King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AFAIK Juan Carlos became King on 22 November 1975.
Therefore his 40th throne jubilee would have been next year.
you are correct with the date of course, i mixed up the years. but still, it would have been a good date to go. jc does not give his health as the main reason to go, we all know he is old but casareal was stressing the past months that the king has recovered well, is full of energy blah blah :whistling:
i dont believe a second that sofia will go back to being a princess.

The reigning royal houses tend not to give their opinions/reaction on such occasions.
I agree. Any communication will be private. I wouldn't be surprised if Juan Carlos and Sofia receive messages from their peers.

IMHO this is the wisest decision to come from Juan Carlos in the past few years. He can be acknowledged for his role in transitioning his nation from a dictatorship to a democracy and now can enjoy his retirement. Good luck to the new King and Queen of Spain.

Please help me understand. Has KJC abdicated effective NOW, Today? Or is it something that is coming in the future? What happens next, does anyone know?

I heard this earlier on the radio but thought I was hearing things! Just watching the live reports on the BBC live from Madrid and it reports that there will be anti Monarchy demonstrations in Madrid later this evening.

Somehow I expected this last year and not now so its all a bit of a shock.I really wish Felipe,Letizia and the girls the very best.I'm hoping the Spanish Monarchy can muddle through this abdication and restore public approval of this damaged and battered institution1

Could the King and Queen become Duke and Duchess of Barcelona? Though it seems most retired Kings and Queens, excepting Princess Beatrix, keep their existing titles.

There's no such title,its Count & Countess of Barcelona,the kings late father held that title and it merged with the crown after his death in 1993.

Please help me understand. Has KJC abdicated effective NOW, Today? Or is it something that is coming in the future? What happens next, does anyone know?
Today KJC still is the king.

The Spanish constitution says in Art. 57(5) that:

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Abdications and renunciations and any doubt in fact or in law which may occur in the order of succession to the Crown, shall be resolved by an organic law."

Apparently, the Spanish parliament never bothered to pass the required organic law, which means that, currently, there is no legal instrument to validate a monarch's intention to abdicate. I suppose the council of ministers will introduce the required legislation in the coming days though. Until the legal question is sorted out, Juan Carlos remains king.
[/FONT]

Just had a thought about Zarzuela,will the King continue to live there with Queen Sofia and Princess Irene?

Will Felipe & Letizia continue to reside at the Princes House?

So many questions to ask!!

you are correct with the date of course, i mixed up the years. but still, it would have been a good date to go. jc does not give his health as the main reason to go, we all know he is old but casareal was stressing the past months that the king has recovered well, is full of energy blah blah :whistling:
I don't think it would have been a good date. Why wait for another 1+1/2 years and then spoil the party (if there would have been one) by announcing your abdication? JC has already been longer on the throne than Beatrix and Albert.

JC may have some faults and made some mistakes but IMO everything he did in life (from childhood on) was in the best interest of the Bourbon dynasty.
I don't think he was forced to abdicate but believe that perhaps last year's abdications showed him that "things must change to stay the same" or become even better (like in NL, Belgium, Vatican).

Actually when I read about the business deals he made in UAE recently I had a feeling that this might be the foreplay of an abdication (contrary to other opinions on this board) - but I didn't feel it would be that soon. I think JC didn't want to go on the absolute low point of his career and waited until he had something to "show off".

Last edited:
What about the Prince of Asturias Awards? Will Felipe continue to preside over them? Or will Leonor be the chairwoman? Or will Letizia (or Sofia) act instead of Leonor?
So many questions..

You are correct. There is more then meets the eye on this. I don't believe the King is all that well and not waiting until he sits as King for 40 years, to me, is telling. I also don't believe that a country should have two Kings and two Queens at same time.

Queen Mum of GB refused to give up her title so without causing a big fuss with her mother, country gave her honorary title of "Queen Mum" but it was never official. Citizens just had to know that she was no longer "top star" . She hated it, but nothing she could do about it. I hope that a special title will be given Sofia as if anyone deserves special treatment now, it is her.

IMHO this has been in the works for months. Breatrix did the old school thing by retiring to her own estate after giving up her position to enjoy a lovely retirement. I just can't see JC accepting that. Will be pleasantly surprised if he does.

Many theories going around here in America at present......most of which are silly and dumb.

What about the Prince of Asturias Awards? Will Felipe continue to preside over them? Or will Leonor be the chairwoman? Or will Letizia (or Sofia) act instead of Leonor?
So many questions..

We'll just have to wait and see what information is released over the next few days!

About the PoA Awards, I´ve been wondering the same since the news broke up.
I´m guessing next October the event will be similar to the first awards for Felipe. He was around 12 (I think) and he was sit next to his father. He read his speech, too (the King didn´t read any).

Leonor is younger, but I think she is capable of doing something like that next October.

So many questions..

It's too early to say. These are questions will be answered in the next coming days or weeks I assume.

So many questions..
All these things will and easily be dealt with
in good time. They are not that important right now. Although they might have been already been taken care of behind closed doors. I guess we will know when they want us to learn.

IMHO this has been in the works for months. Breatrix did the old school thing by retiring to her own estate after giving up her position to enjoy a lovely retirement. I just can't see JC accepting that. Will be pleasantly surprised if he does.
Actually I can see JC accepting that but I can't see Sofia accepting it. I think the transition is going to be more difficult for Queen Letizia than for King Felipe. And it might well be that she will still stand in Sofia's shadow who is after all the most popular member of the RF.

It's difficult to explain why unless you understand Spain. Many Spaniards don't think the monarchy is a fair political choice of head of state. We did after all got rid of Alfonso XIII (JC grandfather) and JC himself was called the Breve "The Brief One".

No many people thought the monarchy could have lasted this long when I voted for the first time in 1978. But it did...and gave our democracy stability and groundness. Juan Carlos reigned in extraordinary circumstances. He was able to navigate a political minefield towards consensus, dialogue and discussion. This is his legacy....and his abdication wraps it up. He's doing what he needs to do for Spain.

There is simply no point of reference of his abdication with those of Holland and Belgium.

Thank you for sharing your perspective as a citizen who lived through Spain's transition in the Post-Franco era.

So many questions indeed, Duke! ;) I guess JC & Sofia will become Prince & Princess now? And Elena could give them a hand or two until Leonor reaches a certain age.

I don't know what JC and Sofia will do regarding their titles. However, I do see Infanta Elena staying on to help her brother and sister-in-law.

Any further details about the abdication legislation to be proved by the Spanish Parliament?

I too think that Queen Sofia & Infanta Elena will help & support the new King & Queen by taking on some more duties and responsibilities.

Felipe and Letizia will be good Kings.

Looking forward to seeing the proclamation.

Well, this news certainly elicited a gasp from me. As many have said, it was unexpected, and yet not. I suspect there is more reason than meets the eye for this decision, but whatever it is, I wish the new king and queen best of luck as well as the outgoing king and queen, and Spain as it goes through this transition.

Last edited:
I'm shocked. I wonder whether the Asturias' 10th wedding anniversary had anything to do with it. Perhaps there was some agreement that the abdication would be announced after that milestone.

wow! what a start to the week - this is definitely breaking news. i saw this this midday when having lunch as one of my co-workers pointed it out as it was on the TV which broadcasts the news in our office - i couldn't believe what i saw.

it's a shame they haven't released more details on what will happen next. maybe this was something on juan carlos' mind for a long time but maybe the final decision was rushed and they weren't expecting to have all the plan in place?

someone told me that as soon as the news spread, protests started throughout Spain asking for a referendum to choose between monarchy and republic. is it true?

yes, this is right, a demonstration will take place today according to the newspaper i read...

Duke, this explains why Queen Letizia will go to the event of FAO in November.;)

what does the event of FAO and the abdication have to do? can you tell us more lula?

JC may have some faults and made some mistakes but IMO everything he did in life (from childhood on) was in the best interest of the Bourbon dynasty.
I don't think he was forced to abdicate but believe that perhaps last year's abdications showed him that "things must change to stay the same" or become even better (like in NL, Belgium, Vatican)..

i forgot that the vatican was also another abdication! it's definitely being the "time for a change". yes, i believe that the fact his counterparts also abdicated combined with the scandals (inaki and cristina's corruption case, the elephant safari, his affaire with corinna...) made him consider this for some time already. i don't think the main reason was the "breath of fresh air" they are portraying in the speech, but obviously they can't tell us the real reasons, which are however known by everyone.

So many questions..

my take is that felipe will continue to preside the act this year, with leonor gaining more protagonism as time goes by, buy continuing to be accompanied either by felipe or letizia until she's an adult, and IMO we will see leonor at the event this year. i think sofia will continue to attend as guest as she has done until up to now.

I guess JC & Sofia will become Prince & Princess now? And Elena could give them a hand or two until Leonor reaches a certain age.

i don't think JC and sofia will now be princes again for some reason... look at the other catholic monarchies: belgium has 3 queens and 2 kings, luxembourg has 2 grand dukes... i believe JC + Sofia will continue to be king and queen.

however, i think it's a strong possibility that now elena and cristina will see their ranks decreased - it will be an "easy way out" of the cristina+iñaki situation to get them out of the way of the new king and queen before the judge pronounces his final decision on the case. sneaky, although maybe they decide to wait to hear the decision and then lower cristina and iñaki's ranks appropriately whilst keeping elena in the line, just in case something happened... always useful to have an adult heir! (and, who knows, maybe elena will get the title of princess of asturias until leonor becomes of age!)

And poor CP Mary will have to continue curtsying to QMII, to Maxima and now to Letizia !

why poor mary? someone will always need to be the last one, if it wasn't her, it would be someone else. you make it sound like it was so bad to have to do it... i doubt mary minds and understands this as the kind of behaviour that is expected of her until she herself becomes queen.

what makes me happy now is that hopefully we can expect several introductory visits to other countries when F+L become king and queen, just like WA+Maxima did or Philip+Mathilde.... looking forward, although the spanish isn't such a booming monarchy and with such an economic crisis, they may decide against it....

what makes me happy now is that hopefully we can expect several introductory visits to other countries when F+L become king and queen, just like WA+Maxima did or Philip+Mathilde.... looking forward, although the spanish isn't such a booming monarchy and with such an economic crisis, they may decide against it....

Gosh, I wonder whether Felipe and Letizia will do introductory visits as well? At this rate there will be new kings and queens travelling all over the place!

Back
Top Bottom