King Juan Carlos Undergoes Lung Surgery in Barcelona: May 8, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see the King out of hospital so soon after his operation - hopefully after a good rest we will see him back to official duties

I am glad to see the King has been released from the hospital.May he have a speedy recovery.

^^
And he is right now in a private clinic. I don't know how this is news as he had always used private services but he should not have lied about it, from the first moment the press said that he was in the private clinic inside the public hospital.

The King was installed in the private part for safety and intimacy, but he was in the public system. The private floor of the public and university hospital, is a resource that uses the own hospital to obtain economic resources and to do that the better doctors remain there, that if the situation was different would leave the public health to go away to the private.

The members of the Royal Family use to go to private clinics. Really it is a better solution ... they need safety, extra rooms to attend the institutional visits, places for the press ... their presence in some public hospitals that are very saturated would be really a problem.

The King now continues in Barcelona, to be near the doctors for the reviews and the rehabilitation. In addition, for the present time the doctors do not allow him to fly.

This it can be the opinion of some, but the reality is that is a legal system, and for others a beneficial system, that in the future can be a solution for some of the problems of the public Spanish health system.

http://www.barnaclinic.com/Clinic_1...s&action=change-language&view=collage&lang=en&

The public Spanish health is saturated and needs money, many good doctors prefer going away to the private, if they force them to choose. There are many doctors who are employed at the public health and have private clinics (and they send the patients who can pay it to the private clinic to be attended more rapid), in this case the private is inside the public institution. With this option the public hospital gains money, and prevents many good doctors from leaving the public health and devoting themselves only to the private. You can also bring other benefits, Esther Koplowitz, a rich Spanish businessman, went to the hospital, and remained so glad that through her foundation donated 15 million euros to build a research institute.

The Prince visits Don Juan Carlos in the Planas Clinic of Barcelona

The Prince Felipe visited this evening his father, the King Don Juan Carlos, in the Planas Clinic of Barcelona, where he recovers of the recent surgery during which they extirpated a benign tumor of lung.

El PrÃ*ncipe visita a Don Juan Carlos en la ClÃ*nica Planas de Barcelona

Last edited by a moderator:
The surgery was done by the doctors and nurses working for the public hospital, he stayed at the private floor mainly for the safety reason. Now he does rehab at another private clinic because doctors haven't allowed him to fly yet.

Thank you for enlighten me about the problems of the health care in Spain, I do already know them but that's not the issue here. And in reality we don't know if it's legal or not as no judge has said that this is not against spanish and catalan laws, if the union labours (who are not just "some people") are suing this is because they have a legal basis to do so. And I'm not inventing anything, for example CGT and I've even found the demand.

The problem is not that he used the private clinic but that he said that the public health system was fantastic which was clearly very hypocritical :whistling:

The King has left today the Planas Clinic of Barcelona where he was recovering after his surgery. The doctors already allow him to take a plane, and he returns to Madrid, where he will be able to start realizing works of office.

El Rey regresa a Madrid tras la operación · ELPAÍS.com
El Rey abandona la clínica de Barcelona donde se recuperaba de la operación: "Estoy bien" - RTVE.es

Video
REY ABANDONA LA CLÍNICA PLANAS - RTVE.es

Photos
http://multimedia.hola.com/noticias-de-actualidad/2010/05/21/rey.jpg

BelgaPicture - Category details

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

According to the guest list HM the Queen Sofia will attend the Swedish Crown Princess's wedding solo.
Why so? Is HM the King OK?

Kasumi: King Juan Carlos rarely attends weddings outside of Spain, unless it for family members, such as his niece Princess Alexia of Greece when she married in London. I'm not sure why this is; perhaps it is because of security. He was never really expected to attend Victoria's wedding, recent surgery or not.

According to the guest list HM the Queen Sofia will attend the Swedish Crown Princess's wedding solo.
Why so? Is HM the King OK?

Having previously been told to stop hunting, skiing and racing his yacht, all of which are his favourite pastimes, His Majesty King Juan Carlos has now been told by his doctors that he must follow a strict health regime, and worst of all for him he has also been told to quit smoking.
As such sources say that he is increasingly feeling depressed and he is also going deaf.
The operation he underwent in Barcelona to remove a growth from his lung has left him despondent so, as a result, preparations are now being made to offload many of his diary engagements to his son, Prince Felipe de Borbon, this despite the unhappy relationship the pair are alleged to now share since his marriage to the former Letizia Ortiz.
According to Royal insiders, therein lies the problem, as she appears not to have reached an understanding with the King, or her sisters-in-law.
Their relationship this summer is allegedly one of the worst the King has ever known with the Princess Letizia not allowing her daughters Leonor and Sofia to see their cousins.
KING JUAN CARLOS TO OFFLOAD ENGAGEMENTS | Spain | Leader - News, Sport, Advertising, Property, Classifieds - Costa Blanca, Costa del Sol, Costa Calida, Costa de Almeria, Spain

Now I don't follow the Spanish royals that much so I can't speak on Letizia's relationship with other members of the SRF. I hope the King gets better soon. Or at least adjust to the new restrictions on his lifestyle. I can imagine and empathize with the adjustments.

That being said...the idea that the King would not allow his two granddaughters to hang out/visit/play with his other grandchildren strikes me as a bit ridiculous to say the least. Some of the SRF might have problems with Letizia and vice versa but I have heard of nothing serious enough that warrants such actions.

Last edited:
That being said...the idea that the King would not allow his two granddaughters to hang out/visit/play with his other grandchildren strikes me as a bit ridiculous to say the least. Some of the SRF might have problems with Letizia and vice versa but I have heard of nothing serious enough that warrants such actions.

I dont think its meant that way but its also a fact that for some years now there are no family shoots any longer and the Asturias and Palma / Lugo family are not on the island at the same time.

This year, the Asturias left with their daughters just in time when the sisters in law arrived with their kids. Could be coincidence but it looks like purpose keeping in mind that cousins usually love spending time with each other and its a shame that they dont in this case, Leonor and Irene are the same age. Even though Queen Sofia does her best to keep the family together, there seem to be rifts that cannot be healed in private life where there would be a choice, while in professional life they have to put on a show no matter what.

The King has become quite frail and doesnt seem to care about family issue at all anymore, just doing what pleases him, as usual. Its Sofias task to do the damage control.

Last edited:
If they were acting only for image it would be very easy to coincide two days, or to do an official photo, and with it the yellow press would not create rumors. In Marivent, every family has an independent house, so they all might be there and not to share the same space.

When the Prince was single, after the ditches always he was going away of the island, and after his wedding he has continued doing the same thing. Also the King does it. These are the days that they can take to do trips and to have intimacy ... the Queen or the Infantas can do it when they want.

The Asturias are forced to be in the ditches, and to having dozens of paparazzi chasing them for one week. They don´t use the yacht, nor the Somni, do not invite family or friends...

If the Infantas are absent nobody criticizes them. Really the Infantas must be very grateful, if the Asturias are not in Mallorca the press harasses them much less, and they can use the yacht or the boat without being criticized, even invite their friends. The Queen also does it.

The press always has a weak memory ... for years the Infantas were not meeting in vacations, it was rare to see the Marichalar in Mallorca (they preferred the Hampstons) and Baqueira. The vacations have been changing as the years went by ... and they will change ... the Infantas are not going to have house and free ship in Mallorca forever.

The Queen of Spain is the best actress I ever know..as wife and as mother-in-law.

Exactly.
As a wife, she has always looked ahead, no matter what JC was doing behind or beside her, for the sake of the monarchy.
As a mother in law, she once told her biographer Pilar Urban, when asked what to do if one of her children could not be talked out of getting married to an unsuitable person, that the only choice was to help to make the marriage work, no matter what. That's what she has been doing, even against her own conviction, again, for the sake of the monarchy.
JC owes a lot to Sofia, even though the cracks within the family have become more amd more visible with time progressing, despite Sofia's perfect acting scills.

The Queen of Spain is the best actress I ever know..as wife and as mother-in-law.

This is a serious reproach.

Seems like the press has nothing serious to write during this summer. And when it comes to negative storys they love to take the spanish royals.

In my opinion Queen Sofia is one of the best Queens of her generation. She spends her whole live doing the best for her family and for spain. About her marriage we will never know what was real and what was invented by yellow press. I think there should me no more discussion about it. Over the years there are so many moments where you can see Juan Carlos and Sofia deeply intimate together. I think they have one of the strongest friendship ever.

And when it comes to the relationship of Letizia and the Infantas. I was in Stockholm during the wedding of Victoria and Daniel. I saw Letizia in front of the Grand hotel.. together with Cristina and Elena. And believe me, they had a good time together. And i´m sure this was real and not even a bit of acting.

May I ask a question? (related to Sofia's acting vis-a-vis her role as mother-in-law)

OK. I get the argument that Letizia was unsuitable as Sofia's daughter-in-law because she was divorced (1 year marriage after a long courtship which appears to be her first adult relationship)

1. But does being divorced make one a bad human being, unable to form good loving relationships with others at all?
2. Does being divorced prevent one from being a good professional, able to fulfill ones public role?

All the discussion around Queen Sofia acting around Letizia is built around the initial narrative that developed with engagement was announced. Now many years have passed since the marriage. On what do we base these unsuitability arguments today? Is Letizia cheating on her marriage, is drunk, is blowhard flaunting her royal status, is not hardworking, is frivolous, is not engaged in her duties, is leaving bad impression everywhere, etc, etc, etc....?
What makes us think that it is only Queen Sofia's efforts and acting that is keeping everything together, hiding the real truth?

I buy the argument about Sofia keeping the facade of happy face w.r.t. the King and his infidelities. Infidelity strikes right at the root of a marriage. At some point in time, she must have done some soul searching and come up with a mechanism to have a joint partnership with him vis-a-vis their duty towards their country.

But on what basis are we extending this "deal" that Sofia may have made with herself to Letizia? Can someone give examples that show how Letizia has engaged in bad behavior that strikes hard at the core of what Princess of Asturias should be?
:flowers:

Having previously been told to stop hunting, skiing and racing his yacht, all of which are his favourite pastimes, His Majesty King Juan Carlos has now been told by his doctors that he must follow a strict health regime, and worst of all for him he has also been told to quit smoking.
As such sources say that he is increasingly feeling depressed and he is also going deaf.
The operation he underwent in Barcelona to remove a growth from his lung has left him despondent so, as a result, preparations are now being made to offload many of his diary engagements to his son, Prince Felipe de Borbon, this despite the unhappy relationship the pair are alleged to now share since his marriage to the former Letizia Ortiz.
According to Royal insiders, therein lies the problem, as she appears not to have reached an understanding with the King, or her sisters-in-law.
Their relationship this summer is allegedly one of the worst the King has ever known with the Princess Letizia not allowing her daughters Leonor and Sofia to see their cousins.
KING JUAN CARLOS TO OFFLOAD ENGAGEMENTS | Spain | Leader - News, Sport, Advertising, Property, Classifieds - Costa Blanca, Costa del Sol, Costa Calida, Costa de Almeria, Spain

Duke, This gossip really, really bothers me!

A king whose whole life, whose parent's whole life, whose wife's whole life was devoted to the restoration and stabilization of monarchy in Spain would let petty family squabbles come in the way of continuation of it!!! what the heck are the authors of this article smoking????

It beggars belief!!!

sure, there must be personal tension, or not getting along between members of the family. Who amongst us all is in perfect accord with ALL our in-laws! Even if Cristina and Letizia hate the sight of one another, does that mean that their hatred is more important than the continuation of monarchy? Moreover, what kind of daughter is Cristina that she is letting petty tensions with Letizia undo the work for which her parents, grandparents sacrificed their lives? I mean she is the "ROYAL" one, she is the one who from birth had duty towards monarchy instilled in her...and now she is letting her squabbles with Letizia come in the way of it! What the heck????

Okay, this train has gotten far enough off track. If you would like to discuss the relationships between members of the royal family, please use this thread. Otherwise, let's get back on the topic here-King Juan Carlos's lung surgery and his subsequent health.

previous.gif
That's a great news!! I'm happy for King Juan Carlos and his family!!

Very good news. Maybe he will attend to the W&C wedding. I know that it's rather impossible but who knows..

Which was the last royal wedding JC attended, that was outside of Spain?

I believe that the weddings of his niece Alexia of Greece and of his goddaughter Fleur of Wuttemberg. He does not go to weddings only to those of relatives and godchildren. So I do not believe that he goes to this wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom