King Juan Carlos's Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duke of Marmalade

Imperial Majesty
City
Frankfurt am Main
Country
Germany
I thought I open a new thread since Juan Carlos' health is being discussed frequently these days and not in relation to the lung surgery he had to undergo in May 2010. He seems to have to slow down, missing events he has done in previous years.

When seeing him attend several events during the past weeks, it is apparent that he has difficulties walking and, most likely, standing still for a longer time. Very often people have to watch him in order to catch him in case of stumbling.

He did look very frail the last couple of weeks, whether thats down to the unfortunate beard or not I dont know. Its only natural that Felipe will have to step in for his father on events he choses not to do any longer due to declining health (eg military events) but is likely to remain boss behind the scenes.

The Borbons dont have the best of genes, JC used to be Jack of all trades and apparently has lived life to the full, leaving him aging not well.

El Rey tiene dificultades de locomocin, se cansa mucho y luce barba por las reacciones de eczema
Google Translate
progress.gif

yes his health problems are getting worse as his aging, i noticed that his fisical state had declined on the past year on the visit of the Emir of Qatar!
well you cant stay healthy forever, and JC is no exception, but i wonder how many years he will stay around.
hopefully many to come as LONG LIVE THE KING!!! but considering his health issues, he better take a good look after it or he will not be around anymore (god i hope NOT!! but we cant control these things nor stop time, it will happen to us sooner or later):sad:

The poor King looks so frail & tired of late,I'm hoping its that awful beard he has been sporting.

I pray His Majesty is well & that its just another rumour!

The poor King looks so frail & tired of late,I'm hoping its that awful beard he has been sporting.

I pray His Majesty is well & that its just another rumour!

i hope that too, specially now that there's a rumour in spain that king jc and prince felipe are having problems and they don't have the same close relationship since felipe got married.

i heard that letizia caused a lot of problems in the spanish rf, felipe's sisters don't talk to her, and the only one that tries to unite the family is queen sofia...

maybe it's just rumours...maybe not.

one thing is for sure: long live to the king!!!!

While this is still not a formal annoucement from Zarzuela, I admit I've been expecting some kind of announcement for a while now. I think it's become obvious that, despite Zarzuela re-assurances to the contrary, Juan Carlos' health is a concern. Since the surgery last year his physical decline is painfully visible, and so it is Felipe's serious demeanor in the past few months.

I sincerely hope I'm being more negative than reality warrants it. Juan Carlos may have made a million personal mistakes but is someone I profoundly respect for his enormous contribution to democracy in Spain and his political/social integrity.:sad:

While this is still not a formal annoucement from Zarzuela, I admit I've been expecting some kind of announcement for a while now. I think it's become obvious that, despite Zarzuela re-assurances to the contrary, Juan Carlos' health is a concern. Since the surgery last year his physical decline is painfully visible, and so it is Felipe's serious demeanor in the past few months.

I sincerely hope I'm being more negative than reality warrants it. Juan Carlos may have made a million personal mistakes but is someone I profoundly respect for his enormous contribution to democracy in Spain and his political/social integrity.:sad:

Very well said,I agree with you .I'm not Spanish but I hold His Majesty in the highest regard.

i hope that too, specially now that there's a rumour in spain that king jc and prince felipe are having problems and they don't have the same close relationship since felipe got married.

i heard that letizia caused a lot of problems in the spanish rf, felipe's sisters don't talk to her, and the only one that tries to unite the family is queen sofia...
If there are some frictions in the family, it`s not Letizia`s fault. The King comes through a difficult period of his life - he realizes that he can`t do the same amount of work as before, so he must admit to himself that he`s an old man and will never be younger and stronger again. It must be very difficult for everyone. And in such situations old people tend to be morose, and especially toward those who are gonna replace them, so if there are problems between the King and the Prince, I think this is their source.

Alondra, great post. I hope that the Kings health will improve. Felipe`s family is still very young.

If there are some frictions in the family, it`s not Letizia`s fault. The King comes through a difficult period of his life - he realizes that he can`t do the same amount of work as before, so he must admit to himself that he`s an old man and will never be younger and stronger again. It must be very difficult for everyone. And in such situations old people tend to be morose, and especially toward those who are gonna replace them, so if there are problems between the King and the Prince, I think this is their source.

Alondra, great post. I hope that the Kings health will improve. Felipe`s family is still very young.

i never said that that rumours were true, i said that i heard there were rumours in spain about felipe and jc's relationship.

i agree with you, jc's not younger anymore. how old is he, 74? when in hola.com wrote an article early this year saying that jc's health is well, i knew that there's something wrong. it's good that he delegate some of his work in his heir... to give him some practice. i think that there's people who doesn't like letizia, and all those rumours appeared because of that.

and, by the way, good post.
and alondra's too.

hope the king get well soon...

i never said that that rumours were true, i said that i heard there were rumours in spain about felipe and jc's relationship.

i agree with you, jc's not younger anymore. how old is he, 74? when in hola.com wrote an article early this year saying that jc's health is well, i knew that there's something wrong. it's good that he delegate some of his work in his heir... to give him some practice. i think that there's people who doesn't like letizia, and all those rumours appeared because of that.

and, by the way, good post.
and alondra's too.

hope the king get well soon...

The King is 73 since January.

wow the haters of Letizia really like to make those awful rumours.:ohmy:
in the past few months, i saw a very good close relationship between the King and Letizia, Letizia and QSofia and now at Easter, a pleasent view of the senior Infantas and Leti. im sure the only problem that SR family faces now is the health of JC!!!:sad:

Do You think we will see HM sailing this Summer as usual?

Is there any way for a monarch to step down (as when there are health problems) aside from abdication? I guess that's the only term (seems maybe there's some other option that sounds closer to "retirement.") Monarchs used to "take vows" and enter the religious life, right? Was that considered abdication?

I believe they can appoint the heir to be regent. Could be wrong though.

Oh, that does sound right - for them to take a regent. Even if it's rare, he should set a precedent, as he seems tired and if he's also unwell, he should be able to get out from under the job.

JC just had a private visit to Morocco, he and Sofia will start a state visit to Switzerland this week, so he can't be that sick. He is 73 and had a major surgery, there were probably good days, also bad days. I think the most important thing for him now is to admit that he no longer is a superman, if he needs to slow down, he should slow down.
I don't think he will abdicate. Even if he wants (that I doubt), all those connections and hangers around him wouldn't let him. They were the ones jumping out to criticize Felipe for hogging the spotlight too much, overshadowing his father (how much is needed to overshadow an ill old man LOL:lol:) at the end of last year ?

I would never rank "BUNTE" as a reliable source. 80-90% will be pure speculation.

The Canadian Press: Spain's king to have knee operation for sports injuries
Latin American Herald Tribune - Spain’s King Juan Carlos to Have Knee Surgery

The knee surgery probably has to happen, when looking at the King I am sure there is more, he has been looking ill for some time now, but its a sensitive topic and admitting more other than what cannot be denied could be suicide for the institution.

A visibly declining health of JC, especially over a long time period, will lead to a discussion about the monarchy itself what the SRF is dreading. Looking at an ailing King for months in this political climate could lead to the public asking whether they need a King at all, the young and unemployed could figure that Spain doesnt. Dynamics can be dangerous. It would be a different matter if the King would drop dead and Felipe is his successor, no time for a public debate in this case.

I really don't like to specualte about people's health but when I saw the pictures of the King during the National Security Council meeting the other day, he really seemed frail. It can of course be the aftermath of the grand parade in Malaga. He is not the youngest person around, now is he? He probably needs some rest after such a long day under the sun and all that people et cetera.
I hope he will be better soon, though..
Btw, a bit off topic mybe but tonight there's a documentary about Juan Carlos in german tv ZDF tonight.

Back
Top Bottom