The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #421  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Ccile's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: paris, France
Posts: 1,369
Do we know if foreign royals will be invited to the ceremony on the 19th of June?
__________________

__________________
My blog about princesses & fashion!

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Esmerelda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccile View Post
Do we know if foreign royals will be invited to the ceremony on the 19th of June?
http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/06/06/...79_213277.html

No foreign royals.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Alondra's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccile View Post
Do we know if foreign royals will be invited to the ceremony on the 19th of June?
No foreign royals are invited to the proclamation. There is no space available with a joint seating of parliament and senate.
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:58 AM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Interesting that many fellow-posters immediately felt stinged like a wasp and jump on articles clearly written purely on base of a testimonium de auditu. (Hearsay from a person that apparently has learned from another person whom apparently claims to have seen or heard something).
If the official referred to in these articles didn't say these things to El Mundo, then he can come out and publicly refute them.

At least in this case a source for these comments has actually been named, which is more than we usually get. People can give whatever degree of weight to this piece that they feel appropriate based on that.
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 AM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 3,600
The Law of Abdication is being voted now in the Congress. Here is a link to the Live broadcasting:
Canal 24 horas en directo
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!


Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:45 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,478
Yay: 299
Nay: 19
Abstention: 23

The law has passed.
"Posada anuncia el resultado de la votación. Votos emitidos 314. Sí: 299. No: 19. Abstenciones: 23. Queda aprobado el proyecto de ley orgánica de abdicación."
http://www.abc.es/espana/rey-juan-ca...406110801.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27792134
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0EM16B20140611
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:54 AM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 3,600
Next week, on Tuesday 17, the Senate will vote in favour of against the Law. If it is approved, next day (Wednesday June 18) the King will sign and sanction the Law and next day, June 19, the BOE will publish it. Then, it will be effective and Felipe will be King, and the same day he will be proclaimed.
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!


Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 18,625
Zarzuela Palace has confirmed that King Juan Carlos will not attend the proclamation at the Congress, to give all the attention to his son.

Queen Sofía, infanta Elena, infanta Pilar and infanta Margarita will attend. Infanta Cristina will not attend.

PROCLAMACIÓN FELIPE VI: El Rey no asistirá a la proclamación de su hijo el 19 de junio en el Congreso | Política | EL PAÍS
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 2,960
It makes sense, Juan Carlos and Cristina should not be present.
__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 18,625
June 18

18:00

Solemn act of enactment and promulgation of the law of abdication at the Royal Palace

June 19

9:30

King Juan Carlos impose the sash of Captain General to King Felipe at Zarzuela Palace

10:00

King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Princess of Asturias and infanta Sofía will leave Zarzuela Palace

10:30

Arrival to the Congress.
Army representatives will perform military honors to the new king.
Act of proclamation.
Speech of King Felipe.
Military Parade.

11.30

Route by car from the Palace of Congress to the Royal Palace

13:00

Greeting from the balcony of the Royal Family. King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Princess of Asturias, Infanta Sofía, King Juan Carlos abd Queen Sofía.

Reception at the Royal Palace

Proclamación Felipe VI: El Rey no asistirá a la proclamación de su hijo el 19 de junio en el Congreso | Política | EL PAÍS
Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 2,960
I assume then that Juan Carlos and Sofia will retain their titles.
__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I assume then that Juan Carlos and Sofia will retain their titles.
I don't think an announcement on their future titles has yet been made.
Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 PM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
June 18

18:00

Solemn act of enactment and promulgation of the law of abdication at the Royal Palace

June 19

9:30

King Juan Carlos impose the sash of Captain General to King Felipe at Zarzuela Palace

10:00

King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Princess of Asturias and infanta Sofía will leave Zarzuela Palace

10:30

Arrival to the Congress.
Army representatives will perform military honors to the new king.
Act of proclamation.
Speech of King Felipe.
Military Parade.

11.30

Route by car from the Palace of Congress to the Royal Palace

13:00

Greeting from the balcony of the Royal Family. King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Princess of Asturias, Infanta Sofía, King Juan Carlos abd Queen Sofía.

Reception at the Royal Palace

Proclamación Felipe VI: El Rey no asistirá a la proclamación de su hijo el 19 de junio en el Congreso | Política | EL PAÍS
Thanks Lula, it sounds good. I guess it will be broadcasted since minute 0 (that´s it, Zarzuela Palace at 9:30 in the morning). I hope the coverage will be fine as well.
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!


Reply With Quote
  #434  
Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 3,305
Thank you for the schedule of events Lula. I have to admit that I'd love to have Felipe's family present to support him at this time, but I can understand that the presence of certain members could be controversial. They'll have their own reception later.
Reply With Quote
  #435  
Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown, Barbados
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I wonder what went on behind the scenes. The old man will surely have protected himself. This will be hard on everybody, we'll see how active for example Sofia will stay. Juan Carlos will probably become some kind of Elder Statesman, still using his connections. There will be a lot of pressure on the Asturias family now, Leonor becoming Princess of Asturias at the age of 9.
You were right Duke!There is more to King Juan Carlos' abdication than meets the eye! Why would he continue to need total legal protection after he has abdicated?
Government seeking total legal protection for Juan Carlos after crown handover | In English | EL PAÍS
Reply With Quote
  #436  
Old 06-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
You were right Duke!There is more to King Juan Carlos' abdication than meets the eye! Why would he continue to need total legal protection after he has abdicated?
Government seeking total legal protection for Juan Carlos after crown handover | In English | EL PAÍS
We will never know the full story as to why JC gave up the throne he so desperately wanted. There is for sure so much more then meets the eye in regards to him and his daughter. He has left Spain in such a mess and the Queen left with what...........her future was in his hands and he just destroyed all he touched. I hope he fades to the background and just disappeares forever and take his daughter with him. Karma sure came back and bit him big for all the problems that he has caused. He really needs to look in the mirror and be hones with himself which will never happen.
Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old 06-14-2014, 04:06 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
We will never know the full story as to why JC gave up the throne he so desperately wanted. There is for sure so much more then meets the eye in regards to him and his daughter. He has left Spain in such a mess and the Queen left with what...........her future was in his hands and he just destroyed all he touched. I hope he fades to the background and just disappeares forever and take his daughter with him. Karma sure came back and bit him big for all the problems that he has caused. He really needs to look in the mirror and be hones with himself which will never happen.
Come on Elizabeth... "He has left Spain in such a mess"... I think you have missed the fact that Spain is governed by a democratically elected Government and comprises of 17 autonomous regions, all with their own Governments and parliaments, holding great executive powers? How can a ceremonial head of state have left "Spain in such a mess"? Is it his fault that the real estate bubble exploded? Is it his fault that the worldwide crisis which started in the United States engulfed the world and hit his nation mercilessly hard?

This King started his Reign as a puppet from dictator Franco but, despite being indoctrinated as Franco's effective hostage, nevertheless took a firm hand and lead Spain into the modern world, to liberalize the country, to join the EU and NATO. Spain, in the 1980's still one of Europe's poorest countries made a gi-gan-tic boom in the Reign of King Juan Carlos. It started with the best Olympics ever, the one of Barcelona 1992. Then the world suddenly saw a new and a modern Spain. The nineties and the first decade of the millenium saw Spain as one of Europe's economic miracles. The King's reputation and public approval rose to unseen heights.

The deep crisis hit Spain hard. Almost half (!) of the youth can not find work. Spain and the Spaniards had to bring immense sacrifices to keep up those financial giants to prevent the whole nation tumbling down. With draconic measures Spain has now found the right way. Of course this immensely affected the trust the Spaniards have in their country, in the State, the institutions of State, the financial world, all embodied by the person of the King. They see that Spaniards are enforced to leave their properties. They see that Spaniards have to queue for food banks. They see that the best and the brightest leave the country to find jobs elsewhere. It is only natural that the general discontentment translates into more zest amongst separatists, more hostility against "the gentlemen there high up above us in Madrid" and ultimately embodied by the most profiled Spaniard of all, the King.

Please, no any of today's present Kings has endured what Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón had. Born in exile in Italy. Spending his youth in Portugal. Back in Spain being separated from his parents and "hostaged" by Franco to brainwash him in a "true patriot" (according his fascist ideology). He saw his brother-in-law loosing his throne in Greece. He had to fight for his sake amongst scepticism and pretenders. In the first years as King he was met with suspicion, the Spaniards fearing a second Franco hidden behind that smile. The coup d'état by discontent military which was slashed down by the King's unlimited support towards democracy.

Really... Palmam Qui Meruit Ferat (Honour Those Deserving Honour). After the announcement of the abdication, the Spanish media were overflooded with retrospectives about the King's Reign. The Spaniards have -again- realized how eventful the King's Reign was, how they all live in a total different Spain than when the King started. The praise and the approval for the King's Reign is high but all admit that it was wise he abdicated. The King visibly is in pain, the Spaniards see a very aged, old man suffering physic problems. Behind him they see a tall, healthy and proud Prince, full of zest and facing a bright future. It is only natural that such a change revives an institution. We saw it in Belgium. Even in the Netherlands, where the approval for Queen Beatrix was rock high, her abdication rejuvenated the Royal House.

Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old 06-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
You were right Duke!There is more to King Juan Carlos' abdication than meets the eye! Why would he continue to need total legal protection after he has abdicated?
Government seeking total legal protection for Juan Carlos after crown handover | In English | EL PAÍS
It is logical. The King is inviolable, the ministers are responsible. That is the core essence of a constitutional monarchy. This means that the Government is accountible for actions of the King. This also means that the King can not bring the Government into a position that it can not take its responsibility for his actions. In all monarchies this practically means that the hereditary and non-elected head-of-state is under guardianship of a democratically elected Government.

For almost 40 years the King has signed, promulgated, sanctioned actions of the Government, giving his approval to sometimes highly debated actions by the Government. It is natural that also the abdicated King can not be prosecuted for actions in his role as head of state. As modern Spain has not had an abdicated King before, this must be legally arrranged otherwise -for an example- the mother of a killed ETA-terrorist might prosecute the citizen Juan Carlos de Borbón for having sanctioned actions of the Spanish security forces which killed her son. "He, Juan Carlos, is responsible for my son's assassination by his fascist police! He approved it all!".

For actions after his kingship, Don Juan Carlos is as prosecutable as any other Spaniard. See his own daughter (who is not prosecuted b.t.w., just investigated).
Reply With Quote
  #439  
Old 06-14-2014, 05:15 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,441
Here, here, Duc et Pair,

most beautifully put, altho' there are MANY here who are 'judge an jury' and have found both Cristina and Juan Carlos guilty, without trial !
Reply With Quote
  #440  
Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: olney, United States
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Come on Elizabeth... "He has left Spain in such a mess"... I think you have missed the fact that Spain is governed by a democratically elected Government and comprises of 17 autonomous regions, all with their own Governments and parliaments, holding great executive powers? How can a ceremonial head of state have left "Spain in such a mess"? Is it his fault that the real estate bubble exploded? Is it his fault that the worldwide crisis which started in the United States engulfed the world and hit his nation mercilessly hard?

This King started his Reign as a puppet from dictator Franco but, despite being indoctrinated as Franco's effective hostage, nevertheless took a firm hand and lead Spain into the modern world, to liberalize the country, to join the EU and NATO. Spain, in the 1980's still one of Europe's poorest countries made a gi-gan-tic boom in the Reign of King Juan Carlos. It started with the best Olympics ever, the one of Barcelona 1992. Then the world suddenly saw a new and a modern Spain. The nineties and the first decade of the millenium saw Spain as one of Europe's economic miracles. The King's reputation and public approval rose to unseen heights.

The deep crisis hit Spain hard. Almost half (!) of the youth can not find work. Spain and the Spaniards had to bring immense sacrifices to keep up those financial giants to prevent the whole nation tumbling down. With draconic measures Spain has now found the right way. Of course this immensely affected the trust the Spaniards have in their country, in the State, the institutions of State, the financial world, all embodied by the person of the King. They see that Spaniards are enforced to leave their properties. They see that Spaniards have to queue for food banks. They see that the best and the brightest leave the country to find jobs elsewhere. It is only natural that the general discontentment translates into more zest amongst separatists, more hostility against "the gentlemen there high up above us in Madrid" and ultimately embodied by the most profiled Spaniard of all, the King.

Please, no any of today's present Kings has endured what Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón had. Born in exile in Italy. Spending his youth in Portugal. Back in Spain being separated from his parents and "hostaged" by Franco to brainwash him in a "true patriot" (according his fascist ideology). He saw his brother-in-law loosing his throne in Greece. He had to fight for his sake amongst scepticism and pretenders. In the first years as King he was met with suspicion, the Spaniards fearing a second Franco hidden behind that smile. The coup d'état by discontent military which was slashed down by the King's unlimited support towards democracy.

Really... Palmam Qui Meruit Ferat (Honour Those Deserving Honour). After the announcement of the abdication, the Spanish media were overflooded with retrospectives about the King's Reign. The Spaniards have -again- realized how eventful the King's Reign was, how they all live in a total different Spain than when the King started. The praise and the approval for the King's Reign is high but all admit that it was wise he abdicated. The King visibly is in pain, the Spaniards see a very aged, old man suffering physic problems. Behind him they see a tall, healthy and proud Prince, full of zest and facing a bright future. It is only natural that such a change revives an institution. We saw it in Belgium. Even in the Netherlands, where the approval for Queen Beatrix was rock high, her abdication rejuvenated the Royal House.

I agree with you on all counts.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abdication, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, king juan carlos abdication


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roles within the Spanish Royal Family after King Juan Carlos' Abdication royal-blue Royal Family of Spain 42 07-31-2014 10:02 AM
The Abdication of King Juan Carlos: June 18, 2014 dazzling King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia 129 06-20-2014 09:15 PM
King Albert II Announces his Abdication: July 3rd 2013 principessa Royal Family of Belgium 268 07-11-2013 02:31 PM
Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013 Marengo Princess Beatrix 391 04-16-2013 09:26 AM




Popular Tags
baptism best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill countess of snowdon crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark dutch state visit fashion poll general news grand duchess maria teresa hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king abdullah in australia king felipe king felipe vi king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy natural disasters news november 2016 october 2016 paris picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde visits jordan queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises