The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

And how deplorable it is that the African states need rely on regulated poaching to create the funds required to preserve the wilderness. Yet another clear example of just how questionable the matter of wealth distribution from and within government really is. Where does it all go one wonders. Evidently not where it is required and or needed.

The slaughter of elephants is such an emotionally involved issue, and I recognise the points made by others who make reference to the many other species of animal that share a similar fate throughout the world. But with scientific and behavioural research which has established the exceptionally high probability that elephants experience a wide variety of behaviours and emotions (such as those associated with grief, fear, learning, mimicry, humour, compassion, co-operation, self awareness, memory, language and parenting) how is it that the slaughter of this species should ever be considered ethical? That it should understand it's been wounded and is dying should the first shot not take it down is really quite heartbreaking.

Infact they are considered one of the most intelligent species in the world.

Its little wonder many researchers now believe it highly immoral to cull them. Though this makes the issue so much more complex when there is an apparent need to reduce numbers. I truly wish I had the answer.

As for the King, has there been any update on his recuperation? How long is it until they have the patient up and walking?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Sofia visits the King today

Fotos La segunda visita de la Reina

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Such a class act. Though no doubt she is of course concerned for her husband's recovery, naturally.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Courtier

Queen Sofia is a saint. Her dedication to her regal role and familial responsibilities is admirable, especially considering the personal trials she seems to have been compelled to endure. A truly remarkable lady.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Queen Sofia is a very admirable lady who has faced with dignity some truly trying times.
However, I can't help but feel the message she's sending to the women in her country is simply wrong.
I understand the sacrifices dedication, duty and family require, but dignity must not be compromised either.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Courtier

good cartoon: Dagelijks alle cartoons uit de krant
the topline reads: Crisis stricken Spaniards outraged by luxury safari of King Juan Carlos
Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is Sofia wearing a jean suit with a jean shirt? Interesting choice.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It could be jeans but it looks to me more like fabric deliberately given denim-like appearance.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Royal Highness

El Príncipe de Asturias visita al Rey tras su viaje a Valencia (Hola.com)
Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
However, I can't help but feel the message she's sending to the women in her country is simply wrong.
I understand the sacrifices dedication, duty and family require, but dignity must not be compromised either.
You raise a valid point, Artemisia. But, due to her unique position, Sofia is not the same as any other woman in Spain, and she never will be.

I personally think she has acted with great dignity. She did not cut her visit to Greece short and rush back to Madrid as soon as this happened to Juan Carlos. Instead, she stayed with her brother's family as long as she had originally planned, presumably because being with Constantine, Anne-Marie, and their family makes her happy. Sofia also apparently spends many (if not most) weekends in London with them, and good for her. Her marriage has been far from ideal and she and her husband reportedly lead more or less separate lives, carrying out some official engagements together during the week and then doing their own thing on the weekend.

Sofia will never leave Juan Carlos because it goes against everything she was raised to believe. She theoretically has the option of course, but she will never exercise it. Doing so would seriously damage the monarchy, and Sofia wants to protect the crown for Felipe.

As I stated, I personally do not feel that the Queen has compromised her dignity or that of the institution she represents. If anything, Sofia has reacted to this with her usual "discretion, poise, dignity, and greatness" (to quote a recent article commending the Queen for the way she has carried herself throughout this situation).
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Last medical report on the health of the King: 'Don Juan Carlos is progressing well'
Último parte médico sobre el estado de salud del Rey: 'Don Juan Carlos evolu | Realeza | Noticias hola.com

Google Google Translate
Old 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Courtier

The WWF España “Requests a Meeting” with Juan Carlos I of Spain. | The Royal Correspondent

I think it best for all concerned if he resigns from any organisation associated with preservation of endangered species. We all know where he stands now!

WWF Spain - WWF España pide una reunión con la Casa Real por el caso de la caza de elefantes del Rey Juan Carlos
Old 04-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
The WWF España “Requests a Meeting” with Juan Carlos I of Spain. | The Royal Correspondent

I think it best for all concerned if he resigns from any organisation associated with preservation of endangered species. We all know where he stands now!

WWF Spain - WWF España pide una reunión con la Casa Real por el caso de la caza de elefantes del Rey Juan Carlos

Totally agree. To retain or to fight for his post is simply hypocritical !!!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtatum View Post
Totally agree. To retain or to fight for his post is simply hypocritical !!!
I agree, but then he [the King] is hypocritical in other sections of his life also, especially his devout religious life when he is so pious in presence of the pope but continues to break commandments. I sincerely feel that he thinks that is is above everyone else and I won't be surprised if he wants to retain his post.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

On the Dutch news the chairman of the WWF said that they should give the king some time to reach an elegant sollution.... but if he didn't find one, the WWF should start a procedure to force him to end his honorary chairmanship. So I think it is likely that the king;s office will announce that he has resigned from this post, hopefully his wife, son or daughter-in-law can take over.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Voluntarily stepping down would be the most gracious action on the King's part under the circumstances.
Hopefully, Prince Felipe will be able to take the position, or perhaps Queen Sofia or Princess Letizia.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm glad that the king is being pressured to resign his position from the WWF because something tells me he won't voluntarily step down. It seems that, to him, being involved in an organization to protect endangered species shouldn't have any bearing upon his right to slaughter those same animals.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
[...] the king is being pressured to resign his position from the WWF [...].
I find it hard to believe the WWF did not know before this incident that King J-C is a keen hunter; this was not his first hunting expedition. Stories (a bear hunt in Romania?) have surfaced before.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

If that's true, this incident is now an embarrassment for the king and the WWF that's on a very serious level and can't be ignored since J-C was also spending an exorbitant amount of money on a hunting trip during an economic crisis in Spain. And if the WWF turned a blind eye before about his hunting, this time it's forced to take action due to the outcry. Better late than never, I say.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Seems that something akin to a mob mentality has taken over regardng the king. Hopefully the Spanish press will focus on much more important things, like the recent nationalisation of a Spanish oil company by Argentina.