The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Courtier

I have followed El Rey ( I still have think of Juan Carlos as "King"!) since the end of the Franco regime, and have always been impressed by how he has handled the stresses of the monarchy and his evident love for Spain. Can't say I'm surprised by this announcement but will be very interesting to see what the future holds. Viva Espana and God bless the royal family!

Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Aristocracy

God Bless His Majesty and the entire royal family. Juan Carlos may not have been perfect, no man is, but he always had the Spanish Peoples best interests at heart. The Spanish people are lucky to have had him. Don't make changes that you will later regret. A president is simply a politician who found enough rich men to put him in office. A king represents tradition, continuity and culture.

Viva El Rey.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Now that we have had the annoucement, it will be interesting to see how quickly Parliament get the neccessay laws and procedures established - are we talking this week. Isnt there a state visit next week from Mexico and Armed Forces Day - will Felipe be installed as King before these key events or will these by the final ones of King Juan Carlos

I have a sense of impatience now as to the lenght of time before we see King Felipe and Queen Letizia!!!!!!! I figure JC's annoucement was not a shock to the spanish PM or government and that they can act quickly

Old 06-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Nobility

Netherlands, Belgium now Spain!
European monarcies are abdication boom.......
Now we will see new King Felipe VI , new Queen Letizia
AND new Crown Princess Leonor , Princess of Asturias
God bless the royal family!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Serene Highness

WOW is all I can say, I thought about this before but didn't think he would really do it, God Bless the Royal Family and especially the New King and Queen!!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

An entirely understandable decision though I personally despise the whole idea of abdicating when it isn't a tradition (I feel quite safe that my own monarch wouldn't abdicate – QMII has said that she'll stay on her throne till she falls off).

It is probably best for Spain to have Felipe take over from his father in the light of the past scandals which no doubt have left a mark on Juan Carlos. He has begun to look quite worn out.

My heartiest wishes go out to Felipe and Letizia for a long and merry reign!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow! Although I saw this coming, after The Netherlands & Belgium's abdications, it's still shocking the very first moment you hear it!

I will be very glad to see Felipe & Letizia become King & Queen and I'm sure they will do a great job as Heads of State! When is their Coronation taking place?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That may be what he's saying, but the circumstances surrounding his abdication and Beatrix's are completely different IMHO. Keep in mind that Queen Sophia herself said on record at the time of the Dutch abdication that the King of Spain would "never abdicate". I can't help thinking that JC's decision to step down was not completely voluntary.
Me too, his 40th anniversary on the throne this November would have been a good date to go. I am sure there have been some struggles behind the scenes.

Quote:
Duke, this explains why Queen Letizia will go to the event of FAO in November.
exactly, perfect timing!!!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Yes indeed. Just as Queen Elizabeth was only ever the heir presumptive and never Princess of Wales, unless Spain's laws of sucession change, so too will Infanta Lenor remain heir presumptive and never Princess of Asturias.
By Royal Decree 1368/1987, the heir to the throne holds the title of Prince or Princess of Asturias. The title is not restricted to heirs apparent.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Serene Highness

I'm incredulous. Are there any monarchies that don't abdicate? (besides British and Jordanian)

Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post

I will be very glad to see Felipe & Letizia become King & Queen and I'm sure they will do a great job as Heads of State! When is their Coronation taking place?
The date hasn´t been settled yet, but since the government is meeting tomorrow to validate the abdication, I think we could have news after that.

The Spanish press is reporting it will take place before June is ended, though.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
An entirely understandable decision though I personally despise the whole idea of abdicating when it isn't a tradition (I feel quite safe that my own monarch wouldn't abdicate – QMII has said that she'll stay on her throne till she falls off).
And poor CP Mary will have to continue curtsying to QMII, to Maxima and now to Letizia !
Old 06-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And poor CP Mary will have to continue curtsying to QMII, to Maxima and now to Letizia !
And I am completely certain that she doesn't mind doing so

– and you forgot Mathilde.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Horthy View Post
God Bless His Majesty and the entire royal family. Juan Carlos may not have been perfect, no man is, but he always had the Spanish Peoples best interests at heart. The Spanish people are lucky to have had him. Don't make changes that you will later regret. A president is simply a politician who found enough rich men to put him in office. A king represents tradition, continuity and culture.

Viva El Rey.
I think it is extremely unlikely that Spain becomes a Republic anytime soon, even with all the scandals involving the Monarchy.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I'm incredulous. Are there any monarchies that don't abdicate? (besides British and Jordanian)

Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden is still relatively young (68) and said he has no plans to abdicate. Queen Margrethe II of Denmark is 74, but, like Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom, she clings to the notion that being a sovereign is a "job for life". Keep in mind though that Queen Sophia of Spain was also on record last year saying that Juan Carlos would "never abdicate".
Old 06-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

There are so many questions now ... style and role of the old kings, will they stay or move out of Zarzuela, the Asturias family moving in? JC will remain advisor for Felipe anyway, but it doesnt sound easy if the parents are still living at the same place.
Now it becomes clearer that Leonor will have a different role that Sofia and she will be groomed accordingly.
And I wonder how they will handle the workload, just the two of them, if the kings stop to be active, especially Sofia, and what about Elena?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Marie-Chantal will have to curtsy, too! lol
That's the funny part of monarchies!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Courtier

Although I had half expected this I was still shocked and saddened when I heard the news. But it is a wise decision.

I am excited and delighted that Felipe and Letizia will now reign.

My best wishes to the whole family.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I hope now Letizia gets the opportunities she has deserved for a long time and that she starts dressing like a queen

I doubt King and especially Queen Sofia will fade into the background, it will be difficult to run the SRF as one man/one woman show (with the amount of events they usually cover) as the Infantas are too young for royal duties.
I'm wondering if this was known by the family for awhile now. That would be a good explanation for the Infantas recent appearances.

I doubt Sofia will fade into the background, and she shouldn't. But I do hope she will allow Letizia the opportunity to shine. And yes, let's hope Letizia starts dressing like a queen
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
There are so many questions now ... style and role of the old kings, will they stay or move out of Zarzuela, the Asturias family moving in? JC will remain advisor for Felipe anyway, but it doesnt sound easy if the parents are still living at the same place.
Now it becomes clearer that Leonor will have a different role that Sofia and she will be groomed accordingly.
And I wonder how they will handle the workload, just the two of them, if the kings stop to be active, especially Sofia, and what about Elena?
So many questions indeed, Duke! I guess JC & Sofia will become Prince & Princess now? And Elena could give them a hand or two until Leonor reaches a certain age.

Tags
abdication, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, king juan carlos abdication