King Juan Carlos's Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why the King is going to leave Mallorca?

I might have misread an article when attempting to translate it from Spanish to English .

My knowledge of Spanish is quite basic.

The King will undergo surgery again to correct the injury he suffered in the Achilles' heel of his left foot that forced him in recent weeks to use an immobilizing boot. The intervention will take place in the coming days in the hospital San José de Madrid, where he already had surgery last June 3 in his right knee.

El Rey será operado de nuevo por una lesión en el talón de Aquiles

While I dont think that the Borbon family has the best of genes in terms of aging (looks, body) JC now pays tribute to his health as a person who has lived life to the full, he has been a heavy smoker for decades (not anymore but only stopped because on medical request) and did all sorts of risky sports acitities, he has always lead a life at full throttle both professional and private.

But for a monarch its still the better option when the body gets frail instead of the mind, hope his doctors will pull JC through for many more years.

Wishing His Majesty a speedy recovery.

Poor King Juan Carlos. I do hope he has a speedy recovery.

According to the informations the recovery will be long, several weeks of rest of the foot and at least 4 months of rehabilitation. The King will start having official activity in the next days but only in palace.

I can't see him being pushed around in a wheelchair. It wouldn't do his dignity and pride any favours.....

I can't see him being pushed around in a wheelchair. It wouldn't do his dignity and pride any favours.....
I get pushed in a wheelchair all the time. Does not hurt my pride or dignity... No offence is meant by this post, as you of course are free to have your opinion. Just giving you the perspective of a handicapped person on your remark.
Later....
I do sort of see your point.
JC is not used to being pushed around in a wheelchair. I am, because that is all I have ever known.... for him it may take some getting used to.

Last edited:

I was not being political but referring to the fact that he is able to do the job of a high profile politician (travelling, working long hours, a job in full media glare draining both physically and intellectually) as a handicapped person. For me, there is no relation between pride & dignity and a wheelchair in general and especially not for public people like JC.

It is probable enough, this surgery has been decided with little planning and now they have many acts that they have to modify in some form. He will attend the audiences in Zarzuela sat, but there are important acts as the opening of the Judicial Year or the National Day that are out of palace, so the wheelchair seems the most logical option.

El Rey podra delegar en el Prncipe algunos actos mientras se recupera - ABC.es

It is probable enough, this surgery has been decided with little planning and now they have many acts that they have to modify in some form. He will attend the audiences in Zarzuela sat, but there are important acts as the opening of the Judicial Year or the National Day that are out of palace, so the wheelchair seems the most logical option.

El Rey podra delegar en el Prncipe algunos actos mientras se recupera - ABC.es

Thanks lula, I was under the impression that the issue can be resolved with crutches but we shall see.

Thanks lula, I was under the impression that the issue can be resolved with crutches but we shall see.

Duke, the knee of the other leg had surgery 3 months ago, so he can not force it. Maybe for the National Day he could walk a short distance but he will not be able to be 4 hours standing.

He cannot walk for 10 or 15 days, so in the next days he only will receive audiences sat. The 15th is the opening of the Judicial Year that is a very solemn act, the only member of the royal family that could replace himm is the Prince and he will be in Paris that day.

Last edited:
The problem Duke, is that next week the King will continue having all his acts in Zarzuela, and the prince will replace him in an act in Santander. So, I think that the House of the King and the doctors think that he is not recovered.

I think that the King is behaving as an obstinate child, and that has decided to go away of private trip to Monaco.

The problem in his Achilles' tendon, was for not resting enought after the surgery in the knee ... we will see what consequences can have this trip.

Maybe the King wanted to show that he is still active and capable of doing his own stuff, I guess it was down to image. This "private" fluff event is very unlike JC but could easily conceal his handicap, while the act next week in Santander would be more exhausting (standing, reading a speech).

Yes, but if it he wants to do that he must do it in Spain, in Madrid in a calm act and not in a private trip to Monaco to see yachts.

We will see what apology they find for the most absurd thing that the King has made lately. And let's hope that this trip does not have consequences in his health ... and he finish having to stay away from important acts as the National Day.

Yes, I agree with you and I cant recall JC doing such a fluff event abroad, ever, let alone in this health condition. Although it is considered "private" and not listed on casareal he did meet a fellow Head of State in public. Maybe JC promised to come in exchange to the wedding he missed in July.

Yes, I agree with you and I cant recall JC doing such a fluff event abroad, ever, let alone in this health condition. Although it is considered "private" and not listed on casareal he did meet a fellow Head of State in public. Maybe JC promised to come in exchange to the wedding he missed in July.

Ha ha maybe he did :D

Yes, but if it he wants to do that he must do it in Spain, in Madrid in a calm act and not in a private trip to Monaco to see yachts.

We will see what apology they find for the most absurd thing that the King has made lately. And let's hope that this trip does not have consequences in his health ... and he finish having to stay away from important acts as the National Day.

I don't know if it's the most absurd thing or not, but he seems to be shooting all over lately. Not good at all.

Just wondering how much his "cabezonadas" are starting to wear down everyone else on the royal household. He's been losing his temper lately, and even though he's always been treated with kid's gloves by the press, it's becoming publicly known.

Last edited:
JC looked like a big boy in a toy store in Monaco ;). He could be the reason why Sofia had lunch with Infanta Pilar and Margarita, she needs the help of the two sisters :lol:.

JC looked like a big boy in a toy store in Monaco ;).

So did cool Al, for once in a Men's man world without a care ;)

Honestly, I think Sofia's attitude towards JC's antics is that she couldnt care less. The only thing she really cares about is for the monarchy to continue with her son.

JC with only ONE crutch today at Zarzuela
Sofia putting on her usual oscar-performance worthy smile
http://noticias.terra.es/2011/gente-y-cultura/0926/fotos-media/espana-derechos-humanos-iv-premio-de-derechos-humanos-rey-de-espana-01$599x0.jpg
http://noticias.terra.es/2011/gente-y-cultura/0926/fotos-media/espana-derechos-humanos-iv-premio-de-derechos-humanos-rey-de-espana$599x0.jpg

HM the King of Spain usually never assist royal weddings outside of Spain.

So did cool Al, for once in a Men's man world without a care ;)

Honestly, I think Sofia's attitude towards JC's antics is that she couldnt care less. The only thing she really cares about is for the monarchy to continue with her son.

JC with only ONE crutch today at Zarzuela
Sofia putting on her usual oscar-performance worthy smile
http://noticias.terra.es/2011/gente-y-cultura/0926/fotos-media/espana-derechos-humanos-iv-premio-de-derechos-humanos-rey-de-espana-01$599x0.jpg
[URL="http://noticias.terra.es/2011/gente-y-cultura/0926/fotos-media/espana-derechos-humanos-iv-premio-de-derechos-humanos-rey-de-espana$599x0.jpg"]http://noticias.terra.es/2011/gente-y-cultura/0926/fotos-media/espana-derechos-humanos-iv-premio-de-derechos-humanos-rey-de-espana$599x0.jpg[/URL]

I'm not sure about it. Even if Sofia doesn't care about JC as much as her younger days, she still likes to be Queen very much. Now she is still very healthy, lots of time on her own after her kids have their own family, she really enjoys the job of the Queen very much. She was the one who said 'the King will never abdicate', on the other hand, JC had said he wouldn't want to be a wheel chair king. I guess we wouldn't see JC on the wheel chair ;).

Back
Top Bottom