The Abdication of King Juan Carlos: June 18, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish Letizia would break with tradition tomorrow and pull out a tiara! That would be a break in the best way. :)

I saw a sense of renewal in the Spanish Monarchy in the ceremony and I think that will be felt even more at the ceremony tomorrow.

The Royal Palace is absolutely beautiful. (I was there less than a month ago). I hope we get the chance to see more of it tomorrow.
JC and Felipe were very elegant, wearing their Orden del Toisón de Oro. I particularly liked JC's light pink tie.
The cerimony was simply but beautifully done.
Sofia looks very pensive here La abdicación del Rey Juan Carlos I (what must this woman have endured..) and I felt sad for JC here Proclamación de Felipe VI: El Rey firma la ley de abdicación | Fotogalería | Política | EL PAÍS

I saw it live on the NRK web, a very simple, dignified and touching ceremony.

The King is suffering alone , no look to Queen Sofia who was his Queen for 39 years!
and the banned infanta Christina . Pathetic !!

I thought the Ceremony was as it should be: short, simple and dignified, with the extra touch of being very very moving.

The King looked as he was about to cry, and Felipe was quite moved too. The moment when KJC returned to his chair after the signing and they both hugged and switched seats, and the long, long applause... Everything was very touching.

And both my girls Leo and Sofi behaved like the little princesses they are. They were very sweet.

And the Royal Palace looked as stunning as it is. I really love the Hall of Columns.

Now I officially can´t wait for tomorrow ;)

Despite the quibbles with his romantic life, and PERCEIVED collusion in the Noos affair, Juan Carlos will go down in history as one of Spains greatest monarchs, a man who guided his country from an antiquated military dictatorship to a modern vibrant democracy. His wife as played her difficult hand faultlessly and has proved herself as great as he.

I hope and pray King Felipe V1 and Queen Letizia have a great and glorious reign, and that Spain will prosper and flourish anew !

I just watched the video of the ceremony and thought that, although it was very simple, it was also very moving. You could really see the emotion on Juan Carlos' face (it seemed like a very bittersweet moment), and I could see Felipe taking it in, too. I certainly thought it was very touching when Juan Carlos and Felipe switched chairs and there were hugs and kisses exchanged - having such a simple ceremony really makes such moments stand out. And I noticed that Letizia seemed to have her eyes on her daughters throughout much of the ceremony, which I thought was very sweet.

I agree. Couldn't help but feel for him as he stood there while being applauded and wondering what was going through his mind. His walk surprised me. I didn't realize how frail he was. What a day.

quite emotional indeed.
i think everyone should value JC for rescuing spain from dictatorship. that was something spain owes to him incredible amounts for. however, i feel he should have stepped up more firmly with cristina and iñaki upon their involvement with corruption. it's a shame he leaves even before the decision on their fate is taken, as it taints his image quite a lot.

an anecdote of today: letizia was keeping an eye on the infantas, and when she realised they weren't holding their legs together while seating, she gestured to them very discreetly putting her hands together on her lap to indicate this to them. elmundo has a video. they call it "letizia's secret language with the infantas"

Los gestos secretos de Letizia a sus hijas, las Infantas Leonor y Sof?a | loc | EL MUNDO

the infantas are extra cute. so well behaved and elegant, they are rather adorable. and didn't elena look just magnificent! what a beautiful dress she chose.

I thought the ceremony was just ideal for all of them. I was emotional watching the King so frail and he was applauded. Whether you like King Juan Carlos or not, as a King I think he made a magnificent job, and one can not deny his role to establish the democracy in Spain.

:previous: And, accordingly, the Casa Real webpage is supposedly being changed at 12:00, with the new Royal Family ;)

Well it's time. I wish HM King Felipe VI and HM Queen Letizia all the luck. :flowers:

00h00 in Madrid. God Save King Felipe VI!

All the luck and a long and happy reign to King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia :flowers:

¡Viva el Rey!

God bless and preserve them, and bring success to them and to Spain {Hereditary enemy of my country tho' it may be ! }

:previous: And, accordingly, the Casa Real webpage is supposedly being changed at 12:00, with the new Royal Family ;)
I just checked the official web page. It is not available at the moment. They must be changing it.

Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! Long Live King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia!

Was present at the abdication:

1. HM King Juan Carlos I, The King of Spain
2. HM Quenn Sofia, The Queen of Spain
3. HRH Infante Felipe of Spain, The Prince of Asturias
4. HRH Infanta Letizia of Spain, The Princess of Asturias

5. HRH Infanta Leonor of Spain
6. HRH Infanta Sofía of Spain
7. HRH Infanta Elena of Spain, The Duchess of Lugo
8. HRH Infanta Pilar of Spain, The Duchess of Badajoz
9. HRH Infanta Margarita of Spain, The Duchess of Soria and Hernani
10. HE Don Carlos, The Duke of Soria and Hernani
11. HRH Infanta Alicia of Spain, The Dowager Duchess of Calabria
12. HRH Infante Carlos of Spain, The Duke of Calabria
13. HRH Infanta Anne of Spain, The Duchess of Calabria

14. HM King Costantine II of Greece
15. HM Queen Anne Marie of Greece
16. HE Don Felipe de Marichalar y Borbón

The King of Bulgaria was also present.

HM King Constantinos II of Greece, HM King Simeon II of Bulgaria and HRH Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Two-Sicilies were present at the abdication ceremony of HM King Juan Carlos I of Spain.

Was present at the abdication:

1. HM King Juan Carlos I, The King of Spain
2. HM Quenn Sofia, The Queen of Spain
3. HRH Infante Felipe of Spain, The Prince of Asturias
4. HRH Infanta Letizia of Spain, The Princess of Asturias

5. HRH Infanta Leonor of Spain
6. HRH Infanta Sofía of Spain
7. HRH Infanta Elena of Spain, The Duchess of Lugo
8. HRH Infanta Pilar of Spain, The Duchess of Badajoz
9. HRH Infanta Margarita of Spain, The Duchess of Soria and Hernani
10. HE Don Carlos, The Duke of Soria and Hernani
11. HRH Infanta Alicia of Spain, The Dowager Duchess of Calabria
12. HRH Infante Carlos of Spain, The Duke of Calabria
13. HRH Infanta Anne of Spain, The Duchess of Calabria

14. HM King Costantine II of Greece
15. HM Queen Anne Marie of Greece
16. HE Don Felipe de Marichalar y Borbón

I didn't see HE Don Felipe de Marichalar but I'll look out for him in the photos.Was nice to see HRH Infanta Alicia,the oldest member of the extended Royal Family,97 later this year.

The ceremony was short but it was nice to see most of the family present.A bittersweet moment for the old King and he looked to be very frail at times.I noticed Letizia was keeping an eye on the girls but they were well behaved and aunty Pilar was behind them just incase!

Congratulations to the new King,H.M.Felipe VI of Spain!

PPE

PPE Agency

Back
Top Bottom