The Abdication of King Juan Carlos: June 18, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
The Abdication of King Juan Carlos
June 18, 2014

NDKQM8R.jpg

Last edited:
Originally posted by Lula

June 18- King Juan Carlos signs abdication law

- The event will be held in the Hall of Columns of the Royal Palace at 18:00

- Queen Sofía, Prince and Princess of Asturias, infanta Leonor, infanta Sofía, infanta Elena, infanta Pilar and infanta Margarita will attend.

- About 160 guests: High Authorities of State, former presidents of Government, dean of the Diplomatic Corps,political and military authorities, "parents" of the Constitution, spanish Knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece, board member of the Greatness and representatives of the Royal "Maestranzas".

- King Juan Carlos and Mariano Rajoy, Prime Minister, will sign the law

- King Juan Carlos will not deliver a speech

The RF arrived at the palace at another entry, the guards fire 21 cannon shots to salute the king.

Letizia in black & white.

Last edited:
Felipe and his family has arrived.
I would've hoped for a more colored outfit on Letizia but nevertheless black and whit evan be very classic.

Has the King & Queen arrived?

Princess Letizia repeats the dress of Cervantes lunch, I think Queen Sofia also repeats suit.

Any pictures?

Leonor and Sofia look a bit overwhelmed..
Btw, Letizia's wink..

Last edited:
Letizia looks very tense, I don't blame her.
The girls look adorable!

The man reading the speech of JC has a word of graditude to the Queen.

I noticed the wink of Letizia to her daughters too, Charlotte Aster.

The king signed, received a kiss from his wife and hugged his son. Felipe and JC changed seats. A long applause and Leonor and Sofia give their grandfather a kiss.

I just spotted Queen Anne Marie and the duke and duchess of Calabria.

Last edited:
It's so sad! King Juan is so emotional.
I liked how he moved over so Felipe can take his seat.

Surely he has been the most consequential monarch of the last half century. What a man.

ladongas said:
Surely he has been the most consequential monarch of the last half century. What a man.

Indeed he was. I recall my Spanish teacher who spoke a few times about JC and got tears in her eyes and ended by exclaiming 'what a man, what a man' (standing up to the coup). That was before the scandals though.

--
Q. Anne Marie in blue, was seated on the first row on the right , I suppose with her husband. And next to her a young man/boy (Froilan?) and next to him a bold man resembling king Simeon. They were only shown from the back but later followed the RF when they left the room.

Seated behind the infanta Pilar was Infanta Alicia, nee Pss of Parma, mother of infante Carlos and aunt-by-marriage of King JC. She must have been the only royal attending who was still alive during the reign of Alphonso XIII.

Last edited:
Well, at least Letizia didn't wear a pants suit. She looked O.K. .... hope she does a bit more tomorrow. Today's best dressed is a three-way tie: Leonore, Sofia, and their Aunt Elena -- she looks better than she has in a very long time.

So, is the Prince of Asturias already King?

JC was clearly very emotional The body language between JC and Letizia seems to indicate that there is little love lost between them.

JC was clearly very emotional The body language between JC and Letizia seems to indicate that there is little love lost between them.

As there is little love between JC and Sophia.

A rather dignified hand over than anything. Spain have a very beautiful and young royal family.

An unforgettable event unfolding as I watched (4am here!).
I feel for the little girls, I hope the years are kind to them.
God bless the whole family.

Back
Top Bottom