King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An entirely understandable decision though I personally despise the whole idea of abdicating when it isn't a tradition (I feel quite safe that my own monarch wouldn't abdicate – QMII has said that she'll stay on her throne till she falls off).

It is probably best for Spain to have Felipe take over from his father in the light of the past scandals which no doubt have left a mark on Juan Carlos. He has begun to look quite worn out.

My heartiest wishes go out to Felipe and Letizia for a long and merry reign!

Wow! Although I saw this coming, after The Netherlands & Belgium's abdications, it's still shocking the very first moment you hear it!

I will be very glad to see Felipe & Letizia become King & Queen and I'm sure they will do a great job as Heads of State! When is their Coronation taking place?

That may be what he's saying, but the circumstances surrounding his abdication and Beatrix's are completely different IMHO. Keep in mind that Queen Sophia herself said on record at the time of the Dutch abdication that the King of Spain would "never abdicate". I can't help thinking that JC's decision to step down was not completely voluntary.

Me too, his 40th anniversary on the throne this November would have been a good date to go. I am sure there have been some struggles behind the scenes.

Duke, this explains why Queen Letizia will go to the event of FAO in November.;)
;):flowers: exactly, perfect timing!!!

Yes indeed. Just as Queen Elizabeth was only ever the heir presumptive and never Princess of Wales, unless Spain's laws of sucession change, so too will Infanta Lenor remain heir presumptive and never Princess of Asturias.

By Royal Decree 1368/1987, the heir to the throne holds the title of Prince or Princess of Asturias. The title is not restricted to heirs apparent.

I'm incredulous. Are there any monarchies that don't abdicate? (besides British and Jordanian)

:eek:

I will be very glad to see Felipe & Letizia become King & Queen and I'm sure they will do a great job as Heads of State! When is their Coronation taking place?

The date hasn´t been settled yet, but since the government is meeting tomorrow to validate the abdication, I think we could have news after that.

The Spanish press is reporting it will take place before June is ended, though.

An entirely understandable decision though I personally despise the whole idea of abdicating when it isn't a tradition (I feel quite safe that my own monarch wouldn't abdicate – QMII has said that she'll stay on her throne till she falls off).

And poor CP Mary will have to continue curtsying to QMII, to Maxima and now to Letizia !

God Bless His Majesty and the entire royal family. Juan Carlos may not have been perfect, no man is, but he always had the Spanish Peoples best interests at heart. The Spanish people are lucky to have had him. Don't make changes that you will later regret. A president is simply a politician who found enough rich men to put him in office. A king represents tradition, continuity and culture.

Viva El Rey.

I think it is extremely unlikely that Spain becomes a Republic anytime soon, even with all the scandals involving the Monarchy.

I'm incredulous. Are there any monarchies that don't abdicate? (besides British and Jordanian)

:eek:

Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden is still relatively young (68) and said he has no plans to abdicate. Queen Margrethe II of Denmark is 74, but, like Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom, she clings to the notion that being a sovereign is a "job for life". Keep in mind though that Queen Sophia of Spain was also on record last year saying that Juan Carlos would "never abdicate".

There are so many questions now ... style and role of the old kings, will they stay or move out of Zarzuela, the Asturias family moving in? JC will remain advisor for Felipe anyway, but it doesnt sound easy if the parents are still living at the same place.
Now it becomes clearer that Leonor will have a different role that Sofia and she will be groomed accordingly.
And I wonder how they will handle the workload, just the two of them, if the kings stop to be active, especially Sofia, and what about Elena?

Although I had half expected this I was still shocked and saddened when I heard the news. But it is a wise decision.

I am excited and delighted that Felipe and Letizia will now reign.

My best wishes to the whole family.

I hope now Letizia gets the opportunities she has deserved for a long time and that she starts dressing like a queen :p

I doubt King and especially Queen Sofia will fade into the background, it will be difficult to run the SRF as one man/one woman show (with the amount of events they usually cover) as the Infantas are too young for royal duties.

I'm wondering if this was known by the family for awhile now. That would be a good explanation for the Infantas recent appearances.

I doubt Sofia will fade into the background, and she shouldn't. But I do hope she will allow Letizia the opportunity to shine. And yes, let's hope Letizia starts dressing like a queen;)

There are so many questions now ... style and role of the old kings, will they stay or move out of Zarzuela, the Asturias family moving in? JC will remain advisor for Felipe anyway, but it doesnt sound easy if the parents are still living at the same place.
Now it becomes clearer that Leonor will have a different role that Sofia and she will be groomed accordingly.
And I wonder how they will handle the workload, just the two of them, if the kings stop to be active, especially Sofia, and what about Elena?

So many questions indeed, Duke! ;) I guess JC & Sofia will become Prince & Princess now? And Elena could give them a hand or two until Leonor reaches a certain age.

Sofia's health is very good and she can certainly continue to carry out official functions. She can support her son, and her granddaughters, in their new, even more important roles.

Last edited:
My jaw just about hit the floor when I saw the news this morning. I didn't see it coming.

I'm wondering if this was known by the family for awhile now. That would be a good explanation for the Infantas recent appearances.

I doubt Sofia will fade into the background, and she shouldn't. But I do hope she will allow Letizia the opportunity to shine. And yes, let's hope Letizia starts dressing like a queen;)

I suspect it will be especially tough for Queen Sophia. She seems to be "old school" like Queen Elizabeth II and probably deplores the concept of abdication. I am pretty sure though that she will keep the title of "queen" like Paola of Belgium.

Me too, his 40th anniversary on the throne this November would have been a good date to go. I am sure there have been some struggles behind the scenes.

It does seem a weird time with the 40th jubilee in November approaching - if he was going to abdicate one would have predicted after that say for instance start of 2015. Speculation will mount about his knowledge and involvement with various scandals

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the King and Queen become Duke and Duchess of Barcelona? Though it seems most retired Kings and Queens, excepting Princess Beatrix, keep their existing titles.

Could the King and Queen become Duke and Duchess of Barcelona? Though it seems most retired Kings and Queens, excepting Princess Beatrix, keep their existing titles.

Dutch law actually says that a monarch upon abdication reverts to "prince/princess of the Netherlands". I assume that the "organic law" on abdications that the Spanish government will introduce will also contain provisions for the title and style of former monarchs.

Hope king JC & queen Sofia will keep their titles.

And poor CP Mary will have to continue curtsying to QMII, to Maxima and now to Letizia !
One might assume that Prince Charles is more livid.
Thank you very much for the link, Lady Finn.
Any other reactions from other royal houses ?
The reigning royal houses tend not to give their opinions/reaction on such occasions.

Last edited:
Me too, his 40th anniversary on the throne this November would have been a good date to go. I am sure there have been some struggles behind the scene.
AFAIK Juan Carlos became King on 22 November 1975.
Therefore his 40th throne jubilee would have been next year.

Back
Top Bottom