King Juan Carlos, Current Events Part 1: June 2014 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The old king gives bad example to younger people.

The old king gives bad example to younger people.

There are millions visiting the bullfights, including children. The attendance of the King has nothing to do with it. Best example: beteen 1931 and 1975 there was no King at all. Bullfights still exists... Note that in my own country (France) there are many, many bullfights too, mainly in the South in an area from the Mediterannée to the Gard, following the Pyrenées to the Atlantic coast.

Big difference with Spain: the bulls are NOT killed. Local youth, usually dressed in all-white outfit, have to pick a cocarde (a coloured ribbon) from between the horns. Not as easy as it sounds when the bull is trying to gore them. Often there is a victory ceremony with local dignitaries (including nobles) in traditional dress.

There are more and more voices to change the Spanish bullfights but as long as millions of Spaniards visit them and TVE and other channels have direct broadcasts, it is hard to change. Note that also important nobles, like the late Duquesa de Alba, are fierce supporters of the traditional bullfights. The Duchess' very own daughter, Doña Eugenia Martínez de Irujo y Fitz-James Stuart, the Duquesa de Montoro (long rumoured as a "candidate" for Don Felipe) even married one of the most glamorous bullfighters from the Ordoñez family (THE bullfighters' family of Spain) in a more-Spanish-than-Spanish ceremony. See picture.

Also famous and beloved Spanish stars like Julio and Enrique Iglesias, Antonio Banderas or Rafael Nadal or members of the royal family like the Infanta Doña Elena visit bullfights. No problem. It is difficult to change it because many Spaniards simply do not understand you, is my experience.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'd never guessed how well JC will come out of the abdication. He looks better, his health seems to have improved a lot, he discovered a second life of freedom and now he does what he wants, without the restrictions the crown has put on him (he never cared about any restrictions from his family).

To me it shows more than ever that he couldn't care less about his family. He does a few jobs for the crown, why not, he is still HM with a lot of grown influence, other than that he travels the world, eats in luxury restaurants either financed by his wealthy friends or his personal fortune.

I haven't read through the magazines lately, is JC's lifestyle post abdication a topic in Spain, I mean Felipe makes an effort about transparency etc etc and his father starts living a jet-setter life, do people care or do they say, ok, let the old King enjoy his last years?

To be honest, this is visible with all three former Sovereigns: Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, King Albert of the Belgians, King Juan Carlos of Spain. All three of them have lived up after the abdication, discover the pleasures of having plenty of free time and no obligations. What exactly is a "jet set lifestyle"? The King visiting the F1 in Bahrein? Why not? It is not that he has to lock himself up in one of the towers of the palace.

King Albert and Queen Paola are for the most part of the year in their villa in Châteauneuf-Grasse (close to Antibes and Cannes) or in Italy where the Queen's family owns several estates.

Princess Beatrix seems to continue a more or less normal royal agenda but she now has a large mansion in The Hague as a pied-à-terre, with an enormous prize tag for the taxpayers (restoration and refurbishment), she enjoys all the privileges (transportation, flying, assistence, first class treatment) she had her whole life.

There seems not to be too much a difference between the three. King Juan Carlos goes to a torrida (bullfight). Princess Beatrix goes to a conours hippique. King Albert goes to Châteauneuf-Grasse. Princess Beatrix goes to Tavarnelle Val di Pesa. What are the differences?

:flowers:

The problem is that Juan Carlos has traveled to London football invited by Arab sheiks, Beverly Hills, to the Dominican Republic (invited by millionaires), according to some media also Bahamas, and now it's the round of invitations from Arab sheiks to the Formula 1.

He is also touring Spain visit the most expensive and exclusive restaurants.

He is not discreet, and the controversies that have always been with hisfriends and their businesses .... only are enhanced with this type of trips.

When King Felipe is making an attempt to clean the royal house of those corruption "ghosts" ... Juan Carlos continues to do what he wants. I think people have assumed that at his age he will not change, and if he has always done what he wanted more now that is free.

Queen Sofía is comparable to other monarchs, divides her time between family and charitable activities. She travels to London or Geneva to see her grandchildren, or visits her native Greece or Mallorca.

There seems not to be too much a difference between the three. King Juan Carlos goes to a torrida (bullfight). Princess Beatrix goes to a conours hippique. King Albert goes to Châteauneuf-Grasse. Princess Beatrix goes to Tavarnelle Val di Pesa. What are the differences?

:flowers:

Imo P.Beatrix (who still does occassional royal engagements and otherwise has retired relatively privately) probably isn't too flattered to be compaired to K.Juan-Carlos who gives the impression of openly living the good life with wealthy friends and not being around his family too much and K.Albert who even occassionaly makes things more difficult for his successor...

The Abdications of King Juan Carlos and King Albert II were unexpected.
In the Netherlands the Situation is the best the actual Monarchs and the Country are repectfull for Princess Beatrix.
In the Netherlands excellent relationship among the whole Royal Family also.

Of course Spain has big names in the Formula One but I understand it. The Formula One has a image which is better not to be connected with. But so has the FIFA, with that horrible creep Sepp Blatter and so had the IOC under Juan Antonio Samaranch (made a Marquis even...). I think it is difficult to keep "clean hands" when you are in such a position but indeed, King Juan Carlos could have chosen other venues. The F1 comes in Spain too (Circuito de Cataluña), Don Juan Carlos could have been there as well. But who knows... maybe the King had businessmen in his slipstream and his visit opened doors for Spanish businesses in Bahrein?

JC is doing what he has always been doing, of course Spain wasn't built up after Franco by the book. The only difference is that back then times were different in terms of morale, press etc and JC and his clique did not feel the need to adapt, for example in JC's heydays it was almost expected to cheat on your wife and hunt elephants for a man in his position. Nobody spoke about it, let alone the press mentioned it. He couldn't care less back then, and still couldn't care less today.

His business deals back then weren't squeaky clean by today's standards and I wouldn't whatever he does today expect to be squeaky clean.

Last edited:
:previous: Was this a scheduled event or was JC there just by chance or leisure time?

:previous: Actually, the article is making a mountain from anything :whistling:

Here is the video. I think JC's reaction was polite and understandable, since the reporter was being very intrusive, IMO. And I think his answer to the reporter's question was ok and polite as well and not dry at all as the article points out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UGWkFF8zgs

I think his reaction is fine, too. I find it rude from the reporter to stick the microphone into the conversation between the two men. He is free to stick it into JC's face when he's talking to him.

I think his reaction is fine, too. I find it rude from the reporter to stick the microphone into the conversation between the two men. He is free to stick it into JC's face when he's talking to him.

I agree, the MEDIA at it's finest.......pushy and low-class.

Back
Top Bottom