King Juan Carlos's Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All posts & discussion on King Juan Carlos hip injury and his trip to Africa can all be discussed in the
King Juan Carlos Hunting Accident & Trip To Africa 2012
Thread

King postpones a trip to Paris because doctors advised him to slow down

The King has decided to postpone a visit to Paris that was scheduled to perform next week, during which he would meet with President François Hollande, on the advice of doctors, who have recommended slow down his activities to avoid damaging his joints.

Sources of the King's House explained to Efe that following his recent trip to India, which has developed an intensive program of work and formal events in Bombay and New Delhi, the doctors advised him to be more calm with his official activities.

El Rey aplaza un viaje a París porque los médicos le aconsejan bajar el ritmo

King Juan Carlos will have surgery on his left hip next week

El Rey ser intervenido este mircoles de una artrosis en su cadera

The Infanta Pilar has been commissioned to announce that her brother, King Juan Carlos, will undergo surgery on Wednesday. She informed the media that osteoarthritis is a "genetic" suffering "whole family".

Infanta Pilar said it was King who told her directly about the operation. "It's a mechanical intervention," she said, "I have operated both hips and so has my sister. Are you getting osteoarthritis with age. "

Displaying her usual humor, the Infanta has said that it is "a thing of the bones that does not affect the brain. No need to worry about this. "

El Rey ser intervenido este mircoles de una artrosis en su cadera

The Infanta Pilar has been commissioned to announce that her brother, King Juan Carlos, will undergo surgery on Wednesday. She informed the media that osteoarthritis is a "genetic" suffering "whole family".

Infanta Pilar said it was King who told her directly about the operation. "It's a mechanical intervention," she said, "I have operated both hips and so has my sister. Are you getting osteoarthritis with age. "

Displaying her usual humor, the Infanta has said that it is "a thing of the bones that does not affect the brain. No need to worry about this. "

Thanks for posting,I wonder why it was Pilar and not Felipe or Elena,either way I'm happy that theirs communication going on between the senior siblings.

I have seen the video of King Juan Carlos at the State banquet in his visit to India. Initially he walked well, but after the reception he could barely move, and asked an Indian attache to hold him and help him walk.
I seriously feel his time is done. He should go into semi-retirement, attending only very important State events like National Day and absolutely nothing out of Madrid.
The Prince of Asturias should gradually take over. Monarchs in their 70s cannot be expected to perform as they did in their 40s and 50s..
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip even work into their 90s, but that is an exception rather than a rule.
So I seriously feel Juan Carlos and King Harald should cut down things.
Come on, George VI couldnt even do official things in his 50s, started sending his daughter on all foreign visits since 1948..So not a big deal..

I have seen the video of King Juan Carlos at the State banquet in his visit to India. Initially he walked well, but after the reception he could barely move, and asked an Indian attache to hold him and help him walk.
I seriously feel his time is done. He should go into semi-retirement, attending only very important State events like National Day and absolutely nothing out of Madrid.
The Prince of Asturias should gradually take over. Monarchs in their 70s cannot be expected to perform as they did in their 40s and 50s..
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip even work into their 90s, but that is an exception rather than a rule.
So I seriously feel Juan Carlos and King Harald should cut down things.
Come on, George VI couldnt even do official things in his 50s, started sending his daughter on all foreign visits since 1948..So not a big deal..

Juan Carlos is the King and head of state,talk of him going into semi retirement is out of the question,he believes he is King for life.

As it stands both the Prince and Princess have a busy schedule and have represented Spain at numerous foreign events as does the Queen.

Aging does not mean you have to retire from working. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, who also had hip replacement surgery, continued to undertake official engagements throughout her long life and was still traveling overseas well into her 80s as have her daughter and son in law.
George VI only ceased overseas travel in the last year of his life when he was suffering from lung cancer. .
Many people have hip replacement surgery and go on to live long and productive active lives. There is no real reason why Juan Carlos should not continue his role after recovery from his operation, and most likely will be much more comfortable and in less pain while doing so.

Last edited:
Aging does not mean you have to retire from working. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, who also had hip replacement surgery, continued to undertake official engagements throughout her long life and was still traveling overseas well into her 80s as have her daughter and son in law.
George VI only ceased overseas travel in the last year of his life when he was suffering from lung cancer.
Many people have hip replacement surgery and go on to live long and productive active lives. There is no real reason why Juan Carlos should not continue his role after recovery from his operation, and most likely will be much more comfortable and in less pain while doing so.

:flowers: Totally agree, NGalitzine. Why should physical disabilities and age define us as people? Everyone will eventually get older, and as life expectancy rises, more and more senior citizens will continue to work. My Aunt had a stroke in her mid 70's -- yes, a stroke -- yet managed to recuperate and go back to a job as a technical writer. She returned to driving again and continues to drive at age 84. She finally retired at age 80, but is still active in the community. Another Auntie continues to teach at a private catholic school at age 75, and the kids love her. I really hate to see people being put "out to pasture" because they have age related injuries or disabilities. Look at Steven Hawking. What if someone had said "he can't do this, he's too disabled/old...". Remember what Winston Churchill said: "Never, never, never, never give up."

Oh An Ard Ri, NGalitzine and Jessmacleod, even I consider him a King for life and will be glad if he moves actively. All I am saying is that usually people longevity and health in old age are dependant on various factors. So if his health is not improving, then his hard work will only put more stress and deteriorate it. He keeps falling down at every other engagement..and it is risky..in this age even small injuries will pile up and complicate like hell. I only want him to cut down on work, particularly visits, so that he can serve his people well for many many more years.
If his doctors advise it is okay to continue with his hectic work then fine.

Oh An Ard Ri, NGalitzine and Jessmacleod, even I consider him a King for life and will be glad if he moves actively. All I am saying is that usually people longevity and health in old age are dependant on various factors. So if his health is not improving, then his hard work will only put more stress and deteriorate it. He keeps falling down at every other engagement..and it is risky..in this age even small injuries will pile up and complicate like hell. I only want him to cut down on work, particularly visits, so that he can serve his people well for many many more years.
If his doctors advise it is okay to continue with his hectic work then fine.

Which is exactly what he has done,the King has only made an handful over oversea's visits,if he wasn't well enough to do so at the time I'm sure his doctors would have advised against it.

Queen Sofia,Felipe and Letizia's oversea's visit have increased over the past few years,the majority of the King's engagements take place at the Zarzuela complex or else in nearby Madrid.

At the end of the day we all wish His Majesty a speedy recovery and hope he has plenty of time to rest.

I disagree, at least regarding those high profile visits to other countries (State, Official, Working Visits).

The King has been abroad six times in 2012, the same number of trips he more or less did in previous years (7 in 2011, 5 in 2010 etc, 6 in 2005 when he was much better, health wise). Given that the government decides what kind of visits are on the agenda and not the House of the King, I think these kind of visits have decreased rather because of the crisis rather than the health of the King. In- and outgoing State Visits are very expensive.

Same goes for F&L, since they got married, they usually do around 3 official visits per year, nothing has changed.

What has changed indeed is that the King these days seems to avoid to travel together with Queen Sofia, unless he needs her for the Ladies's programme, like in Cadiz :whistling: Other than that, the King is likely to avoid travelling around the country for low profile events, something the Princes do a lot.

Maybe it's just me, but JC has seemed to be visibly declining over the last few years. He looks much older than he actually is. I hope this new procedure can give the King's health a boost.

Maybe it's just me, but JC has seemed to be visibly declining over the last few years. He looks much older than he actually is. I hope this new procedure can give the King's health a boost.

JC lived life to the full and on the fast lane. Other than that, he is a trooper like the two old people in London. He is King for life, would never step down because of physical problems.

JC lived life to the full and on the fast lane. Other than that, he is a trooper like the two old people in London. He is King for life, would never step down because of physical problems.

He's not quite as robust as the 'two old people in London' but a trooper none the less!

He's not quite as robust as the 'two old people in London' but a trooper none the less!

Nice one:flowers:
One thing..like the 'two old people in London' I find KJC also looks more regal ang gracious in old age, i mean, 70s..Is this a universal finding? That we love them too young or too old?

Nice one:flowers:
One thing..like the 'two old people in London' I find KJC also looks more regal ang gracious in old age, i mean, 70s..Is this a universal finding? That we love them too young or too old?

He does but sadly also frail,however I think his charm and charisma make up for that!

Let's hope all goes ok for His Majesty.

Let's hope all goes ok for His Majesty.

Yup..

And:previous: this thing with Corinna..did Queen really met her in elevator? Or u r jus joking? Isnt 'Corinna' the one..I mean the King's er..'friend'?

This week the King marked the 37th anniversary of his reign of what has been a bad year for His Majesty,lets hope the operation goes well and 2013 is a better year!

Statement on surgery to His Majesty the King
Palacio de la Zarzuela. Madrid, 23.11.2012

His Majesty the King had surgery tonight his left hip at the Hospital Quirón San José de Madrid, by Dr. Angel Villamor.

The intervention, which lasted 90 minutes, was performed under general anesthesia and has proved entirely satisfactory.

(...)
Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Área de Prensa

Queen Sofía and Prince Felipe leave the hospital

http://www.abc.es/Media/201211/24/SOFIA-SALIDA-HOSPITAL--478x270.jpg
http://www.abc.es/Media/201211/24/PRINCIPE-ABANDONA-HOSPTAL--478x270.jpg

Back
Top Bottom