Queen Sofia and Dom Pedro Gastao Incident?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyallyRich

Commoner
City
Las Vegas
Country
United States
I wish not to stir trouble but I have been having a little bit of an argument toss with a friend of mine in Barcelona.Now it has to do with the pre-Royal Wedding gala dinner of the Infanta Dona Elena and Don Jaime de Marichalar.This friend insists that during the Royal photo-op of the gathered Spanish Royal Family and the Brazilian Imperial and Royal Family,an incident of Royal irritation took place between Queen Sofia and Dom Pedro Gustao.He asked her to just scoot a little so he can have room for himself next to her for the picture.But the Queen just shot him a cold irritated look and did not barge.As to seem to tell His Imperial and Royal Brazlian Highness that she will not be told to move,she is a reigning Queen.He, a would be Emperor and King of a New World Empire,a Monarch in exile.Is this true? I have been arguing with this creature for weeks.I do not beleive it,but he said that plainly Sofia is a strong and rather formidable Queen.I say, Viva la Reina!

I have no idea if the incident actually took place, but I have a really hard time believing that Queen Sofia would feel superior to Dom Pedro seeing as her brother is a king in exile and her husband almost was.

I've never heard anything about it either. Where did your friend hear it? I'm not saying it's untrue, I'm just curious.

Last edited:
It's an interesting story and I could see that it might have happened, but like I said, I don't the QS would have intended any malice. I've been trying to look up the incident online but haven't been able to find anything yet.

Well, from what I have heard Dom Pedro Gastao isn´t the nicest person around, so IF HM would react in such a manner I would gather it would be caused because she was irritated by Dom Pedro Gastao. We also don´t exactly know how he asked the Queen to move.

Another option is that the story is completely bogus of course. I was wondering if anybody has the groupphoto that we are discussing? I have never seen it or heard about it even.

I don't know a lot about Dom Pedro Gastao, however (and I'm saying this with The Queen being one of my 'favourite' royals), I think she is a person you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of and I have heard that she has quite the temper, so if he had done something she didn't like before then.. :D

These were the only group pics in Elena and Jaime's wedding thread (there is no mention of this incident there btw):

ImageShack - Hosting :: gf15iato9.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 69746e24122426lomn5.jpg
I vaguely remember what he looks like, but I don't recognise him on any of the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ahve no idea who that is, but I believe Dom Pedro Gastao has a moustache, and looks a bit different too.

Dom Pedro Gastão de Bourbon Orleans e Bragança (posted by juscelino)

RoyallyRich, I've never heard about this incident but if it happened, I don't think Queen Sofia would shot him a cold irritated lookjust because he asked her to just scoot a little so he can have room for himself next to her :) or because she is a reigning queen and he is a monarch in exile. After all, if Queen Sofia hadn't married King Juan Carlos she would be known as a Princess of Greece living in exile.
Imo, Queen Sofia is a Lady, a real Queen, and if she didnt move a bit was because he spoke to her with extreme rudeness. I don't believe in any other possibility. :flowers:

i once heard that sofia told some air hostess who referred to the infantas (in that time little girls) as "guapas" (meaning "cute, beautiful", informal way of addressing children in a friendly manner) saying that "they are not guapas, they are HRH the infantas". i don't know how true it is, but it came to my mind when i read the comment of what sofia told dom pedro

"As to seem to tell His Imperial and Royal Brazlian Highness that she will not be told to move,she is a reigning Queen"

i once heard that sofia told some air hostess who referred to the infantas (in that time little girls) as "guapas" (meaning "cute, beautiful", informal way of addressing children in a friendly manner) saying that "they are not guapas, they are HRH the infantas".

I wonder if this is true or not..I mean, to me 'guapa' is a term used by pretty much everyone when they are talking to children. (I know these children are royal children), but it's the norm as far as I'm concerned. :ermm: I guess The Queen has softened over time..

That said, I have assumed that the air hostess addressed them properly first. Maybe she didn't?

Hello Sofia M. I do not know if he will or not certain that history, but almost everything that account kings out there, sometimes has a little, almost always very little truth, sometimes nothing at all, and always much urban legend.
This may be true, if the queen does not like the person, and does not have a relationship of trust . The queen does not bother you that you tell guapa here in Spain people are said much on the street, what acts, spontaneously, and she siempe shown very happy.Tal time being a royal, in a shorter distance ... i dont know.Saludos! ! !
:flowers::flowers:

but almost everything that account kings out there, sometimes has a little, almost always very little truth, sometimes nothing at all, and always much urban legend.
:flowers::flowers:

Of course :) and anyway, if The Queen did say that I don't think that there is anything wrong with it.

IF this indeed happen, I cannot see that Queen Sofía did anything wrong. This was a group photo shot at her daughter's wedding, where parents and other close relatives; Grandparents, brothers and sisters etc, usually stand close to the bridal couple. What right did Dom Pedro have to claim a spot next to the Queen. They are not closely related, are they?

That said, I have assumed that the air hostess addressed them properly first. Maybe she didn't?

i didn't get told that part. however, if they are just little girls, i think it's far too exagerate to be asking people to greet them with a "good morning, your royal highness, infanta x, duchess of x..." when they are school girls. it's obviously protocolar, but since it was an informal situation... i think it's over the top.

Who is the man to the right of Queen Sofia in this picture? (from the pre-wedding dinner)

ImageShack - Hosting :: 9418usux4.jpg

I wondered also who he is. He had quiet an prominent place in the Church, in the first row, next to Princess Marie of Liechtenstein i think. I was told that he is someone from the Order of Malta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Dom Pedro Gastão`s wife, Doña Esperanza, was the King Juan Carlos auntie. I met both Dom Pedro and his wife, in the palace of Petropolis, and they were charming.

Well, I am not sure how the King actually felt about Dom Pedro. I believe that Pedro has been rather unkind to his sisters, mainly about the inheritance of their father, and Don Juan Carlos was fond of the late Countess of Paris, so....

Well, don't forget that as far as I know, the pre-Royal Wedding gala dinner was at Dom Pedro Gastao and Doña Esperanza's house near Sevilla, the Palacio de Villamanrique so I don't think the reslationship between the two families was bad.

Dom Pedro Gastão de Bourbon Orleans e Bragança (posted by juscelino)

RoyallyRich, I've never heard about this incident but if it happened, I don't think Queen Sofia would shot him a cold irritated lookjust because he asked her to just scoot a little so he can have room for himself next to her :) or because she is a reigning queen and he is a monarch in exile. After all, if Queen Sofia hadn't married King Juan Carlos she would be known as a Princess of Greece living in exile.
Imo, Queen Sofia is a Lady, a real Queen, and if she didnt move a bit was because he spoke to her with extreme rudeness. I don't believe in any other possibility. :flowers:
You know photos tell a lot about a person, and from what I can observe from her pictures, she strikes me as a kind, compassionate, yet firm and definitely regal person. After all, she is a royal and a reigning Queen consort.

i once heard that sofia told some air hostess who referred to the infantas (in that time little girls) as "guapas" (meaning "cute, beautiful", informal way of addressing children in a friendly manner) saying that "they are not guapas, they are HRH the infantas". i don't know how true it is, but it came to my mind when i read the comment of what sofia told dom pedro

In the unlikely event that this story is true, I think it's just a misunderstanding and an excuse for malicious people to talk dirty about the Queen.

I believe that the scene you describe above evolved as a urban myth because when royals talk about their fellows they refer to them according to their title and rank, so if someone asked the Queen about her daughters she must have simply said "the Infantas are fine", but as I said, this is a common practice... I've never heard the King referring to the Queen as "Sofia", he will always refer to her as "the Queen", and this may be considered by some as snobbish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom