The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video

Video: La reina y la infanta Margarita visitan a don Juan Carlos - Canal de Vdeos de diariovasco.com

Photos purepeople

http://www.purepeople.com/article/le...ital_a129019/1

Old 09-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen with The Infanta Margarita and her daughter, Doña Maria Zurita visit the King in Hospital.

La Reina coincide con la infanta Margarita y con María Zurita, durante su visita al Rey

Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
If people want a politician as a head of state who can be asked to resign because he or she has had 8 surgeries at the age of 75 then why don't they get one. Juan Carlos is a monarch, not a politician.
I wasn't the one who brought up a politician to compare, my point was that any politician with JC like age and poor health would have been asked to retire period. It's not about walking or on wheelchair, thus using a politician with full working capacity on wheelchair to compare doesn't make any sense. These politicians on wheelchair didn't have 2-3 surgeries per year the last 3 years, long leave and stay at home, they were working full time.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Administrator

So are you basically saying that people who are in wheelchairs can't perform certain job functions?

And Juan Carlos is not a politician. He is a King which certainly different than a politician. And for the record there have been US politicians who because of medical conditions had to have a couple of surgeries and kept their positions, albeit with a modified work schedule. For example the US representative from Illinois, I can't remember his name right away but he had a stroke and after a brief absence came back to Capitol Hill. I believe its up to the citizens to decide if someone is not up for the job because of their health.

Which brings me to this question...are you a Spanish citizen? And the reason I ask is this you are certainly entitled to your opinion and the right to express it....but at the end of the day...only the opinion of the Spanish matter.

So... what do the Spanish think about the King's health. Do they think he should resign, or do they expect him to slow down while he recuperates and have Felipe pick up the slack?

Old 09-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Please keep this thread civil,several post/replies have been deleted one in particular was in very poor taste!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

So are you basically saying that people who are in wheelchairs can't perform certain job functions?
I never said this, I think you need to read properly. I said a country couldn't take a long absence of the Head of State due to poor health, ex. 8 surgeries the last 21/2 years, this can't (shouldn't) go on forever. A few months ago, more than 50% of the population had wanted him to retire, that was before this surgery, now I have no doubt the number would be higher. But it doesn't matter, JC flat-out refused to abdicate, he called a press conference announcing it, I doubt anyone is forcing him to abdicate this moment, by the law, nobody can force the king to abdicate either.
We were only discussing what was best for the monarchy, for the country.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

That is certainly the impression that I have been left with after reading all of that posters views......old=need to be put into retirement, in a wheelchair=unfit to do the job.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
I never said this, I think you need to read properly. I said a country couldn't take a long absence of the Head of State due to poor health, ex. 8 surgeries the last 21/2 years, this can't (shouldn't) go on forever. A few months ago, more than 50% of the population had wanted him to retire, that was before this surgery, now I have no doubt the number would be higher. But it doesn't matter, JC flat-out refused to abdicate, he called a press conference announcing it, I doubt anyone is forcing him to abdicate this moment, by the law, nobody can force the king to abdicate either.
We were only discussing what was best for the monarchy, for the country.
At that time, newspapers reported that 1000's marched calling for him to go. A march organised this weekend saw a few hundreds take to the streets. So there is an ebb and flow to public opinion, and one poll does not give a clear answer.

The issue for Spain isn't the King or even the Monarchy - it's the economy. And blaming a constitutional monarch for that is unrealistic.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I meant SIGMA poll taken in May this year, 55% wanted JC to abdicate, 11% more than the one taken in Jan 2013.
I don't think public blames bad economy on JC or the constitutional monarchy in Spain, but bad economy and high unemployment rate make people less tolerance with corruption, influence peddling, shaddy business (and etc) that involved JC's mistress, his daughter and son-in-law, even JC himself indirectly.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From Hola

El Rey recibe el alta hospitalaria y abandona la clínica Quirón: 'Estoy muy bien. Estupendamente, gracias'
Old 10-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Old 10-02-2013, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From Hello

King Juan Carlos of Spain left hospital on Tuesday, a week after undergoing surgery on his left hip - hellomagazine.com
Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

King Juan Carlos has not looked very well for quite a while, but honestly, I don't think I've seen him look this "sick/bad". He looks very feeble and tired to me. Also, it appears that he's lost a considerable amount of weight just since this last operation.

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Gentry

The King certainly has aged considerably but as long as his mind is sharp there is no reason for his reign to end. The Queen and Prince Filipe can pick up the slack. He is a man who has proved that there is a place in the world for a monarch.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Majesty

Just to think he will have to undergo another operation during the upcoming weeks.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Courtier

I just wish I could feel sorry for him, I just *don't*, he made his bed now let him sleep in it. The way he treats his wife, his son and the trip with his mistress, the way he protects his daughter from the courts when she and her husband have stolen money, he is not a man to be respected nor is he fit to be a king. Something I strongly believe in" Respect is not a given in life just because a person has money, position, power or title, Respect is only given by how you treat other human beings", he deserves no respect at all. Sorry if this upsets anyone, He just does not deserve the respect of the Spanish people. Being a royal means you should set an example for the people , he didn't.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The King looks thinner but still frail at his reappearance on Monday and said he's 'feeling better'

El Rey reaparece, de pie y sin muletas, tras su operación de cadera: 'Me encuentro muy bien'
Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
I just wish I could feel sorry for him, I just *don't*, he made his bed now let him sleep in it. The way he treats his wife, his son and the trip with his mistress, the way he protects his daughter from the courts when she and her husband have stolen money, he is not a man to be respected nor is he fit to be a king ... Sorry if this upsets anyone, He just does not deserve the respect of the Spanish people. Being a royal means you should set an example for the people, he didn't.
I feel bad that he has poor health. Surgery is so tough and he has had the courage to go under the knife time and again ... and he is still not done. I don't condone his affairs, yet think there may be another side to the story. Queen Sofia is said to be a difficult person and for whatever reason, they have an unhappy marriage. I feel bad for both of them that they can't divorce and find happiness in new relationships. I think his life is probably very lonely.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Commoner

It takes a couple of months for people to start feeling better after surgeries like this. It's going take a year before bones heal completely, 100%. And he's older. I think he's going forward one day at a time. Growing old is not for sissies !!

Tags
king juan carlos, king juan carlos health, spains king