread or another that they hated the SRF because they had so many secrets, which secrets if you don't mind me asking? What secrets about Felipe, Elena or Cristina and their significant others?, did they hide the fact that Letizia was married once before?, no, they didn't and it is even stated on their official website.

I think people think that because the SRF is not very propense to big events and scandals, then they are hiding a lot of things; to me they just like to live under the radar as much as they can with their families and children, they haven't gotten involved in dirt and are very sensible, is that a crime? Would you like the SRF to be like the Windsors or Grimaldi (with all due respect to their followers)? I am not saying they are perfect, I'm saying is that they try not to make mistakes as hard as they can because they are aware the role model they should represent to their country.

I have given my point of view and can breathe again;)

I did not say that somebody hated the SRF.What I said was: If somebody wroted something for example about Queen Silvia and it is not true, she makes investigationes. It is the same with Princess Caroline. What I mean: Many magazines, not even German, wrote gossip about the SRF. They wrote many lies about Letizia. May question is just: Why do say not do something against it??? Letizia as a former journalist knows the business. The only thing they do was to say that she does not have anorexia. Do you understand what I mean?
Felipe is a proud father. If German magazines write now that Leonor is very ill, why does he not do something against it? They have the power, they have the money. Normally everybody would fight for his family. Another example: Barbara Rey, a Spanish actress, always says in interviews that he had an relation with the most important man in the country. If I would be JC and this is not the trues I would send her to prison. Does the SRF not care about what the people say and the press says? If JC once would have made investigations against a magazines which writes about his affairs, I think then there would not be so many speculations. When "Oggi" showed some photos of him and Marta Gayá in the 90s, he did do nothing. That is why I think that behind every gossip of the SRP is some truths. Maybe they do not do something against it because they are afraid that everything comes out?Ever magazine in Germany wrote that Letizia has anorexia. The Casa Real only wrote a letter to a Spanish newspaper. That is what I can not understand. I would not be proud if they write something bad about me which is not the truths. Maybe soembody can explain to me why the SRF acts like that. Thanks.

They are different ways of acting in countries and circusnstancias different.

The German press writes a lot of lies and if the rides to judgment the only thing that you obtain is to create a scandal and they publicize more. If you leave it to pass ultimately it will reveal itself if it is true or a lie, because everything ends up by revealing itself. Also it is necessary to know difrenciar the serious press, from the yellow press to the one that is better not notice. If your you enjoy reading the yellow press and noticing of what they say, there you.
With the topic of the anorexia, and sun too serious topic and that worries the society, and when the topic was published in a serious newspaper, in then when it was actuated. And it is evident that she did not have it, because but she might have had a daughter ever.

The press is a business, and more when it is a question of pink or yellow press, because they invent many things, and is better not notice them. Because if you they notice the only thing that you obtain it is that they earn advertising and money, and in many occasions you will achieve that they take revenge for you with worse things. Already they have spoken badly about you, and that later a judge to retracting will not use as much, because they will return to attack.
" There is no major scorn that not to do appreciation " Is the most intelligent position. That say what they should want, because in the topic of Letizia, or of Leonor ultimately the images and the time they say the opposite.
The people who believes itself many of the things that this press publishes, is very ignorant, because many of information is improbable.
But there are people in the world whom it likes to recreate in the evil and the foreign misfortune and because of it they notice and comment on these things.

The Monarchies are not famous that sell their life deprived in the magazines, are the Headquarters of their States, and topics more serious enough have that to attend that the inventions of the yellow press. They do not live of their private life, live of doing a work, and the important thing is that they make this work of serious and worthy form. In the personal thing they have good and bad things how the rest of the mortal ones.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean but I can not understand the SRF.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with both of you, there are lots of ugly rumors about SRF, some of them should be left without response as it is nonsense, in other cases I think something should be done.

Last edited:
I think that if I do not have a bad conscience than I can do something against all this rumors even if they are not true. Something strange: Do you know Paul Preston? He wrote a book about Juan Carlos and he wrote about JC's relationship with Marta Gayá. And Paul Preston was invited for an audience. He and JC shake hands and talk. I mean: Do I invite somebody who writes about my affairs if this is not true???:confused: :confused:

Madrid2006 said:
What I said was: If somebody wroted something for example about Queen Silvia and it is not true, she makes investigationes. It is the same with Princess Caroline. What I mean: Many magazines, not even German, wrote gossip about the SRF. They wrote many lies about Letizia. May question is just: Why do say not do something against it???

In life, everyone has to pick and choose their battles. Daily there are false and elaborated stories written about public figures. For every 100 false stories written about Silvia/Caroline/Stephanie/Albert/Maxima or any celebrity or public person, they may sue for one of them. They certainly can't sue for every false or exaggerated story written about them -- they would spend all their time with their lawyers filing lawsuits and spending their money on such matters.

You may hear about the times when Caroline and Ernst have won a case against a paparazzi or when they have successfully sued against a publication, but what about the times they have sued and lost? Or what about the times they just didn't do anything at all?

Madrid2006 said:
Letizia as a former journalist knows the business.

What does Letizia's background in journalism have to do with this? Caroline/Maxima weren't journalists yet they sued publications. Knowing the business and suing people for defaming or slandering you are two separate matters that have nothing to do with each other.

Madrid2006 said:
The only thing they do was to say that she does not have anorexia. Do you understand what I mean?

I think that the only reason the anorexia was addressed was because such comments were getting out of control. At their height they were being cited as the reason why Letizia couldn't get pregnant, and no doubt such comments would've placed stress on Letizia and made it harder if she was trying to get pregnant at the time.

It was the public's stress and the Japanese media's overly-concentrated interest and pressure in Crown Princess Masako getting pregnant that resulted in her miscarriage. I'm sure that the Spanish royal court would've wanted that to happen to Letizia.

Madrid2006 said:
Felipe is a proud father. If German magazines write now that Leonor is very ill, why does he not do something against it? They have the power, they have the money. Normally everybody would fight for his family.

Looking at recent pictures of Leonor, even a layman without a medical can see how ridiculous such a story is. Look at all the stuff that was published because Leonor had a red mark on her nose at her baptism. Again, it's about picking your battles. Just because they have power and money doesn't mean that they should wield it for something so trivial as the German gossip press. Wouldn't it be better if they used such power and money to bring about change on a social or economical level for Spain?

Madrid2006 said:
Another example: Barbara Rey, a Spanish actress, always says in interviews that he had an relation with the most important man in the country. If I would be JC and this is not the trues I would send her to prison.

Does she explicitly say that the most important man in the country whom she had relations with is the King? "The most important man in the country" could be perceived as different men in Spain.

And what would be the point of sending her to prison? To me, sending someone to prison for something like that speaks of a power trip, and King Juan Carlos does not strike me as such a man. Afterall, after the death of Franco, the King could've taken Spain in a completely different direction and could've had much greater powers than he does now. Instead, he fought hard for democracy and fairness for Spain and Spaniards.

Madrid2006 said:
Does the SRF not care about what the people say and the press says?

Just because the family doesn't sue for every wrong word against them, doesn't mean they don't care. Maybe they just have better things to do -- like representing Spain.

Madrid2006 said:
If JC once would have made investigations against a magazines which writes about his affairs, I think then there would not be so many speculations.

That's not true. The media will continue to write and publish whatever sells them magazines. If the family sues for saying that Leonor is ill, then the media will write that Letizia is very sick. If the family sues for that then the media will write that one of Cristina's kids or Elena's kids is sick. Then where does it all stop? The press will keep inventing lies and the royal family will keep suing -- to what end and to serve what purpose?

Caroline and Ernst have sued the German press how many times now? And have we seen a stop to the lies or gossip printed about them or their family? No -- that is why they keep having to sue!

Madrid2006 said:
When "Oggi" showed some photos of him and Marta Gayá in the 90s, he did do nothing. That is why I think that behind every gossip of the SRP is some truths. Maybe they do not do something against it because they are afraid that everything comes out?

What might come out exactly? I'm not saying that everybody in the family is perfect or pure, they are human afterall and have done things they are not proud of or are embarassed by. But for the King and Queen, Felipe and the Infantas who have lived their entire life in the public eye, I hardly think that much about them is that private now. And when Letizia became engaged to Felipe, all the media tried to find skeletons in her closet.

Madrid2006 said:
Ever magazine in Germany wrote that Letizia has anorexia.

Yes, because the German magazines are so reliable we should've believed them. Apparently their journalists are also doctors and experts on eating disorders then?

Madrid2006 said:
The Casa Real only wrote a letter to a Spanish newspaper.

The Spanish royal family has only obligations to Spain and the Spanish people. Why address the people of another country over lies or falsehoods about Letizia?

Madrid2006 said:
That is what I can not understand. I would not be proud if they write something bad about me which is not the truths. Maybe soembody can explain to me why the SRF acts like that. Thanks.

A few reasons off the top of my head:
1) The family is above all this. They know what is true and what isn't, and that's good enough for them. Why do they need to prove untrue what the press writes about them? Their characters are reflected in their work and their ethics, whether the press writes that this person is ill or that this person had an affair is irrelevant.

2) They don't read all the stuff that is written about them. Given their busy schedules, if they are reading newspapers or magazines, I doubt that the first thing the King or Queen, the Prince or Princess of Asturias picks up is the rag sheets or the gossip pages. Many celebrities say they don't anything about themselves because it angers them too much, perhaps this is the case here, too.

Madrid2006 said:
I think that if I do not have a bad conscience than I can do something against all this rumors even if they are not true. Something strange: Do you know Paul Preston? He wrote a book about Juan Carlos and he wrote about JC's relationship with Marta Gayá. And Paul Preston was invited for an audience. He and JC shake hands and talk. I mean: Do I invite somebody who writes about my affairs if this is not true???:confused: :confused:

Seems you talk to everyone but me. Typical tactic to avoid forum members that can expose trolls. The more you talk the more transparent you become to us.
If that's the case then let me bring you down to size :cool:.

Our King Juan Carlos has a lot of enemies that do spent considerable amount of time placing rumors and encouraging half baked stories to continue being spread only to encourage people in Spain that are against the government. Your fervor trying to get that garbage online proves only that your intention is not expose a person for the alleged things you claim but to throw dirt at a member of a royal house. And being indiferent to the opinion of RF members and administrators only shows that your intention is not to listen but to put garbage online for tabloids to use places like this Forum as reference, their so called 'secret sources'. Spain has enough spanish language forums that have made slandering royals an art form, was the traffic slow in those places of hate that you decided to stray your way to other forums?

We've seen your kind before, for some of you the target is the Spanish Royal Family, for others the British and others go after the Danish Royal family. Whatever agenda you have in mind is not going to fly around here with us.

Last edited:
We like to have civilized conversations and if anyone is gonna tell anything that person should have strong basis to do it, reports from credited media not from that german garbage magazines whose editors spend more time in court rooms than working.

Madrid2006, you shouldn't ignore our comments, we see your point of view and out of respect you should look at ours instead of attaking the SRF without any proof except for "I've heard" or "someone told me", the royal house has much more important things to do than listen whatever s**t people told about them, if they payed attention to that, there will not be any representation of the country.

Please be polite and present actual proof of your statements or please leave the topic alone, we don't have the time to go on an on with a topic that has been talked to death and nothing new has appeared.

Thank you very much

Crisinaki, I think Madrid2006 has something else in mind by coming over here to post those statements and pretend to be deaf to reasoning.

Toledo said:
Crisinaki, I think Madrid2006 has something else in mind by coming over here to post those statements and pretend to be deaf to reasoning.

Yeah, there have been a lot of hijacking in TRF lately:mad:

I would like to say something to all these posts. It is and it was not my intention to put out garbage. I would like to hijack a forum and I completely disagree with other forums like Cotilleando or other stuff. Maybe I did not express myself very well and everybody misunderstood what I wanted to say. The example I give, e.g. Barbara Rey, just should show how far even Spanish Television goes to put gossip on Juan Carlos. I like the Spanisch Royal Family and therefore I am so angree about what's always in the magazines and I can not understand why they do nothing against it. I completly accept your opinions but I think that everybody also should accept my opinion. You can find Paul Preston's book in every bookstore, I do not know if there are some parts of it in the Internet. If you need a proof for the Marta Gayá story. If this forums is a place to discuss and change opinions then I think we should do this. But why is everybody so angry with me? Can I not say my opinion and give examples? The world is not just rose and nobody is a Saint, not the members of the SRF, not you all and not I.

I also would like to say something to you, Toledo.First I take not part in any conversation in other forums which only write ****. Second I will not put garbage on somebody. And third: in this thread somebody wrote what he read in the press and Internet about Juan Carlos girlfriends, e.g. Anne Igartiburu, Barbara Rey, Marta Gaya. The person wrote all the names without giving any proof. It was copied from other forums. But nobody here becomes angry. So, I accept your opinions but,please, than everybody here should be treated the same. You can not make such an affront from what I wrote and than let other people put gossip here. The best thing would than be that you close such a gossip. Other people also wrote here that "they heard" and that "somebody told" them. So we should just going on by talking about the facts the Royal Houses present to the us and close every topic that puts out gossip.

This is a never ending vicious circle and the media will do what they have to do to sell papers, magazines, etc. I agree with Alexandria in where does the sueing/lies end. These stories only become more popular or widely known because we as a people keep buying into it. We're are the ones being duped! And what choice do we really have since we are trying to learn more about royal families? Another soliloquy: To buy or not to buy, that is the question. I'm sure that some of these stories require the attention of the royal family and that their legal counsel advises what's worth pursuing and what isn't with the understanding that there will be another headline the following day or week. Again, its a never ending vicious circle.:(

Oggi claims that king Juan Carlos lives with Corinna in London and will get married with her after the divorce from queen Sofia.
Juan Carlos di Spagna divorzia da Sofia vive già con l’amante Corinna Larson People

Say what?!?

Whoever predicted that in a "what will happen in 2014" poll could have won the jackpot ;)

That said, imo K.Juan-Carlos and Q.Sofia have no reason to divorce (they have plenty of properties to never ever have to see eachother again without getting divorced), except if either wants to remarry. And when you say remarry, the most likely option is JC and Corinna..
(she's almost 50, I think, so at least he very likely doesn't *have* to get married because he got her pregnant ;) imagine the gossip-columns that would fill)

:previous:And sometimes when there is smoke there is fire so,

Maybe he, JC, could just go away and live his life with whomever.

I am glad that King Felipe and Queen Letizia are the representatives of Spain now. I very much admire Queen Sophia for she is a strong lady who does Spain proud. Whatever happens in the future I hope all the best for the royal family of Spain.

When we look to his former "colleague" Princess Beatrix: she lives on her privately owned estate, in a beautifully restored countryside mansion. However the Government spends nearly 4 million Euro to refurbish Noordeinde 66 (a city mansion next to, and connected with, Noordeinde Palace in The Hague) as a pied-à-terre for the Princess. Not for living, just for when she is in The Hague and receives guests, then she can do that in surroundings which befit her position as former Sovereign. Also her particulier secretariate will have offices in that mansion.

I think I can follow the way the Dutch Government thinks. King Juan Carlos is the former Sovereign. He needs a place and an office which fits to his stature as former Sovereign.

Pic: the monumental Louis XV-style mansion for Princess Beatrix is in scaffoldings: http://haagspraak.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/20131203_31471.jpg She can retreat there when she is in The Hague, can receive her guests in a splendid interior, has her own staff, offices, etc. Despite having abdicated as Queen, she of course holds a high status and apparently it was thought "fitting" to have an own office rather than making use of Noordeinde Palace, Huis ten Bosch Palace, the Royal Palace Amsterdam or other royal residences. It has a considerable prize tag but so far the upset seems not to be too big.

Last edited:
The Court has not issued any communiqué, no any serious Spanish newspaper or serious Spanish TV-channel has brought the news, which would have been absolutely breaking news when it was true. So it is a canard.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2711177.html

The above link contain various Spanish mass media links saying that (1) the affair between Corinna and King Juan Carlos has come an end, and (2) Corinna is rumoured to receive handsome payoff for her silence.

If the links are against TRF rules, it would be kind of moderators to delete the post.

Last edited:
Queen Sofia doesn't deserve having to have her private hurts paraded in public. I feel deeply for that good woman. Her husband became king by the "skin of his teeth" and although did well for Spain 30 years ago, morally he was nothing less than bankrupted. Publically he would genuflect to the Church, privately he would disrespect on many counts. I strongly believe in KARMA and Queen Sofia will have a future peaceful and precious life. JC, who cares.

Back
Top Bottom