Queen Sofia's 70th Birthday: November 2, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
Queen Sofia will celebrate on November 2 her 70th birthday.

For the present time, there is no confirmation of any public celebration with this motive.

On the occasion of Queen Sofia´s 70th birthday a new book about her life will be published.

ELMUNDO.ES | SUPLEMENTOS | MAGAZINE 472 | La Reina de cerca

" Doña Sofía. The Queen speaks about her life "

The woman that all consider indispensable support of the personal and professional success of the institution of the Wreath in Spain will have next November 2, 70 years. As early gift, next October 15 it will be publishes "Doña Sofía", an intimate statement elaborated by Emilio Oliva, person in charge of information of the Royal House for the agency EFE, and for me, Carmen Enríquez, correspondent for 17 years of TVE in the Royal House. Across its pages, the Queen confesses that she came to Spain for love and speech of her not easy at all youth, of her tastes, of her values and of herchildren, her daughter-in-law, her grandchildren.

Emilio Oliva and I go so many years after Doña Sofía 's steps - and of the rest of members of the Royal Family - that, precisely for having been there, being sometimes the shade in the moments " not officials " of these acts, we have had the privilege of obtaining two wide interviews where the personage became nearby and revealed aspects of her till now known.

Words of the Queen

About her arrival to Spain

She insists that she came to live through Spain for love. A decision taken with the heart that brought her to a country very different from the one that is now. For a woman accustomed on travelling all over the world with cosmopolitan mentality, on adapting to a timid life in black and white, where one was looking at her with fear and at best they saw her as " a princess foreigner", it must not have been simple.

" When I came I had a lot of free time and wanted to occupy it giving service in hospitals, in places where I could exercise my work. I had clear that I wanted to do it, but they did not allow me because they said to me that it was not proper of my condition ". Doña Sofía opens very much the eyes when she emphasizes: " they did not allow it me! ". It were the 60s and the pro-Franco, closed and blessed, it was referring to her as the Greek or the heretic.

The terrorism

" It is a plague that exists worldwide and its existence is deplorable, lamentable, inadmissible and all the adjectives on that they could put to discredit it. It does not exist no reason that could justify it and to avoid it it is necessary to put all the possible means, always with the law in the hand. It is another problem that has much that to see with the received education, but that in no case is justifiable. It is a blight of the humanity ".

NGO

" The humanity is conscious of the inequality that exist in the world, and always it wants to relieve them. But it is necessary to improve, improve and improve, because everything is possible if the people put to it. It is more arous now, because there is more information, the problems are known more deeply. And in situations of crisis, the people are concentrated and realize the consequences of the inequality ".

The Project Alzheimer

" I was aware of the disease, as different so many people, when I saw the devastating effects that it produced in distant my aunt. I thought that it was good to extract forward this project that deals with the attention to the patients, of the formation of the personnel to that attends them and of the scientific investigation "" it is frightful to lose your identity, all your recollections, to forget your past ".

Press and TV

" I see all the national newspapers that I can and also some foreigners, as the Herald Tribune because it summarizes very well what happens in the world. Also, providing that I can, I see the television newscasts and the debates in television. I am charmed with the programs in which some and others think about a today's news ".

Family

" Those who criticize the marriage of a prince with a journalist have a very ancient way of thinking. It is good that we open ourselves "

" I love don Jaime like when he was with my daughter. That has changed
their relation, does not modify the things. Each one has right to take own decisions and to take their life. But we do not love him less, they are things of the life ".

" Like I have said in other occasions, I feel happy and very satisfied - she confesses to a light own after-taste of nostalgia of a person that still it is not possible to believe that she has reached this age-. The balance is very positive and it keeps me alive. It is important to feel well but it is moreover important to support the illusions with a view to the future. The History will speak very well about the King. To me, I hope that it recognizes me to have been of some utility. And, for the rest, which they say what they should want … "​

I hope that there is some special occasion to mark this wonderful woman's birthday. It would be lovely if they had a complete family portrait released, all children and grandchildren

Yes I think a portrait would be a good way of acknowledging the Queen's birthday. I dont think that it is the SRF's style to hold elaborate public celebrations but I think that a portrait would be nice.

But I dont know if there is any precedent for this, does anyone else???

Queen Sofia has celebrated her birthday in several occasions with concerts. On November 2 there is foreseen the inauguration of the auditorium of the High school of Music Queen Sofia, with a concert directed by Zubin Mehta. Maybe this concert will be the public celebration.

Will the book be published in English?
Best wishes to the Queen on this special milestone.:flowers:

Another article about the book to be published:
http://www.abc.es/20081014/gente-casas-reales-espana/dona-sofia-quienes-critican-200810140829.html

"Doña Sofia. The Queen speaks about her life" will be published on June 15, two weeks before the Queen's 70th birthday. Doña Sofia talked to the journalists Carmen Enriquez and Emilio Oliva about her relationship with the Princess, the separation of Infanta Elena, her relations with the media and the future of the Monarchy.

In this book, the Queen talks about her good relationship with Doña Letizia: "We talk a lot together and we help each other very much". The Queen thinks that the Princess of Asturias is a "very, very intelligent" woman, who "knows exactly what she has to do" and that "those who criticize the marriage of the Prince with a journalist have a very old-fashioned way of thinking".

Regarding the separation of Infanta Elena and Jaime de Marichalar, Queen Sofia says: "I like Don Jaime like when he was with my daughter. Fact that their relationship has changed does not change things".

About the media, the Queen says: "The harassment of some media surprises me, but I'm not angry. Because anger causes damage to ourselves and I will not give that joy to those who do not like me. I do not wish to"!

For this book, Carmen Enriquez and Emilio Oliva had two long interviews with Queen Sofia, last spring. The Queen answered more than 100 questions about her past, her present and the way she faces the future, without rejecting any of the questions. The book includes 32 pages of photographs, some of which are from the personal archives of the Queen.

Thanks for posting this video I really enjoyed the pictures. Around the middle there is a picture where the King and Queen are crying and she has her arm around him. It is very tender picture. Does anyone know where they were?

They were at the King Juan Carlos Father´s Funneral .

Last edited:
What a marvelous woman is the Queen Sofia of Spain! I hope her 70th birthday will be a very special day for Spain, for herself, her husband, her children and grandchildren.
VIVA LA REINA SOFIA DE ESPAÑA!!!

This night, the TV channel "Telemadrid" will emit a special Documental on the Ocasion of Queen Sofia´s 70 Birthday. Unfortunately will be in Spanish, but there will be unpublished images of Queen Life.

You can follow on-line here, at 22:20h (Spanish Hour)
www.telemadrid.es?

An here is a video advance of the Docu (Clik on Video-Mira la Promo)
www.telemadrid.es

Last edited:
Dear members of Andalucian Monarchists:

Next Saturday night at 11 p.m., we will watch on the public Spanish Television, a documentary film about Her Majesty Sophie of Spain. Let´s hope that it´s such interesting and serious program as our illustre, distinguished and affable queen deserves.

Best regards to all of you.
Login | Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that all posts regarding the book, Queen Sofia Up Close by Pilar Urbano have been moved and can be found here Queen Sofia Up Close by Pilar Urbano .

Do to the nature of the system, the posts might appear to be disjointed as they are moved and listed according to the time they were orginially posted.

Please contact any of the Spanish moderators and/or TRF Administrators via PM if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Leonor looks so much like her in the photo above.

VIDEO
Queen Rania of Jordan, Rafael Nadal, Montserrat Caballe ... about Queen Sofia.

"Sofía, the album of a Queen"

Complete video

rtve.es/noticias - La Reina Sofía cumple 70 años "satisfecha por todo lo que ha podido hacer"

More videos

"Sofia, Queen of Spain" (1998)

rtve.es/rtve - Vídeos - 'Sofía, Reina de España'

' Portrait, of a Queen ' (1998)

rtve.es/rtve - Vídeos - 'Retrato, De Una Reina'

"Sofia and Juan Carlos, a royal wedding" (2002)

rtve.es/rtve - Vídeos - Sofía y Juan Carlos, una boda real

Photos

rtve.es/noticias - Fotos - La Reina Sofía, 70 años en imágenes

La reina Sofía celebra en familia su cumpleaños con un concierto en la Fundación Albéniz - Yahoo! Noticias

The queen Sofía celebrates in family her birthday with a concert in the Foundation Albéniz

The Royal Family to the complete and the family of the King have accompanied this evening the Queen, in the day of her 70 birthday, on the concert that there has offered in the Foundation Albéniz the conductor Zubin Mehta.

Photo
http://i33.tinypic.com/5mmfqx.jpg

Together with the Royal Family, also there are present at the concert other members of the royalty like Simeón of Bulgaria, Michael of Romania, the Queen Rania de Jordanía, Constantino of Greece, the infanta Margarita and the infanta Pilar

La Familia Real al completo acompaña a la Reina a un concierto de Zubin Mehta el día de su 70 cumpleaños - Yahoo! Noticias

I hope I look that good when it is my 70th birthday. The one thing that has always impressed me about Queen Sofia, is her dedication to her family. I love to watch her with her grandchildren, she seems like such a loving special woman. Happy Birthday!!:flowers::flowers:

The Royal Family attend a concert conducted by the Indian orchestra conductor Zubin Mehta on the ocassion of the opening of Albeniz Foundation and 'Queen Sofia' Art School new headquarters.

Galerías de imágenes

Last edited:
She looks wonderful! I am glad to see that her sisters were able to celebrate with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom