King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glad he abdicated. For the sake of the monarchy. Long live King Felipe and Queen Letizia. :flowers:

The speech has started. next to JC is a picture of himself, Felipe and Leonor.

He praised his son and successor in his speech and said he is mature and well prepared.

Last edited:
He says that it's time for another generation to take over... Felipe represents stability for Spain and he wants the best for Spain... He has beent thinking of abdicating since his birthday in January... He says that Felipe is ready also thanks to the support of Letizia... He added that he wants to say thank you to the Queen too...

Sorry for my huble summary!

I think, he is simply tired...... tired of all the scandals, dramatic loss of popularity and getting more and more fragile health.
BYe Bine

I hope now Letizia gets the opportunities she has deserved for a long time and that she starts dressing like a queen :p

I doubt King and especially Queen Sofia will fade into the background, it will be difficult to run the SRF as one man/one woman show (with the amount of events they usually cover) as the Infantas are too young for royal duties.

Part of me is surpried by this news, Juan Carlos and Sofia always seemed the monarch for life no abdicting image. But his health has been bad in the last number of years and he has had to cut down his role alot. Also there have been many scandals, the hunting trip, Cristina etc.

I guess this has been annoncement has been coming and being prepared over the last few months - Felipe and Letizia havnt been as active in public engagements since Easter and there has clearly been 'behind the scenes' prep for this in regards to them and their future. My guess is maybe they waited until after they had celebrated their 10th wedding anniversary and now that has passed the time has come

Good luck to the new King and Queen and also Leonor who is now the youngest heir (i think) in Europe

I agree with you.

I feel sorry for Leonor. Her childhood has just finished.

King Juan Carlos has been good and strong king to Spain, but even strong king can get sick and tired. Hope he can enjoy his retirement without more health problems. It may now be good time to a new king Felippe VI. All the best also to Felippe and Letizia.

I hope now Letizia gets the opportunities she has deserved for a long time and that she starts dressing like a queen :p

I doubt King and especially Queen Sofia will fade into the background, it will be difficult to run the SRF as one man/one woman show (with the amount of events they usually cover) as the Infantas are too young for royal duties.

I hope for a better PR and Letizia being more visible as a "standalone" Person, not only a "shadow consort".

I really really would like to know, what is Happening behind the Scenes of Zarzuela, especially with the "Grey eminences" in the RH, who wanted to Keep Letizia "small", and fighted against her..... I hope they will get their "well deserved Penalty". :whistling:
Bye Bine

I'm shocked by all the 3 abidications! They are so closed! :-( Just think it: in few momths 3 monarchs abidcated!

So Leonor is now Princess of Asturias? I think little Sofia remains an Infanta..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app

So Leonor is now Princess of Asturias? I think little Sofia remains an Infanta..

I think so... yes
BYe Bine

I hope for a better PR and Letizia being more visible as a "standalone" Person, not only a "shadow consort".

I really really would like to know, what is Happening behind the Scenes of Zarzuela, especially with the "Grey eminences" in the RH, who wanted to Keep Letizia "small", and fighted against her..... I hope they will get their "well deserved Penalty". :whistling:
Bye Bine
I wonder who will get the blame in the future whenever Queen Letizia gets a bad press. Probably still the abdicated king and the "grey eminences".:whistling:

But I sincerely wish them good luck for the future. Hopefully things will turn out well for them.

Last edited:
What happens in regards to the Prince of Asturias awards and Prince of Girona awards - will Felipe and Letizia continue with these until Leonor is older.

I guess there are many questions and processes to work out with this abdication and time will tell how the monarchy in Spain will work under Felipe

I wonder who will get the blame in the future whenever Queen Letizia gets a bad press. Probably still the abdicated king and the "grey eminences".:whistling:

A VERY good question.... yes, this could be, as JC maybe is no longer "in the Center of power of the RF".... time will tell....

If I would be Felipe, I would fire at least the main "traitors" within the Grey eminences.....
BYe Bine

What about Queen Sofia? How will she be styled? Princess?

I don't think so, it's not a automatically title. It needs to be approved. When King Juan Carlos became King, Felipe was not made Prince of Asturias right away, that title was given 2 years later.

Just heard the news. Long Live The King & Queen!!!!!

I'm sure thoughts are running through the British royals minds.

I am sorry to see him looking so frail. An end of an era and tremendous responsibilities for Felipe and Letizia and their young family. I hope the Spanish people will respect and support them .

:lol::lol::lol: I don't believe that CP Letizia will start dressing like queen ;) Queen in cardigan or T-shirt? ;) - Sorry for my irony...

It's been just a week since I left Madrid. It was my second time there for holidays (first time in Madrid was 20 years ago - I have been in Barcelona twice, last time 2 years ago). I have to say that I was impressed with the beauty of the city and the pleasantness of the people. The sun was shining, the city full of tourists and the young madrilenios full of energy watching Real Madrid x Altletico de Madrid, plus it was San Isidro feast. We went for a day trip to Toledo just one day after the Princes of Asturias were there.
Being Brazilian of mostly Portuguese ascendency, I cannot not stress enough how confortable I felt in Spain and how proud I was of its beauty and wonderful people.
I had the oportunity to talk to a 32 year old taxi driver about the monarchy and he only said he was against it, although he was proud of the Royal Palace.
I wish Spain all the best in this time of transition.

hmm

The problem is that there is opportunity of male heir, and Spain kingdom is based on male-preference cognatic primogeniture unfortunately.,

Farewell and well done. It was time to abdicate.

Why though? Can someone explain this to me? It's not a tradition in the SRF to abdicate like in the dutch RF, is it?

Makes me wonder what shoe is about to drop in the House of Bourbon.

Back
Top Bottom