The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Juan Carlos Hunting Accident & Trip To Africa 2012

His Majesty the King has had surgery on his hip, this morning, in the USP San José Hospital (Madrid) by Dr. Angel Villamor.

Juan Carlos had suffered a fracture in three fragments of the right hip, associated with osteoarthritis of that joint. There has been a reconstruction of femoral fracture fragments, standing in the same surgical hip replacement.

His Majesty the King entered last night in that hospital on his return from a private trip to Botswana, where he injured his hip in an accidental fall.

In the next few hours, make public a detailed medical report.

Comunicado sobre el ingreso hospitalario de Su Majestad el Rey. Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

Google Traductor

Old 04-14-2012, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Spain's Royal Palace says King Juan Carlos has successfully undergone hip replacement surgery to repair minor damage related to arthritis.
Spain's King undergoes hip replacement surgery

Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 AM
Heir Apparent

vanitatis reports that the king was in botswana in a shooting, hunting elephants. they mention that it is his favourite pastime after he had to stop skiing and that he has visited botswana previously to go hunting in several ocassions.

http://www.vanitatis.com/casas-reale...otswana-18405/
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

With all his problems with his daughter’s husbands it is fine he has a new pastime.
The King was smiling at the Easter Celebration and had a lovely attitude towards the Infantas. Well done !
Old 04-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to El Pais, the king will stay at the hospital about 10 days. Queen Sofia left on Friday to Greece to spend some time with her brother and his family, and she is not scheduled to come back in the next few days.
El Rey es operado de una fractura de cadera tras un viaje a Botsuana | Política | EL PAÍS
According to ABC, the queen will return to Madrid on Monday.
La Reina se encuentra en Grecia de donde regresar el prximo lunes - ABC.es
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Aristocracy

He hunts elephants? Surely not!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallyvee View Post
He hunts elephants? Surely not!
I seriously doubt that but I hope not!

Not a good week for the Spanish Royal Family.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
No , I not think King Juan Carlos do ?
An Ard Ri , who in your avatar ?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzg View Post
No , I not think King Juan Carlos do ?
An Ard Ri , who in your avatar ?
The late Countess of Barcelona,mother of His Majesty The King.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Not a good week for the Spanish Royal Family.
It appears that he does though.

King Juan Carlos has emergency hip replacement after falling during Botswana elephant hunting trip

From the article:
Quote:
Photographs of Juan Carlos posing next to a dead elephant and holding a shotgun were posted on Spanish news websites today. And many Spaniards took to Twitter to criticise the monarch for shooting elephants. 'What a disgrace to see a photo of 'our king' killing elephants in Africa,' wrote Manuel Caballero. Another wrote: 'Killing elephants is the cruelest and most expensive form of hunting.'Some Spaniards were outraged that the king was on an expensive hunting trip in Africa while his country is in the grip of a recession, with a record 4.75 million unemployed.
I do generally like the King, but killing those gentle giants is one of the most despicable and inexcusable things a human being is capable of.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Elena and Victoria Federica visited the king, Felipe (and Letizia ?) is expected to visit the king also this evening.
La infanta Elena visita al Rey acompañada de su hija
Google translation
Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand how anyone could kill elephants. It's one thing to shoot pheasants or deer whose numbers are plentiful and need to be controlled. But killing elephants is something else entirely.

I hope the King recovers, but simply heading abroad on an expensive hunting trip in the middle of the Spain's economic turmoil demonstrates seriously poor judgement in my opinion, particularly given the awful press the SRF are going through.

Leaving aside the elephant hunting issue, which I think most would agree is pretty awful, these continued health problems for JC must be taking a heavy toll. He has seemed frail to me of late and I was surprised he had it in him physically to go hunting. He seems to be on a slow decline (I couldn't think of a better term than that). I don't mean to offend anyone by saying so and I truly hope he regains his health.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I don't understand how anyone could kill elephants. It's one thing to shoot pheasants or deer whose numbers are plentiful and need to be controlled. But killing elephants is something else entirely.

I hope the King recovers, but simply heading abroad on an expensive hunting trip in the middle of the Spain's economic turmoil demonstrates seriously poor judgement in my opinion, particularly given the awful press the SRF are going through.
I agree,I always thought it was illegal but I'm not familiar with the laws protecting them in Botswana.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I agree,I always thought it was illegal but I'm not familiar with the laws protecting them in Botswana.
Botswana is one of the few countries where it is legal to hunt elephants (under strict government control, of course).
When the 1990 ban on ivory trade was introduces Botwsana, along with South Africa, Namibia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe, opposed it. In 1997, it was agreed that Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe could conduct international trade in elephant parts. Since then, over 1,000 tonnes of ivory have been traded by these countries, the last major international trade being in 2008, when China and Japan bought 108 tonnes of ivory from Botswana, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia.

Elephant huntings in Botswana are very expensive, with "cheap" packages starting from $25,000 and the more luxurious ones - from $45,000.

Regardless of any laws, elephant hunting should not be tolerated.
Elephants, like whales, are truly wonders of nature and the way we treat them is despicable.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Elena and Victoria Federica at the hospital
http://ep00.epimg.net/politica/image...rio_grande.jpg
Old 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Aristocracy

King Juan Carlos has emergency hip replacement after falling during Botswana elephant hunting trip

I agree with many of the posters here -- His Majesty seems to be a naturally likable person and certainly possesses a bunch of positive traits, but shooting elephants as an alternative pastime to skiing?

Karma is a bitch.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Felipe visits the King

El Rey recibe la visita del prncipe Felipe - Canal de Vdeos de diariovasco.com
Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

To be candid, I feel sorrier for the elephants than I do the king though I wish him a speedy recovery. I can't tolerate this pleasure hunting for no reason other than to bring back a big-game trophy, and wish the king had engaged in the usual royal pastime of skiing or yachting if he wanted to take a vacation. My respect for him has plummeted as a result of this senseless slaughter, and just because it's legal in Botswana doesn't mean he had to support it.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Felipe
http://estaticos.elmundo.es/albumes/..._albumes_0.jpg
Elena and Victoria Federica
http://estaticos.elmundo.es/albumes/..._albumes_0.jpg
Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Royal Highness

Don Felipe y doña Elena tras visitar al Rey: 'Todos estamos pendientes'