King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carlota, princes Letizia attended two weeks ago a WHO meeting to prepare a high-level meeting on nutrition organized by the FAO in Rome in November. After FAO confirmed in a press release that she was invited along with the Pope and other heads of state and government. Being as it was Letizia's agenda and little international role, attending an international high-level conference was a huge surprise. Now that her role will change and she will be the queen, the presence in this act makes more sense.

Also last month, the Prince had a meeting in Costa Rica to prepare the Iberoamerican Summit in November in Mexico ... when it was supposed who attends the summit is the king.

Small details of agenda that seemed a little strange, but now have their explanation.

There's no such title,its Count & Countess of Barcelona,the kings late father held that title and it merged with the crown after his death in 1993.

Anyway, doesn't the part of Spain where Barcelona is situated wish to separate from the rest and gain independence?

Anyway, doesn't the part of Spain where Barcelona is situated wish to separate from the rest and gain independence?

Barcelona is the capital city of the autonomous community of Catalonia in Spain.

Barcelona is the capital city of the autonomous community of Catalonia in Spain.

Yes. And to answer the question regarding the the independence situation there - basically, there have been independence movements there for quite a long time (there is a very strong regional identity in Catalonia, with deep historical roots), and the popularity of these movements seems to rise and fall over the years. They have gained momentum again recently during the economic crisis.

Queen Mum of GB refused to give up her title so without causing a big fuss with her mother, country gave her honorary title of "Queen Mum" but it was never official. Citizens just had to know that she was no longer "top star" . She hated it, but nothing she could do about it.

Not exactly. Upon the death of her husband, George VI, Queen Elizabeth was officially entitled to the style The Dowager Queen, but she was also entitled to the style of The Queen Mother, as she was the mother of the sovereign. Needing a distinct style (so as to differentiate between herself and the new sovereign, Queen Elizabeth II) and not wanting to be known as Dowager Queen Elizabeth, she chose to be known as Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. It was not honorary, it was official; and by all accounts she revelled in being known as The Queen Mum.

Gosh, I wonder whether Felipe and Letizia will do introductory visits as well? At this rate there will be new kings and queens travelling all over the place!
Time to put those frequent flier miles to good use.:p

So we saw in Rome for the last time Queen Sofia Catholic Consort Queen in full Majesty white long lace dress and white lace mantilla . Unforgettable !

Posts regarding the Future of the Spanish Monarchy have been moved to that thread.

The news about the abdication of King Juan Carlos is among the main news internationally, also here in DK, where a brief portrait of him illustrated the important role he played in maintaining the young democracy in Spain.

And here is a 21 pic gallery illustrating his life: Kong Juan Carlos' liv i billeder | www.bt.dk

interesting declarations of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna on the abdication:

The Russian Imperial House of Romanov has expressed regret over the abdication of the throne by King Juan Carlos of Spain in favor of his son, Felipe of Asturias. The head of the House of Romanov, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, lives in Spain.

"The Grand Duchess has great respect for King Juan Carlos, for everything he did for his country, and his decision. Maria Vladimirovna certainly believes that Juan Carlos will retain moral influence until the end of his days. She hopes that his son will continue the cause of his father and bring in a fresh stream of development for Spanish monarchic institutions," the House of Romanov's Chancellery Director Aleksandr Zakatov told Interfax on Monday.
"The Russian Imperial House believes that the head of the dynasty, the reigning monarch must perform his duties until the end. A partial handover of duties and powers to the heir is possible," Zakatov said.
"Maria Vladimirovna respects the position of foreign states but believes the paternalistic element of monarchy must not be abandoned. It gives a lot of advantages, primarily, the independence of the state from parties and groups. The possibility of a monarch abdicating the throne is fairly debatable: the father cannot abandon his subjects, even if he is not as strong as he used to be. Such is the Russian tradition," Zakatov said.
Read more: Romanov royal family expresses regret over Spanish king's abdication - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Message sent by Grand Duke of Luxembourg on the abdication. Can anyone translate it?

https://www.facebook.com/PlaceRoyal...13749967160/10152041315077161/?type=1&theater

I'm not a professional translator, but here is an approximate version in English.

"Majesty,

It is with great emotion that the Grand Duchess and myself have learned of your decison to pass the responsabilities of the Kingdom to your son the Prince Felipe.

As monarch, you have accompanied Spain towards economic and institutional modernity. History will render homage to your 39-year reign.

We remember with joy the bilateral visits and the great affection that you have always manifested to us together with the Queen.

I am sure that the future Sovereigns will accomplish/fulfill their task/job with heart and intelligence. They will base their actions on the solid legacy you bequeath them.

Henri,
Grand Duke of Luxembourg"

Personal note: Both Kig Carl Gustaf's and Grand Duke Henri's notes show how esteemed Juan Carlos was among his royal peers.

Last edited:
I was surprised to heard that annouceed that King carlos abdiction Long Live King Felipe and His wife

Where is Felipe at the moment? has he arrived in El Salvador or is he still in Spain?

Prince Felipe arrived this morning to Spain, and Queen Sofía has traveled to New York tonight.

I have to say I've never really liked JC, but now I'm sad to see him leave!

wow! I was very shocked when I read this this morning. I wonder what was the main reason for him to make such a decision? I wonder if he was just tired of everything and decided it was time, or if he was hoping to boost the image of the monarchy by handing the reins over? Whatever the reason, I'm sure there are a lot of happy people in Spain today. Kinda sad though. Seems to be a trend right now. New generation and all that. but still kinda sad.

I have to say I've never really liked JC, but now I'm sad to see him leave!

As one that hasn't followed the Spanish royal family much, I do have to admit that the bits and pieces that I've read over the past few years gave me the impression that the SRF has been plagued with various negative stories. What really caught my eye though was when he was ousted as honorary president of the Spanish branch of the WWF due to his safari. He really should have known better I think.

Looking at recent pictures, he does not seem to be a man that enjoys good heath. To me, he looks almost as old as Britain's Duke of Edinburgh. Whatever reasons for his abdication, I just hope as the Spanish monarch goes forward under King Felipe and Queen Letizia, its a time of growth, prosperity and peace for the Spanish people.

Back
Top Bottom