The Abdication of King Juan Carlos: June 18, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched the live and it's particularly moving when JC exchanged seats with Felipe

It was quick and easy. But very emotional and beautiful. Juan Carlos looks so frail.

So, is the Prince of Asturias already King?

Not yet. The abdication law will come into force at midnight local time (22:00 GMT). Only then will Felipe be King.

A very lovely ceremony with much emotion - it was nice to see Queen Sophia pat King Juan Carlos on the back. Felipe looked very serious, but very kingly indeed. I will save my comments about Queen Letizia's outfit for her fashion thread :sad:

Has anyone been able to locate a photo of Queen Anne-Marie and (possibly) King Constantine?

I'm not the closest watcher of the Spanish Royal Family, so could someone tell me if there is any suspicion that JC's abdication has just as much to do with declining health as it does w/the scandalous situations surrounding his daughter and son-in-law? Just looking at him, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sicker than is publicly acknowledged. JMHO!

It was a combo of things that lead to this abdication.

a new chapter begins!

i wonder what's going on in felipe and particularly in letizia's mind. i guess felipe had his whole life to get used to the idea he would be king, but for letizia in the last 10 years she went from being a private person to being queen of spain....

JC was clearly very emotional The body language between JC and Letizia seems to indicate that there is little love lost between them.

do you mean that JC and letizia seem to get on well?

Seeing the pictures brought me to tears. Although I think it is time for him to step aside (for many reasons), it's still a heart wrenching occasion. Especially the one of Juan Carlos kissing Leonor. What a sweet moment.

So emotional moments for the whole family...GOD bless them all.

I plead ignorance, I've never seen a Spanish abdication before. I'm surprised it's so informal. :sad:

It was a simple, dignified and solemn ceremony. The king was frail and emotional. Felipe looked ready to be a king, Letizia looked first a little tense which is easy to understand. The girls looked lovely. To me the relationship between the king and Letizia is just fine, like we have seen from photos during the years.

A rather dignified hand over than anything. Spain have a very beautiful and young royal family.

I agree. The entire family was very solemn with a few exceptions: JC and Elena were fighting back tears, Letizia's wink to her Infantas and the hugs/kisses with the Infantitas and their abuelos.

I know there have been some scandal in the past/present, but I still felt bad for Juan Carlos. He looked so tired and sad.

I know there have been some scandal in the past/present, but I still felt bad for Juan Carlos. He looked so tired and sad.

I agree. No matter what you personally feel about royals or Spain, this type of situation is still heart-breaking. Anyone with a drop of kindness and sympathy for Juan Carlos and Sofia got choked-up today watching this event pan out. He looked very sad and Sofia was, as usual, dignified. I sincerely hope that Spain will flourish under their new King.

I just watched the video of the ceremony and thought that, although it was very simple, it was also very moving. You could really see the emotion on Juan Carlos' face (it seemed like a very bittersweet moment), and I could see Felipe taking it in, too. I certainly thought it was very touching when Juan Carlos and Felipe switched chairs and there were hugs and kisses exchanged - having such a simple ceremony really makes such moments stand out. And I noticed that Letizia seemed to have her eyes on her daughters throughout much of the ceremony, which I thought was very sweet.

I agree. No matter what you personally feel about royals or Spain, this type of situation is still heart-breaking. Anyone with a drop of kindness and sympathy for Juan Carlos and Sofia got choked-up today watching this event pan out. He looked very sad and Sofia was, as usual, dignified. I sincerely hope that Spain will flourish under their new King.

As much as this is a very touching moment for Spain and for all of its people, I have to think it is also a very heartwarming and proud moment for JC and Sophia as they hand over the highest spot of the monarchy to their eldest son. It is a ceremony of a rite of passage that quite a few monarchs never get to see.

Regardless of mistakes, scandals and whatever in the family, they are still family and those bonds remain forever. I hope that JC and Sophia spend many years watching and supporting King Felipe and Queen Letizia do the best that they can do for Spain and its people.

Back
Top Bottom