The Abdication of King Juan Carlos: June 18, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was a simple, dignified and solemn ceremony. The king was frail and emotional. Felipe looked ready to be a king, Letizia looked first a little tense which is easy to understand. The girls looked lovely. To me the relationship between the king and Letizia is just fine, like we have seen from photos during the years.

I agree, it was a dignified, solemn ceremony for a King that has worked and represented Spain and the Spanish people. At first I wondered why he did not kiss Letizia, but he is very fragile, I understood that when I saw him falling to the chair when Leonor and Sofía came to hug him and kiss him. It was time for Juan Carlos to abdicate, he has done his level best.:spainflag:

Despite the quibbles with his romantic life, and PERCEIVED collusion in the Noos affair, Juan Carlos will go down in history as one of Spains greatest monarchs, a man who guided his country from an antiquated military dictatorship to a modern vibrant democracy. His wife as played her difficult hand faultlessly and has proved herself as great as he.

I hope and pray King Felipe V1 and Queen Letizia have a great and glorious reign, and that Spain will prosper and flourish anew !

You always articulate my own thoughts so well. As a lover and student of European history I have mixed feelings about today's proceedings. I feel sad to see J-C go out like this but I understand why he is doing it.

I can't wish for anything except the Lord's blessings on the new King and Queen and their beautiful children, and on the Spanish people.

I agree, it was a dignified, solemn ceremony for a King that has worked and represented Spain and the Spanish people. At first I wondered why he did not kiss Letizia, but he is very fragile, I understood that when I saw him falling to the chair when Leonor and Sofía came to hug him and kiss him. It was time for Juan Carlos to abdicate, he has done his level best.:spainflag:

He was a good king and did a great deal for his nation. He should be applauded.

The King is suffering alone , no look to Queen Sofia who was his Queen for 39 years!
and the banned infanta Christina . Pathetic !!

Pathetic is what Christina and her Husband did to the People of Spain, as well as the Monarchy of Spain. The Damage of their actions is still being felt and will be for quite sometime. Not being invited to take part in the events regarding the Abdication and Succession is called having to deal w/the consequences of your actions.

They got caught using the power and privilege of Christina being a HRH Infanta of Spain gave them and took advantage of the very people she was supposed to help and protect as an Infanta of Spain, the Spanish People. I'm not crying any tears she's not there, as she's reaping what she sowed and I have a feeling most of the Spanish people feel the same way.

Was present at the abdication:

1. HM King Juan Carlos I, The King of Spain
2. HM Quenn Sofia, The Queen of Spain
3. HRH Infante Felipe of Spain, The Prince of Asturias
4. HRH Infanta Letizia of Spain, The Princess of Asturias

5. HRH Infanta Leonor of Spain
6. HRH Infanta Sofía of Spain
7. HRH Infanta Elena of Spain, The Duchess of Lugo
8. HRH Infanta Pilar of Spain, The Duchess of Badajoz
9. HRH Infanta Margarita of Spain, The Duchess of Soria and Hernani
10. HE Don Carlos, The Duke of Soria and Hernani
11. HRH Infanta Alicia of Spain, The Dowager Duchess of Calabria
12. HRH Infante Carlos of Spain, The Duke of Calabria
13. HRH Infanta Anne of Spain, The Duchess of Calabria

14. HM King Costantine II of Greece
15. HM Queen Anne Marie of Greece
16. HE Don Felipe de Marichalar y Borbón

And I also saw sister of Queen Sofia - Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark. She sat behind HRH Infanta Margarita of Spain, The Duchess of Soria and Hernan. Princess Irene has lived in Spain in an apartment at the La Zarzuela Palace in Madrid so I am sure that she was there.

Last edited:
He was a good king and did a great deal for his nation. He should be applauded.

He certainly should. However, I predict that it won't be until long after his death that people of Spain realize it.

Juan Carlos has himself to blame for everything that has happened, all the scandals, lovers, alleged paternity tests and let's not forget the safari. Many believe he knew about the corruption scandal as well. It was a moving and dignified ceremony, but I do not feel sorry for him.

Juan Carlos has himself to blame for everything that has happened, all the scandals, lovers, alleged paternity tests and let's not forget the safari. Many believe he knew about the corruption scandal as well. It was a moving and dignified ceremony, but I do not feel sorry for him.

How heartless. He is in no way to blame for his daughter and son-in-law's misdeeds, if they have committed any crimes, it certainly seems to have been dragged out to damage HM. The hunting trip "scandal" is bogus, it was a privately funded trip and should be of no consequence. As for the alleged affairs, he is human and therefore not perfect, but he was a GREAT King. He always wanted the best for his people and served them well. When it came to being King he did a great job and I feel history will judge him thusly.

What a lovely informal ceremony,thank goodness for the girls. I too believe that jc health is the reason, he looks very ill

After watching the video, I am not sure JC is at peace with his decision.

However, I do think it for the best.

The ceremony choked me up. I was in High School when he came to power and always admired him for his dedication to Spain and bringing the Spanish people freedom. I wish he had left on a high note. All reigns have low points but this was heartbreaking. Contrast this ceremony with that of Princess Beatrix handing her throne over to King Willem-Alexander. The joy Beatrix had in handing the job over to her son, and the joy in his face and the cheers of their subjects. It was wonderful and uplifting. I wish JC could have had the same kind of exit. See Beatrix and Willem-Alexander below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH4FEGVAa6g

Pathetic is what Christina and her Husband did to the People of Spain, as well as the Monarchy of Spain. The Damage of their actions is still being felt and will be for quite sometime. Not being invited to take part in the events regarding the Abdication and Succession is called having to deal w/the consequences of your actions.

They got caught using the power and privilege of Christina being a HRH Infanta of Spain gave them and took advantage of the very people she was supposed to help and protect as an Infanta of Spain, the Spanish People. I'm not crying any tears she's not there, as she's reaping what she sowed and I have a feeling most of the Spanish people feel the same way.
:)You said that extremely well, those are my very thoughts on Cristina and her husband. What is really the shame, their children will suffer because of their actions, and I hope she and her husband are really thinking long and hard about what they did. If they are watching this on TV I hope they are feeling the regrets big time. Their selfishness and greed has brought them down and put a huge mark on the monarchy. They are adults and they used their family and parents to do as they please, we can't chose our families in life, but we can chose our friends who can become family. Even some members of a family such as them, should never be trusted or allowed to rejoin the family, sometimes things can be just so horrible to a family by another family member that they can't be forgiven. And certainly never forgotten!

I have disliked JC for a long time now, and for me cheating on your spouse says something about your character and he killed an innocent elephant and that is just as bad if not worst (don't know which is worst in my book), yet today in watching this, can't believe I felt sorry for him, he is so frail and sickly looking, and I think it has finally all caught with him.

Your very right in your comment, yet and I think many here know how I feel about this man, I have to admit I did feel sorry for him, and now I think all this has finally caught up with him emotionally and mentally. Those in itself can take a huge toll on the physical part of a body.....he is clearly suffering. What I find is that he did not acknowledge his wife after all these years, couldn't he at least look or smile at her? Sad he ended his reign like this, very sad indeed!

How heartless. He is in no way to blame for his daughter and son-in-law's misdeeds, if they have committed any crimes, it certainly seems to have been dragged out to damage HM. The hunting trip "scandal" is bogus, it was a privately funded trip and should be of no consequence. As for the alleged affairs, he is human and therefore not perfect, but he was a GREAT King. He always wanted the best for his people and served them well. When it came to being King he did a great job and I feel history will judge him thusly.
Excuse me, the hunting trip was privately funded and of no consequences, regardless of who funded the trip he went when his country Spain, was suffering. He had his picture taken with a DEAD ELEPHANT and yes there should be a consequence for that, you don't kill animals that are dying off, there aren't that many left in this world to begin with. Good grief, an elephant is just as important on this earth as you and I are!
Yes, he as you said *WAS* a great king in his earlier years and all his pomp and ego attitude has done him in and it is the one to blame, no one else. It's his behavior and attitude, not the behavior and attitude of anyone else, he was the King! I do feel sorry for him, (a bit) because he did all this himself and made poor decisions.
Alleged affairs, lolololo, and how many women there there? When a man/woman cheats on their spouse it says something about their character and it's not pretty, it hurts many people not just the wife/husband!

So the King can not take a vacation when the economy is down? What about all the politicians who actually helped bring down the economy? And you make it sound like he was an elephant poacher, there are times when preserves have to thin the herd, a very different thing. I personally do not support elephant hunting any more than I do bull fighting, but that is me, other cultures feel differently. And NO, elephants are not just as important as people.

As for his marital problems, I have no idea if they are real or not, but that is between him, his wife and God. The fact remains he served his people well, and this was a sad way for his reign to end.

I don't think the scandal over the hunting trip was mainly the financing of it. It was because of this safari and hunting elephants that he was ousted as a honorary president of the World Wildlife Foundation. He was hunting an animal that is on the endangered species list for the WWF. I don't blame them for ousting him for this.

King Juan Carlos of Spain ousted from WWF presidency after row over hunting trip - Telegraph

Last edited:
King Juan Carlos abdicated | Blogs•Spletnik.ru

The atmosphere is cordial fake. The Spanish royals leave an unpleasant impression.

The affection between JC and son and Sofia and son doesn't seem fake to me. Same with JC and the girls. But it is striking to see no interaction between JC and Letizia or even Sofia and Letizia. None. No hugs, no eye to eye contact. It's very sad. Or maybe your way of putting it is best...it leaves a very unpleasant impression.

So the King can not take a vacation when the economy is down? What about all the politicians who actually helped bring down the economy? And you make it sound like he was an elephant poacher, there are times when preserves have to thin the herd, a very different thing. I personally do not support elephant hunting any more than I do bull fighting, but that is me, other cultures feel differently. And NO, elephants are not just as important as people.

As for his marital problems, I have no idea if they are real or not, but that is between him, his wife and God. The fact remains he served his people well, and this was a sad way for his reign to end.
To me all of God's creature's are important on this earth and we humans have a brain and we use it to destroy each other and the 4 legged animal. So I cut an elephant as just as important as some of the humans on this earth, some humans have no compassion or understanding of the animal kingdom(the 4 legged ones) as for the 2 legged animals (humans) well we sure don't use the brains that we have for the benefit of all creature's, only for our own selfish needs and wants. FYI I am a huge 4 legged animal creature as none of those have ever hurt, abused or tortured me, yet I can't say the same for the 2 legged animal.
It's a known fact for decades now on how he treated his wife, this is not news of today, some German woman even came out and said so, can't remember the article just thought it was tasteless to say the least. Doing that shows his or everybody's character when they do that..........
Sometimes people here can sure make waves with others when they make a point that steps on toes.

The affection between JC and son and Sofia and son doesn't seem fake to me. Same with JC and the girls. But it is striking to see no interaction between JC and Letizia or even Sofia and Letizia. None. No hugs, no eye to eye contact. It's very sad. Or maybe your way of putting it is best...it leaves a very unpleasant impression.

I think that the king didn't hug Letizia because he almost fell to his chair and was very frail. Every step without his cane seemed to be a huge effort for king Juan Carlos. Some steps further might have made him fallen down. We have seen from numerous photos that the relationship between the queen and Letizia is very warm, and between the king and Letizia the relationship is just normal.

:previous:When I saw him almost fall with his granddaughter's in front of him, I saw how frail he was. PL reached out to help steady him, he clearly is ill. It really is very sad how this all came about, still can't believe he left.

And I also saw sister of Queen Sofia - Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark. She sat behind HRH Infanta Margarita of Spain, The Duchess of Soria and Hernan. Princess Irene has lived in Spain in an apartment at the La Zarzuela Palace in Madrid so I am sure that she was there.

Princess Irene may have been present, but the lady behind Infanta Margarita was the Duchess of Calabria.

Excuse me, the hunting trip was privately funded and of no consequences, regardless of who funded the trip he went when his country Spain, was suffering. He had his picture taken with a DEAD ELEPHANT and yes there should be a consequence for that, you don't kill animals that are dying off, there aren't that many left in this world to begin with. Good grief, an elephant is just as important on this earth as you and I are!

plus, let's not forget that king juan carlos was patron to WWF SPAIN. and then he goes out killing elephants. that just throws all my respect to the floor as i (and other spanish people) can clearly see he "doesn't practice what he preaches" and that he was in it, at least at the end of his mandate, because of all the benefits it brought to him and his family. so the fact that the trip was "privately funded", Admiral Horthy, is of extreme irrelevance in this issue.

needless to say, WWF spain took less than a couple of days to sack him from his position.

BBC News - Spanish WWF sacks King Juan Carlos over elephant hunt

Last edited:
:previous:

And with that explanation I think we can cease the WWF/Elephant-discussion & focus on the event itself.

I think, there was interaction between Juan Carlos and Letizia:

http://resize-parismatch.ladmedia.f...570261/node_570270/5289361-1-fre-FR/image.jpg

Kissing his Granddaughters HM felt lucky on his seat ! The day of his Abdication.

What I find is that he did not acknowledge his wife after all these years, couldn't he at least look or smile at her? Sad he ended his reign like this, very sad indeed!

The ceremony was kind of sad for me. And Yes, that was one really sad moment in the whole ceremony. I really liked Sofia kissing Juan Carlos but it was obvious that they weren't in harmony. ?

Back
Top Bottom