The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Carl Gustaf's statement about king Juan Carlos' abdication
Kommentar med anledning av att Spaniens Kung Juan Carlos abdikerar - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Aristocracy

Sofia's health is very good and she can certainly continue to carry out official functions. She can support her son, and her granddaughters, in their new, even more important roles.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
My jaw just about hit the floor when I saw the news this morning. I didn't see it coming.
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
I'm wondering if this was known by the family for awhile now. That would be a good explanation for the Infantas recent appearances.

I doubt Sofia will fade into the background, and she shouldn't. But I do hope she will allow Letizia the opportunity to shine. And yes, let's hope Letizia starts dressing like a queen
I suspect it will be especially tough for Queen Sophia. She seems to be "old school" like Queen Elizabeth II and probably deplores the concept of abdication. I am pretty sure though that she will keep the title of "queen" like Paola of Belgium.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Me too, his 40th anniversary on the throne this November would have been a good date to go. I am sure there have been some struggles behind the scenes.
It does seem a weird time with the 40th jubilee in November approaching - if he was going to abdicate one would have predicted after that say for instance start of 2015. Speculation will mount about his knowledge and involvement with various scandals

Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Aristocracy

Could the King and Queen become Duke and Duchess of Barcelona? Though it seems most retired Kings and Queens, excepting Princess Beatrix, keep their existing titles.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Nobility

Gallery: King Juan Carlos of Spain's top moments - hellomagazine.com
Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Horthy View Post
Could the King and Queen become Duke and Duchess of Barcelona? Though it seems most retired Kings and Queens, excepting Princess Beatrix, keep their existing titles.
Dutch law actually says that a monarch upon abdication reverts to "prince/princess of the Netherlands". I assume that the "organic law" on abdications that the Spanish government will introduce will also contain provisions for the title and style of former monarchs.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Majesty

King Juan Carlos abdicates| Blogs - -Spletnik.ru

King of Span abdicates -- Tengrinews.kz

This abdication is a pacifying placebo for crowds that are embattled by ailing economy. It is unfortunate that real royals retire. It is sad that King Juan Carlos was not allowed to celebrate his jubilee.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
King Carl Gustaf's statement about king Juan Carlos' abdication
Kommentar med anledning av att Spaniens Kung Juan Carlos abdikerar - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation
Thank you very much for the link, Lady Finn.

Any other reactions from other royal houses ?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hope king JC & queen Sofia will keep their titles.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

BBC world service:
Quote:
Spain's King Carlos feels his son needs a "clean slate" if the monarchy is to survive, says Spanish history expert BBC World Service - Newshour, Spain’s King Carlos ‘stained’ by the economic crisis
Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
And poor CP Mary will have to continue curtsying to QMII, to Maxima and now to Letizia !
One might assume that Prince Charles is more livid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Thank you very much for the link, Lady Finn.
Any other reactions from other royal houses ?
The reigning royal houses tend not to give their opinions/reaction on such occasions.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Serene Highness

Casa Real website is also being updated. You can only see the message of the king and nothing else. No agenda, no family members, nothing..
Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de Espaa - Mensaje de Su Majestad el Rey a los espaoles

Also since the announcement Casa Real's Twitter feed is bombarding its followers with old pictures of Juan Carlos.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Me too, his 40th anniversary on the throne this November would have been a good date to go. I am sure there have been some struggles behind the scene.
AFAIK Juan Carlos became King on 22 November 1975.
Therefore his 40th throne jubilee would have been next year.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
AFAIK Juan Carlos became King on 22 November 1975.
Therefore his 40th throne jubilee would have been next year.
you are correct with the date of course, i mixed up the years. but still, it would have been a good date to go. jc does not give his health as the main reason to go, we all know he is old but casareal was stressing the past months that the king has recovered well, is full of energy blah blah
i dont believe a second that sofia will go back to being a princess.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The reigning royal houses tend not to give their opinions/reaction on such occasions.
I agree. Any communication will be private. I wouldn't be surprised if Juan Carlos and Sofia receive messages from their peers.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

IMHO this is the wisest decision to come from Juan Carlos in the past few years. He can be acknowledged for his role in transitioning his nation from a dictatorship to a democracy and now can enjoy his retirement. Good luck to the new King and Queen of Spain.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Royal Highness

The best decision and in my opinion, long overdue
Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Aristocracy

Please help me understand. Has KJC abdicated effective NOW, Today? Or is it something that is coming in the future? What happens next, does anyone know?

Tags
abdication, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, king juan carlos abdication