King Juan Carlos Hunting Accident & Trip To Africa: 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Totally agree. To retain or to fight for his post is simply hypocritical !!!
I agree, but then he [the King] is hypocritical in other sections of his life also, especially his devout religious life when he is so pious in presence of the pope but continues to break commandments. I sincerely feel that he thinks that is is above everyone else and I won't be surprised if he wants to retain his post.

On the Dutch news the chairman of the WWF said that they should give the king some time to reach an elegant sollution.... but if he didn't find one, the WWF should start a procedure to force him to end his honorary chairmanship. So I think it is likely that the king;s office will announce that he has resigned from this post, hopefully his wife, son or daughter-in-law can take over.

Last edited:
:previous:
Voluntarily stepping down would be the most gracious action on the King's part under the circumstances.
Hopefully, Prince Felipe will be able to take the position, or perhaps Queen Sofia or Princess Letizia.

I'm glad that the king is being pressured to resign his position from the WWF because something tells me he won't voluntarily step down. It seems that, to him, being involved in an organization to protect endangered species shouldn't have any bearing upon his right to slaughter those same animals.

Last edited:
[...] the king is being pressured to resign his position from the WWF [...].

I find it hard to believe the WWF did not know before this incident that King J-C is a keen hunter; this was not his first hunting expedition. Stories (a bear hunt in Romania?) have surfaced before.

If that's true, this incident is now an embarrassment for the king and the WWF that's on a very serious level and can't be ignored since J-C was also spending an exorbitant amount of money on a hunting trip during an economic crisis in Spain. And if the WWF turned a blind eye before about his hunting, this time it's forced to take action due to the outcry. Better late than never, I say.

Last edited:
Seems that something akin to a mob mentality has taken over regardng the king. Hopefully the Spanish press will focus on much more important things, like the recent nationalisation of a Spanish oil company by Argentina.

Last edited:
If that's true, this incident is now an embarrassment for the king and the WWF that's on a very serious level and can't be ignored since J-C was also spending an exorbitant amount of money on a hunting trip during an economic crisis in Spain. And if the WWF turned a blind eye before about his hunting, this time it's forced to take action due to the outcry. Better late than never, I say.
I believe there was an equivilant incident with the DofE.

On the Dutch news the chairman of the WWF said that they should give the king some time to reach an elegant sollution.... but if he didn't find one, the WWF should start a procedure to force him to end his honorary chairmanship. So I think it is likely that the king;s office will announce that he has resigned from this post, hopefully his wife, son or daughter-in-law can take over.

I recall seeing photo's of the Queen with a pair of panda pups. They were such gorgeous photographs. I'd love to see Sofia take over any patronage of the WWF

Last edited:
Awww...i need panda cuddles!! These pictures are so cute, couldn't you just melt?!?!

I wish the King a speedy and full recovery.

However, IMO to remain in a position which advocates the protection of wildlife, whilst killing them for fun is a clear conflict. Hopefully another member of the family can take over the role.

What a lady Queen Sofia is. I hope she has found happiness despite the turmoil that surrounds her.

I wish the King a speedy and full recovery.

However, IMO to remain in a position which advocates the protection of wildlife, whilst killing them for fun is a clear conflict. Hopefully another member of the family can take over the role.

Not entirely correct. The World Wide Fund for Nature concerns itself with the preservation of endangered species. Hunting is not in conflict with that goal as an over abundance of a species is just as bad as diminishing populations verging on extinction.

Elephants are of course a concern in many parts of Africa and Asia although Botswana does seem to have an over abundance and has a legal culling of their elephant herd. The hunting may be politically incorrect in Europe and North America but what is a small country to do if the herds have grown too large?

Some African nations - particularly South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Botswana - have been quite effective in recent years at controlling poaching and fostering healthy elephant populations. In some parts of these countries, government surveys have determined that elephant numbers exceed the carrying capacity of the land and require control through management schemes such as translocation and selective culling of the herds. Because of this, the elephant populations in these countries are no longer considered endangered. Stockpiles of ivory in some of these countries have been allowed to re-enter international trade under very limited circumstances

Last edited:
I'm glad that the king is being pressured to resign his position from the WWF because something tells me he won't voluntarily step down. It seems that, to him, being involved in an organization to protect endangered species shouldn't have any bearing upon his right to slaughter those same animals.

WWF - Wildlife Trade - Elephant Ivory Trade FAQs

This article has information on WWF's position on selective culling of elephant herds.

Protecting wild life is not the same as no hunting. Culling of wild animals is a necessary part of protection and conservation.

King Juan Carlos indescretion is more an issue of lack of empathy for his own family and his country. Wealthy people will spend their money in ways that may seem outrageous to some other people and whether he travels with his mistress is not something new to the spanish people and probably not to Queen Sofia and their family either.

Perhaps the spanish people finally had enough of a lifestyle that is perhaps not the best suitable for an official person of today.

Last edited:
Post deleted because further discussion by myself was going to continue the hunting debate and not have achieved much.

Last edited:
JC had to apologize for PR reasons. Its a shallow apology though. I dont think for one second that he is sorry for what he did (or actually truly understands what was wrong about it), only angry about his unfortunate fall that eventually disclosed his whereabouts.

Having said that, this is the end of it. "It wont happen again". Enough said and back to normality is the message. He will never step aside. JC commands so much respect because of the old boys' network, all those shady or not shady connections that are or came into place when he took over in 1975. He is still very powerful for his country. Felipe cannot follow the path of his father (because it was a one-off situation) what makes him vulnerable and less influencial in certain aspects of being King.

Good for him. Not many Heads of State have the courage to publicly acknowledge "I'm sorry, I made a mistake, it won't happen again".

Well done.

:spainflag:

I agree Alondra,but sadly I think that the flood gates are open and despite the King's sincere public statement it may not be enough.

Back
Top Bottom