The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by assia View Post
I wonder if we will see Infanta Cristina and Don Inaki attending the installation of the new King
I very much doubt that.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Mbruno, that has happened before. Infanta Isabella, the eldest daughter of Queen Isabella, was proclaimed Princess of Asturias until birth of her niece, as well as Infanta Mercedes, daughter of King Alfonso, until her death since her father died before her brother was born and she died before her brother Alfonso had an heir.

Infantaw Isabel was also Princess of Asturias from her birth until her brother the future Alfonso XII. was born.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I guess they are taking for granted that Felipe and Letizia won't have any more children. What if Letizia, who is already 41, unexpectedly gets pregnant and gives birth to a baby boy ?

I know that scenario is very unlikely, but, formally speaking, I don't think a decision on Leonor's becoming Princess of Asturias should be made before the constitution is officially amended to eliminate male-preference primogeniture.
She won't officially be Princess of Asturias until age of majority which is quite a few years away. Plus the fact that Letizia had an awful time bearing and delivering children really doesn't vote well for her having any more, especially as she gets older.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

So, are we looking at another event for foreign royals to gather to welcome a new King again?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by assia View Post
I wonder if we will see Infanta Cristina and Don Inaki attending the installation of the new King
I can't see that happening, especially Inaki. Just too iffy at present. Cristina might have the brass to attend and in my heart, I think their children should attend as it is their uncle who is becoming King. Such a sad situation for that family. I'm sure that Sofia would love to see her grandchildren attend such an historical family event.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Probably in the next few days investigation of Noos case will be closed, and Iñaki and Cristina will be formally charged, awaiting trial. So I think it's impossible they will attend the event.

There will be no foreign guests.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

In New York they got Sofia's reaction to the news

Doña Sofia en NY habla por vez primera spbre la abdicacion: "Mi hijo esta al tanto de todo, no va a haber ningun problema en el cambio"
Doña Sofia in NY speaks for the first time on firms abdication: "My son is in the know, there will be no problem in changing"

La Reina sobre la Princesa Letizia: "que siga igual que esta, encantadora, la quiero mucho"
The Queen of Princess Letizia "continue like this, lovely, love her"

https://twitter.com/desdemanhattan
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I can't see that happening, especially Inaki. Just too iffy at present. Cristina might have the brass to attend and in my heart, I think their children should attend as it is their uncle who is becoming King. Such a sad situation for that family. I'm sure that Sofia would love to see her grandchildren attend such an historical family event.
Correct if I'm wrong, but, when Willem-Alexander was inaugurated (in a much more high profile ceremony than a Spanish proclamation), although all adult members of the Dutch royal family were in attendance, I don't recall Prince Constantijn's or Prince Friso's children being present. I also believe Philippe's nephews/nieces did not attend his inauguration as King of the Belgians.

Maybe the extended Spanish royal family won't attend the official swearing-in ceremony in the Cortes, but will be present at the inauguration mass, which I'm sure will also include invited guests from foreign royal families.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

i dont know if this a reliable newspaper but
The mayors of Cervera, Balaguer (Lleida), Montblanc (Tarragona) and Girona have shown their rejection of the Infanta Leonor inherit noble titles of his father when Felipe becomes King.

Los alcaldes de Cervera, Balaguer, Montblanc y Gerona rechazan que Leonor herede los t?tulos - Libertad Digital

Are noble titles different from royal titles?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

This is from Royal Musings

The Prince of Asturias will be proclaimed as King Felipe VI on June 16, according to a spokesman for the Spanish royal house.

The new royal family will consist of King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia, the Princess of the Asturias, Infanta Sofia, and King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

Felipe's two older sisters, Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina, will cease to be members of the Royal Family, which means they will no longer carry out official engagements. The two sisters will not lose their royal titles or their dynastic rights, but they will be in the same position as King Juan Carlos' two sisters, Infanta Pilar and Infanta Margarita, who are members of the King's family.)

Juan Carlos's two sisters did lose their rights when they married, and their descendants do not have succession rights to the Spanish throne.

Infanta Cristina and her four children live in Switzerland. Infanta Elena and her two children live in Madrid. She has continued to carry out official engagements on behalf of the royal house, but her official work will cease when her brother becomes King.

The official swearing-in ceremony will take place some time in July. It will not be a coronation, but the crown will be on display during the installation, where the new King Felipe VI will agree to uphold the constitution.

El Rey abdica: Las infantas saldrán de la familia real cuando reine Felipe VI | Política | EL PAÍS

Im surprised about Elena

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

A smaller and effective Monarchy is best, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Probably there will be no mass. King Juan Carlos was proclaimed king with the laws of Franco, then Catholicism was the state religion. Now Spain is a secular country, there is no state religion, and the king has no legal obligation to be Catholic.

When Juan Carlos was proclaimed king, he was sworn by God, there was a crucifix and members of the Church in a central place. When the prince swore at 18 years the constitution, all disappeared.

The event will be in the Congress, which must accommodate the deputies and senators. This is done only at the opening of Legislatures and space is very limited. So they will invite only the indispensable.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe a Te Deum??
Old 06-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
The mayors of Cervera, Balaguer (Lleida), Montblanc (Tarragona) and Girona have shown their rejection of the Infanta Leonor inherit noble titles of his father when Felipe becomes King.

Los alcaldes de Cervera, Balaguer, Montblanc y Gerona rechazan que Leonor herede los t?tulos - Libertad Digital

The titles are of the Crown, so they can not prevent Infanta Leonor to inherit them. They may not admit it, but has no value, it is just a propaganda element of the political independence groups of Catalonia.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

"The Infantas will leave the Royal House when Philip VI Reigns." El Rey abdica: Las infantas saldrán de la familia real cuando reine Felipe VI | Política | EL PAÍS

"Don Juan Carlos will lose his immunity when he ceases to be King"
Don Juan Carlos perder? su inviolabilidad cuando deje de ser Rey | Espa?a | EL MUNDO

Just want to clarify, though, about Infanta Leonor. Several sources confirm that she will inherit her father's titles - Princesa de Asturias, Girona y Viana.

However, when she reaches the age of majority, she will swear allegiance to the Crown and the Spanish Constitution, as her father did.
La infanta Leonor será la Princesa de Asturias tras la abdicación del Rey Juan Carlos y la coronación del príncipe Felipe - ANTENA 3 TV

Leonor, la Princesa de Asturias del siglo XXI

And here, as well - Tras la coronación de su padre, Felipe de Borbón, la infanta Leonor será la nueva Princesa de Asturias.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post

It are ancient titles of the historical dynasty and are no noble title in the sense that these are ad personam for life and eventually hereditary. These titles are connected with the position of the Heir.

Compare it with the title Prince of Orange. That principality was occupied by Louis XIV in 1672. After some re-takes by the Nassaus, the principality was finally, de facto and de jure given up by the Treaty of Utrecht 1713. The King of Prussia and the head of the Orange-Nassau dynasty kept the right to use "Prince of Orange" as a dynastic title. This situation exists until the day of today.

So those majors, suddenly talking about titles they have not even realized before, are just grabbing the opportunity to score some home-goals in the separatist Catalonia.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you Duc_et_Pair, casualfan, and lula, for the responses to my title question and Leonor

Its good to hear that she will inherit those titles too. I thought it might be something like the British title "Duke of York" that only gets passed down to sons.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Royal Highness

It was only yesterday that JC and Sofia were marrying in 1962 in Athens where all the houses of Gotha were present.They have been an ideal couple with no scandals and have served with intelligence and .I will miss them.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Courtier

King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
It was only yesterday that JC and Sofia were marrying in 1962 in Athens where all the houses of Gotha were present.They have been an ideal couple with no scandals and have served with intelligence and .I will miss them.

Ideal couple? Is all I've heard about their failed marriage just rumours?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Ideal couple? Is all I've heard about their failed marriage just rumours?
Well I'll say that some royalists were likely pleased to see the daughter of a reigning king marrying the heir-to-the-throne of Spain.

Also the couple has prepared their son very well IMHO and each has served the nation for decades. I believe that they can be proud of this.

Won't comment upon their happiness as a couple.

Tags
abdication, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, king juan carlos abdication